NFL finally holding refs accountable?

YoloinOhio

Big deal, pulled from Monday night. They weren't pulled because the league is punishing them, they were pulled to avoid the negative publicity that would come during the telecast. Better to put them on some inconsequential regional game.

I said a few weeks ago, half jokingly, that maybe the refs were screwing up on purpose in an effort to get full time positions with the league. With each passing week I am wondering if the joke is on me.

Yeah... I fail to see how this is a punishment. Try to hide their inability to call the game by placing them in a different game and screwing over some other teams who aren't in primetime? Great job NFL. Definitely holding yourselves accountable.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is slightly off topic (but still has to do with the refs) but does anyone else scream at their TV's when there is a flag during a Patriots game and Tom Brady is right in the middle of the refs while they are discussing it?? "Get the !@#$ out of the meeting Tom.!!!!!!"

Everything I've read over the years is the refs don't want full time jobs as they all have long term professional careers making big money. If they made them full time supposedly many would quit.

The issue I have is the NFL for years cultivated that type of person as the thought was someone making $300 to $500k couldn't be bribed. The problem is in todays would, with as much money being bet, someone could afford $1/2 mil payoff to bribe an official for one game.

The other issue I have is in todays world, they guy making those kind of salary's no longer has a 9 to 5 job like Ward Cleaver did, he's at work from 7 till 7 and brings home work on the weekends, so doesn't have enough time to devote to reffing.

I'm in favor of full time officials, to get around the problem of too many existing ones quitting because of not wanting to give up careers, I'd phase it in, each year maybe add 2 fulltime positions to crew, so after five years or so, they'd all be full time.

I said a few weeks ago, half jokingly, that maybe the refs were screwing up on purpose in an effort to get full time positions with the league. With each passing week I am wondering if the joke is on me.

I know this is slightly off topic (but still has to do with the refs) but does anyone else scream at their TV's when there is a flag during a Patriots game and Tom Brady is right in the middle of the refs while they are discussing it?? "Get the !@#$ out of the meeting Tom.!!!!!!"

I scream every time any non Buffalo QB does that. I wanted someone to bounce Alex Smith out of the meeting a couple times on Sunday. When it's our guy doing it...they're just trying to be helpful. ;)

simply 'letting them play' would be much better

i have probably missed something.. a lot.. but how did football evolve into this? watching football was never like it is now.. where did all these "rules" come from? "back in the day", a flag was a big deal, not an every other play occurrence. did the rules committee start this? the officials trying to be the game? im bewildered.. and have discussed this topic before ..

Edited by dwight in philly

Am I the only one who doesn't think the NFL has this especially high on their priority list. They are making a boat load of money, and even though they appear interested or aware, it is not a crisis to them. Ratings dropping, stands empty, TV deals evaporating might shake them up if they believed it was causing it. Some on here are too young to remember how big boxing used to be. The NFL could be moving that way.

Am I the only one who doesn't think the NFL has this especially high on their priority list.

It will take a team losing in the playoffs because of a blunder before they'll seriously address it. The way things are going it wouldn't surprise me if it happened this year.

I wonder if the league is going to hold itself accountable for the idiotic rule changes and application that created this mess. Refs didn't just instantly start to suck. We're blaming the cashier for the store's policy.

And there are only 7 referees on the field with 22 players running around, some at high speed. It's not an easy task.