The Mizzou/Yale/PC/Free Speech Topic

FireChan

GLEICHSCHALTUNG: 

Georgetown senate publicly condemns student for rejecting Black Lives Matter movement. 

If you are not shouting the approved slogans of the moment, you are an enemy of the people!

Remember, higher education — especially at elite institutions like Georgetown — was supposed to foster critical thinking.

Alabama Five Guys Workers Refuse To Serve Cops. Now They Don’t Have To Serve Anyone

https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-shaw/2020/07/13/alabama-five-guys-workers-refuse-serve-cops-now-dont-serve-anyone/

FiveGuys.jpg

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

GLEICHSCHALTUNG: 

Georgetown senate publicly condemns student for rejecting Black Lives Matter movement. 

If you are not shouting the approved slogans of the moment, you are an enemy of the people!

Remember, higher education — especially at elite institutions like Georgetown — was supposed to foster critical thinking.

Alabama Five Guys Workers Refuse To Serve Cops. Now They Don’t Have To Serve Anyone

https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-shaw/2020/07/13/alabama-five-guys-workers-refuse-serve-cops-now-dont-serve-anyone/

FiveGuys.jpg

What I really found amazing in that picture was all the snow in Alabama in July. I'm going to have to repost this in the Climate Page thread or at least make it a gotcha moment for @Kay Adams.

EVERYONE’S TRANSGENDER-AWARENESS WORKSHOP ATTENDANCE IS UP TO DATE, THOUGH: A friend on Facebook writes:

From the Seventh Fleet accidents — which cost sailors’ lives — to the USS Theodore Roosevelt leadership fracas, to the slow-rolling LCS debacle, to the pierside loss of the USS Bonhomme Richard, it could not be more obvious that the United States Navy requires a top to bottom reorganization and reassessment. Yet who will make it so? In an organizational culture where it’s nearly impossible to suffer consequences past O-6, where is the imperative to change? How do you impose reform in the service of warfighting when the top-level strategic orientation is toward money and acquisition?

Someone needs to start cleaning out admirals before their due dates — and imposing an absolute prohibition on their post-service migration to industry, consulting, and lobbying. That would be a good start.

Our most important service now has got to refocus on the only thing that really matters: war at sea.

Yes. President Trump needs to do this, but he’s already faced near-revolt from the admirals. The real problem is that the people running the Navy are themselves members of our execrable ruling class, which always and everywhere rewards posturing for one’s peers over doing one’s job.

by Glenn Reynolds

“Low-Hanging Fruit” Deleted From Newspeak Dictionary

Cancel culture has reached a fever pinch reminiscent of the Reign of Terror. This is no time to fall behind in updating your Newspeak Dictionary. Be advised that the common expression “low-hanging fruit” is now forbidden:

The official definition of the term low-hanging fruit is “a thing or person that can be won, obtained, or persuaded with little effort,” according to the Oxford dictionary.

But according to one business professor, it’s a racial microaggression.

“For African-Americans, if you say ‘low-hanging fruit,’ we think lynching,” said Mae Hicks-Jones, an adjunct faculty member of Elgin Community College.

That is supposedly because of the 1950s Billy Holliday song “Strange Fruit,” the lyrics to which do not include the term “low-hanging.” The actual reason is that no matter what you say to black supremacists, they think of how oppressed their ancestors were generations ago, and how they can exploit that oppression to bully white people.

Mae Hicks Jones is of course a Woman of Color, and thereby empowered to tell us which expressions we are allowed to use.

Hicks Jones has other demands:

Also objectionable to Hicks-Jones was the phrase “grandfathered in,” because she said it is reminiscent of a grandfather clause, which privileged white people’s right to vote over that of black people during the Jim Crow South.

Assuming we have any character left at all, eventually we will get tired of the incessant bullying that is political correctness.

https://moonbattery.com/low-hanging-fruit-deleted-from-newspeak-dictionary/

24 minutes ago, B-Man said:

“Low-Hanging Fruit” Deleted From Newspeak Dictionary

Cancel culture has reached a fever pinch reminiscent of the Reign of Terror. This is no time to fall behind in updating your Newspeak Dictionary. Be advised that the common expression “low-hanging fruit” is now forbidden:

The official definition of the term low-hanging fruit is “a thing or person that can be won, obtained, or persuaded with little effort,” according to the Oxford dictionary.

But according to one business professor, it’s a racial microaggression.

“For African-Americans, if you say ‘low-hanging fruit,’ we think lynching,” said Mae Hicks-Jones, an adjunct faculty member of Elgin Community College.

That is supposedly because of the 1950s Billy Holliday song “Strange Fruit,” the lyrics to which do not include the term “low-hanging.” The actual reason is that no matter what you say to black supremacists, they think of how oppressed their ancestors were generations ago, and how they can exploit that oppression to bully white people.

Mae Hicks Jones is of course a Woman of Color, and thereby empowered to tell us which expressions we are allowed to use.

Hicks Jones has other demands:

Also objectionable to Hicks-Jones was the phrase “grandfathered in,” because she said it is reminiscent of a grandfather clause, which privileged white people’s right to vote over that of black people during the Jim Crow South.

Assuming we have any character left at all, eventually we will get tired of the incessant bullying that is political correctness.

https://moonbattery.com/low-hanging-fruit-deleted-from-newspeak-dictionary/

I was sure low hanging fruit was going to be a reference to the big black balls of African American men.

What a disappointing article.

I stopped reading the NYT a long time ago. I suspect that it has long ago completed its transition to a one-sided outlet for news and opinions. 

This is a resignation letter from Bari Weiss, who was their OpEd “centrist”. It is worth a read.  Maybe she’s got sour grapes, but what she describes sounds a lot like a description of my suspicions.  If true, I’m glad I stopped reading the NYT and I wish they’d open themselves back up to competing points of view.

https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter

My own forays into Wrongthink have made me the subject of constant bullying by colleagues who disagree with my views. They have called me a Nazi and a racist; I have learned to brush off comments about how I’m “writing about the Jews again.” Several colleagues perceived to be friendly with me were badgered by coworkers. My work and my character are openly demeaned on company-wide Slack channels where masthead editors regularly weigh in. There, some coworkers insist I need to be rooted out if this company is to be a truly “inclusive” one, while others post ax emojis next to my name. Still other New York Times employees publicly smear me as a liar and a bigot on Twitter with no fear that harassing me will be met with appropriate action. They never are.

I do not understand how you have allowed this kind of behavior to go on inside your company in full view of the paper’s entire staff and the public. And I certainly can’t square how you and other Times leaders have stood by while simultaneously praising me in private for my courage. Showing up for work as a centrist at an American newspaper should not require bravery.

Part of me wishes I could say that my experience was unique. But the truth is that intellectual curiosity—let alone risk-taking—is now a liability at The Times. Why edit something challenging to our readers, or write something bold only to go through the numbing process of making it ideologically kosher, when we can assure ourselves of job security (and clicks) by publishing our 4000th op-ed arguing that Donald Trump is a unique danger to the country and the world? And so self-censorship has become the norm.

Edited by snafu
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, snafu said:

I stopped reading the NYT a long time ago. I suspect that it has long ago completed its transition to a one-sided outlet for news and opinions. 

This is a resignation letter from Bari Weiss, who was their OpEd “centrist”. It is worth a read.  Maybe she’s got sour grapes, but what she describes sounds a lot like a description of my suspicions.  If true, I’m glad I stopped reading the NYT and I wish they’d open themselves back up to competing points of view.

https://www.bariweiss.com/resignation-letter

My own forays into Wrongthink have made me the subject of constant bullying by colleagues who disagree with my views. They have called me a Nazi and a racist; I have learned to brush off comments about how I’m “writing about the Jews again.” Several colleagues perceived to be friendly with me were badgered by coworkers. My work and my character are openly demeaned on company-wide Slack channels where masthead editors regularly weigh in. There, some coworkers insist I need to be rooted out if this company is to be a truly “inclusive” one, while others post ax emojis next to my name. Still other New York Times employees publicly smear me as a liar and a bigot on Twitter with no fear that harassing me will be met with appropriate action. They never are.

I do not understand how you have allowed this kind of behavior to go on inside your company in full view of the paper’s entire staff and the public. And I certainly can’t square how you and other Times leaders have stood by while simultaneously praising me in private for my courage. Showing up for work as a centrist at an American newspaper should not require bravery.

Part of me wishes I could say that my experience was unique. But the truth is that intellectual curiosity—let alone risk-taking—is now a liability at The Times. Why edit something challenging to our readers, or write something bold only to go through the numbing process of making it ideologically kosher, when we can assure ourselves of job security (and clicks) by publishing our 4000th op-ed arguing that Donald Trump is a unique danger to the country and the world? And so self-censorship has become the norm.

"Showing up for work as a centrist at an American newspaper should not require bravery."

This "centrist" strikes me more as being a rational, moderate liberal realizing that there is nothing liberal about modern American leftism. The Times' problem isn't nearly as recent as the author implies - in my opinion they long ago gave up any pretense of objectivity. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Azalin said:

"Showing up for work as a centrist at an American newspaper should not require bravery."

This "centrist" strikes me more as being a rational, moderate liberal realizing that there is nothing liberal about modern American leftism. The Times' problem isn't nearly as recent as the author implies - in my opinion they long ago gave up any pretense of objectivity. 

I’ve said it before, the “center” pole got abruptly picked up and moved several paces to the left about a decade ago. This had an instant effect of re-labeling everyone.  The media has been the mouthpiece for this shift, first focusing on social issues and now more obviously combining that with political stances. I don’t think it was a thought out plan.  I think it is a progression that the media obviously believes sells clicks and newspapers. They keep doing it because people “vote” for money-making things with their pocketbook.  And the more they do it, the more normalized this re-labeling becomes.  And here we are today, with “centrists” being called “Nazis”.

I think a lot of what the Times has done to try to stay relevant online is to make splashy headlines that try to tell the entire message of an article. The story in the body of the article is usually a different thing, and doesn’t support the headline.  They need to do this because of their online model has to compete with “free” online press. Grab them with a headline and then block the story behind a subscription request.  They know that the result is that most people only read the headline.  The headline is usually some inflammatory claim against the administration that they don’t need to back up in their articles, because their readership has become the “choir”. The Times, especially, gets away with it because they still ride their reputation.  I think they’re throwing their reputation away — whether on purpose or by accident, I don’t know (they started awhile ago, but it has accelerated much more recently).  The Times is in serious danger of dying completely once Trump goes away, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, snafu said:

I’ve said it before, the “center” pole got abruptly picked up and moved several paces to the left about a decade ago. This had an instant effect of re-labeling everyone.  The media has been the mouthpiece for this shift, first focusing on social issues and now more obviously combining that with political stances. I don’t think it was a thought out plan.  I think it is a progression that the media obviously believes sells clicks and newspapers. They keep doing it because people “vote” for money-making things with their pocketbook.  And the more they do it, the more normalized this re-labeling becomes.  And here we are today, with “centrists” being called “Nazis”.

I think a lot of what the Times has done to try to stay relevant online is to make splashy headlines that try to tell the entire message of an article. The story in the body of the article is usually a different thing, and doesn’t support the headline.  They need to do this because of their online model has to compete with “free” online press. Grab them with a headline and then block the story behind a subscription request.  They know that the result is that most people only read the headline.  The headline is usually some inflammatory claim against the administration that they don’t need to back up in their articles, because their readership has become the “choir”. The Times, especially, gets away with it because they still ride their reputation.  I think they’re throwing their reputation away — whether on purpose or by accident, I don’t know (they started awhile ago, but it has accelerated much more recently).  The Times is in serious danger of dying completely once Trump goes away, IMO.

Many of the Lefty news sources follow this practice. Even our very own little disingenuous weasel @Tiberius incorporates this into many of his posts. 

• Like (+1) 1

ANDREW SULLIVAN: See You Next Friday: A Farewell Letter.

Two years ago, I wrote that we all live on campus now. That is an understatement.

In academia, a tiny fraction of professors and administrators have not yet bent the knee to the woke program — and those few left are being purged. The latest study of Harvard University faculty, for example, finds that only 1.46 percent call themselves conservative. But that’s probably higher than the proportion of journalists who call themselves conservative at the New York Times or CNN or New York Magazine.

And maybe it’s worth pointing out that “conservative” in my case means that I have passionately opposed Donald J. Trump and pioneered marriage equality, that I support legalized drugs, criminal-justice reform, more redistribution of wealth, aggressive action against climate change, police reform, a realist foreign policy, and laws to protect transgender people from discrimination. I was one of the first journalists in established media to come out. I was a major and early supporter of Barack Obama. I intend to vote for Biden in November.

It seems to me that if this conservatism is so foul that many of my peers are embarrassed to be working at the same magazine, then I have no idea what version of conservatism could ever be tolerated. And that’s fine. We have freedom of association in this country, and if the mainstream media want to cut ties with even moderate anti-Trump conservatives, because they won’t bend the knee to critical theory’s version of reality, that’s their prerogative. It may even win them more readers, at least temporarily. But this is less of a systemic problem than in the past, because the web has massively eroded the power of gatekeepers to suppress and control speech. I was among the first to recognize this potential for individual freedom of speech, and helped pioneer individual online media, specifically blogging, 20 years ago.

And this is where I’m now headed.

Apparently even faux-conservatives like Andrew (who endorsed John Kerry in 2004 as “the right man – and the conservative choice – for a difficult and perilous time,” in addition to the aforementioned Obama and Biden) are no longer welcome in the monolithic DNC-MSM.

Sullivan goes on to write that “the Weekly Dish, which launches now, is where I’ve landed. The Weekly Dish will be hosted by Substack, a fantastic company that hosts an increasingly impressive number of individual free thinkers, like Jesse Singal and Matt Taibbi. There is a growing federation of independent thinkers and writers not subject to mainstream media’s increasingly narrow range of acceptable thought.” Sullivan also notes that he’s “long tried to figure out a way to have this kind of lively community without endangering my health and sanity.”

Sincere good luck on both efforts. As Jim Treacher tweeted last month:

treacher_andrew_sullivan_6-5-20.jpg

Sullivan’s 2008 stint at the Atlantic caused serious damage to that magazine’s reputation, cemented by the hiring and then immediate shameful firing of Kevin Williamson by editor Jeffrey Goldberg in 2018. 

The cause of which was a sneak preview of the New York Times’ meltdown last month caused by its crybully young staffers, culminating in the ouster of Bari Weiss.

The purges of the MSM have been a clarifying moment for all to see, as ideological purity and “safetyism” have driven out the last vestiges of political diversity.

Posted at 2:07 pm by Ed Driscoll

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This ‘anti-racism education’ sure looks awfully … racist

by Jonah Goldberg

Original Article

We often hear that what this country needs is an honest conversation about race. Here’s a whole lot of “honesty” for you, from an unexpected place: Black people are less likely than white people to be self-reliant. Black people are less likely to emphasize “rational linear” and “quantitative” thinking. They are less likely to think that “hard work is the key to success.” They believe in punctuality less, and instant gratification more, than whites do. Black people aren’t as likely to believe in a Christian God and more inclined to be tolerant of pagan or polytheistic religions.

HOW REVERSE RACISM SPREADS OUTWARD FROM CAMPUS:

Racial preferences launched in the 1970s for Black and Hispanic students seeking admission to elite schools like Harvard have put more minority kids in the classrooms, but that’s just the beginning of a destructive cycle.

Writing for RealClearPolitics, Linda Chavez points to the next step in the story:

“But blacks do not necessarily benefit, either, from the widespread adoption of racial preferences in admissions on their behalf. As Richard H. Sander and Stuart Taylor, Jr., pointed out in their comprehensive study of the effect of racial preferences in college admissions on black student performance, “Mismatch: How Affirmative Action Hurts Students It’s Intended to Help, and Why Universities Won’t Admit It,” schools using racial preferences end up admitting students who often place in the lower rankings of their class and struggle to finish college or pass professional exams.

“In turn, these students struggle more even after they graduate, failing to advance in their chosen careers if their college grades are subpar, which becomes proof for some not that preferences fail to achieve their goal, but that systemic racism follows blacks into the professional world, requiring yet more racial preferences in hiring and promotion.”

That in a nutshell is how legally sanctioned racial discrimination spreads from campus to government to corporate boardrooms. Once the official steps are taken away from the conviction that all men are equal to the fable that some are more equal than others, corruption spreads.

Or, to put it another way, if you begin with a fundamentally flawed understanding of the problem — think “systemic racism” or “Big Government” — your solutions won’t work, and you will be trapped in an endless cycle of failure that continually reinforces the original misconception.

On 7/19/2020 at 10:28 AM, B-Man said:

If there was truly such a  thing as cultural appropriation this would definitely be it. I am glad someone is able to do it well and I hope no one tries to bother her for being the best.