Hoodie Outsmarts Himself

Casey D

Won the OT toss and elected to kick off. Jets take ball, score 6 and win. He should have cheated.

I saw this and I think the official blew it.

I heard the official say "you want to kick" or some variation of that, and I believe the Patriots guy thought he said "you want the kick", and responded with "yes we want to kick that way" thinking they were going to get the kick.

The official should have never suggested an option. Blown call, and the pats fans are going to whine a lot now. The officials are out to get them you know.

Edited by What a Tuel

I heard the official say "you want to kick" or some variation of that, and I believe the Patriots guy thought he said "you want the kick", and responded with "yes we want to kick that way" thinking they were going to get the kick.

The official should have never suggested an option. Blown call, and the pats fans are going to whine a lot now. The officials are out to get them you know.

Bad karma I guess.

Your both wrong. The player blew it. He clearly said kick. I replayed it right after it happened. No doubt in my mind.

I do think that hoodie has the team so conditioned to defer that it caused the player to screw the pooch but to think he wanted to kick is nonsense.

nope

Slater says he checked a few times with Belichick to make sure he wanted to kick if they won the toss. "There's not much to it."

He actually said this post game? I replayed it too, then what was his confusion? Why would Belichick want to kick? I guess he did outsmart himself

My tweets aren't posting right but

@mikegarafalo

Slater says Belichick told them to kick off. Only confusion was whether they got to choose direction.

Slater says he checked a few times with Belichick to make sure he wanted to kick if they won the toss. "There's not much to it."

Pats fans saying he did it on purpose to get Jets in playoffs and Steelers out

My tweets aren't posting right but

@mikegarafalo

Slater says Belichick told them to kick off. Only confusion was whether they got to choose direction.

Pats fans saying he did it on purpose to get Jets in playoffs and Steelers out

Interesting thought. I would certainly rather play the Jets than the Steelers despite their loss to the Ravens somehow.

Your both wrong. The player blew it. He clearly said kick. I replayed it right after it happened. No doubt in my mind.

I do think that hoodie has the team so conditioned to defer that it caused the player to screw the pooch but to think he wanted to kick is nonsense.

Apparently it is not nonsense.

My heart breaks. :lol:

Except that I don't buy it. Someone as prepared as he does not kick in a possible one possession game. He's covering for his player, or he's covering his own ignorance of the OT rules.

I enjoy you saying he's too prepared but could be he didn't know the rules.

I'm guessing he weighed the percentage of first drive tds vs the benefit of knowing what you need to get and found it better to know.

I'm guessing he weighed the percentage of first drive tds vs the benefit of knowing what you need to get and found it better to know.

I find that crazy to believe, but, if it's the case it finally proves his fallibility. The emperor has no clothes!!!

Maybe he has no respect for FitzChan and assumed they wouldn't score

I think it's a combination of this, and the fact that they just stopped them at the end of the 4th quarter. Maybe he thought the D would get a quick 3-and-out and he would just need a field goal to win.

I'd venture he did it based on stats. Which doesn't mean you always win, even if statistically speaking it's the right choice

I think the hoodie thought Fitz would be the Fitz of old.

This is the new improved Fitz.

Except that I don't buy it. Someone as prepared as he does not kick in a possible one possession game. He's covering for his player, or he's covering his own ignorance of the OT rules.

Nobody knows the rules (particularly to manipulate them) better than the cheat.

Maybe he has no respect for FitzChan and assumed they wouldn't score

yep

His decision, IMO, was based on a lack of respect to Fitz and the Jets being the Jets.

WHy the lack of urgency at the end of the first half?

Who cares, he has been clever enough to lead the Patriots to massive success, so a mistake now and then is no big deal. Considering the bumbling of Wrex Ryan, it's laughable to see any Bills fans gloating.

All we have are small, indirect victories.

I'd venture he did it based on stats. Which doesn't mean you always win, even if statistically speaking it's the right choice

I imagine 538 or someone else will do a statistical analysis of this. My gut impression: electing to kick is probably the best choice even though it's counterintuitive.

Why? Well, think about it:

- Jets scored TDs on 2 of 9 previous possessions. Not a great ratio. Plus they had the following drives on prior possessions: 5 plays, 16 yards; 3 plays, 5 yards; 3 plays, 7 yards; 6 plays, 26 yards. In other words, in 4 of 9 drives they gained 26 yards or less. That means double the chance of a punt (putting NE in the driver's seat) than of a sudden-death Jets TD.

- if the Jets kick a FG on their initial possession, NE still has a strategic advantage: the know they can continue OT with their own FG, or they can go for the kill by shooting for the end zone.

So I don't think there was any mistake here at all. I think Belichick and Ernie Adams had this figured out from a statistical and game theory perspective, but (as noted in the comment above) sometimes the best strategy backfires. That doesn't mean it wasn't a sound strategy.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Don't you ever tire of your own nonsense?

The Bills are out of it again. We have a clown for a coach, but people want to gloat over a minor mistake by what might be the greatest coach of all time.

I realize that the Bills crappiness is a disappointment to all here, and maybe particularly a moderator, but don't take it out on me.

Thanks so much.

Edited by HoF Watkins