Carucci: Disconnect exists between DL and scheme

YoloinOhio

Wow, did anyone have the over/under at 4 games for that?

Or.....he is saying that it shouldn't be that easy to do with a Pro Bowl studded D-line and a legendary defensive coaching mind......just maybe

Just how easy has it been? One QB out of four was highly effective. Another got the ball out quickly but for minimal yardage. Two were below par. It may be easy to copy NE and BBs plan, it's quite another to execute it and be productive

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or maybe you just don't like that he's not a homer. The numbers don't lie. The bills are giving up a lot of yards with a unit that is more talented this year than last (Darby is an upgrade).

Trust me, I watched the game. Big plays were taken away from the colts on holding calls and offensive PI calls that changed the game in the first half. The colts moved the ball. That's not a huge criticism because they do have a good offense when the squad is healthy.

they were holding the whole game and only certain times was it called. That's because they had to hold to keep Luck alive. The calls were legit due to the DL. The calls were not "lucky." The big plays took place because of the holding. Edited by YoloinOhio

they were holding the whole game and only certain times was it called. That's because they had to hold to keep Luck alive. The calls were legit due to the DL.

I don't think the d is terrible. I also think that the run d is better than passable. The corner play has been great. But overall, the front seven has not played well in the passing game. Arguing otherwise strikes me as the equivalent of whistling past the graveyard. I hope they pick it up.

the all-22 showed Hughes being held all day.

Complaining about non-calls is the refuge of a losing argument. :)

I don't think the d is terrible. I also think that the run d is better than passable. The corner play has been great. But overall, the front seven has not played well in the passing game. Arguing otherwise strikes me as the equivalent of whistling past the graveyard. I hope they pick it up.

Complaining about non-calls is the refuge of a losing argument. :)

i didn't complain

Or maybe you just don't like that he's not a homer. The numbers don't lie. The bills are giving up a lot of yards with a unit that is more talented this year than last (Darby is an upgrade).

Trust me, I watched the game. Big plays were taken away from the colts on holding calls and offensive PI calls that changed the game in the first half. The colts moved the ball. That's not a huge criticism because they do have a good offense when the squad is healthy.

A lot more yards? Really. A whopping 28 more on the ground and 126 in the air, which is attributable to the sheer number of attempts and the Brady outlier. The key stats are the yards per play given up, which are actually better this year, even with the Brady outlier. Using gross stats simply does not support the idea that the defense is worse.

GO BILLS!!!

There is only a drop off on the stat sheet. The DL was all over Luck in week 1. So BB decided to negate the DL s rush prowess with extremely quick throws. ( under 2 seconds according to pff. ) the D also did not blitz Brady very often. It's a copycat league, so every coach from here on out will try to emulate the master. However, these teams do not have Brady, nor the NE personnel at WR @ TE. Miami got walloped. NYG Manning got the ball out quickly ( faster than Brady per PFF) but their passing game was essentially neutered. If the Bills Offense did anything at all in this game it is likey a two score Bills win. But for some reason everyone is decrying the lack of sacks by the D. You just cannot get there in 2 seconds or less. But that is a major concession on Offense by these teams. The real problem is on the Bills O, where the QBs lack of experience is being exposed via injuries to skill position players. TT was not good enough to carry the team on his back and get a W. It will be up to G -Ro to identify what TT can do well with the players that are healthy. That appears to be a great challenge going forward. The focus should be on winning games and not piling up sacks in losses.

I agree. It's fun to focus on the multi-million dollar DL as the shiny object. Articles about not playing complimentary football don't generate as many clicks.

I'd look in the mirror before calling anyone a homer. <_< And I'd disagree that 134 more yards over four games is 'a lot.'

Vic's job is to cut through the 'drunk on a barstool' analysis that we get from Sully and so many TSW'ers. Since coming back to the Snooze he writes more like the drink is in his hand than his readership. Very simplistic, no sense of context and downright lazy, IMO

I guess he's just given up and cashing the checks now like so many of the other old guys on the Sports Desk. Oh well, it's probably a winning strategy for a guy his age...

Edited by Lurker

Just how easy has it been? One QB out of four was highly effective. Another got the ball out quickly but for minimal yardage. Two were below par. It may be easy to copy NE and BBs plan, it's quite another to execute it and be productive

I'm not disagreeing with that. I was paraphrasing Carrucci's position.

A lot more yards? Really. A whopping 28 more on the ground and 126 in the air, which is attributable to the sheer number of attempts and the Brady outlier. The key stats are the yards per play given up, which are actually better this year, even with the Brady outlier. Using gross stats simply does not support the idea that the defense is worse.

GO BILLS!!!

Brady isn't an outlier. That was a home game and an important one. If there is one game they had to play better, that was it. The scheme was badly exposed in that game by the bills' arch opponent. Let's not wish away the most important game of the season as an "outlier" ...

So my thought is -and maybe I'm overly optimistic but what the hell - Rex may have his 2 "shut down" ( no it doesn't mean they never give up a TD or a completion) corners that make his world go round. IMO the weakness thus far had been the safeties/communication as the two starters have yet to play a whole game together. Barring further injury it appears they will do just that this weekend. So IMO things are about to get very real against a rookie who holds onto the ball longer than the majority of the QBs in the league.

If things don't look Rexy over the next few weeks I will be surprised.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'd look in the mirror before calling anyone a homer. <_< And I'd disagree that 134 more yards over four games is 'a lot.'

Vic's job is to cut through the 'drunk on a barstool' analysis that we get from Sully and so many TSW'ers. Since coming back to the Snooze he writes more like the drink is in his hand than his readership. Very simplistic, no sense of context and downright lazy, IMO

I guess he's just given up and cashing the checks now like so many of the other old guys on the Sports Desk...

t's probably a winning strategy for meeti

Pleas explain "look in the mirror." I have no idea what you mean and I'd appreciate a substantive explanation.

Brady isn't an outlier. That was a home game and an important one. If there is one game they had to play better, that was it. The scheme was badly exposed in that game by the bills' arch opponent. Let's not wish away the most important game of the season as an "outlier" ...

Brady ate up Schwartz defense.

GO BILLS!!!

At a certain point, yards allowed, points allowed, and sacks made matter. They're not a bad D but they're a quarter of the way through the season and have played 3 out of their 8 home games. It's time for an accounting. They may get better. They certainly need to.

Brady ate up Schwartz defense.

He did. I don't deny that. But it wasn't an outlier last year either. It's part of the freaking season.

OK, forget the outlier if you must. Even WITH Brady's record performance against us and including the fact a QB did not come close to doing that in the first for games last year, are we not better in terms of yards per play, completion percentage, and QB rating against?

Using gross yards given up is just getting stats to say what you want. The MAIN reason why gross yards are up is because of the sheer amount of additional passes attempted against us.

I had you pegged as someone who could look inside the numbers.

GO BILLS!!!