Carucci: Disconnect exists between DL and scheme

YoloinOhio

A few key points here:

- They actually did come up with a stop in the NE game...they held NE to a field goal to keep it a one-score game and give the offense the ball with over a minute remaining

- The defense did allow the Jennings play to happen, which we all know wasn't a scheme issue, since Bradham was in position to make a TFL. On the ensuing possession, Woods fumbled to give the Giants the ball in Buffalo's territory. We responded by taking the ball away inside our own 5 to give the offense the ball with nearly 4 minutes remaining and 3 timeouts. Were it not for Incognito's penalty, it would have been a 1-score game with 50 seconds left and 3 timeouts.

I think people are unjustly criticizing the D. Go back and look at each of the Giants' scoring drives and you'll see that, by far, penalties and missed tackles are the issue. It's not scheme...at all.

All the stops you mention still put the opponent's lead beyond 7 points. The sign of a top defense is to make a stop when it positively needs to make a stop. Few teams are struggling on offense like the Seahawks, but their elite defense is the only reason for their wins. I can't say the same about the Bills' D at this point.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they allowed 0 points, we could've had the chance to win the game.

We did have a chance to win the game. Drive down the field and score a TD, make the 2-point conversion, and go to overtime.

If the biggest criticism we have of this defense is that they didn't stop Tom Brady, then we're talking about no significant difference from the previous year, when they were a top-3 unit...and that flies right in the face of the assertion upon which this article is based.

All the stops you mention still put the opponent's lead beyond 7 points. The sign of a top defense is to make a stop when it positively needs to make a stop. Few teams are struggling on offense like the Seahawks, but their elite defense is the only reason for their wins. I can't say the same about the Bills' D at this point.

I agree that they aren't performing like an elite unit right now...I don't think they're as far off as most folks seem to believe.

Make one tackle on Jennings and this isn't even a discussion, because Brady is Brady...know what I mean?

except those two games where Seattle D wasn't elite enough to win. They have the same record. Edited by YoloinOhio

except those two games where Seattle D wasn't elite enough to win. They have the same record.

It is the case that the Seattle D has given up 3 points in the past 2 games (Detroit's D scored the lone TD for the Lions). And it's also the case that the Seahawks were missing one of the best defensive players in the league in games 1 and 2. They are 3rd in points allowed and second in yards allowed, and since Chancellor's return they've given 412 yards in 2 games.

My only concern with this version of our defense is that if the other team is going to employ a quick passing attack our DB/LBS should be up tight on the line jaming them (disrupt them).... if you have a d-line you think is the best in the game you have to trust they will get there.. it feels like they dont want to get burned so they play the DB/LBS off and give up the short pass.....Hence give the line no time to rush the passer.

It is the case that the Seattle D has given up 3 points in the past 2 games (Detroit's D scored the lone TD for the Lions). And it's also the case that the Seahawks were missing one of the best defensive players in the league in games 1 and 2. They are 3rd in points allowed and second in yards allowed, and since Chancellor's return they've given 412 yards in 2 games.

they were missing a starting safety in both losses. The Bills were also missing a starting safety in both losses. I wasn't referring to the defensive performance in Seattle's wins, I was referring to the defensive performance in their losses in response to the post.

Is it scheme? If so, Seattle shouldn't swing and miss without one safety.

Edited by YoloinOhio

We did have a chance to win the game. Drive down the field and score a TD, make the 2-point conversion, and go to overtime.

If the biggest criticism we have of this defense is that they didn't stop Tom Brady, then we're talking about no significant difference from the previous year, when they were a top-3 unit...and that flies right in the face of the assertion upon which this article is based.

I agree that they aren't performing like an elite unit right now...I don't think they're as far off as most folks seem to believe.

Make one tackle on Jennings and this isn't even a discussion, because Brady is Brady...know what I mean?

The article largely addresses the DL and how the dollars spent on that unit are not in line with the production from that unit.

they were missing a starting safety in both losses. The Bills were also missing a starting safety in both losses. I wasn't referring to Seattle's wins, I was referring to their losses in response to the post.

Aaron Williams is a decent player, but he is nowhere near as good as Chancellor. And Williams' backup, while not great, was better than the scrub subbing in for Chancellor.

Aaron Williams is a decent player, but he is nowhere near as good as Chancellor. And Williams' backup, while not great, was better than the scrub subbing in for Chancellor.

it doesn't matter. Their scheme is what the poster was referring to.

Chancellor's play at the end of the Lions game is the same one AW made against Jax to save a TD in 2013. He's capable of the same play despite not being as good of a player overall. It's the excuse of not having a guy that is used for another team but not the Bills.

Edited by YoloinOhio

But we should be significantly better. Darby is playing better than McK was last year. Preston is a year more experienced.

Question: With superior CB play and no drop off anywhere else, why is our defense a little worse/the same?

Answer: Because the billion dollar defensive line isn't playing like they were last season.

Are we asking too much from our defense for them to continue the 8 game or so streak of dominance from last season?

The article largely addresses the DL and how the dollars spent on that unit are not in line with the production from that unit.

That can tend to happen when teams are throwing the ball in less than 2 seconds.

Folks need to understand that NFL OCs are going to adapt to what this team does well: rush the passer. That's going to result in teams drilling their QBs to get the ball out as fast as humanly possible. As long as the back 7 plays tight and tackles well, the defense will be fine. The CBs have been very, very good. The LBs and safeties need to be more consistent.

But we should be significantly better. Darby is playing better than McK was last year. Preston is a year more experienced.

Question: With superior CB play and no drop off anywhere else, why is our defense a little worse/the same?

Answer: Because the billion dollar defensive line isn't playing like they were last season.

Are we asking too much from our defense for them to continue the 8 game or so streak of dominance from last season?

See my response above...teams adjust.

That can tend to happen when teams are throwing the ball in less than 2 seconds.

Folks need to understand that NFL OCs are going to adapt to what this team does well: rush the passer. That's going to result in teams drilling their QBs to get the ball out as fast as humanly possible. As long as the back 7 plays tight and tackles well, the defense will be fine. The CBs have been very, very good. The LBs and safeties need to be more consistent.

Can our NFL OC adapt to teams "rushing the passer?"

I'm sorry bandit, I respect your opinion, but I vehemently disagree. If the best (or second best) defensive coach in the NFL and the best defensive unit in the NFL can be figured out and rendered ineffective by 2 out of their 4 first opponents, it's not "fine." Something is wrong.

I'm sorry bandit, I respect your opinion, but I vehemently disagree. If the best (or second best) defensive coach in the NFL and the best defensive unit in the NFL can be figured out and rendered ineffective by 2 out of their 4 first opponents, it's not "fine." Something is wrong.

HE TOLD YOU WHAT WAS WRONG. The safeties and LBs are missing assignments and tackles. It will be fixed.

Sure, I think Roman can adapt. He's done some of it with moving pockets and combination routes. I think he's still feeling out his QB to see what else he can do.

As to what's wrong, the interior back 7 (safeties and LBs) need to improve upon communication, tackling, and recognition. Could be some scheme adaptation stuff, since Rex's scheme is indeed complicated, and it could be that Graham is still learning a new position and Williams has missed time.

We shall see.

HE TOLD YOU WHAT WAS WRONG. The safeties and LBs are missing assignments and tackles. It will be fixed.

I think it will, over time, be fixed. I'd like it to be sooner rather than later.

Just once, I'd like to see Bills players stop saying we need to simplify the defense and or offense. Other teams play complex schemes. Look at New England and all of the disguised fronts they present. Nobody ever complains on their team. Belichek would dump them in a river. This incesant whining is getting so freaking old.