Carucci: Disconnect exists between DL and scheme

YoloinOhio

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They played a good game vs the Giants, not great but good. Great game vs Indy and Miami, can't get any better. 24-0 and 27-0 before prevent.

The D needs to just continue what they are doing. They are going to get better statistically if this keeps up and finish top 5 in every stat.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

OK, forget the outlier if you must. Even WITH Brady's record performance against us and including the fact a QB did not come close to doing that in the first for games last year, are we not better in terms of yards per play, completion percentage, and QB rating against?

Using gross yards given up is just getting stats to say what you want. The MAIN reason why gross yards are up is because of the sheer amount of additional passes attempted against us.

I had you pegged as someone who could look inside the numbers.

GO BILLS!!!

I do look inside the numbers, and they are not a bad defense. But they aren't nearly as good as last season so far. The problem is that they are loaded with talent, and they really aren't getting the pressure they got last year.

Carucci is pointing out the manifestly obvious -- and something all of the d-linemen actually agree with!! They can step it up, and they need to. But it appears that guys like williams, dareus, and williams feel like they're being misused. Schwartz is a smart guy and a good dc too. Why is this controversial?

I don't think the d is terrible. I also think that the run d is better than passable. The corner play has been great. But overall, the front seven has not played well in the passing game. Arguing otherwise strikes me as the equivalent of whistling past the graveyard. I hope they pick it up.

Complaining about non-calls is the refuge of a losing argument. :)

The pass rush has been significantly muted.

And not just by the quick drops or just in the NE or NYG games.

Even when QB's are holding the ball they aren't getting to them as quickly as we've become accustomed for the past couple of seasons.

As you noted, the corner play has definitely been better and has covered up some for their uncharacteristic lack of push.

I've advocated spreading the DL out more to create wider OL splits and force blockers to defend our DL in space and make teams using the short passing game throw over or thru DL.

My guess is that Rex is not using that approach because it structurally weakens the run defense.

But that's why you PAID Marcel Dareus and Kyle Williams.

The strength of Rex Ryan's D early on in NY was it's ability to create both solid run defense and pass rush without requiring exceptional talent on the DL.

Now he has a once-in-a-career type 4 man front and he is using them the same way he would any other assembly of talent.

We've seen coaches not cater their schemes to the talent at hand before, this is no different.

Pleas explain "look in the mirror." I have no idea what you mean and I'd appreciate a substantive explanation.

My complaints about Vic have nothing to do with 'homerism'...the easy, simplistic thinking of guys like yourself who throw that slur out there when they think all someone wants to read is rainbows and fairy dust from the media and disagree with their POV.

Vic's inside access, deep/knowledgeable contacts and overall experience at NFL.com, Sirius and yes, the Snooze, should provide his readers with insight everytime he sits down and bangs on the keyboard. Right now, Tyler Dunne is eating his lunch and Vic reads like a wet-behind-the-ears rookie stringer way too often...

They played a good game vs the Giants, not great but good. Great game vs Indy and Miami, can't get any better. 24-0 and 27-0 before prevent.

The D needs to just continue what they are doing.

I think they played well in the second half against ny except for one catastrophic play (a play in which they were in position), but they really didn't play well in the first half. Miami is a bad team.

This game against TN will show me a lot. They have a good offensive coach, and Mariota is good (and he doesn't turn the ball over). But he's 4th slowest in the league in hold time before releasing the ball. So they should get some pressure. They'll have the opportunity.

I think they played well in the second half against ny except for one catastrophic play (a play in which they were in position), but they really didn't play well in the first half. Miami is a bad team.

This game against TN will show me a lot. They have a good offensive coach, and Mariota is good (and he doesn't turn the ball over). But he's 4th slowest in the league in hold time before releasing the ball. So they should get some pressure. They'll have the opportunity.

No, the offense didn't play well.

My complaints about Vic have nothing to do with 'homerism'...the easy, simplistic thinking of guys like yourself who throw that slur out there when they think all someone wants to read is rainbows and fairy dust from the media and disagree with their POV.

Vic's inside access, deep/knowledgeable contacts and overall experience at NFL.com, Sirius and yes, the Snooze, should provide his readers with insight everytime he sits down and bangs on the keyboard. Right now, Tyler Dunne is eating his lunch and Vic reads like a wet-behind-the-ears rookie stringer way too often...

I think carucci is fine, and I like dunne too. It may be a failing of mine, but i don't really care about the internal pecking order of beat reporters at the Buffalo News. You said he was trying for click bait; i read a peice where he actually interviewed all of the d-linemen except for mario.

No, the offense didn't play well.

Are you arguing that the bills stopped the giants in the first half?

Dear lord, they've gotten plenty of pressure this year.

I guess you equate pressure with sacks, like ol' Vic there.

I do look inside the numbers, and they are not a bad defense. But they aren't nearly as good as last season so far. The problem is that they are loaded with talent, and they really aren't getting the pressure they got last year.

Carucci is pointing out the manifestly obvious -- and something all of the d-linemen actually agree with!! They can step it up, and they need to. But it appears that guys like williams, dareus, and williams feel like they're being misused. Schwartz is a smart guy and a good dc too. Why is this controversial?

I don't think it's controversial at all. I think Carucci is missing some key indicators when he makes it all about less sacks as the tell all proof that there is a disconnect with the scheme. The four game comparisons between last year and this year bear that out.

I don't need any other proof that we are not a dominant defense than Bradham's missed tackle. Great defenses do not let that happen immediately after your struggling offense finally scores and has momentum.

The stats just aren't disparate enough from last year to make the case on its own.

GO BILLS!!!

The pass rush has been significantly muted.

And not just by the quick drops or just in the NE or NYG games.

Even when QB's are holding the ball they aren't getting to them as quickly as we've become accustomed for the past couple of seasons.

As you noted, the corner play has definitely been better and has covered up some for their uncharacteristic lack of push.

I've advocated spreading the DL out more to create wider OL splits and force blockers to defend our DL in space and make teams using the short passing game throw over or thru DL.

My guess is that Rex is not using that approach because it structurally weakens the run defense.

But that's why you PAID Marcel Dareus and Kyle Williams.

The strength of Rex Ryan's D early on in NY was it's ability to create both solid run defense and pass rush without requiring exceptional talent on the DL.

Now he has a once-in-a-career type 4 man front and he is using them the same way he would any other assembly of talent.

We've seen coaches not cater their schemes to the talent at hand before, this is no different.

Good take. This is my concern too. I hope they get past it soon.

Dear lord, they've gotten plenty of pressure this year.

I guess you equate pressure with sacks, like ol' Vic there.

No, i equate pressures with pressures. They aren't getting them. Some of this is a function of eli and brady, but it is in fact the case.

I don't think it's controversial at all. I think Carucci is missing some key indicators when he makes it all about less sacks as the tell all proof that there is a disconnect with the scheme. The four game comparisons between last year and this year bear that out.

I don't need any other proof that we are not a dominant defense than Bradham's missed tackle. Great defenses do not let that happen immediately after your struggling offense finally scores and has momentum.

The stats just aren't disparate enough from last year to make the case on its own.

GO BILLS!!!

I hope you're right. Not to harp on that one play, but 2 other guys missed tackles on that same play. It wasn't just bradham. That's certainly not a fault of the scheme though.

For a moment, let us forget Carucci's article. If you have watched the games, do you really get a warm fuzzy feeling from our defense in general ? They have looked great against the Dolphins and much of the second half of the Giants game. But that is inconsistent. I recall a very smooth transition from Pettine to Schwartz's defense even though the latter was different. We have a slightly better roster now (with Darby) but are left making excuses for a near-bottom pass D. A truly great D is supposed to give fits to even great QBs. Ryan has historically had success against Brady** but the defense looked inept and on their heels throughout the second game. This is NOT a hallmark of a supposed great defense no matter what point of the season we are at.

With the talent we have, we should have been giving nightmares to opposing Defenses. As always, we have looked tough to plkay but easy to beat.

No, i equate pressures with pressures. They aren't getting them. Some of this is a function of eli and brady, but it is in fact the case.

Bills being top ten in QB pressures this year sort of says that it isn't the case.

I hope you're right. Not to harp on that one play, but 2 other guys missed tackles on that same play. It wasn't just bradham. That's certainly not a fault of the scheme though.

a similar back breaking play occurred last year in Miami if I recall - not exactly the same but they had them in 3rd and long and just let Lamar Miller run for some long play that was inexcusable with all the missed tackles. You're right. It's not the scheme, it was poor execution both times.

Part of the reason the Pats OL is as effective as they need to be, regardless of who they line up, is that they play like a fist instead of 5 fingers.

Gotta' start spreading these OL out.

They don't care about your run D, Rex.

Bills being top ten in QB pressures this year sort of says that it isn't the case.

I'll go back to badol's post above; the d-line pressure has not been the same this season or in 2013. To reiterate, it's the players who are saying this!!

The bills are getting some pressure with blitzes, but less than last year despite bringing more men (Schwartz didn't blitz that much). Te corner play has been great, though, and has saved the day more than once. That's a good thing.

Part of the reason the Pats OL is as effective as they need to be, regardless of who they line up, is that they play like a fist instead of 5 fingers.

Gotta' start spreading these OL out.

They don't care about your run D, Rex.

That's certainly true with regard to belichick.