Tyrod Taylor stats

same page. i also like what i am seeing, and simply dont see the harm in acknowledging that theres a lot left to see still.

sometimes this place gets so bi-polar where a good game means we are super bowl contenders and a bad game means we should tank for the top pick. truth is we are a very good roster, with an inexperienced but hopefully able to continue to grow qb at the helm. Thats not a bad place to be. heck, even if tyrod doesnt "get there," we could see a kaepernick or sanchez couple of years with us right in there with the elite. and theres a chance he does become the long term answer too! i hate that anyone is qualifying my sentiment as hyper-critical, or negative.

I want to make it clear that no one has to be defensive about pointing out areas where this particular qb or any prospect has to improve on. So I hope you didn't take my response as a criticism to your reasonable comments.

No one can definitively make a clam that TT is going to be a resounding success or a failure. It simply is too early in the process. However, what I and Kelly and others are referencing is that there are essential elements to his game that make one cautiously optimistic that he will be at the minimum a legitimate franchise qb. He has the arm, accuracy and touch. His ball placement is impeccable. Compare that to EJ who frequently jeopardizes the health and well-being of his receivers when he throws to them?

There is no doubt that TT is still learning how to get comfortable in the pocket and go through his progressions. However, because he possesses good speed and quickness he can elude the pass rush, keep his eyes down field and make the throw. You can't teach that reaction. You either have the feel or you don't.

Are the Bills a wild-card playoff team? I have my doubts. What is more important for me is determining this year whether TT is going to be our established franchise qb. Until that question is answered and until we get that position locked down this franchise is going to be a middling franchise.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that is a tough one. Most great scrambling QBs get sacked a lot, too. They just believe they can get away from guys, most often do, but when 90% of QBs would just throw it away for an incompletion they still keep trying to escape and make a play. Those stats are very misleading however. You have to take the good with the bad with all of these guys who can scramble like that.

You were right, it came out sounding way to laudatory; so thank you for the clarification prior.

I'd say that I agree with you on most of your list, to some degree or another, especially on the intangibles. Tyrod has fantastic intangibles.

However, I disagree with you about what you describe (paraphrased) as his "strength making throws for the pocket". I would describe Tyrod as having a fantastic ability to make any throw on the field, or at least those throws that we have seen him attempt, when that throw is readily available to him. He makes one or two "wow" type throws per game, that totally blow you away. He's an exciting player. The problem is, as I've said before, that because he doesn't get through his progressions well, and locks on to single receivers often, that when forced to remain in the pocket, and when that first read doesn't come open he is at his very worst. You saw an example of that yesterday when the Dolphins forced him to remain on the spot, and you could visibly see Tyrod become frantic, ultimately taking a sack.

While I love the competative nature of TT.....I would like to see him smarter when he is running with the ball....meaning go down sooner with incoming defenders.......

I do hold my breath every single time he takes a hit on the field....just get what you need to keep the drive alive and use the rules the NFL has set up to protect QBs

That hit to Bridgewater this last week was flat scarey

That's the only flaw you see in his game? That he doesn't slide soon or often enough?

What do you want me to say? That I agree with you that he cannot throw from the pocket?

The keeping safe issue is the most glaring one to me......the kid is in the top ten in a ton of QB stats.....right up there with the franchise QBs of the league.

So that's a "no" then? He has no other flaws?

I need to see more.....I just cant make a statement on that right now.

He just got healthy and got his offensive weapons back

Im not hedging....im just being cautious

So you've seen enough to be able to say there are things he does well, but you haven't seen enough to be able to say there are things he doesn't do well?

I need to see more.....I just cant make a statement on that right now.

He just got healthy and got his offensive weapons back

Im not hedging....im just being cautious

I am both a hedger and cautious. And I am proud of my equivocating stance. My motto is :When in doubt just say maybe! :thumbsup:

So you've seen enough to be able to say there are things he does well, but you haven't seen enough to be able to say there are things he doesn't do well?

More like

I have seen enough to see he does some things extremely well

and

I havent seen enough starts to see if some things he needs to work on are going to improve....because its not fair to judge right now when he has started like 6 games

its pretty simple really

More like

I have seen enough to see he does some things extremely well

and

I havent seen enough starts to see if some things he needs to work on are going to improve....because its not fair to judge right now when he has started like 6 games

its pretty simple really

How do you know he does those things very well? By your own admission, you're working with too small of a sample size in order to judge quality. By your own standards, their is a chance that his successes have been outliers.

How do you know he does those things very well? By your own admission, you're working with too small of a sample size in order to judge quality. By your own standards, their is a chance that his successes have been outliers.

I cant argue with that......

Thats why Im not making a def determination of him right now and want to see him for the season

Tyrod's stats are impressive. He looks like a starting caliber NFL QB. Now the question is where on the spectrum does he fall? Is he a Fitz type bad starter great backup type QB or is he a franchise guy? Right now we don't know, the only thing we do know is that the team will play him another 8 games to see what he has got.

Tyrod's stats are impressive. He looks like a starting caliber NFL QB. Now the question is where on the spectrum does he fall? Is he a Fitz type bad starter great backup type QB or is he a franchise guy? Right now we don't know, the only thing we do know is that the team will play him another 8 games to see what he has got.

There are couple of differences between TT and Fitz imo.....and yes I really need to see a full year of work

- They both actually run pretty well....obviously TT is better but Fitz has some nice mobility to him

- TT absolutely has the better arm

- TT absolutely has the better deep ball

- Right now I would give Fitz the edge in processing info and quick decision making........of course how many starts does Fitz have compared to TT?

Now....here is where I feel they differ.......when you need your QB to come up big.....right then is where Fitz is at his worst.....he is just not a pressure player.....where as TT really does seem to have that pressure player feel to him......he is NOT the worst player on the field when the game is close.

I want to make it clear that no one has to be defensive about pointing out areas where this particular qb or any prospect has to improve on. So I hope you didn't take my response as a criticism to your reasonable comments.

No one can definitively make a clam that TT is going to be a resounding success or a failure. It simply is too early in the process. However, what I and Kelly and others are referencing is that there are essential elements to his game that make one cautiously optimistic that he will be at the minimum a legitimate franchise qb. He has the arm, accuracy and touch. His ball placement is impeccable. Compare that to EJ who frequently jeopardizes the health and well-being of his receivers when he throws to them?

There is no doubt that TT is still learning how to get comfortable in the pocket and go through his progressions. However, because he possesses good speed and quickness he can elude the pass rush, keep his eyes down field and make the throw. You can't teach that reaction. You either have the feel or you don't.

Are the Bills a wild-card playoff team? I have my doubts. What is more important for me is determining this year whether TT is going to be our established franchise qb. Until that question is answered and until we get that position locked down this franchise is going to be a middling franchise.

EJ did not play Sunday Tyrod did. How about we keep the discussion in line of what happened and not pure speculation.

You almost had me convinced until I read this - Compare that to EJ who frequently jeopardizes the health and well-being of his receivers when he throws to them?

Seriously? Tyrod NEVER throws to guys over the middle? Tyrod is always on target? Don't fool yourself. As good as Tyrod has been he's not perfect.

EJ did not play Sunday Tyrod did. How about we keep the discussion in line of what happened and not pure speculation.

12 passes in a game makes one great and limits the plays that call for a pass over the middle or to the remaining receiving corps.

If Tryod was great going 11 of 12 what of Tannehill's 17 straight completions (was it) before the Bills pressure broke through the Miami O line and Ryan finishing with 27 of 36 and 309 yards?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

You almost had me convinced until I read this - Compare that to EJ who frequently jeopardizes the health and well-being of his receivers when he throws to them?

Seriously? Tyrod NEVER throws to guys over the middle? Tyrod is always on target? Don't fool yourself. As good as Tyrod has been he's not perfect.

12 passes in a game makes one great and limits the plays that call for a pass over the middle or to the remaining receiving corps.

If Tryod was great going 11 of 12 what of Tannehill's 17 straight completions (was it) before the Bills pressure broke through the Miami O line and Ryan finishing with 27 of 36?

Look at Tanny's contract.......look at TT's

But

i agree....it really is time to move past the EJ comparison's

This is about Tyrod Taylor

Tyrod had a nice game. He was not asked to do too much. He only had 12 pass attempts. I don't think that will be the case most weeks.

The BIlls O-line did a nice job opening up the run game despite the fact that Miami at 8-9 in the box all day. The success of the run game and Miami having a spy on Taylor opened up Watkins to single coverage more than usual.

I love the game yesterday and am thrilled with the performance all the way around. But I don't expect those same results week to week. The last couple of games saw the QB throwing 40 attempts per game. That's a recipe for failure most of the time. I'm enjoying this week and looking forward to Thursday night. That will be a HUGE challenge for this team. Short week against a tough opponent, in the division, on the road, plus all the hype around Rex returning to face his former team. There are a lot of potential traps to fall into this week. Hope the BIlls can stay focused. It would be tremendous to get 2 division wins in a 5 day stretch.

Edited by Maddog69

Personally, I've seen enough evidence to believe he is a franchise QB in the sense he is someone who can win a Super Bowl without relying solely on a great D (a la Dilfer et al). He is good enough to win now, and he will only get better.

One thing I've found rather amusing is how there seems to be a handful of posters who are continuously wrong time and again in their assessment/predictions as far as who is and will be a good QB and then instead of eating a slice of humble pie, they come on the next time and assert their opinion on the next guy just as loudly and boldly as they did the last guy that they were wrong about.

I have spent hours arguing with one guy in particular who I told this summer that Derek Carr had an encouraging rookie year and was primed to bust out this year with some new targets to play with. He said he'd rather have EJ Manuel. The same guy has started numerous threads telling everyone that EJ Manuel is/was better than Ryan Tannehill. The same guy (as did another guy on this very page) insisted that when Taylor went down, it was a blessing in disguise as Manuel would be a clear cut upgrade. The same guy (as did the same other guy quoted just above me) told everyone who would listen that while the jury is still out on EJ, the verdict is in: Tyrod Taylor is and always will be a "terrible" QB.

I would encourage people who post on here regularly to start taking note of who says what. It took me a while but now I'm starting to learn who to listen to and who to tune out.

Meanwhile, Taylor continues to impress. Besides holding onto the ball a little too long sometimes and being a little timid about making certain throws, could you be any happier so far? I mean, really, think about your mindset in June in terms of what you expected out of the QB position this season.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Look at Tanny's contract.......look at TT's

But

i agree....it really is time to move past the EJ comparison's

This is about Tyrod Taylor

What does salary have to do with passing yards? Tannehill is a pretty good QB. You don't complete 17 straight on pure luck.

Might be one day he'll cross from pretty good into Very Good and or Great.

Tyrod has done very well (more often than not) too in the 6 total games he's played.

Do you know what strikes me funny - How all of a sudden getting 250 + passing yards per game isn't as important now as compared to last season.

(1) One thing I've found rather amusing is how there seems to be a handful of posters who are continuously wrong time and again in their assessment/predictions as far as who is and will be a good QB and then instead of eating a slice of humble pie, they come on the next time and assert their opinion on the next guy just as loudly and boldly as they did the last guy that they were wrong about.

(2) I have spent hours arguing

(3) Meanwhile, Taylor continues to impress. Besides holding onto the ball a little too long sometimes and being a little timid about making certain throws, could you be any happier so far? I mean, really, think about your mindset in June in terms of what you expected out of the QB position this season.

(1) One thing I've found rather amusing ... you are like a dog with a bone. You just won't give up on it. Said arguing taught me a lesson.

(2) Yes, you have. Too many. You have to accept that everyone has a right to their own opinion and that people do make mistakes.

(3) Those negatives you list are important and could become a huge hindrance in his growth an an NFL QB.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever