Tyrod Taylor stats

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are the only one saying or implying it has to be one or the other.

It's both. And other stuff, too.

But if guys are playing equally, and one of them has a better pedigree, why would you think the lesser pedigree guy is going to be the one to get better and the higher pedigree guy would be the one to fall off?

For some reason he's acting like "pedigree" is some unearned privilege here as opposed to based on scouting of skill/past production/measurables/etc.... Pedigree, in this case, is almost entirely performance driven.

Tyrod has been great! My only complaint is that he holds on to the ball too long sometimes, and doesn't seem to trust receivers other than on long bombs.

With that said, he takes the unnecessary sack.

this is the thing. We've seen Taylor go through his reads when needed.

That wasn't an issue.

Today's game plan was great and executed well.

Sorry, but I think the game play was lacking. If you can point out a trick play that has worked please let me know.

Remember that time that people argued that EJ Manuel was a better QB? Those were the days....

I knew someone would trash EJ even when sitting on the sideline. Bravo Kirby. You da man!

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

@YardsPerPass: ESPN'S QBR stat goes from 0 - 100. In TT'S 2 games against MIA, he has QBR of 95.3 and 98 yesterday. Both are in the top 10 for the season

TT and Karlos want to play the Dolphins every week. Both players have been relatively mediocre against other teams, but have killed the Dolphins.

Hopefully they imagine the Jets are the Dolphins on Thursday :D

Why do you think people hedge their opinions of TT? Because no one wants to believe he's as good as he is playing. Because no one wants to believe a QB out of nowhere can be that good, even if he is.

Because what makes a QB a franchise guy is consistency. He has to be able to do it over and over again, over not only the course of a season but over several seasons. 5 games does not a franchise QB make. The league is littered with guys who have played well over 5 week stretches who never amounted to anything long term.

TT is promising and he has the chance of being that guy we all hope he can be, but throwing out superlatives and calling him a "top 6 QB" after a few starts is overkill.

With that said, he takes the unnecessary sack.

Sorry, but I think the game play was lacking. If you can point out a trick play that has worked please let me know.

I knew someone would trash EJ even when sitting on the sideline. Bravo Kirby. You da man!

Ha ha, we have a good QB for the 1st time in years and people tried to put him down to prove that they were right (even when it was clear they were wrong).

The guy leads the offense up and down the field only to have some view it as "he takes the unnecessary sack." He takes care of the football, moves the chains on 3rd down and makes big plays. We are fortunate to have found our QB.

Defenses are in a really tough position, if they stack the box to play the run/tyrod scramble, then he can throw it deep to Sammy. I really wish we had another speed/deep threat guy though. Too bad about Goodwin's durability. :(

What really makes this work is Charles Clay. They can bring in a 2 TE formation and still spread the field if the D has a LB heavy package. If the D goes with more DBs they can pound the rock from a tight formation or from a spread. A TE who is a receiving threat and who can run block reasonably well is a huge advantage. Clays blocks paved the way for many of the big runs yesterday.

And for my money this O doesn't need another speedster, they need a big 6'3" target who can make tough catches over the middle. A guy TT can easily see. The one weakness in TT's game thus far is he doesn't use the entire field and goes mostly outside the hashes. Get him a big ass guy he can't miss.

Something rather strange about Tyrod that makes me question what his game is all about. He actually attempts a pass on less than half his dropbacks. That's rather odd. I think it's happened twice now and I don't know what to make of it.

I view him through the Mike Vick lens. He has a similar build and athletic skill set but is much more accurate and aware. The only time he exposed himself to injury was on the 24th yard of a 3rd and 23 play in a game they were trailing. These are good signs.

Something rather strange about Tyrod that makes me question what his game is all about. He actually attempts a pass on less than half his dropbacks. That's rather odd. I think it's happened twice now and I don't know what to make of it.

I view him through the Mike Vick lens. He has a similar build and athletic skill set but is much more accurate and aware. The only time he exposed himself to injury was on the 24th yard of a 3rd and 23 play in a game they were trailing. These are good signs.

To be fair a few of those drop back runs were called runs where he had no intention of actually throwing it.

He was efficient today, and did all he was asked but in the context of what was going on around him, and what was asked- he aced an easy open book test. That's not saying he can't do it all just that there's a whole lot more to show he can do and do consistently.

You are right that his playbook is rather simplified. That is the right way to handle him at this point. You build off the basics. Roman is being smart in putting him in a position to succeed by not (at this point) expanding what he is required to do.

The more he plays the more teams will adjust to what he is currently doing. Then he will be asked (required) to do more, especially in going through his progressions. You are correct that he is not a finished product and that it can't be assumed that he is capable of taking the next step up. No one knows for sure that he will develop into a legitimate long term franchise qb. What is apparent is that he has the tools and the feel for the game that lends one to believe that he can handle the starting job. As you well stated he is still a work in progress with no guarantees that it will work out.

As a Buffalo Bill fan I am starving for competent qb play. I am cautiouslyoptimistic.

Ha ha, we have a good QB for the 1st time in years and people tried to put him down to prove that they were right (even when it was clear they were wrong).

The guy leads the offense up and down the field only to have some view it as "he takes the unnecessary sack." He takes care of the football, moves the chains on 3rd down and makes big plays. We are fortunate to have found our QB.

I want to clarify that I've been very happy with Tyrod's play for the most part, but there are parts of his game I'd like to see him work on for the long term, one would be holding on to the ball for too long. I forget the stat, but I think his time to pass is one of the slowest in the league. Some of that is him scrambling, which is awesome, but sometimes he needs to feel when it's time to get out of there a bit better. I'm sure that will come with experience. The only other thing I can really think of is, he seems to lock on to guys and not really pull the trigger unless he's sure they're open... but again, another thing that should come with experience (and I actually have this opinion of EJ as well, and have seen him improve on it, even with the Jax meltdown). Young QBs need time to learn, and being critical of certain parts of their game isn't 'putting him down' or not supporting them, it's having a vested interest in the QB developing to be a long term option.

What really makes this work is Charles Clay. They can bring in a 2 TE formation and still spread the field if the D has a LB heavy package. If the D goes with more DBs they can pound the rock from a tight formation or from a spread. A TE who is a receiving threat and who can run block reasonably well is a huge advantage. Clays blocks paved the way for many of the big runs yesterday.

And for my money this O doesn't need another speedster, they need a big 6'3" target who can make tough catches over the middle. A guy TT can easily see. The one weakness in TT's game thus far is he doesn't use the entire field and goes mostly outside the hashes. Get him a big ass guy he can't miss.

I was confused as to why Clay wasn't a bigger part of the game yesterday, he's a mismatch for every opponent. But, Sammy was killing it, so maybe Clay wasn't necessary ;) And agreed on the big WR target, but usually the big WRs like that have enough speed to stretch the field as well, so why not both?

Edited by Dorkington

I want to clarify that I've been very happy with Tyrod's play for the most part, but there are parts of his game I'd like to see him work on for the long term, one would be holding on to the ball for too long. I forget the stat, but I think his time to pass is one of the slowest in the league. Some of that is him scrambling, which is awesome, but sometimes he needs to feel when it's time to get out of there a bit better. I'm sure that will come with experience. The only other thing I can really think of is, he seems to lock on to guys and not really pull the trigger unless he's sure they're open... but again, another thing that should come with experience (and I actually have this opinion of EJ as well, and have seen him improve on it, even with the Jax meltdown). Young QBs need time to learn, and being critical of certain parts of their game isn't 'putting him down' or not supporting them, it's having a vested interest in the QB developing to be a long term option.

Fair enough and to be clear I am not saying that he is perfect. The point was that it has been so long since we had above average QB play that we don't even know what to do. We are waiting for the wheels to fall off (i.e. "once teams see _____ they will stop the Bills"). We don't know that to be true. Instead of us waiting for it to get bad, let's just appreciate that it has been good.