A Few Thoughts on Steelers @ Pats***

The Steelers defense was exposed. IT will take time for them to get back to where they were under Dick LeBeau.

This was my first thought. Their defense looked horrible in pre-season, but I figured they would get better during regular season. Nope! They sucked bad.

Did anyone on the coaching staff of Pittsburgh even consider defending Gronkowski? They let him run free and uncovered throughout the game. I was yelling at the TV, "They're going to throw it to Gronk, cover him!"

The defensive coordinator for Pitt should be fired immediately. I hope the Bills learned something. Jeez!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my first thought. Their defense looked horrible in pre-season, but I figured they would get better during regular season. Nope! They sucked bad.

Did anyone on the coaching staff of Pittsburgh even consider defending Gronkowski? They let him run free and uncovered throughout the game. I was yelling at the TV, "They're going to throw it to Gronk, cover him!"

The defensive coordinator for Pitt should be fired immediately. I hope the Bills learned something. Jeez!

I said as much in the first page.

EJ ripped their starters for 2 TD's in 6 plays!!! 1st drive had the 40+ FredEx run and the 2nd was the bomb to Clay (eh hem where some x player said the Steeler defender fell down)

Because of it Brady is "looking in great form"

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I said as much in the first page.

EJ ripped their starters for 2 TD's in 6 plays!!! 1st drive had the 40+ FredEx run and the 2nd was the bomb to Clay (eh hem where some x player said the Steeler defender fell down)

Because of it Brady is "looking in great form"

when I saw Gronk running free I thought "I haven't seen a TE that wide open since... Charles Clay 2 weeks ago."

W/o Big Ben this is a 5 win team at most.

Even with Big Ben and LeVeon and Antonio this could be a 5 or 6 win team. Maybe it is because we all saw them in pre-season too but this D looks really bad.

I think the Steelers are going to struggle even more than I had possibly imagined.

I've never understood why teams don't give the Patriots the "Patriots Way" right back at them.

because most teams believe you will be punished if you cheat. Give the pats******* credit, they realized there are limits the NFL can punish you even if you brazenly cheat and they have proof. They will "protect" the shield because in the end extreme punishments would open pandora's box. Say you vacated victories...now no one would really know who "won" when the game ended.

Keep in mind that LeBeau is no longer with the Steelers, and this is their first year transitioning to a Cover-2. There's going to be a lot of growing pains. Another reason why that Steelers preseason game was fool's gold for those that think we have 3 starting caliber QB's on this roster.

I was wondering why Jerod Mayo was invisible last night, then I read today that he only played 11 snaps. Very interesting, especially for a player that was considered to be a vital component of their run defense this year with Wilfork gone.

The Steelers defense is bad as all Bills fans now know. Its difficult to believe that the Steelers make the playoffs this year even when they get Bryant, and Bell back.

Its tough to cover Edelman (another Wes Welker), and Gronk! As Bill Belicheat so aptly put it " nobody plays cover two defense against us because they can't cover Gronk"!

It looked to me like the refs in the game were allowing those three patriots rookie O linemen to hold all game long. I dunno perhaps to ensure that the season opening game looked good for all the NFL fans out there.

It looked like Big Ben was getting frustrated in the 4th quarter, and trying to press the pass to much. They should have kept to their run game, and let the QB just manage it.

What we learned: The Patriots can be run on. If the Steelers with a banged up O line with their best player out, and with a 32 year old RB can get 27 carries for 127 yards then the Bills should dominate with their run game. We also learned that the Patriots secondary won't be anywhere near as good as they were least season with Revis.

That Patriot O line is very weak with three rookies starting and if the Bills pass coverage can hold for 2 seconds then it should give that Bills front four time to get to Brady.

Next, I don't see the Pats new RB Dion Lewis or any Patriots RB being a big threat to the Bills defense which should make them one dimensional. What sucks is we don't know which Darby will show up. The one who got two INT' s or the roasted Mr Darby who was targeted and burned on a regular basis in other games. If he is having an off day Brady will exploit it.

Here is hoping that Rex & Roman set up a game plan to destroy Brady & Belicheat for the season.

Edited by Nihilarian

The Steelers defense is bad as all Bills fans now know. Its difficult to believe that the Steelers make the playoffs this year even when they get Bryant, and Bell back.

Its tough to cover Edelman (another Wes Welker), and Gronk! As Bill Belicheat so aptly put it " nobody plays cover two defense against us because they can't cover Gronk"!

It looked to me like the refs in the game were allowing those three patriots rookie O linemen to hold all game long. I dunno perhaps to ensure that the season opening game looked good for all the NFL fans out there.

It looked like Big Ben was getting frustrated in the 4th quarter, and trying to press the pass to much. They should have kept to their run game, and let the QB just manage it.

What we learned: The Patriots can be run on. If the Steelers with a banged up O line with their best player out, and with a 32 year old RB can get 27 carries for 127 yards then the Bills should dominate with their run game. We also learned that the Patriots secondary won't be anywhere near as good as they were least season with Revis.

That Patriot O line is very weak with three rookies starting and if the Bills pass coverage can hold for 2 seconds then it should give that Bills front four time to get to Brady.

Next, I don't see the Pats new RB Dion Lewis or any Patriots RB being a big threat to the Bills defense which should make them one dimensional. What sucks is we don't know which Darby will show up. The one who got two INT' s or the roasted Mr Darby who was targeted and burned on a regular basis in other games. If he is having an off day Brady will exploit it.

Here is hoping that Rex & Roman set up a game plan to destroy Brady & Belicheat for the season.

Is Blount back next week? How long is he banned for?

Besides quick slants to gronk, it seemed like the Pats go-to play was a curl route along the side lines. They absolutely abused the one corner all night. I remember a string of these plays in the first quarter (all to Edelman I believe) so identical I thought I was watching a replay.

The Pats will find a weakness and just keep exploiting it. They don't suddenly decide to try something new to keep the defense guessing.

If it works, don't fix it.

Keep it simple, stupid.

"43's the Mike, 43's the Mike"

Yea two poor defences. My takes thinking ahead to next week were:

1. If the Patriots defense gives up the edge in the run game to McCoy as readily as it did to D'Angelo Williams he will go for 200 yards.

2. The Patriots D is back to what it was in the late 00s when Belichick didn't have elite talent on the backend - it is bend don't break defense that stiffens in the red zone. I'd really like to see the Bills keep TT's running under wraps between the 20s and then let him loose in the rezone because a couple of times in goalline situations last night I thought a QB booting out on a keeper would have waltzed in.

3. We have to find a way to stop Gronk. Could we borrow a page for the Belichick playbook when he covered Jimmy Graham with Talib? Maybe bring Gilmore inside and let him match up 1v1 on Gronk? I feel he is wasted covering Edelman or Dobson - Gronk is the big play guy who can beat us. Let Darby run with Edelman and tackle him on short gaining crossers.

4. We have to get to Brady. The Pittsburgh defensive front was bad. The Patriots line is inexperienced. We should be getting pressure with 4 next week with the very occasional blitz thrown in. Mix up the coverages, mix up the looks but do not keep sending 5 guys because he will find the open man if we do.

5. Chandler is going to be a big part of their redzone package. He was hardly in other than down in the redzone last night... covering him and Gronk down there is a challenge for us and the rest of the league.

Gunner, I always seem to agree with your posts bud. That is exactly what I was thinking in terms of Gilmore, although I can see Graham hanging with him as well. It's funny two of my three workout buddies were chiming about their fantasy leagues. I told him Gronk will be the threat between the 20's and Chandler will be the man in the red zone. He basically has a yac of 6'7 as he can only fall forward.

I was salivating looking at the Pats offensive line, and their defense. The Steelers defense looks horrible. I believe when they get their talent back, they will improve, but cannot wait to see what our defense can do to the Pats. I just like everyone else am very worried about Darby.

“The rule is you can’t mimic like an offensive cadence,” Mayo said. “That’s the rule. I just said, ‘Move.’ All I said was ‘Move,’ and they moved. … If I were to have got up there and said, ‘Blue 42,’ now that’s illegal.”

Mayo admits to yelling "Move."

https://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots_nfl/new_england_patriots/2015/09/patriots_notebook_defensive_line_tactic_legal

See that right there is why they are the lowest of the low and why I don't understand anyone defending them. Great example.

This is only possible if they spend time looking at the rules for loopholes, exceptions, and gray areas. They go looking for ways they can bend the rules and if they break too it's just collateral damage. They are adhering to the letter of the rule book in order to violate the spirit.

kj

So just how exactly does that comport with the NFL Rule #12, Section 3, Line J:

"Using acts or words by the defensive team that are designed to disconcert an offensive team at the snap. An official must blow his whistle immediately to stop play." "Penalty: If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down."

So they have someone in the stands relaying hot shots of local radio feeds on the opposing team's reception frequency and it's nothing. They complain to the officials, NFL people approach the headsets... problem suddenly and mysteriously goes away. NFL officials retreat... the interference resumes... multiple times. Yes, I see nothing out of the ordinary in that . Nothing at all.

All I can say is other teams should learn how to do this to them every chance they get. If The League isn't going to do anything about it - then turnabout is fair play.

So just how exactly does that comport with the NFL Rule #12, Section 3, Line J:

"Using acts or words by the defensive team that are designed to disconcert an offensive team at the snap. An official must blow his whistle immediately to stop play." "Penalty: If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down."

I don't think it does. The coaches told the team it was legal and they proceeded full-bore thinking it was.

I have often wondered about those goal-line plays. There is almost no penalty on the defense if the call goes against them (e.g. move the ball 9 inches closer to the goal line), whereas a call against the offense changes a first and 1/goal to 1st and 6.

I am glad to see the rule says an automatic first down in this case. That is something....

I don't think it does. The coaches told the team it was legal and they proceeded full-bore thinking it was.

I have often wondered about those goal-line plays. There is almost no penalty on the defense if the call goes against them (e.g. move the ball 9 inches closer to the goal line), whereas a call against the offense changes a first and 1/goal to 1st and 6.

I am glad to see the rule says an automatic first down in this case. That is something....

Right. Just because Mayo said it's not illegal doesn't mean it isn't illegal. He a mental midget that's piping back what he's been taught. I think that's telling. If The League had integrity they would look into this further. It's just another example of them breaking the rules and the officials being numb/dumb or willfully looking the other way at an infraction that takes place at a critical time of the game.

I'm never been on Goodell's case before, but I can see where he should lose his job because he's been a huge factor in allowing this cesspool of a franchise to pollute the sport.

The penalty on the defense in this case gives the offense a fresh set of downs though

The penalty on the defense in this case gives the offense a fresh set of downs though

But that is only if the yelling is called, not just that the defense caused them to jump. And if it was first down, there isn't a disincentive.

In the Pats/Steelers' case, it was third down, so the call would have made a big difference, and likely a 4 point difference in the resulting score.

But that is only if the yelling is called, not just that the defense caused them to jump. And if it was first down, there isn't a disincentive.

In the Pats/Steelers' case, it was third down, so the call would have made a big difference, and likely a 4 point difference in the resulting score.

Agreed. Given Mayo's admission that he shouted during the cadence, I don't understand why the Steelers don't file a grievance or whatever they need to do to cause the rules committee and the referees to look into this. I certainly hope Rex is looking into this and will be prepared to talk to the officials before the game.

I don't see why Mayo gets to decide what does or does not mimic a cadence. Just my opinion but if NE jumped on a pre-arranged part of the cadence (6 word or something) I think that's legal if they don't encroach. If they actually shout, it's just too fine hair splitting what constitutes mimicing a cadence or not.

Agreed. Given Mayo's admission that he shouted during the cadence, I don't understand why the Steelers don't file a grievance or whatever they need to do to cause the rules committee and the referees to look into this. I certainly hope Rex is looking into this and will be prepared to talk to the officials before the game.

I don't see why Mayo gets to decide what does or does not mimic a cadence. Just my opinion but if NE jumped on a pre-arranged part of the cadence (6 word or something) I think that's legal if they don't encroach. If they actually shout, it's just too fine hair splitting what constitutes mimicing a cadence or not.

^

This.

I mean, it's just like the OTL report said, they find loopholes and when you close the loopholes they find new ones. It's a forever game of whack-a-mole with them.

In the 4th quarter the DE had his helmet fly off when an OL barely touched it, and it wiped away a big Antonio Brown catch inside the 20. The next play the same DE gets a sack and his helmet flies off again. How does your helmet fly off two plays in a row unless you're purposely loosening it in the 4th quarter to draw penalties?

It's endless, it's shady, and they are the guy at the YMCA that nobody likes. The liar and thief that you can't catch cleanly, and when you do they talk their way out of it. Everyone knows that guy and eventually you just stop playing with him.

Two options to fix it:

1. Harsh and severe punishments for even minor rule violations to the Patriots. Three strikes rule. Minimal evidence required.

2. Start playing shady ourselves. - I really hope we don't and it's a game we'll always lose to them. Don't play scumbag games with scumbags because they've been playing them their whole life, and unlike you, they don't feel bad afterwards and will go places you may not.

Right. Just because Mayo said it's not illegal doesn't mean it isn't illegal. He a mental midget that's piping back what he's been taught. I think that's telling. If The League had integrity they would look into this further. It's just another example of them breaking the rules and the officials being numb/dumb or willfully looking the other way at an infraction that takes place at a critical time of the game.

I'm never been on Goodell's case before, but I can see where he should lose his job because he's been a huge factor in allowing this cesspool of a franchise to pollute the sport.

Sadly the owner of the cesspool is the one who helped Goodell get his job in the first place and is on the three-owner board who decides on how much he gets paid.