Carucci: Disconnect exists between DL and scheme

YoloinOhio

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think that a veteran reporter like Carucci would know that sacks aren't the only way to measure a d-line's effectiveness, yet here we are.

It's a new scheme and the players are adjusting to the scheme. And still playing pretty well in the process (with plenty of QB pressure).

You would think that a veteran reporter like Carucci would know that sacks aren't the only way to measure a d-line's effectiveness, yet here we are.

Working for the Browns seems to have 'busted' Vic. He's just not the same guy who excelled during his first stint at the Snooze...

There is only a drop off on the stat sheet. The DL was all over Luck in week 1. So BB decided to negate the DL s rush prowess with extremely quick throws. ( under 2 seconds according to pff. ) the D also did not blitz Brady very often. It's a copycat league, so every coach from here on out will try to emulate the master. However, these teams do not have Brady, nor the NE personnel at WR @ TE. Miami got walloped. NYG Manning got the ball out quickly ( faster than Brady per PFF) but their passing game was essentially neutered. If the Bills Offense did anything at all in this game it is likey a two score Bills win. But for some reason everyone is decrying the lack of sacks by the D. You just cannot get there in 2 seconds or less. But that is a major concession on Offense by these teams. The real problem is on the Bills O, where the QBs lack of experience is being exposed via injuries to skill position players. TT was not good enough to carry the team on his back and get a W. It will be up to G -Ro to identify what TT can do well with the players that are healthy. That appears to be a great challenge going forward. The focus should be on winning games and not piling up sacks in losses.

Call it a DL disconnect or whatever you want, this defense, which was suppose to be shutdown, is anything but. Strangely enough, I think the Bills offense is covering up for the inadequancies of the defense.

I have to question whether you watched the INDY, MIA, and the second half of the NYG game with this post.. Not to mention the offense was stagnant for most of the NE game as well as the NYG game which did the defense no favors.. There's no way you can justify this thinking IMO.

@TheJoeMarino

Hearing "#Bills D isn't as good this year. Last year it was elite." Here's how they compare in 1st 4 games. #Relax

CQwgl3IWgAA7W5p.png

Call it a DL disconnect or whatever you want, this defense, which was suppose to be shutdown, is anything but. Strangely enough, I think the Bills offense is covering up for the inadequancies of the defense.

Yeah, that blistering 10 point onslaught they put on the Giants sure covered up a lot of defensive faults on the Bills. Any more Bills scoring drives and Beckham Jr might have been kept of the stat sheet completely.

I have to question whether you watched the INDY, MIA, and the second half of the NYG game with this post.. Not to mention the offense was stagnant for most of the NE game as well as the NYG game which did the defense no favors.. There's no way you can justify this thinking IMO.

I don't think it matters what they did to MIA or Indy. Those are garbage teams this year. One coach has already been fired and Indy's coach is next in line. As for the Giants, why do you ignore the 1st half? And ignore the 51 yard TD reception in the 2nd half that guaranteed a Bills loss? This is supposed to be a playoff-caliber defense and it's anything but.

Bring back Schwartz

Wow, did anyone have the over/under at 4 games for that?

Or.....teams are devising a game plan to negate our pass rush.....just maybe

but no....that would require too much thought.....

Or.....he is saying that it shouldn't be that easy to do with a Pro Bowl studded D-line and a legendary defensive coaching mind......just maybe

Here's how they compare in 1st 4 games.

CQwgl3IWgAA7W5p.png

Given the 2015 QBs they've faced through week four are stronger than the 2014 set, those stats are pretty encouraging. They only had one sack against Cutler and two against Rivers (neither guy being that mobile) last year, but expectations were not as over-inflated at that point...

It's tough to write a daily column in the NFL.

Vic should (and does) know better. He can whip that analysis out if a non-top 10 QB does what Brady and Eli did. Seeing that the only games left with one of those QBs is the Pats rematch, it's really phoning it in to declare the DL a bust, IMO...

Carucci is not wrong.

I don't think it matters what they did to MIA or Indy. Those are garbage teams this year. One coach has already been fired and Indy's coach is next in line. As for the Giants, why do you ignore the 1st half? And ignore the 51 yard TD reception in the 2nd half that guaranteed a Bills loss? This is supposed to be a playoff-caliber defense and it's anything but.

The defenses performance in the two wins don't count?? :huh: The Giants didn't do a whole lot in the 1st half either, but in the 2nd half it was almost nothing except the 51 yard TD that was the result of a blown assignment that Bradham tried to cover for. This is a non issue at this juncture of the season. IMO of course.

I'm not buying this premise. The Bills' defense has looked great in two games (IND and MIA), Pretty good in one game (NYG), and not very good in one game (NE). I recall the Schwartz defense also getting lit up for 37 by Brady and the Patriots in the one game that they really tried. It's still too early to worry about this so called issue IMO. I expect the D will congeal into an excellent unit on a more consistent basis in time.

Honestly, i thought they were a little lucky against indy - the beneficiaries of holding calls away from the play that negated big indy gains early on. I thought the pressure in that game was weak. And miami appears to be terrible. Edited by dave mcbride

I have to question whether you watched the INDY, MIA, and the second half of the NYG game with this post.. Not to mention the offense was stagnant for most of the NE game as well as the NYG game which did the defense no favors.. There's no way you can justify this thinking IMO.@TheJoeMarino

Hearing "#Bills D isn't as good this year. Last year it was elite." Here's how they compare in 1st 4 games. #Relax

CQwgl3IWgAA7W5p.png

Interesting and not surprising at all. I'd like to see the comparable opposing QB ratings vs last year, too. I am not worried about sacks as pressures are often more important in the scheme of things. If we continue to get stellar corner play and our safeties and LBs become more familiar, I think we will start to resemble some of Ryan's previous dominating Ds.

It takes error free quarterbacking to keep relying on quick, short passes to consistently move the ball downfield and it isn't an effective come from behind offense, either. It would be nice to play with more leads against better QBs.

Disconnect with the scheme or not, our DLine is being paid enormous respect by opposing teams given the nature of the attascks we have seen. Not sure why Carucci can't appreciate that.

GO BILLS!!!

Given the 2015 QBs they've faced through week four are stronger than the 2014 set, those stats are pretty encouraging. They only had one sack against Cutler and two against Rivers (neither guy being that mobile) last year, but expectations were not as over-inflated at that point...

The 2014 set is incorrect, the Bills D only allowed 68 points through 4 games. Almost a 30 point difference.

Honestly, i thought they were a little lucky against indy - the beneficiaries of holding calls away from the play that negated big indy gains early on. I thought the pressure in that game was weak. And miami appears to be terrible.

Andrew Luck was hit, hurried, and harassed all day long and strongly disagrees with you because he picked himself up from the turf many times that day.

Working for the Browns seems to have 'busted' Vic. He's just not the same guy who excelled during his first stint at the Snooze...

Or maybe you just don't like that he's not a homer. The numbers don't lie. The bills are giving up a lot of yards with a unit that is more talented this year than last (Darby is an upgrade).

Andrew Luck was hit, hurried, and harassed all day long and strongly disagrees with you because he picked himself up from the turf many times that day.

Trust me, I watched the game. Big plays were taken away from the colts on holding calls and offensive PI calls that changed the game in the first half. The colts moved the ball. That's not a huge criticism because they do have a good offense when the squad is healthy. Edited by dave mcbride

Or maybe you just don't like that he's not a homer. The numbers don't lie. The bills are giving up a lot of yards with a unit that is more talented this year than last (Darby is an upgrade).

Trust me, I watched the game. Big plays were taken away from the colts on holding calls and offensive PI calls that changed the game in the first half. The colts moved the ball. That's not a huge criticism because they do have a good offense when the squad is healthy.

Now why would the Colts OL need to hold???? Hmmm?