Jets--they really aren't much, if at all better than Bills

Big Turk

We might have better overall talent than the Jets, but how do we match up in the leadership department?

Who are the leaders on the Bills? Kyle Williams, but he's hurt. Aaron Williams, but he's hurt. Mario Williams, nope, great player but not a leader. Jerry Hughes seems to be the only player on defense who's excited to play, and he's a head case who can't go a whole game without a stupid penalty. On offense, Wood I suppose. Watkins could become that guy but doesn't seem inclined that way. Shady ought to be the leader but he doesn't seem to want the job.

As much as I hate what Wrecks did to the defense, I see a team that lost so-so players but good to great leaders, like Fred Jackson, Scott Chandler, and maybe Spikes. Without leadership among the players, supporting the coach, a team can't win.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Face it. We kicked Fitz to the curb when we should have kept him. It forced us into the whole EJ-Kolb-Orton-TT debacle. Three more years of playoff futility. Fitz is leading his team to the playoffs this year, and yes, I think they will beat the Bills at the Ralph next week (I actually want to see like a Jest 56 Bills 0 beatdown so they'll make a "let's start Rob Johnson" knee-jerk decision and fire Rex). Our head coach turns a top 4 D into a top 20 D, an NFL-leading sack machine into a top 30 sackless (in more ways than one) machine. Their head coach gets the most out of his players. Our OC designs plays for Thiggy, and ignores Sammy for the first half of our season. Their OC has Fitz throw to Brandon Marshall over 100 times.

As far as injuries, we were the ones that cut Fred and had no NFL-caliber RB's for two games. Every team in the NFL deals with injuries, and the good teams overcome them with depth and simple schemes that the 2nd and 3rd string can grasp. You always hear about OC's simplifying the game plan for new QB's, but do we ever hear about Ryan simplifying his D for a new CB? We found out how complicated that D was when they admitted that Jim Leonhard extended his career far past his prime simply because he was one of the few people on the planet who could decipher the hieroglyphics and get the secondary lined up properly.

I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that saying the Jest aren't that good is simply sour grapes. They're 10-5 and we're 7-8. Scoreboard.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

Face it. We kicked Fitz to the curb when we should have kept him. It forced us into the whole EJ-Kolb-Orton-TT debacle. Three more years of playoff futility. Fitz is leading his team to the playoffs this year, and yes, I think they will beat the Bills at the Ralph next week (I actually want to see like a Jest 56 Bills 0 beatdown so they'll make a "let's start Rob Johnson" knee-jerk decision and fire Rex). Our head coach turns a top 4 D into a top 20 D, an NFL-leading sack machine into a top 30 sackless (in more ways than one) machine. Their head coach gets the most out of his players. Our OC designs plays for Thiggy, and ignores Sammy for the first half of our season. Their OC has Fitz throw to Brandon Marshall over 100 times. I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that saying the Jest aren't that good is simply sour grapes. They're 10-5 and we're 7-8. Scoreboard.

yup...could have had eifer instead of ej and loaded this team with talent. Wouldn't have sammy but maybe we draft benjamin instead.

Yes, the Jets may make the playoffs but in large part were helped by their 4th place schedule versus the Bills 2nd place schedule.

Doesn't make a difference, you say?

Well, consider the Jets got to play the Browns and the Raiders while the Bills played the Bengals and the Chiefs. Jets played teams with a combined 10-20 record while the Bills played teams with a 21-8 record, both of which will likely be heading to the playoffs. If you think that doesn't make a difference, you are crazy.

Granted, the Jets did a better job against the 8 easy games from the AFC South/NFC East(helped by an idiotic decision by Tom Coughlin which likely cost his team the game), going 6-2 versus the Bills, who went 4-4, but we also beat the Jets head to head once and I wouldn't be surprised if we beat them again next Sunday.

This great disparity people think there is between the Jets and the Bills simply doesn't exist, and in large part is reflected in their record because of playing a 4th place schedule versus a 2nd place schedule AND the fact they have been one of the healthiest teams in the NFL this year. In fact, in some advanced metrics sites, such as this one:

http://sagarin.com/sports/nflsend.htm

the Jets have played the easiest schedule in the NFL. Notice the Bills and Jets are ranked right below each other even though the Jets have a 3 game advantage in the win column.

So, while the Jets may make the playoffs this year, they were helped greatly by their schedule, and lack of key injuries.

People say all that matters is wins and losses, and that is true, but who you get to play and how many players you have injured sure play a large role in determining your wins and losses as well...

Watching how their defense plays and the way our defense plays tells me they are better

Yes, the Jets may make the playoffs but in large part were helped by their 4th place schedule versus the Bills 2nd place schedule.

Well, consider the Jets got to play the Browns and the Raiders while the Bills played the Bengals and the Chiefs. Jets played teams with a combined 10-20 record while the Bills played teams with a 21-8 record, both of which will likely be heading to the playoffs. If you think that doesn't make a difference, you are crazy.

Granted, the Jets did a better job against the 8 easy games from the AFC South/NFC East(helped by an idiotic decision by Tom Coughlin which likely cost his team the game), going 6-2 versus the Bills, who went 4-4, but we also beat the Jets head to head once and I wouldn't be surprised if we beat them again next Sunday.

This great disparity people think there is between the Jets and the Bills simply doesn't exist, and in large part is reflected in their record because of playing a 4th place schedule versus a 2nd place schedule AND the fact they have been one of the healthiest teams in the NFL this year. In fact, in some advanced metrics sites, such as this one:

the Jets have played the easiest schedule in the NFL. Notice the Bills and Jets are ranked right below each other even though the Jets have a 3 game advantage in the win column.

So, while the Jets may make the playoffs this year, they were helped greatly by their schedule, and lack of key injuries.

People say all that matters is wins and losses, and that is true, but who you get to play and how many players you have injured sure play a large role in determining your wins and losses as well...

I do agree with you the Jets are a byproduct of their schedule & my guess is it will show it's ugly head in the playoffs whedn they get dismantled but....even with the second place schedule if the Bill beat the Jags on a neutral field & beat a below average Giants team at home next Sunday's game against the Jets would be for the 6th wildcard spot.

Matter, the Jets lost to the Raiders, and had a better record against the same opponents. Also, if that were true, why for so many years are we the 4th from the year before, but keep missing the playoffs. Bottom line is the more obvious, we are not that good. We're just a mediocre team. That win was fine yesterday, but it was a seriously ugly game, and was close until 2 minutes left in the game.

Just watched the Jets-Pats replay. Fitz was not all that sharp the entire game. But the Jets D terrorized Brady. We used to have a defense that did that.

Bills defense did kick the crap out of Brady in the 2nd pats game

Halfrod was dazed and confused and had no idea what to do unfortunately that night.

I wonder what people will say when the Jets crush the Bills next week in the culmination of their turnaround since they dumped Mr. Ryan,

The Jets are better, healthier and have way more to play for. Besides the playoffs they still haven't gotten their payback vs Ryan the way he did against them on Thursday night. While the Bills roll out a divided team with some players playing at half speed the Jets are going to come out like their hair is on fire. If the Bills play like they did vs Dallas this week then the Jets will win by 30 points.

Edited by vincec

The healthy Bills are the more talented team. Not by a huge margin......but enough to distinguish them in that regard, IMO.

You can't tell though because the defensive scheme has made a lot of competent players look like scrubs.

Would I trade talent though? Considering that the Jets D was basically hand picked for Rex that would be a tough call.

But Sammy and Tyrod have a chance to have much better futures than their counterparts in NY.

And since all we have here in Buffalo is next year.......i wouldn't trade rosters either.

IMO, if Tyrod starts for the Jets he does just as well if not better than Fitz though.

This^^

The injuries make them better right now (we are down 10 starters) but overall we are slightly better.

Injuries DO matter. "Next man up" is nice but not very realistic.

But yet you ignore the main points:

1) They played the easiest schedule in the NFL, which helps them look a lot better than they actually are.

2) They had virtually no key injuries the entire year while numerous teams they played have been decimated by them(Dallas, NE, and Bills---3 in a row to end the year)

injuries Bills could be w/out 10 season opener starters when they play Jets on Sunday

This^^

The injuries make them better right now (we are down 10 starters) but overall we are slightly better.

Injuries DO matter. "Next man up" is nice but not very realistic.

Yeah, how did that work for us against Jacksonville and for Dallas pretty much all season?

Coming into today's game, the Bills had been penalized 425 more yards than the Jets. That's huge. A few years ago, I started looking at total yardage differentials (total offense - total defense + opponents yards penalized - your own yards penalized) correlated with wins. I didn't get very far ... I'm a stats geek but I do have a job and a life ... this is one for a community college kid in his mom's basement. It's kind of like run differential in baseball -- you can do a very rough "pythagorean record" thing. The correlation isn't that great, but it's there. While I think the talent levels of the Jets and Bills are very similar, the penalties do have an impact. Call it the "measurable effect of coaching," good or bad. For the Bills, bad. For the Jets, good. It matters.

last year, the Bills had 900 more accepted penalty yards than the Jets. Are you sure it's the coach?

I got a lot of respect for Bowles. He doesn't try to win press conferences and adjusts his defense to fit his team. Ganley is a great OC and this is the most talented personnel he has had in years.

They overachieved and we underachieved. But you are what your record says you are.

They're a team with a better record, a better d, a better special teams,a better coach. Maybe our offense is comparable, but the Jets are the better team. Way better. They are going to steam roll us.

Yes.

There is a lot of delusion in this thread. Presumably that will fuel all the predictions of a Bills division title next August.