Carucci: Disconnect exists between DL and scheme

YoloinOhio

You're confusing me. You say the scheme is bad but you point to two positives of the scheme. Which is it?

"Rex'sOffense" was saying its the players that need to be changed, and all I did was point out that even being used in pass coverage they still graded well.

So, its not the players fault that the 300lb D linemen are being asked to be put in pass coverage instead of rushing the passer. You have a 300lb DT Kyle Williams that excels in a six yard area in getting to the QB, and instead of having him do what he does best in rushing the passer. You ask him to drop straight back to cover a RB, TE, or a WR. He can do that job to a degree, but which would you rather see him do?

Edited by Nihilarian

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Rex'sOffense" was saying its the players that need to be changed, and all I did was point out that even being used in pass coverage they still graded well.

So, its not the players fault that the 300lb D linemen are being asked to be put in pass coverage instead of rushing the passer. You have a 300lb DT Kyle Williams that excels in a six yard area in getting to the QB, and instead of having him do what he does best in rushing the passer. You ask him to drop straight back to cover a RB, TE, or a WR. He can do that job to a degree, but which would you rather see him do?

With all due respect, I think you are exaggerating a bit. This not the first season Kyle Williams has dropped into coverage on zone blitzes. He has been doing that since his rookie year. Secondly, he isn't being asked to cover backs, TEs, or WRs; he is being asked to cover a short zone. World of difference, that.

Perhaps the argument could be made as to the frequency with which he is being asked to cover in zone blitzes this year? But I suspect it isn't as much as we think.

GO BILLS!!!

Wide 9!

everyone was bemoaning the wide 9 last year (which wasn't used all the time last year) but would help our ends get there. Our OLBs should be wide nine position.

Also from the article the players said we are running a 34 to which we should not have spent a billion dollars on the Dline, but the LBs, in a 34 all you need is a dominant NT and two solid ends and you're golden.

everyone was bemoaning the wide 9 last year (which wasn't used all the time last year) but would help our ends get there. Our OLBs should be wide nine position.

Also from the article the players said we are running a 34 to which we should not have spent a billion dollars on the Dline, but the LBs, in a 34 all you need is a dominant NT and two solid ends and you're golden.

Hughes and Mario are LBs in a 34 alignment. So money well spent on LBs there. Dareus is the NT.

Maybe he's planning for a future without Kyle and Mario

With all due respect, I think you are exaggerating a bit. This not the first season Kyle Williams has dropped into coverage on zone blitzes. He has been doing that since his rookie year. Secondly, he isn't being asked to cover backs, TEs, or WRs; he is being asked to cover a short zone. World of difference, that.

Perhaps the argument could be made as to the frequency with which he is being asked to cover in zone blitzes this year? But I suspect it isn't as much as we think.

GO BILLS!!!

It's been like 9 times all year

Rex is going to need to rework the defense over time. It'll get better this year but not that much better. Ultimately we'll send Kyle Williams packing after this year, draft a bunch of CBs and LBs...and end up the chaos Rex D everyone knows and loves. But right now, and for the rest of this year, we'll be above average but not top like we wanted.

It's one of the main reasons we may not make the playoffs. We're too crazy on D.

But see, to your point and JTSP previously expressed point (Sorry J for not finding and quoting you) - this is EXACTLY what bothers me. We had a top-4 elite D last year, and Rex came in speaking to concerns that it wasn't "his type" of players by saying a lot of stuff about how he would fit his scheme to the players and he's never had such talent etc etc etc.

If I understand you correctly, what you're saying is Rex needs to rebuild the D, move on from a pro-bowl DT and draft a bunch of replacement players for CBs and LBs - all of whom played elite D last year.

The point is, if you're correct, this totally contradicts everything Rex said when hired and in preseason about the D and how he would manage it.

I really don't want to hear about how we need to rebuild the D to make the playoffs. We have the talent now. Rex was handed the keys to a top-4 D and good players were added. If he can't figure out how to drive it, that's really on him.

Edited by Hopeful

But see, to your point and JTSP previously expressed point (Sorry J for not finding and quoting you) - this is EXACTLY what bothers me. We had a top-4 elite D last year, ...

Not after four games we didn't; not even close.

Give it some time. It's not nearly as bad schematically as some are painting.

Execution wise, like Bradham missing routine tackles that breaks the game open for the opponent, we've been inconsistent. We also need to get A Williams back at safety as he paired with Graham brings another dimension and gives Ryan the closing ability he needs from that position.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe he's planning for a future without Kyle and Mario

Effective coaches make effective use of the players they have. Any player in the NFL may be injured at any time or decide to retire in the off season; the time to plan for a future without a player is during the off-season, when you might cut or trade them and replace them through FA, trade, or draft. It would be nuts to "plan for a future without" two probowl players who are healthy and on the roster this season.

Edited by Hopeful

Not after four games we didn't; not even close.

Give it some time. It's not nearly as bad schematically as some are painting.

Execution wise, like Bradham missing routine tackles that breaks the game open for the opponent, we've been inconsistent. We also need to get A Williams back at safety as he paired with Graham brings another dimension and gives Ryan the closing ability he needs from that position.

GO BILLS!!!

OK, so this is a different viewpoint: the D and especially the DL need more time to learn the scheme and adjust.

I hope you're right.

I'm not sure about last season. At this point last season, we had given up <19 PPG. It is a point that last season our first 4 games did not include Brady and Eli Manning, but did include Rivers who is pretty well thought of in QB circles.

GO BILLS!!!

In my view its sort of a ridiculous miss-match for that huge linemen in Kyle Williams to be asked to cover a receiver crossing that zone, as those men are being to cover an area larger then they normally would as a pass rusher. Then being asked to possibly chase around a receiver across the field could easily wear them out during a game. With the team dropping a linemen into coverage at times then they only rushed with three!

It doesn't matter how many times they were asked to drop into pass coverage (and I'm far to lazy to go back and look) since that is not what those players are being paid the big bucks to do. This also isn't the sole reason as to why the defense isn't playing as well as it could.

Like I asked previously, what would you rather see Kyle Williams, Jerry Hughes do in a game? I know I'd rather see Ryan do what he does best, and that is bring one more rusher then the offense has blocking while finding a way to get to the QB to ruin his day. That, and fixing the penalties!! They gave the Giants 7 first downs :doh: