Jordy Nelson - Another ACL victim?

FireChan

This has to end. Rodgers and Nelson do not need to play in the preseason. They are superstars. And now the game won't be as good without Nelson. NFLPA needs to opt of out the contract. Goodell has to go. Half of preseason has to go. Training camp needs to be shorter. No corporation risks their best talent like this.

This has to end. Rodgers and Nelson do not need to play in the preseason. They are superstars. And now the game won't be as good without Nelson. NFLPA needs to opt of out the contract. Goodell has to go. Half of preseason has to go. Training camp needs to be shorter. No corporation risks their best talent like this.

That's on the coach, not the Commissioner.

I agree, but exactly what can be done??

Part of it has to do with the players taking tons of reps both in training camps and in the offseason on their own. I mean think about it. They are taking probably 20,000 reps a year, if not more...year after year after year...Throughout his life, Nelson has probably done the same thing he did today, 250,000 times, and only had one time where the part in the body broke down due to overuse. That's a pretty damn good ratio...

These are simply overuse injuries. No way around it. They lift weights to make the tendons and joints stronger, which likely prevented it from happening several years ago with the number of reps they are taking, but at some point, its just going to give. The players simply need more rest in the offseason, they are stressing the same body parts over and over again and they eventually are going to wear out.

Edited by matter2003

This one was completely non-contact, don't really think it's preseasons fault this time. He just caught the ball, went to turn up field, and went down.

It was non-contact, it could of happened the first week of practice for the regular season.

This one was completely non-contact, don't really think it's preseasons fault this time. He just caught the ball, went to turn up field, and went down.

It was non-contact, it could of happened the first week of practice for the regular season.

Yup, see the above post...these are simply overuse injuries. These are becoming epidemic because these guys are playing year round, training year round and giving their body very little time to recover. This is why these injuries rarely happened in the 70s and 80s...the players had all offseason off and were not running around practicing routes with their QBs every day for weeks on end.

Yeah, you get much better athletes these days, but the overuse results in many more serious injuries like these.

I'm kind of confused. I'm not a doctor and have never torn a ligament so excuse my ignorance but how does someone tear an ACL/MCL fall down on the field the get up and limp/run off the field?

I'm kind of equating a ligament tear to a broken leg in my mind so if anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it.

I'm so sorry to hear of this injury. He is so talented, seems to be a good citizen, and personally I love watching the Packers. They stuck it to the Cheatriots last year, and if not mismanaged in the Seahawks game, would have been so fun seeing Rodgers go against Brady. That would have been a better SB.

Let's thank our lucky stars we've had no serious injuries to starters (knock on wood). I know about Wynn, but it wasn't Dareus, or Mario.

This year we need a healthy team. I could care less if everyone with small injuries like Dixon, McCoy, FJ (I know he's back), etc. are keeping them out of pre-season games, but they don't need more useless games. Let's shut any of these guys down until Indy.

I'm kind of confused. I'm not a doctor and have never torn a ligament so excuse my ignorance but how does someone tear an ACL/MCL fall down on the field the get up and limp/run off the field?

I'm kind of equating a ligament tear to a broken leg in my mind so if anyone can enlighten me I would appreciate it.

It is nothing like a leg break. Sometimes they are immediately very painful but often they are not. I remember when I was coaching semi pro soccer one of my players did his right infront of the bench just turning and his studs kind of sticking in the turf and his knee not following his body.... I heard a "popping" sound and that was it really. He went down said he felt a sharp pain but then 20 seconds later after the initial pain he wanted to go back into the game. We held him out because I knew what he had done and he was furious. Woke up with a lot of soreness the next day and when he went for his MRI they confirmed it was a ruptured MCL.

It holds the joint together, it's not completely load bearing like a bone.

It is nothing like a leg break. Sometimes they are immediately very painful but often they are not. I remember when I was coaching semi pro soccer one of my players did his right infront of the bench just turning and his studs kind of sticking in the turf and his knee not following his body.... I heard a "popping" sound and that was it really. He went down said he felt a sharp pain but then 20 seconds later after the initial pain he wanted to go back into the game. We held him out because I knew what he had done and he was furious. Woke up with a lot of soreness the next day and when he went for his MRI they confirmed it was a ruptured MCL.

It holds the joint together, it's not completely load bearing like a bone.

Thanks for the clarification. I've know people that have torn them and were immediately down and out which is why I was curious. Might be the fact that these guys are so in shape that it might hurt but doesn't hit them the same way as the average joe, I don't know.

Basically it affects the stability of the knee and he will find the knee will randomly buckle simply while walking. Not safe to play on at all.

All the Bears fans I know are bummed, they are wishing him a fast recovery. Godspeed Jordy!

Basically it affects the stability of the knee and he will find the knee will randomly buckle simply while walking. Not safe to play on at all.

Useless you are Jay Cutler, then you can ride a bike and climb stairs ONLY.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I may be a bit contrarian to the rest of you here. Pre-season is important for determining who should be on the roster. Every team sport has at least a month of training and a couple weeks worth of games. The problem is that with the NFL playing such a brutal game injuries are a guarantee regardless of length of preseason. Due to the brutality of the game, the NFL should drop preseason to 2 or 3 games, and allow roster size to be greater. On the other side of the coin, when training camps were more brutal with the 2 a days and contact practices, it seemed like the athletes were in better condition to deal with the day to day abuse. So the NFLPA may be wise in their negotiations to relax their practice demands a little in the preseason. Even boxers train by getting whacked in the head from time to time.

The biggest problem with preseason is that the owners typically charge full price for an exhibition which is horsecrap.

Bleacher had a decent article on it a few years back.

It's bleacher, so you'll have to copy and paste the link: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1729646-a-closer-look-at-the-acl-as-tears-continue-to-run-rampant-in-the-nfl