Who Still Likes the Rex Hire

billsfan_34

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. That's on the players. It's not " rocket surgery" . Don't commit pre snap and generally dumb penalties. They know this. Some guys just don't play smart and you have to weed them out. Many of them were here before and had a rep for penalties already. I mean, how often is Mario Williams flagged? Is he being coached " better" than Jerry Hughes?

Its common knowledge that heavily penalized teams lack discipline- im talking from a team standpoint. And this team has Rex's footprint. We can agree to disagree.

BFS: battered fan syndrome. I have it too. I'll be back next year.

Great I have that along with PTSD- im screwed lol

Could it have been a collective show of support and relief from constantly worrying about the future of the team in Buffalo? That awakened the inner fan in folks who had become unwilling to get emotionally and financially invested in a team that looked destined to leave? Even casual NFL fans knew the team still lacked a proven QB ( and still does) and that Brady and Belichick still resided in the AFC East. So I have a hard time believing THAT many fans were so blindly optimistic faced with that reality. Some , perhaps . But it seemed more a celebration that the Bills belonged to Buffalo for good. After week 17 last year, most Bills fans weren't even expecting a change at HC. The offseason moves were interesting , but obviously not enough to catapult this roster into contention.

I can't deny your point about the relief from the worry of losing our team. I am certainly among those folks who were very concerned. But we also have a 16-year sobering track record to consider as well. No one sells belief like the Bills and this was yet another example of "hook planted firmly in fan mouth."

Think about the level of ineptitude it takes to not make the playoffs over 16 consecutive seasons. There can be no true bandwagon to jump on until the Bills are in the post season. Until then, every change they make DESERVES all the skepticism a Jerry Sullivan can muster. Every Jets fan on planet Earth can rightly say, "I told you so."

I can't deny your point about the relief from the worry of losing our team. I am certainly among those folks who were very concerned. But we also have a 16-year sobering track record to consider as well. No one sells belief like the Bills and this was yet another example of "hook planted firmly in fan mouth."

Think about the level of ineptitude it takes to not make the playoffs over 16 consecutive seasons. There can be no true bandwagon to jump on until the Bills are in the post season. Until then, every change they make DESERVES all the skepticism a Jerry Sullivan can muster. Every Jets fan on planet Earth can rightly say, "I told you so."

Those Jets fans can say that, but they also got to witness their team make the playoffs and get to 2 AFC tile games, knocking off the Pats in Foxboro along the way. These are things Bills fans can only dream of, so my empathy meter isn't exactly running high for Jets fans. Every NFL teams job is to sell " hope" in one way or another, especially when half the teams lack a top QB, and wins are never guaranteed . At least the Bills made moves . Probably not good enough yet.

Hue Jackson my friend

Why hue jackson. Why not TODD BOWLES?!?!?!?! The guy who is 8-5 and is in our conference with that record.

And Brandon Marshall... And Regis and skrine... That team made wholesale upgrades after blasting all the dead money in 2014

And decker

Under Marrone and Schwartz Hughes was a more effective player. Yes, he had a tendency to periodically jump offsides last year but without a doubt he was a more effective player. Under the prior regime Dareus was not only one of our best defensive players on the team but he was one of the best defensive linemen in the league. His play has noticeably dropped off this year.

Mario Williams is a shell of what he was. I'm not going to blame his vanishing act on the coaching staff and the change in scheme. I strongly believe that he is playing with an injury to his foot that is severely impairing him.

I've never been a Rex Ryan fan. As far as I am concerned he is a self-promoting huckster. He had initial success with the Jets but the longer he coached them the worse the team got. When he left the team was in a shambles. Based on his record with the Jets his hire was not only a bad hire it was a peculiar hire.

The Jets are a better team with an upward trajectory without the slick former Jets and the Bills are now a stuck franchise due to their own doing with this ridiculous hire.

Coaching matters!

! + 100

I like Rex. It doesn't matter who coaches this team. We're the Bills. Not the Pats or the Cowboys or the Packers. The people who run the league aren't going to make any money with the Bills in the playoffs.

Excuse me? We aren't the Big Market Packers? Am I missing the sarcasm font? Rex has proven to be.... Rex.

My issue with this team is more the roster than Rex and the coaching staff.

Same here. The constant in this 15 year ( and counting) carousel of misery has been the lack of a top QB. Except for maybe a dozen or so games with Bledsoe before his precipitous decline , they haven't had a guy. One that can win the close games more often than not. Most NFL games are close, and this team doesn't win most of those. It seems if they get up big on a team they can hold on, but that's not how most games are in the league. You can pretty much plug in any coach save for one of two ( and you aren't getting those) and you will have mediocre. That said I think the Bills would have been much better if the Brandon Marshall trade had gone their way ( that pick they gave up for Cassel would have landed Marshall over the Jets) Harvin was an ok consolation prize but is injured too often. Marshall almost surely would have netted a couple more wins. I look at players more than coaches.

Sorry. We aren't one of the popular teams.

We were quite popular when we were winning and going to Super Bowls. We had a better roster, and FAR better coaching.

?

Yeah, I didn't even bother to respond to that. I just didn't get it.

Best QB and roster in many years. Lacking depth in some spots? Sure, but it's getting better. Coaching? Sucks.

Schwartz is available, said he wants to return to coaching next year. Didn't say if that meant head coach or coordinator but article said likely the latter. If I could spend a bunch of Pegula's money I'd fire Rex at end of this season with his big payout. Possibly promote Roman to HC (or find someone else) and bring back Schwartz. Given how he was unceremoniously dumped by the Bills, would he consider? I just have a thing for great defenses (which don't come around very often) and find it a travesty what happened to ours after he left.

Frankly, if Rex was canned, I don't see anyone taking him as HC or even DC. I think he ruined his cred as the defensive genius this year.

Schwartz is available, said he wants to return to coaching next year. Didn't say if that meant head coach or coordinator but article said likely the latter. If I could spend a bunch of Pegula's money I'd fire Rex at end of this season with his big payout. Possibly promote Roman to HC (or find someone else) and bring back Schwartz. Given how he was unceremoniously dumped by the Bills, would he consider? I just have a thing for great defenses (which don't come around very often) and find it a travesty what happened to ours after he left.

Frankly, if Rex was canned, I don't see anyone taking him as HC or even DC. I think he ruined his cred as the defensive genius this year.

Kind words and a big contract would probably woo Schwatrz back, I hope! But the big picture is most important. I fear Rex gets another year, at least.

I thought Rex hire would have meant the D would have been the same as it was. For whatever reason the defense just isnt the same when it comes to QB sacks and turnovers. The defense has had its moments and played well---the talent is there.

6 of their 7 loses can be drilled down to 2-3 plays in the game that made the difference.

injuries has been a big factor with this team this season.

It's hard to imagine any one who is regretting the Pegulas's retreading of Rex would have them compound the error by making Schwartz the next HC of this troubled team.

Come on people...

injuries has been a big factor with this team this season.

And yet, since the bye week the team has been relatively healthy and only gone 3-3 against mostly week opponents (including a loss to NE which was far more injured than the Bills were). There are always some injuries on every team. If the injuries were the reason for the disappointing first part of the year, the second part would be going much better than it is.

The coaching hire was questionable since we had a good defensive staff under contract already. Even though we could have done better, I still say Rex is an improvement over Marrone. Rex was obviously a huge reason why we have Tyrod and why our QB position is pretty stable at the moment. Offense has improved a lot.

As for defense, I am at a loss for words. I didn't think that the defense would be as great as last year, since last year it was pretty special. Never thought it would regress this far. But it is hard to argue that rex doesn't know about defenses. Just looking at his past, this is unusual production for his defenses. Based on his history, if I had to make a bet for next year, I would say the defense is way better. He needs to rework the defense, get some different personel in there that fits his scheme (mainly at ILB) and understand his players better.

The penalities are the most bothersome for me, because to me that is a big reflection on coaching. He himself has drawn some penalties. There were some penalties that make you question the Refs, but overall we have issues. And those issues haven't gone away.

Kinda sad about the defense. This is probably the best offense Rex has had as a HC, and it happens to be the year he has the worst defense he has ever had.

Overall, I think he is still an improvement over marrone. I think his team will improve next year. But after seeing a lot of these things this season, I am skeptical.

The only unit that has improved over last year is the offense and that's the unit Rex has the least influence on. To me, that says a lot about Rex's coaching. The D has regressed badly, the penalties are up, bad clock management, challenges, undisciplined play, sorry but the buck stops at Rex.

I support Rex Ryan 100%. It takes time to implement Rex's defense. Ray Lewis said he didn't think any defensive players could adjust to it within the first year. As for the offense, it improved. Be patient. A constant revolving door of coaches and QBs will not do this team any good in the long run.