Reflecting on the Bills last 3 first round picks

Mr. WEO

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, it hasn't . The Watkins pick still has potential, but EJ looks like an epic reach. Just not enough top shelf talent there, looks like a third rounder or so. The Bills need to select at least one QB in the top 3 rounds each year until they find a guy. Not saying it won't be Tyrod, but you have to keep plugging until you have one for sure. It's pretty clear EJM won't be back next season.

I stand by Whaley 100% if that is what this topic is about. Sammy is always hurt, couldn't have predicted that coming out of college. EJ is a disaterous bust that caused me to question my Bill fandom...but the nightmare is almost certainly over after today (even if we have to wait until next preseason to fully realize the end). Also, I'm not sure how much to put on Whaley regarding the EJ pick (although it seems he's the Cassel-trade guy for sure...which is not good).

With that said, the roster has gotten better every year for the last few years and is currently the best it has been in a while (notwithstanding the unbelievably ****ty play as of late).

We're trending upwards. Rex seems to really be !@#$ing up the defense, but with the season in the tank at this point might as well give him a year to see if he can mesh with the talent and look forward to returning to defense glory next year with renewed offensive health and no EJ.

Edited by Rex'sOffense

Well, if counting Sammy as two picks, you have to count the other as ej AND kiko, no?

I'd say that's fair. I'd also say that's not very good value. Kiko had some talent, but I think he'd be a poor value for a first round pick (especially a top 10) and EJ's value doesn't add much to the equation.

EJ & kiko / McCoy

Sammy is a stud ( ask Cleveland if they would like to undo that trade)

That's a fairly odd standard to judge by.

I stand by Whaley 100% if that is what this topic is about. Sammy is always hurt, couldn't have predicted that coming out of college. EJ is a disaterous bust that caused me to question my Bill fandom...but the nightmare is almost certainly over after today (even if we have to wait until next preseason to fully realize the end). Also, I'm not sure how much to put on Whaley regarding the EJ pick (although it seems he's the Cassel-trade guy for sure...which is not good).

With that said, the roster has gotten better every year for the last few years and is currently the best it has been in a while (notwithstanding the unbelievably ****ty play as of late).

We're trending upwards. Rex seems to really be !@#$ing up the defense, but with the season in the tank at this point might as well give him a year to see if he can mesh with the talent and look forward to returning to defense glory next year with renewed offensive health and no EJ.

Why is the nightmare over after today? There's no guarantee Taylor won't get nicked again, especially as a running quarterback. The nightmare will return. EJ is so limited that the bar is very low on his threshold.

Well, if counting Sammy as two picks, you have to count the other as ej AND kiko, no?

Sammy was 2 first round picks. Getting kiko doesn't change that we had no first round pick this year.

Kiko is gone, maybe be done forever.

Shady? got 5 games and under 250 yards rushing from him so far...

EJ was a reach at the time and it was also a Nix influenced decision as well. All Nix talked about was drafting a QB that year, hence EJ Manuel. Sammy, aside from his bad luck with injuries, has the makings of being our best WR since Moulds. Now all we need is an OC who schemes the ball his way and Sammy to get some better juju.

Do not forget about CK as a second round pick the year we traded up to get Sammy. My recollection is that Whaley wanted to keep the second round pick in that draft so he traded the first round pick for the next year. CK does not look like a starting caliber RT. Not a good pick to add to the issues noted with the use of the first round picks.

EJ has not worked out

but

I think it is important to note that the 1st round pick that year ACTUALLY yielded us EJ......and Kiko (or maybe it was woods and then kiko in the 2nd round)

Then

Kiko (who was runner up rookie D player of the year) yielded us Shady McCoy in trade

but now....in itself the 1st round pick of EJ did not work out. It was a weak draft for QBs......and NONE of them have appeared to work out in that year.

Yea.... too early to judge Sammy - I still think he is a stud. The EJ pick is a bust.... but as I keep saying can't look at that pick without the context... they had backed themselves into a corner at QB and took a flier on the guy they thought was the best bet.... Glennon has performed similarly, Geno worse and none of the rest of that class have seen the field. It was a bad pick caused b a bad situation.

If you look back at the context of the guys they have picked 1st since Nix had his clear out of the Modrak crew.... Dareus, Gilmore and Watkins are all excellent players. Will Sammy prove worth two firsts? Maybe not but I still think there is a chance he will and our first pick this year - Darby - looks like a first round talent out there too.

Wasn't Martavis Bryant also drafted the same year as Watkins?

Even if Watkins turns out to be a great player (which he will if he can stay healthy, which is uncertain), Whaley's overall approach to team-building has been bad. He shows a very poor understanding of how to maximize assets, how to prioritize various positions, and how to maintain the right balance between youth and veteran leadership.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Anyone else prefer old man polian over Whaley now? Our owners wanted polian- don't forget that

That's where my mind keeps going. I bought in and believed things were destined for greatness but we are still stuck in the same rut with the same management... only with more resources. Very similar to the sabres' purchase.