Skins to sign K. Cousins 17mill yr. how much is TT worth

17 Josh Allen

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post John and right on. You either sign these guys before you are 100% sure that they are the guy (maybe 80%) and pay them $17M a year or you wait until you are 100% and pay them $22M with a bunch of guarantees. That is what the Bills will be facing with Tyrod soon. It is a tricky situation.

I agree that it's tricky with QBs in particular, but there is no way that I jump the gun with Taylor. I see what he does the rest of this year and probably next. He's certainly does not have a large body of work, nor has he proven enough on the field to justify even a second tier deal. I hope he does earn that here, but he still has a lot to do before he does.

Kirk Cousins is Kirk Cousins (looks pretty great looks really terrible) and will always be Kirk Cousins until he is not Kirk Cousins and right now he is the good Kirk Cousins not the terrible Kirk Cousins but since Kirk Cousins is Kirk Cousins he will return to Kirk Cousins until he is not and you should never pay Kirk Cousins until he is not Kirk Cousins.

It's as simple as that.

I agree that it's tricky with QBs in particular, but there is no way that I jump the gun with Taylor. I see what he does the rest of this year and probably next. He's certainly does not have a large body of work, nor has he proven enough on the field to justify even a second tier deal. I hope he does earn that here, but he still has a lot to do before he does.

I also is not advocating redoing Taylor's deal yet.

He needs to show he can stay healthy

IF (big IF) he plays at the same level the rest of this year the Bills will almost certainly engage in extension talks this offseason. They will try to get him for roughly $15M a year with minimal guarantees. His side will shoot for a higher guaranteed amount and they will settle on something like 4 years $68M with $30M guaranteed.

That's just the way that it works with QBs. You either have foresight and take a chance or you play it conservatively and overpay.

Even so....is there a QB that has actually deserved it more in recent history should it happen?

- He falls in the draft for no really good reason

- Sits behind a starter for years waiting for his chance

- Biulds a reputation as a total team guy and leader

- Had deficiencies in his game (still has some) but he doesnt give up....he works on his game

In all seriousness....the kid looks like a better QB then Michael Vick who came into the league as a number 1 overall pick......he looks like a better decision maker and thrower of the football with the same athletisism

I hope he DOES get his contract....after he has earned it

Even so....is there a QB that has actually deserved it more in recent history should it happen?

- Had deficiencies in his game (still has some) but he doesnt give up....he works on his game

In all seriousness....the kid looks like a better QB then Michael Vick who came into the league as a number 1 overall pick......he looks like a better decision maker and thrower of the football with the same athletisism

It is a good story, but I think you overstate his fall and athleticism. He was never projected to go high, and despite being possibly the most athletic QB in the league at the moment, he's never had the elite speed or arm of Vick. I actually think seeing him perform as an arguably better all around QB despite having less flashy talent makes it an even better story.

IF (big IF) he plays at the same level the rest of this year the Bills will almost certainly engage in extension talks this offseason. They will try to get him for roughly $15M a year with minimal guarantees. His side will shoot for a higher guaranteed amount and they will settle on something like 4 years $68M with $30M guaranteed.

That's just the way that it works with QBs. You either have foresight and take a chance or you play it conservatively and overpay.

That's true. But I don't take that chance yet. He's got 7 games under his belt and even if he finishes the season healthy that's only 14 total, plus playoffs potentially. And that's really the only place he could really change my mind by this offseason - by lighting it up in the playoffs. Then I'd be on board.

But there is also his side to consider. I definitely think he'd jump at a mid-tier (or below) contract this offseason, but you never know. Maybe he's a gambler and thinks he can make the really big bucks. Or say he does take a mid-tier deal and then lights it up for another year or two. Why wouldn't he ask for a new deal early if he thinks he has earned it?

WTF happened to days when a QB had to earn his salary based on a playoff winning record and not this anticipated playoff spots.

Someone posted a while back something about some contracts being about the cost of replacing that player as compared to starting all over again.

Cant remember the specifics but it made sense

If there is a QB who is good but not great, you pay them in part of how much it would cost to replace them and start over

CBF

That's true. But I don't take that chance yet. He's got 7 games under his belt and even if he finishes the season healthy that's only 14 total, plus playoffs potentially. And that's really the only place he could really change my mind by this offseason - by lighting it up in the playoffs. Then I'd be on board.

But there is also his side to consider. I definitely think he'd jump at a mid-tier (or below) contract this offseason, but you never know. Maybe he's a gambler and thinks he can make the really big bucks. Or say he does take a mid-tier deal and then lights it up for another year or two. Why wouldn't he ask for a new deal early if he thinks he has earned it?

The Bills have proven to be risk takers. They are not the conservative "wait and see" guys. They are going to bet on being right and try to get it done this offseason if they are able to. They will take the chance that he isn't the guy but at the same time they insure against a situation like Russell Wilson or Joe Flacco. They are going to try to "buy low" if you will.

If he lights it up in the future you may very well have to rip up his deal and start over. The goal is to try to get the best value that you can for as long as you can (especially at QB). If they can get him for $15M a year I would think that the Bills would be thrilled (especially with minimal guarantees). That is the trick when investing in these QBs with a small sample size. If it blows up in your face does it cripple you moving forward?

If Tyrod finishes this season at the level that he has played so far I would be really, really surprised if the Bills let him enter next season without a new deal.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Cousins has shown steady improvement this year, particularly over the last four games. But fundamentally, he's getting paid or not being RGIII.

Basically, he represents how many people here wish the Bills were run - "Replace 'X' at any cost!"

Literally all of these are Ryan Fitzpatrick before his $39 million.

I just saw this one of the football news wires. Kurt Cousins is due to become a free agent and

his coach Gruden wants him signed. one Nfl

source says Cousins could fetch as much as 17 to 20 million per year and a new multi year contract because of the lack of good starters in the NFL and how long it takes for a NFL Rookie QB to develope. So if that is the case then what is Tyrod Taylor worth. Because I feel Tyrod is a much better QB. Wow

If Kirk Cousins gets $17M a year, it's a sign that the world is coming to an end. In that case, does it really matter what we do with TT?

Odds that Taylor holds out next year after we make the playoffs this year? Dude is set to make only $4mil.

Believe me, if the Bills make the playoffs and TT is healthy the rest of the year, his contract will 100% be restructured/extended. There won't be a hold-out

Someone posted a while back something about some contracts being about the cost of replacing that player as compared to starting all over again.

Cant remember the specifics but it made sense

If there is a QB who is good but not great, you pay them in part of how much it would cost to replace them and start over

CBF

They you are left with a $20MM s**** QB and a pieced together roster with limited cap space that finishes in last place because of QB deficiencies.