Carucci: Disconnect exists between DL and scheme

YoloinOhio

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/07/bills-d-line-experiencing-disconnect-with-scheme/

Something isnt quite right with the Buffalo Bills' defensive line.

You can take the simple approach to criticizing its pronounced lack of pass-rushing dominance through four games by saying the highest-paid front four in NFL history is proving it isnt worth the quarter-billion-plus-dollar investment the team made to keep it together.

You can say that it was exposed when Tom Brady and Eli Manning made those ultra-quick throws that were in the air after Mario Williams, Marcell Dareus, Kyle Williams, and Jerry Hughes were barely out of their stances.

Youd also be leaving out an important part of what has unfolded with the unit during a 2-2 start that has some of the Bills most optimistic followers rethinking those playoff expectations.

Buffalos defensive linemen are not fully connected with the scheme that Rex Ryan is employing.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's tough to write a daily column in the NFL.

Vic should (and does) know better. He can whip that analysis out if a non-top 10 QB does what Brady and Eli did. Seeing that the only games left with one of those QBs is the Pats rematch, it's really phoning it in to declare the DL a bust, IMO...

It's tough to write a daily column in the NFL.et

Vic should (and does) know better. He can whip that analysis out if a non-top 10 QB does what Brady and Eli did. Seeing that the only games left with one of those QBs is the Pats rematch, it's really phoning it in to declare the DL a bust, IMO...

Not sure Vic's calling the dline a bust, Lurker; to deny there is something amiss is to ignore reality, however. It's been commented on TBD by me and others that this constant posturing, shifting (in attempt to cause confusion as to who might be blitzing), guys standing upright barely in any position to attack, etc. all seem to be emasculating this front four. How else to describe the blatantly obvious drop in production.

And don't even get me started about things like lining up K Williams @ DE. What else other than Rex's scheme changed between this year and the 2 years past ? NOTHING

This defensive coaching staff has had multiple playoff and Superbowl defensive lines so I think I will look for the players to learn the complex scheme in a reasonable time frame and judge the success with wins, not individual stats.

it's not individual stats, Yolo; you're missing the point - it's a noticeable dropoff in overall pressure/stats by the entire DL

I'm not buying this premise. The Bills' defense has looked great in two games (IND and MIA), Pretty good in one game (NYG), and not very good in one game (NE). I recall the Schwartz defense also getting lit up for 37 by Brady and the Patriots in the one game that they really tried. It's still too early to worry about this so called issue IMO. I expect the D will congeal into an excellent unit on a more consistent basis in time.

To say this line is a major dissapointment would be an understatement. Brady and Manning literally destroyed them!

This was to be the year that Brady was on his ass more than he was looking downfield, and he laughed all the way back to Chowdville after making them look like they never played before.

Not sure Vic's calling the dline a bust, Lurker; to deny there is something amiss is to ignore reality, however. It's been commented on TBD by me and others that this constant posturing, shifting (in attempt to cause confusion as to who might be blitzing), guys standing upright barely in any position to attack, etc. all seem to be emasculating this front four. How else to describe the blatantly obvious drop in production.

And don't even get me started about things like lining up K Williams @ DE. What else other than Rex's scheme changed between this year and the 2 years past ? NOTHING

it's not individual stats, Yolo; you're missing the point - it's a noticeable dropoff in overall pressure/stats by the entire DL

dropoff from what -- sacks and pressures from all of 2014 combined? Bills DL currently ranks 8th in QB pressures with 67 and we all know we've played two QBs out of 4 who got the ball out too fast to sack. The scheme itself does not rely on sacks, it's intention is to force bad throws. The sacks will be there with certain matchups due to talent level but it's not this scheme's calling card. Hughes was an absolute menace vs Miami and his stat line was 1 tackle 0 sacks. The comments make sense from the article. They are doing different stuff that takes adaptation. It's a work in progress. This scheme is complex and will take more than four games to gel as a unit. IMO they know what they are doing as they've been successful in the past.

To say this line is a major dissapointment would be an understatement. Brady and Manning literally destroyed them!

This was to be the year that Brady was on his ass more than he was looking downfield, and he laughed all the way back to Chowdville after making them look like they never played before.

Manning did not destroy them, stop saying this.

What/where is the disconnect? The DL is there to generate pressure and make it so that the back 7 doesn't have to cover for an eternity. A couple QB's have had success going to a quick-passing game to negate that pass-rush. But again, if that was a feasible plan for most teams, they'd all be doing it every passing play of every game, to negate every team's pass rush. But they're not because it's not. So again, what/where is the "disconnect"?

And what's being forgotten is that in those 2 losses, the offense and ST's played poorly the first half, going 3 and out often and turning the ball over, missed FG's, or gave up stupid penalties.

IMO its premature. Luck and Tannehill certainly would agree. The sample size is too limited to make definitive judgements when the poor showings were against a lock first ballot HOFer and a 34-year old guy who could get there someday if he can get ring number three.

IIRC, the DL looked similarly bad against Brady in the 2014 home game under Schwartz's scheme (2 sacks for 15 yards, 346 net passing yards and 4 TDs allowed). They shut down Arron Rodgers and Old Man Payton last year but those were the only other quality QBs they faced.

With Mariota, Dalton, Bortles, Tannehill, Fitzpatrick, Smith, Mallett, Bradford, Cousins, Romo and Fitz coming up, the DL should eat just fine...

Having raised the question in the summer of whether Ryan's D would be better than the Schwartz D, I have to say it's a bit premature to pine for the Schwartz at the moment. Let's at least wait until the half-way mark to make any judgments...

Brady lit them up as he has done to many Bills and other teams. Manning was 20-35 for 212 yards (almost 25% on one 2 yard throw) with 3 TDs. I don't think Manning lit them up. I have some reservations about the defense but I am in wait and see mode.

IMO its premature. Luck and Tannehill certainly would agree. The sample size is too limited to make definitive judgements when the poor showings were against a lock first ballot HOFer and a 34-year old guy who could get there someday if he can get ring number three.

IIRC, the DL looked similarly bad against Brady in the 2014 home game under Schwartz's scheme (2 sacks for 15 yards, 346 net passing yards and 4 TDs allowed). They shut down Arron Rodgers and Old Man Payton last year but those were the only other quality QBs they faced.

With Mariota, Dalton, Bortles, Tannehill, Fitzpatrick, Smith, Mallett, Bradford, Cousins, Romo and Fitz coming up, the DL should eat just fine...

Would they? Haven't they gotten blown out by almost everybody?

Edited by FireChan