Rex press conference - Roman

RalphOP83

The throw was a little late or had too much air under it, which allowed the safety to get over in time. That happened a few times yesterday, whether it was the wind's fault or Tyrod's.

Sorry. The pass was perfect. Time only seems to go slower when you are holding your breath anticipating the catch. There was little if any wind that night. (I was there.) The DB made a perfect strip. Just accept both are possible. Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry. The pass was perfect. Time only seems to go slower when you are holding your breath anticipating the catch. There was little if any wind that night. (I was there.) The DB made a perfect strip. Just accept both are possible.

How drunk were you?

How drunk were you?

He's right. I was there too. It was windy for a few hours before the game in the parking lot but it died down considerably by around 7:30. Inside the stadium there was basically no wind. I was 3 rows up from the field.

He's right. I was there too. It was windy for a few hours before the game in the parking lot but it died down considerably by around 7:30. Inside the stadium there was basically no wind. I was 3 rows up from the field.

Still a legit question WRT being drunk ;)

We are talking MNF right? When Carpenter hit the post on the FG there was wind. Actually there was a bit of wind when Gostkowski missed too IIRC

Still a legit question WRT being drunk ;)

We are talking MNF right? When Carpenter hit the post on the FG there was wind. Actually there was a bit of wind when Gostkowski missed too IIRC

Every time there was a FG or punt the announcers made a point to mention whether the wind was at their back or they were kicking into it.

Every time there was a FG or punt the announcers made a point to mention whether the wind was at their back or they were kicking into it.

Yes, I recall that as well.

There was wind, the question is how much did the wind gusts impact the game?

Could it be that these two gentlemen were in an area where the wind was still?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

One thing, however, that is all on Rex to me is the way the Bills waste so much time getting plays in late in the game. If Rex the HC sees we are wasting too much time, which we clearly are, it's incumbent upon him to force the issue and either make Roman get them in quicker or insist on TT allowed to call his own plays. It's clearly a problem.

Interesting that the Niners had the same problem while Roman was there.

However the blame falls, there was some pretty poor play calling and execution among the HC/OC/QB.

Watkins is an awesome decoy and definitely created openings for others, but he has to get the ball. I love the deep balls, and I love the short possession passes, but intermediate routes especially over the middle are being underused. And I love letting Shady work and leaving most read options in his hands, and I know NE was working hard to keep TT contained with their pass rush, but I think there were some windows for TT keeping the ball on options or having a couple designed runs which would have opened up space more.

But the biggest thing is to get the ball to Sammy more on intermediate routes and let him be a little more Andre Reed. There were plays where he was open and whether it is on the QB Execution or the Read Progression of the play the OC calls, TT never looked at him. #TenTargetsForWatkins

Interesting that the Niners had the same problem while Roman was there.

It's a really annoying problem. Lining up late means you can't make adjustments if your play won't work. You're forced to just go ahead with what roman wants.

The running game has definitely benefited from his calls (mis-direction, cutbacks, traps/veers, sweeps). But if there's like 25 versions of essentially the same play, it gets confusing in the huddle when people have no idea how to line up. Then there's 25 different run options, with different blocking schemes, different pulls. It gets messy really quickly. This is all before we even line up on the field, and see how the defense lines up.

The 2 minute offense should only have plays on the wrist band - and they should all be designed to get the ball out quick and line up quick. Clocking it should be an option, as should screens.

Edited by dneveu

How is a throw that hit McCoy in the hands a bad throw?

No kidding. He absolutely needs to make that play. Our guys failed to make plays and Pats guys did.

I have come to the conclusion that Roman is a Marty Ball guy. Pound, pound, pound X10...try for big play! REPEAT!

I question whether that strategy of running to setup the pass has worked since say the early 70s Dolphins, perhaps the mid 70s Steelers. Certainly since they changed the passing rules in '78 the first time and Bill Walsh came along.

PS i guess you could argue that the 85 Bears and 00 Ravens were kinda, sorta that way...but they really won with defense more.

We may need a passing game coordinator, not a good thing to be behind the curve in the passing game right now.

Edited by The Thurmanator

No kidding. He absolutely needs to make that play. Our guys failed to make plays and Pats guys did.

I have come to the conclusion that Roman is a Marty Ball guy. Pound, pound, pound X10...try for big play! REPEAT!

I question whether that strategy of running to setup the pass has worked since say the early 70s Dolphins, perhaps the mid 70s Steelers. Certainly since they changed the passing rules in '78 the first time and Bill Walsh came along.

PS i guess you could argue that the 85 Bears and 00 Ravens were kinda, sorta that way...but they really won with defense more.

We may need a passing game coordinator, not a good thing to be behind the curve in the passing game right now.

Coming into the Pats game we were sixth in the league in scoring, and that's with our QB hurting a significant amount of time, our top two RBs a lot, and our top two WR a lot. We will be fine if we don't screw up as much. Brady has been playing in basically the same offense for 15 years. We have 10 games and without much of a training camp for our skill players. We have new coaches and systems and players without much practice. We need to get it together for sure. No one cares what your issues are. This game this week will go a long way. We just have to see how the next two weeks play out.

Coming into the Pats game we were sixth in the league in scoring, and that's with our QB hurting a significant amount of time, our top two RBs a lot, and our top two WR a lot. We will be fine if we don't screw up as much. Brady has been playing in basically the same offense for 15 years. We have 10 games and without much of a training camp for our skill players. We have new coaches and systems and players without much practice. We need to get it together for sure. No one cares what your issues are. This game this week will go a long way. We just have to see how the next two weeks play out.

Good points. I'm usually of a similar school of thought. Perhaps the negative nelleys are wearing me down too.

I still absolutely detest the 3rd down playcalling. I'd also like to see more passing on 1st and 2nd down. Not a ton, just mix it up a little.

I always rail against that type of play on a third down, you're just going to have to believe me on this. Not saying I'm right or wrong...I hate drive killing plays and low percentage plays are more likely to kill a drive than your run of the mill get the first down play (on third down).

What exactly is a " third down play" ? 3rd & 6 is not exactly a gimmie.

I like Roman.....he knows how to create offense.

His gameplan this week just sucked.

And there is no excuse for it.

As you said....Brady has been running the same offense for 15 years.......if you want to play close to the vest offensively the Patriots will out-execute you every time.

The way to beat them offensively is to attack them and put points on the board.

As much as I hate to admit it, the Pats D is very underrated and well coached. We have one of the best running attacks in the league and sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the opponent. I will say I did not like some of the play calling and the hand offs from the shotgun seem to take forever. But I think we hit some of those against lesser defenses.

I loved that play call, actually.

It was a good look, but when you're facing a key rival during a must-win game, you need to push the chains and control the clock IMO. Mango claimed Clay was open in the middle at a shallower point than mccoy. Even though McCoy should have caught the ball, I believe at position the team is in, we need to move the chains.

How about the 3rd and inches silly sweep?

That was a ridiculous call to be honest. We didn't have success running that play, we should of done a run play up the middle with Karlos' size or even a QB sneak.

I believe clay ran a post in the middle of the field and found a soft spot in the zone on that play. TT chose the McCoy throw. Or possibly didn't see Clay.

Thanks for that info. I think Tyrod misses a lot of open people on throwing plays, I'm not sure exactly why. Could be route timing, time given to throw, etc.

Rex seemed frustrated with Roman... Just the vibe I got... Anyone notice?

I hate these "vibe" posts...

Lets hope Roman gets a job in the offseason. For as good as he is with the run game, our pass game is balls.

I would rather not keep changing OC's b.c then every offense will be "vanilla" b.c the QB, RBs, O-Line, WRs, TEs. will have to keep learning again.