Skins to sign K. Cousins 17mill yr. how much is TT worth

17 Josh Allen

That's one way to lose a guy in the off season. If they offer him a deal and then he loses to the best team in the nfc and they say...now we're offering less! He will walk negotiating like that.

If you heard the fans last week after they defeated the NFL's Historically bad to worst defense he was worth a gold mine.

So the question is it real gold or fools gold?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will get a new contract with the Redskins. How much? I can't say. But he will be their starting qb for the foreseeable future. If their coaching staff and front office believe that he can be a capable qb, and they do, he will be signing the contract documents this offseason.

The Skins set their program back by years with the monstrous draft deal to acquire RGIII. It was a disaster that set the franchise back by years. Odds are even if the Skins were in position to draft a good qb prospect they would be reluctant to do so.

It has been reported by the local media that preliminary discussions have taken place with a deal to be completed before the start of the next season.

I would bet that nothing is in place and they are waiting to see how he plays the rest of the year.

I think we all knew this but fwiw

@AdamSchefter: Tyrod Taylor has 3-year contract that's now expected to be voided to 2 years after tonight, which would make next season last on his deal.

@SalSports: Will still be under contract next season - FA after 2016. Team will most likely look to sign him before that. https://t.co/X8qKem27pv

It has been said on here before but the Bills will almost certainly put a new contract in place with Tyrod after this season. He signed this deal as a "prove it" deal. He came in and won the starting job and has played in the top half of the league this year. He will be rewarded for that.

In today's NFL you have to treat players the right way otherwise you lose guys when the time comes. In addition, you have a hard time

Edited by Kirby Jackson

It has been said on here before but the Bills will almost certainly put a new contract in place with Tyrod after this season. He signed this deal as a "prove it" deal. He came in and won the starting job and has played in the top half of the league this year. He will be rewarded for that.

i missed that - is that from a source? If so, that's cool.

I would bet that nothing is in place and they are waiting to see how he plays the rest of the year.

I didn't say anything is in place. I did say that very preliminary talks have taken place.

How he performs for the rest of the season will determine how grand the contract will be. The better he plays the more leverage he has in the contract discussions; the worse he performs the less leverage he will have in the contract discussions. I'm very confident that he will be signed this offseason.

The GM is taking the approach that his priority is to rebuild the roster on both sides of the ball, starting with the lines. Their high first round pick this year was an OT/OG. His first offseason free agent acquisitions were mid-level tier selections, mostly on the defensive side of the ball.

As I said in the prior post I am confident that that the organization is going to sign Cousins. The HC likes him and is invested in him. My sense is this organization has little desire to use a high draft pick on a qb prospect and start the qb installation process all over.

two years 30 mil for tt is what I'd offer. I'd even make it all guaranteed and see what he does. Even with the Kap contract he still has like 8 mil of dead money next year and that's what we need to avoid. two years to see what we have then walk or bigger deal.

I didn't say anything is in place. I did say that very preliminary talks have taken place.

How he performs for the rest of the season will determine how grand the contract will be. The better he plays the more leverage he has in the contract discussions; the worse he performs the less leverage he will have in the contract discussions. I'm very confident that he will be signed this offseason.

The GM is taking the approach that his priority is to rebuild the roster on both sides of the ball, starting with the lines. Their high first round pick this year was an OT/OG. His first offseason free agent acquisitions were mid-level tier selections, mostly on the defensive side of the ball.

As I said in the prior post I am confident that that the organization is going to sign Cousins. The HC likes him and is invested in him. My sense is this organization has little desire to use a high draft pick on a qb prospect and start the qb installation process all over.

Which would be such a Redskinny thing to do because he is a below average starter and all but eliminates their chances of being an above average team for the foreseeable future. The Rich Gannon's and Brad Johnsons of the world were never as bad as Kirk Cousins. He doesn't have the arm.

Cousins is playing in a dysfunctional organization. The fact that he's had some success says something positive about him. The fact that the Redskins are capable of doing anything off or on the field continues to say negative things about them. In other words, anything is possible when you talk about that organization. Taylor should be awarded a new contract because as an inexperienced quarterback who's had to play behind a mediocre line and on an offense plagued by injuries, he deserves it.

In today's NFL you have to treat players the right way otherwise you lose guys when the time comes. In addition, you have a hard time

I agree with your view. TT is our starter now and will be next year. As you noted you pay starting qbs starting money. From the Bills perspective they want to see TT in a position to make starter money because it will be due to the fact that he will have played up to the contract.

The Bills and the qb have options to fit heir individual needs. The Bills can bump up his salary for next year to a mid-level starter money and then re-negotiate with him for a longer deal. If TT plays well next year it will cost them more money for the delay. My feeling is that if the front office truly believes that he is going to be their long-term starter, based on his performance for the rest of the year, they will want to get a deal done sooner rather than later.

My sense is that TT would prefer to get a deal done sooner to lock in the money. I don't see him preferring taking the Bradford route where he declined a longer term contract at less value in the hope of getting a richer deal after a good year. The end result is that he has struggled and then got hurt. His value thus took a big hit. Bradford bet on himself and he lost.

Again I say look at the whole picture. While his stats are "great" he's not lighting it up with yards through the air. If you want to brag on QBR and such then I say TT has to pile up over 220 ypg on a consistent basis.

Which would be such a Redskinny thing to do because he is a below average starter and all but eliminates their chances of being an above average team for the foreseeable future. The Rich Gannon's and Brad Johnsons of the world were never as bad as Kirk Cousins. He doesn't have the arm.

It was the owner that put this franchise in bind because of the RGIII deal. Mike Shanahan told the owner prior to the draft that if he took that route he was gambling on a qb prospect who he believed was going to take years of development before he was ready for the NFL game. After RGIII's rookie year it seemed that the owner was right with his risky qb selection. In the long run it turned out that Mike Shanahan was right.

You make a very interesting comparison with both Gannon and Johnson. Gannon belatedly turned out to be a very good qb. If I recall correctly the Skins won a SB or were in the SB ??? (not sure) with Brad Johnson. If Cousins can play at a lesser level of Gannon and the roster can be bolstered then they would be a competitive team. That's the direction they seem to be going to.

The Skins are a rebuilding team that is going to take another two to three years. They have to have at the minimum stable qbing so they can move on with the rebuilding process. They believe Cousins at this time fits their needs. That's why I believe he will be signed to an extension this offseason.

Again I say look at the whole picture. While his stats are "great" he's not lighting it up with yards through the air. If you want to brag on QBR and such then I say TT has to pile up over 220 ypg on a consistent basis.

Name the 16 QBs that have been better than him this year. I said that he has played in the top half of the league (which he certainly has). He plays a winning brand of football. He takes care of the ball and makes plays on 3rd down (often with his feet). They put points on the board at a much, much higher rate than in recent years.

Just for fun here is the list of more than16 QBs that Tyrod has been better than this year: Kaepernick/Gabbert, Foles, Bradford, Cassel/Weeden, Manziel/McCown (although McCown has been decent), Fitzpatrick, Flacco, Tannehill, Ryan, Stafford, Bortles, Cousins, Alex Smith, Peyton, Bridgewater, Luck, Mariota, Jameis, Russell Wilson and Hoyer.

Some of those guys don't have a lot of starts but neither does Tyrod so that shouldn't be held against him. I said that the QB play has been "in the top half of the league" feel free to dispute that based on the above list but please be prepared to defend your opinion. His yards per attempt, W-L record, completion percentage, rating and TD:INT ratio separate him.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The Bucs won a superbowl with Johnson.

Granted a lot of that was due to their defense and Jon Gruden knowing exactly what was coming from the Raiders considering he was their coach the year prior.

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it. But the point is the same in that even with less than a stellar qb you can still win if the qb plays at a competent level.

Name the 16 QBs that have been better than him this year. I said that he has played in the top half of the league (which he certainly has). He plays a winning brand of football. He tales care of the ball and makes plays on 3rd down (often with his feet). They put points on the board at a much, much higher rate than in recent years.

Just for fun here is the list of more than16 QBs that Tyrod has been better than this year: Kaepernick/Gabbert, Foles, Bradford, Cassel/Weeden, Manziel/McCown (although McCown has been decent), Fitzpatrick, Flacco, Tannehill, Ryan, Stafford, Bortles, Cousins, Alex Smith, Peyton, Bridgewater, Luck, Mariota, Jameis, Russell Wilson and Hoyer.

Please don't pretend that he did not have crappy game against NE, a crappy game against the Giants, and crappy game against the Titans.

11 or 12 passes is very good for 1 + quarters not entire games.

He is winning (barely on occasion) against bad teams and losing to mediocre ones on his home field.

Please don't pretend that he did not have crappy game against NE, a crappy game against the Giants, and crappy game against the Titans.

He is winning (barely on occasion) against bad teams and losing to mediocre ones on his home field.

You are so friggen sad

Honestly - pick a category and let me know where he falls again.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=PASSING&season=2015&seasonType=REG&experience=&tabSeq=0&qualified=false&Submit=Go

Passer Rating

#2 Kellen Clemens SD 5 of 6 83.3 Rating of 150.0

# 6 Tyrod Taylor 106.2

Passing yards

# 31 Tyrod Taylor Comp 124 Att 176 Pct 70.5

Passing Yards per game

#34 Tyrod Taylor

Attempts per game

# 39 Tyrod Taylor

Most Sacked (with one of the lowest average attempts per game)

#13 Tyrod Taylor

TD's per game

#23 Tyrod Taylor

passing plays 40 +

# 25 Tyrod Taylor

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

EVERYONE HAS BAD GAMES!!!! Remember Luck and Rodgers vs. the Bills? Do you agree that Tyrod has played in the top half of the league? I am curious to see which QBs you think have been better than him this year.

He plays in a ball control offense!! He isn't asked to sling it around the field like Matt Ryan. He has a legit shot at setting the single season completion percentage record in the NFL!! When he has been asked to throw the ball he has gotten it to his guys. Please do not pick one stat to support your argument. I said that he has played in the top half of the league and listed the guys that he has had a better year then. Please feel free to dispute the list and which guys on there have played better than him.

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it. But the point is the same in that even with less than a stellar qb you can still win if the qb plays at a competent level.

Brad Johnson and Gannon had decent arms and were pretty good quarterbacks. When Cousins is bad, which is often, he is Geno Smith bad. Just godawful. Cousins has some pretty good weapons but he just doesn't have the wherewithal or the arm or the moxie. He gets flustered a lot. He's just a bad QB who shows flashes of being good when guys are wide open.