EJ Maneul stinks out loud.

ScrewyLouie

Your schtick is old, especially for someone who claims to know about the game. Our offense was averaging 33 points a game when healthy, then it's 2 best players went down and the production suffered. Our QB isn't Brady or Manning, he can't make up for that heavy of losses, but to say he absolutely can not be "the guy" because of stats from games without our best playmakers is flat out ignorant.

Tyrod's offense is: last in the entire NFL in 3 and outs. LAST. Roughly 1/3 of all of his possessions end in 3 and outs. In his last two starts that number increased to 50% of all possessions ending in either 3 and outs or turnovers in fewer than three possessions ending in three and outs in the first half.

That's a formula for dozens of wins. Just ask FireChan.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading this board makes me think some believe we have a QB controversy to solve. EJ is a back up and TT is the starter who should continue to get better with more playing time and confidence. Same for OL which is struggling, but not a surprise. The real mystery and our very real problem is the DL. No penetration at all. Last couple of years, someone was always in the backfield disrupting running plays and chasing QBs on passes. This season, zip! Same guys, different scheme. Running D is ok, but seem to lose their will to play as soon as things get tough. They seem to catch runners and pull them down rather than hitting through them like last year. Better switch back to the old scheme soon before it is too late. 3-3 isn't bad, but losing repeatedly at home is inexcusable.

Inevitable given the pre-season competition, the naming of TT as the starter, and the small but very vocal minority in here who were upset that EJ didn't get the nod. Now that reality has finally set in, posters are naturally going to comment on it..

TT is the clear starter.

McCoy is the real ... MCcoy.

EJ is a quality backup.

We STIILL haven't had the whole O - TT, Watkins, Shady, Clay, Woods, Felton on the field at the same time.

We should be 4-2 instead of 3-3 but i'll take it given the above. Eff the Giants and those refs for that game.

Cincy O is for real - game changing plays were basically circus catches/runs. D was there and could not have been better on A LOT of plays - how do defend that bomb on 3rd and 10 any better ? Glimore had it in his hands. I think Cincy could beat the Patriots.

Relax. We go into the bye 4-3 and come out with our whole O. TT will get us in the playoffs. EJ homers just need to breathe. He's a good back-up. It's OK.

Edited by moshermw

Tyrod's offense is: last in the entire NFL in 3 and outs. LAST. Roughly 1/3 of all of his possessions end in 3 and outs. In his last two starts that number increased to 50% of all possessions ending in either 3 and outs or turnovers in fewer than three possessions ending in three and outs in the first half.

That's a formula for dozens of wins. Just ask FireChan.

Only one of our QB's has a winning record as a starter. Ayo.

Only one of our QB's has a winning record as a starter. Ayo.

They are both 0-1 against undefeated teams.

But you may have a point, so I'll let you make it.

Explain how Tyrod's unable to get first downs, unable to score points, unable to even cross the 50 in the first half, offense fares better.

Last in the whole NFL in 3 and out.

Best % is about 6. Tyrod gives it back in 3 or less about 1/3 of the time.

#tyrodwinslikecharlie

#firechansaidso

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Three words: Three. And. Out.

going into the game the Bills were last in 3 and outs in the NFL. So we are first in 3 and outs and first in penalties. Build that bully Rex. There was a play where I swear Dalton had 6 seconds. Who are you and what have you done with our Bills defense?

They are both 0-1 against undefeated teams.

But you may have a point, so I'll let you make it.

Explain how Tyrod's unable to get first downs, unable to score points, unable to even cross the 50 in the first half, offense fares better.

Last in the whole NFL in 3 and out.

Best % is about 6. Tyrod gives it back in 3 or less about 1/3 of the time.

#tyrodwinslikecharlie

#firechansaidso

Tyrod makes plays to win at the end. Don't hate me, hate the W-L record.

#The3And2Man

#VsThe0And1Man

#AnswerIsClear

#BetterLuckInTheNextQBCompetition

Edited by FireChan

He put up a good game. 1 pick wasn't good but our defense was to blame this game. If you're blaming anyone on the offense blame the play calls by Greg Roman and our injury to Watkins. EJ missed some easy throws. He has to work on that but he played well enough for a win.

Tyrod makes plays to win at the end. Don't hate me, hate the W-L record.

#The3And2Man

#VsThe0And1Man

#AnswerIsClear

#BetterLuckInTheNextQBCompetition

#delusionalzealot

Tell me what Tyrod does that wins the Bengals game.

You can't. 3 and outs don't win games.

No one won this QB competition. Well... Maybe the rest of the AFC East did.

#delusionalzealot

Tyrod scores in the second half to keep us in it. Instead of letting them score over and over and over unanswered. Maybe he throws a non-dumpoff on third and 11.

Tyrod scores in the second half to keep us in it. Instead of letting them score over and over and over unanswered. Maybe he throws a non-dumpoff on third and 11.

Why keep feeding him FireChan? This is not a constructive argument. He has a viewpoint and is uninterested in having a discussion about it. He's in multiple threads calling people zealots when he is the delusional one. Put him on your block list and be done with it.

Yes, but my point is that when you look at the specific issues, EJ was making the same mistakes and we saw his accuracy problems because of that. They managed to stay successful with Sammy and Goodwin still out there, but EJ still struggled with his own issues.

You're simplifying it too much, IMO, by just looking at the score and saying he was fine in the first half. He wasn't fine.

15/20 and 2 td is more than fine.

Lol how dare anyone besmirch the sacred cow HOW DARE THEY

#delusionalzealot

Move along gents, nothing to see here,

TT is the clear starter.

McCoy is the real ... MCcoy.

EJ is a quality backup.

We STIILL haven't had the whole O - TT, Watkins, Shady, Clay, Woods, Felton on the field at the same time.

We should be 4-2 instead of 3-3 but i'll take it given the above. Eff the Giants and those refs for that game.

Cincy O is for real - game changing plays were basically circus catches/runs. D was there and could not have been better on A LOT of plays - how do defend that bomb on 3rd and 10 any better ? Glimore had it in his hands. I think Cincy could beat the Patriots.

Relax. We go into the bye 4-3 and come out with our whole O. TT will get us in the playoffs. EJ homers just need to breathe. He's a good back-up. It's OK.

this is a better post.

Cinci is fro real

If EJ was inaccurate yesterday, then so was Andy Dalton. They had identical completion percentages.

which clearly illustrates how statistics can be deceiving. no one watching that game objectively could judge those 2 qb's to be equally valuable. and the folks that matter, league general managers (with the possible exclusion of whaley) have likely long ago determined a minimal value for manuel.

The next draft the Bills need to draft a QB early. EJ will NEVER be an NFL quarterback. I was rooting so hard for the guy to make it but I have to give up on him. Three years in the league and he hasn't improved one iota. He's as bad now as he was on his first day in the league. The guy has all the physical tools but he just does NOT have it upstairs. No brains. This guy is dumber than a box of rocks. :wallbash::thumbdown::thumbdown:

coming from screwylouie not sure where to go with this..... but yes, his throwing mechanics once he has to move off the spot are bad, very bad. when set, he can be good, but move him and he doesn't re set his feet to throw... having said that, Peyton Manning was doing exactly the same thing yesterday and threw a couple picks...

Yes, now we know who our starter is. TT. Go bills. Beat the Jags and go get healthy.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

Blaming EJ for yesterdays loss is like blaming your left rear tire when your car doesn't start. Did EJ play lights out NO. Did he cost us the game Hell no. The defense did. Anyone trying to use the excuse that the D was on the field too much needs to consider that the D can take themselves off the field. All they need to do is make a stop. If we scored 33 points and lost by one people would still be blaming EJ. The D stunk, and ST was a cesspool also. Do I think we need an upgrade at QB ABSOLUTLY! But it wasn't the reason we lost yesterday!!!!

Edited by MikeSpeed

Stinks out loud is a bit harsh IMO.

1 passing TD, 1 rushing TD and INT.

21 points which is just under the combined 24 points scored for the last 2 games.

The completion ratio for both Dalton 22/33 and EJ 28/42 had was the same.

Dalton is a red hot QB and has been for years. EJ not so much.

Blaming EJ for yesterdays loss is like blaming your left rear tire when your car doesn't start. Did EJ play lights out NO. Did he cost us the game Hell no. The defense did. Anyone trying to use the excuse that the D was on the field too much needs to consider that the D can take themselves off the field. All they need to do is make a stop. If we scored 33 points and lost by one people would still be blaming EJ. The D stunk, and ST was a cesspool also. Do I think we need an upgrade at QB ABSOLUTLY! But it wasn't the reason we lost yesterday!!!!

This ^

which clearly illustrates how statistics can be deceiving. no one watching that game objectively could judge those 2 qb's to be equally valuable. and the folks that matter, league general managers (with the possible exclusion of whaley) have likely long ago determined a minimal value for manuel.

Still having problems with reading comprehension aren't you. That's not what I said at all.

Edited by Nanker

Funny that.

I just looked at Dalton's stats

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14012/andy-dalton

A [edit] career season average rating of 85 and an average QBR of 51.2.

Edited by NOVABillsFan

IDK if EJ stinks out loud. But, maybe Whaley would have got better value on a EJ trade, and kept cassell for this season.

What EJ showed yesterday was really after another year of seasoning, his game has shown little if any improvement.

Not going to help his trade value.

Any GM would see that. No way does he go past his rookie deal with the Bills. as for the thinking that he is a good #2,

Where does that come from? Frank Reich was a good # 2. EJ never had us in the game, he lost. But yea the opening drive was nice. Just a wild guess

But next season a rookie will be holding the clipboard. I hope Whaley gets one with potential. If Pegula resigns Whaley. Are lame duck GM's common in the NFL?

I'm no great fan of Manuel, but he led two legit, long TD drives in the first half. He made a good run to the endzone for one score and made a good play to get it to Watkins for the other (and it wasn't a bad pass; Watkins hurt his ankle long before the ball arrived). 2 TDs in the first half is better than league average. In fact, if we averaged two TDs a half (28 pts per game) people would think we have a good offense. When he got the ball next, the Bills were down by 2 scores, and garbage time quickly ensued.

He's not great, but he was OK yesterday. He did what a backup is supposed to do - lead the team to ~20 points with minimal turnovers (one TO is acceptable), with the ultimate objective of getting the team to .500 in the games he plays.

Edited by dave mcbride

Top priority is getting a good QB ! I believe there are some already out on other teams that are sleepers .

One is the guy from Ala. that is on the Bengals that will never see the field with Dalton playing this good , The Bills won't get him this year but next year they could get him if they offer him a chance at starting.

But if Rex is as set with Tyrod being a great QB as he is with his Defensive scheme being a good one the Bills are doomed to being middle of the road at the position !

Get er done Whaley !!

I don't think there is any problem in critiquing EJ's play, I don't think anyone(I may have missed it?) is saying that EJ's play led to the loss. I wasn't particularly impressed with his play, his ball placement still leaves a lot to be desired. Clay saved him on 2 horrible throws, he got burned for an INT on another horrible throw and I believe there were a couple more throws were the receivers bailed him out. He also threw short quite a few times on 3rd down and took a couple bad sacks.

Looking at his stats, 15/20 for 1 TD, 1 INT and a running TD people might conclude that he preformed fairly well. Unfortunately stats don't tell the entire story as pointed out by his bad ball placement.

Was he OK for a backup QB? Sure, I suppose he was but he certainly didn't look anything like preseason EJ Manuel. He looked more like the EJ Manuel of old.

I don't think there is any problem in critiquing EJ's play, I don't think anyone(I may have missed it?) is saying that EJ's play led to the loss. I wasn't particularly impressed with his play, his ball placement still leaves a lot to be desired. Clay saved him on 2 horrible throws, he got burned for an INT on another horrible throw and I believe there were a couple more throws were the receivers bailed him out. He also threw short quite a few times on 3rd down and took a couple bad sacks.

Looking at his stats, 15/20 for 1 TD, 1 INT and a running TD people might conclude that he preformed fairly well. Unfortunately stats don't tell the entire story as pointed out by his bad ball placement.

Was he OK for a backup QB? Sure, I suppose he was but he certainly didn't look anything like preseason EJ Manuel. He looked more like the EJ Manuel of old.

This is a fair assessment of EJ. Some good mixed in with bad as we've seen in his previous appearances. Not the reason the team lost yesterday, but certainly a disappointing performance based on the progress he showed in preseason.

Perspective with some facts:

-EJ is the back up and Tyrod is the starter, 2015 production stats align with this

- EJ manual's stat line is nearly identical to Tyrod vs the gaints including rushing

- wr injuries are so significant denarius Moore was playing WR, Marquis Goodwin left a game injured again

- Cincinnati beat the bills, but theyve beaten everyone else they played too.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Dalton has a QB Rating of 116 and a QBR of 84. Not sure what stats you're looking at.

My apologies. I meant to say "Career" stats. Thus far his #'s for this season are much better on average than past seasons.

From what I read on the first page, it looked as if a few people did put blame on EJ. But I could have misinterpreted their post.

Top priority is getting a good QB !

The top priority is always getting a good QB. We knew the Bills didn't have a top QB coming into this season and the plan was to win with D and ST and get the running game going. So far the QB has not been the issue this season. We've gotten better play than we likely expected from it and it still hasn't been enough because of the D, ST and penalties.