Is Tyrod Taylor a franchise QB in the vein of:

Brady

Manning

Roethlisberger

Rodgers

Dalton

Brees

Luck

If you can say "YES" to that question, then by all means extend him and do whatever you can to make him a success. If on the other hand he falls into the category of:

Tannehill

Wilson

Kaepernick

et cetera

then I'd say no. Move on, look elsewhere.

Taylor is a find. Whaley deserves a lot of credit. For someone who's only started a few NFL games and is playing behind a pretty mediocre offensive line, what he's accomplished thus far is pretty incredible. And he should only get better with more experience. Give him an extension and enjoy the ride, unless of course you prefer EJ or feel we're so desperate we should waste a high draft pick on a quarterback. In that regard, please use high draft picks or free agent money on offensive linemen, please.

The question you have to ask is this:

Brady

Manning

Roethlisberger

Rodgers

Dalton

Brees

Luck

If you can say "YES" to that question, then by all means extend him and do whatever you can to make him a success. If on the other hand he falls into the category of:

Tannehill

Wilson

Kaepernick

et cetera

How are Wilson, Tennehill, and Kaepernick possibly in the same category as each other? :lol:

It's an example to prove my point. If people say that with more tape he will be better defensed why hasn't that happened with Brady? They have more tape on him now than ever but he is playing better. Just because you have more film on a player (any player) it doesn't mean that you will do better against them. You may, but you may not. There is not a direct correlation. Quarterbacks improve and adapt just like the defense's do. We have no idea what will happen next. That isn't even a point that can be debated.

No, no we don't. We can't assume the future. There is nothing in his play that indicates the wheels will fall off. Maybe they will but there is no reason to assume that.

What is striking about watching TT play is the difference it makes for a team to have competent qb play. It's a difficult as a fan to digest the product on the field when the qbing is inadequate.

As a starter TT is very inexperienced. What we know at this early stage of his development (aware that he has been in the league for 4 yrs.) is that he is an accurate passer, has a good arm and has a good touch. What is also apparent (at this early stage) is that he has a feel for the game. Whether a qb is experienced or not it quickly becomes evident to evaluators whether the qb has the required feel for the game to have a chance to be successful. He has it. Manuel (for me) doesn't have the "it" factor. He is simply too mechanical and lacks the fluidity to make the necessary adjustments on the fly.

I have no problem with people being skeptical about TT's prospects as a franchise qb. It's understandable after going through so many candidates who didn't meet the standard. But what TT does for us at even this early stage of his starting career is give this team a chance to be successful. I haven't had the sensation for a very long time.

Brady

Manning

Roethlisberger

Rodgers

Dalton

Brees

Luck

Tannehill

Wilson

Kaepernick

et cetera

Would Dalton be on that list last year? With Luck's play this year should he even be grouped with those others? Basically you are saying if Tyrod Taylor isn't a HoF QB, the Bills should move on.

It's ironic to use "the unnecessary sack" when the biggest play of the game was a ball that he threw away left handed. That forced Miami to accept the penalty to knock them out of field goal range. The next play was a 44 yard TD to Watkins. Tyrod's instincts are really impressive. Watch him run, he knows EXACTLY where the markers are. He moves the chains, takes care of the football and makes big plays. The only time that we have had QB play like this (since the playoff years) was the 1st 8 games of Bledsoe. We haven't had "flash in the pan" play at this level. We didn't get it from Losman, Edwards, EJ, Fitz (probably the closest) or Bledsoe after the 1st 8 games. Tyrod isn't there all the way there yet but he is playing at a borderline Pro Bowl level.

unavoidable? I made an observation I am not crucifying him.

It's ironic to use "the unnecessary sack" when the biggest play of the game was a ball that he threw away left handed.

Is this the play that could have been blown dead by the refs but wasn't?

It's an example to prove my point. If people say that with more tape he will be better defensed why hasn't that happened with Brady? They have more tape on him now than ever but he is playing better. Just because you have more film on a player (any player) it doesn't mean that you will do better against them. You may, but you may not. There is not a direct correlation. Quarterbacks improve and adapt just like the defense's do. We have no idea what will happen next. That isn't even a point that can be debated.

No, no we don't. We can't assume the future. There is nothing in his play that indicates the wheels will fall off. Maybe they will but there is no reason to assume that.

Seriously man. Put the crack pipe down. Tainted Tom and Tyrod Taylor are worlds apart.

What is striking about watching TT play is the difference it makes for a team to have competent qb play. It's a difficult as a fan to digest the product on the field when the qbing is inadequate.

As a starter TT is very inexperienced. What we know at this early stage of his development (aware that he has been in the league for 4 yrs.) is that he is an accurate passer, has a good arm and has a good touch. What is also apparent (at this early stage) is that he has a feel for the game. Whether a qb is experienced or not it quickly becomes evident to evaluators whether the qb has the required feel for the game to have a chance to be successful. He has it. Manuel (for me) doesn't have the "it" factor. He is simply too mechanical and lacks the fluidity to make the necessary adjustments on the fly.

I have no problem with people being skeptical about TT's prospects as a franchise qb. It's understandable after going through so many candidates who didn't meet the standard. But what TT does for us at even this early stage of his starting career is give this team a chance to be successful. I haven't had the sensation for a very long time.

This is a really good point. TT definitely has a feel for the game. He's always thinking and putting players in position and not panicking. He's a very good leader. That stuff goes a long way to being a long term player that isn't easily seen.

One other thing. On the first bomb to Sammy he looked right at him, then looked to the middle of the field, then went back to Sammy and saw he was more open and then threw. That was beautiful.

It's tough because I see both sides on this. On one hand pedigree does matter and creates expectations. Mariota, Winston and Johnny Football would kill for a stat line like Taylor's.

That said, I'm willing to wait for a larger sample size, precisely because of the backslide we've seen out of the young guns. RGIII, the second overall pick, was benched for Cousins. Kaepernick was benched for Blaine Gabbert. Cam has had a statistically unimpressive season. Wilson and Luck are having down years without O-line protection. These were the young guns who were supposed to take the league by storm.

I want to see until the end of the year. After that, make the call.

unavoidable? I made an observation I am not crucifying him.

It's ironic to use "the unnecessary sack" when the biggest play of the game was a ball that he threw away left handed.

Is this the play that could have been blown dead by the refs but wasn't?

Seriously man. Put the crack pipe down. Tainted Tom and Tyrod Taylor are worlds apart.

You clearly aren't following the point. Substitute any player that has improved as their career went along, Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, Joique Bell, Jerry Hughes, it doesn't matter the name. Some guys improve even though there is more tape on them. That is the point. Brady was the example not the comparison. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Brady

Manning

Roethlisberger

Rodgers

Dalton

Brees

Luck

Tannehill

Wilson

Kaepernick

et cetera

Wilson?

Are you insane?

Draw them in with the short stuff and then beat them deep. Worked to perfection today.

We've already seen Tyrod go through progressions. I think some people are nit-picking after today's win.

We saw the same Tyrod we've always seen, though this was certainly the best version of that Tyrod.

He struggled in the pocket again, maneuvering himself into two sacks, largely because he can't get through his progressions; and he locked onto his first read nearly the whole game.

Fortunately we played the entire game with a lead, were able to pound the ball on the ground, and Sammy Watkins was running open all day; which meant that Tyrod didn't have to sling the ball all over the yard, and really didn't need to work past his first read very often. If our skill players can remain healthy, we can run for 250+ YPG, only attempt 12 passes, and play with a lead all game Tyrod will be effective.

Brady

Manning

Roethlisberger

Rodgers

Dalton

Brees

Luck

Tannehill

Wilson

Kaepernick

et cetera

So we'd move on from Russell Wilson but be thrilled with Andy Dalton?

How are Wilson, Tennehill, and Kaepernick possibly in the same category as each other? :lol:

Because Wilson, in my opinion (and contrary to popular opinion) is a game manager. Much like Tanny and Kaepernick. Those guys in the upper list can take a team on their shoulders and WIN of their own volition.

Would Dalton be on that list last year? With Luck's play this year should he even be grouped with those others? Basically you are saying if Tyrod Taylor isn't a HoF QB, the Bills should move on.

Yes, I think Dalton would have been on that list last year. Luck should be, because past performance is an indicator of future success. Luck's essentially been a one-man show in Indy. Dalton's had more talent around him, and it's hard to dispute what he's doing now.

We saw the same Tyrod we've always seen, though this was certainly the best version of that Tyrod.

He struggled in the pocket again, maneuvering himself into two sacks, largely because he can't get through his progressions; and he locked onto his first read nearly the whole game.

Fortunately we played the entire game with a lead, were able to pound the ball on the ground, and Sammy Watkins was running open all day; which meant that Tyrod didn't have to sling the ball all over the yard, and really didn't need to work past his first read very often. If our skill players can remain healthy, we can run for 250+ YPG, only attempt 12 passes, and play with a lead all game Tyrod will be effective.

You are extremely predictable

Figured today would be the day you would surface

Yeah his 146.5 rating, 98 QBR were not that impressive and that left handed incompletion to avoid the rush. What a rough game. I mean, he only led them to 33 points. He couldn't even pound it in on that last drive!!!

We have been over this before but do you realize how ridiculous you sound poking holes in that performance? If you still want to prove yourself right, avoid these threads until he has a bad game and then come say "I told you so." You are criticizing his play in the pocket and he had 1 incompletion and it was to avoid a sack!!

You are right that his playbook is rather simplified. That is the right way to handle him at this point. You build off the basics. Roman is being smart in putting him in a position to succeed by not (at this point) expanding what he is required to do.

The more he plays the more teams will adjust to what he is currently doing. Then he will be asked (required) to do more, especially in going through his progressions. You are correct that he is not a finished product and that it can't be assumed that he is capable of taking the next step up. No one knows for sure that he will develop into a legitimate long term franchise qb. What is apparent is that he has the tools and the feel for the game that lends one to believe that he can handle the starting job. As you well stated he is still a work in progress with no guarantees that it will work out.

As a Buffalo Bill fan I am starving for competent qb play. I am cautiouslyoptimistic.

same page. i also like what i am seeing, and simply dont see the harm in acknowledging that theres a lot left to see still.

sometimes this place gets so bi-polar where a good game means we are super bowl contenders and a bad game means we should tank for the top pick. truth is we are a very good roster, with an inexperienced but hopefully able to continue to grow qb at the helm. Thats not a bad place to be. heck, even if tyrod doesnt "get there," we could see a kaepernick or sanchez couple of years with us right in there with the elite. and theres a chance he does become the long term answer too! i hate that anyone is qualifying my sentiment as hyper-critical, or negative.

The first deep ball to Sammy he looked to Sammy, saw he was still covered, looked to the middle, saw no one open, then looked back to Sammy and threw a 63 yard completion. Didn't lock on the guy at all.