Rex press conference - Roman

RalphOP83

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I think the argument that "well if it worked he's a genius" is kind of dumb. If McCoy held onto the ball, it doesn't become a great call, it just prevents criticism. I'd love to see that call on a 1st or 2nd down but on 3rd-and-manageable you want to see a higher percentage throw. Generally, McCoy has great hands and I like seeing him get a deep target. But situationally that is a questionable call.

100% disagree. If we score a touchdown on that play it changes the whole game.

There were certainly some head-scratchers with Roman's play calling but I think the core problem is the offensive line is once again a liability combined with a first-time starter QB that is learning on-the-job. To this point I believe he has the smarts and the work ethic to improve but his ability to 'read' the defense and go through his progressions with the receivers but its just good enough yet. The other concern is Taylor's durability. He's taken too many hits while in the pocket or scrambling and needs to protect himself better or the protection needs to be changed to expose him to less potential physical contact. If he's degraded or out next week I have a hard time envisioning the Bills are coming out of Sunday at 6-5 with EJ back there coughing the ball up 2 or 3 times.

Something isn't working though. He's not utilizing Watkins. I can't even understand the excuses anymore. Every other team seems to have no problem getting their star WR the ball.

But you don't know if that is by play-calling or Taylor not reading the play correctly, seeing Watkins open, trusting his eyes and delivering a proper throw. I've seen Watkins open plenty of times and Taylor doesn't deliver the ball. I think this offense would look completely different if we had a veteran QB here who can scan the field and find the open receiver. Taylor isn't there yet (maybe he never will be, I'm not sure)

But you don't know if that is by play-calling or Taylor not reading the play correctly, seeing Watkins open, trusting his eyes and delivering a proper throw. I've seen Watkins open plenty of times and Taylor doesn't deliver the ball. I think this offense would look completely different if we had a veteran QB here who can scan the field and find the open receiver. Taylor isn't there yet (maybe he never will be, I'm not sure)

I agree that Tyrod probably has to take on some of the blame there. BUT - if that is the case, what kind of coach just shrugs his shoulders and goes, "oh well, the QB isn't seeing him". You have to make it perfectly clear. You need to take advantage of the play-maker, get him in space, and game plan around him on 3rd downs. We do NONE of that. He should be a focal point of our offense and bailing us out of trouble, and not just another cog in the wheel.

Roman is not a good offensive coordinator. I would seriously rather have Chan Gailey as offensive coordinator. He knew how to spread the ball around and open up an offense.

Though at times I question the play calling, I need to sit back and think about the execution of the plays.

It makes a lot of sense, it's a low percentage play; boom or bust and we busted. I much prefer those type of chances on first or second down when you have time to recover and get a first down, just a personal preference.

The ball, like many last night, was not thrown well. Too much air under it, too much time in the air.

all deep passes are low percentage plays, we had the matchup we wanted - i have a problem with running wide on 3 and inches...

Exactly. It was a low percentage play. That's what 2nd down is for.

but if we fail, 3rd and long is a low percentage play. The key is making the play work!!!

Maybe Roman doesn't have confidence to make throwing the ball a higher percentage of the plays. That would probably be due to our "rookie" QB or our below-average OLine. If he doesn't think that someone in the play can do the job required of them then he's not gonna dial it up. That really doesn't bode well, imo, on how he feels about Taylor. It seems like at times we just forget that throwing the ball is part of the game. I get it, you got Shady so you run but where the hell is Felton to blast open some holes? Why all shotgun when no-one seems particularly scared of Tyrod throwing? My gut tells me that Tyrod better start playing lights out these last few games we have cause he seems to have lost the faith of the OC.

Somehow we just need a freaking solid QB and decent O Line... is that too much to ask for???

What do the Bills do most often on first down? I'd venture to guess that they also do it most often on second down too. It was a crappy throw and IMO not a play you try at that down & distance. That's just me though.

How is a throw that hit McCoy in the hands a bad throw?

How have past WR's done in SF with Roman as OC?

CBF

Boldin was great. Put up over 1000 yards both seasons with Roman while getting I think 10 targets per game.

I really expected the same thing with Watkins this year. No crazy numbers, but steady from game to game. Maybe the injuries on offense haven't allowed them to get into that groove? I don't know...

How is a throw that hit McCoy in the hands a bad throw?

The throw was a little late or had too much air under it, which allowed the safety to get over in time. That happened a few times yesterday, whether it was the wind's fault or Tyrod's.

Edited by LeGOATski

100% disagree. If we score a touchdown on that play it changes the whole game.

Yes, a touchdown on that play or on that drive would have been huge and definitely would've changed the game. I'm saying, that play should've been 2nd down, and then 3rd down you do a higher percentage play to pick up the first and give yourself more opportunity to get the 7 points.

Yeah hopefully they can hire a GOOD offensive coordinator. Idk what Greg Bloman is doing, but he's literally blowing the game with his stupid calls.

3rd and 3, lets run Tyrod to in the gun formation straight up the middle -.-

3rd and 1 on opening drive he decided to not run up the middle.

there was a 3rd and 6 on the NE side, and he goes for the big play instead of calling a play to get the first down. The play ultimately ended up in McCoys dropped TD pass

Oh and the numerous runs he designed to go on the outside were ridiculous. I don't understand his logic behind calling the same plays over and over, such as the run sweep to the left...

Blasphemy.

How about the 3rd and inches silly sweep?

agreed. Roman is working with what he has. I don't agree with every call but I also don't watch 100 hours of film on the opponent. Sometimes the execution matters more. And if the execution was there, he would be a genius this morning.

As far as the time getting in play calls - I thought that was a headset issue. Again. This I don't understand.

Regarding the headset issue what they need to do is prepare not to use them at all and then in the game constantly tell referee they are not working to force opponent from being able to use them.

Roman is going with plays he thinks TT can reasonably throw accurately hence many plays you might think he would call he doesn't. That is playing to strength / limiting weakness of QB.

there was a 3rd and 6 on the NE side, and he goes for the big play instead of calling a play to get the first down. The play ultimately ended up in McCoys dropped TD pass

I believe clay ran a post in the middle of the field and found a soft spot in the zone on that play. TT chose the McCoy throw. Or possibly didn't see Clay.

The problem with Rex is he's a defensive coordinator, not a head man. A head man has a full grasp of all phases of the game and Rex hands everything over to the offensive coordinator and lets him run the show....completely. I really don't think Rex offers much input on the offense, so if there are any complaints here I think it ultimately falls on him.

You really don't have any idea what leadership is.