Roman Playbook - Matt Cassel

Virgil

I keep seeing that Roman wanted the trade for Cassel and that's who he wants to start. My question is, why?

Isn't Roman a pistol, read-option type play caller? To me, Cassel would be the worst fit. I have nothing against Cassel, let the best man win.

Just curious

That doesn't shock me, I know harbaugh was kind of seen as the qb whisperer in SF, but I think that we will be ok no matter who ends up at qb.

When roman got to SF, they had Alex smith who at that point in his career was a huge disappointment, only to start playing well above average in Roman's scheme. Then smith gets hurt and kaepernick took over and played well too. Two very different playing styles, yet roman adapted and both had success.

If he can have similar results with any of our guys, we will be playing football in January.

That doesn't shock me, I know harbaugh was kind of seen as the qb whisperer in SF, but I think that we will be ok no matter who ends up at qb.

When roman got to SF, they had Alex smith who at that point in his career was a huge disappointment, only to start playing well above average in Roman's scheme. Then smith gets hurt and kaepernick took over and played well too. Two very different playing styles, yet roman adapted and both had success.

If he can have similar results with any of our guys, we will be playing football in January.

I absolutely guarantee we will play football in January, and would be willing to bet anyone any amount of money on it.

Edited by DrDareustein

I keep seeing that Roman wanted the trade for Cassel and that's who he wants to start. My question is, why?

Isn't Roman a pistol, read-option type play caller? To me, Cassel would be the worst fit. I have nothing against Cassel, let the best man win.

Just curious

Just curious...where the hell did you see that?

I hAve seen nothing of the sort declaring Roman wanted Cassel.

Roman is a whatever QB he has under center coach. Don't know who these fools are that try to pin him to one type of player... He probably wouldn't have a job still if he could only coach one type of QB or had only one type of game plan.

I think it is a fair question.....

Both of the qbs that Roman has had success with were mobile qbs

Just curious...where the hell did you see that?

I hAve seen nothing of the sort declaring Roman wanted Cassel.

An inside source has apparently said so. It is being discussed in one of the other QB threads.

Alex Smith is considered mobile?

More mobile than Cassel, that's for sure.

Rex wanted him

I say let Roman pick his QB and run the offense the way he wants to. Then if it doesn't work out then it's his fault. But at least there's no excuses

That makes zero sense- It is the HC that picks the starting QB with input from the staff. Rex is accountable not Roman.

I'm not sure about this but wasn't the report that Roman, now, wanted Cassel to start after watching these guys versus Roman being the one who pushed for the trade for Cassel ?

Yeah, the report that Roman wanted Cassel now, not that he called for the trade. Could still be the case, though doubtful, but that wasn't part of the report.

That makes zero sense- It is the HC that picks the starting QB with input from the staff. Rex is accountable not Roman.

While this is true

It is also true that Rex has not hit on qbs in the past.......and would do well to listen to his high profile OC that he brought in

This is where I hope that Rex has learned from his last position.....he is a mastermind of defense......but needs to learn to depend on his OC for the offensive side of the ball

I'm not sure about this but wasn't the report that Roman, now, wanted Cassel to start after watching these guys versus Roman being the one who pushed for the trade for Cassel ?

Link please? I can't imagine anyone preferring Cassel at this point. He has not looked terribly impressive so far. He's, what, made a couple high percentage throws and limped through.

If you want high accuracy, Taylor was better week two, and did it with worse receivers, never mind the running ability.

Link please? I can't imagine anyone preferring Cassel at this point. He has not looked terribly impressive so far. He's, what, made a couple high percentage throws and limped through.

If you want high accuracy, Taylor was better week two, and did it with worse receivers, never mind the running ability.

I'm not sure I believe the report and it wasn't from me. I can imagine that Roman prefers Cassel. I don't know either way. I want Taylor.

It was on the Billsdaily Twitter feed about there being a split amonst the coaches and then about Rex wanting Taylor. Unless Roman wants EJ, process of elimination.

There's also a lot of speculation just based off of who is getting first reps and starting these games. They aren't rotating these guys like it's an open competition. It almost feels like they have their guy and keep changing their mind.

Cassel is the boring choice, but he might be the right one. I've liked how he's looked in the limited action he's seen. He's got a better arm than most folks around here are giving him credit for, but he's not a gunslinger. He is a very effective play action passer though, and with the weapons on the roster that could be a big time weapon. I at least understand the argument in giving Cassel the reins... but I still don't love it and have my doubts it's really being considered.

I think Cassel is the perfect #2, the vet presence that can come into the game cold and get a win. I'm expecting Taylor to start.

Cassel probably presents the lowest risk option for Roman, which is why he might be okay with him.

But I don't think he appreciates that if TT can pull off easy low-risk passes (which he did last game), TT has a ton more of game-breaking potential.

It just seems to me like Roman can open more up from his San Fran offense with a guy like Taylor under center

There is a sound argument to be made that the guy who makes the best pre-snap reads and post snap reads and gets the ball out quickly and accurately to Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Clay and McCoy so they can beat their one guy in the open field is by far the best guy to run Romans offense regardless of running.

If Cassel is significantly better at that he is the man. If Taylor is very close to him, only then is he the man. I'm not sure we know that yet. It looks to me that he can do it. But the idea that Cassel is not the guy to run Cassel's offense is not true. He wants the ball in his playmakers hands in mismatches. That's what all of his movement and formations and groupings are all about (with the addition of confusing defenses on run plays too)

It just seems to me like Roman can open more up from his San Fran offense with a guy like Taylor under center

His offense was pretty boring before Kap came around. Very creative and effective, but not flashy. They won games with great D and pounding the rock. That game where they beat New Orleans in a shootout was stunning in part because they never looked like that before. Then Kap came around with that big play ability and we saw the somewhat mixed results that came with it the last couple years.

His offense was pretty boring before Kap came around. Very creative and effective, but not flashy. They won games with great D and pounding the rock. That game where they beat New Orleans in a shootout was stunning in part because they never looked like that before. Then Kap came around with that big play ability and we saw the somewhat mixed results that came with it the last couple years.

Yep. One should know just by watching the Carolina game that Roman doesn't have a system that he likes for a QB but simply calls games to let the QB do what he does well. The calls were very different for all three guys. He talks about that all the time.

But he has to have a preference right?

Rex is right in that he has 3 different QBs on the team.......what style does Roman like best?

That is going to be a interesting answer when it becomes clear.

Yea because Rex has proven in the past that he knows a lot about picking a QB right?

Rex knows about as much about QB's as you or I do. He's a great defensive coach because his dad took him and his brother under his wing and showed him everything there was to know about the 46 defense. That hardly makes him qualified to do anything on the offensive side of the ball. Leave it to the experts on this one. Let Roman pick who he needs to run his offense and if it doesn't work then get rid of Roman and get a new offensive coordinator. Rex is going to be our head coach either way and we are going to have one heck of a defense, that's for sure

But he has to have a preference right?

Rex is right in that he has 3 different QBs on the team.......what style does Roman like best?

That is going to be a interesting answer when it becomes clear.

Yeah, it could be that Roman likes a QB like Smith/Cassel for his system over Kap/Taylor. I was just pointing out to those who link Roman to Kap need to remember he ran a very different offense with Smith under center.

Yea because Rex has proven in the past that he knows a lot about picking a QB right?

Rex knows about as much about QB's as you or I do. He's a great defensive coach because his dad took him and his brother under his wing and showed him everything there was to know about the 46 defense. That hardly makes him qualified to do anything on the offensive side of the ball. Leave it to the experts on this one. Let Roman pick who he needs to run his offense and if it doesn't work then get rid of Roman and get a new offensive coordinator. Rex is going to be our head coach either way and we are going to have one heck of a defense, that's for sure

It's impossible to be considered one of the best if not the very best defensive coach in the league without knowing a boatload about offense, too, and studying what works and what doesn't. It doesn't mean he can choose a QB better than Roman, I would think that he can't. But to say he knows as much about QBs as you or I is just an embarrassing thing for you to say. He didn't choose who his QBs were on the Jets. Tannenbaum and Village Idzik did.

C

Smith is mobile.....just want to point that out

Not as mobile as Kap or Taylor. Smith is mobile in the way that Aaron Rodgers is mobile. Certainly something you have to respect, but he's not going to outrun defenders or juke them out. And I was still speaking more to the type of offense Roman ran with him under center. He did not call nearly as many QB keepers/read-option plays.

I'm just saying that we have no way of knowing, presently and beyond doubt, whether he would rather have a QB like Kap or Smith, Taylor or Cassel. It could be fully true that Kap was Harbaugh's guy and Roman was forced to use him after his breakout game relieving Smith.

Edited by Big C

Not as mobile as Kap or Taylor. Smith is mobile in the way that Aaron Rodgers is mobile. Certainly something you have to respect, but he's not going to outrun defenders or juke them out. And I was still speaking more to the type of offense Roman ran with him under center. He did not call nearly as many QB keepers/read-option plays.

I think Rodgers, like Luck, is a very underrated runner for a QB. Deceptive speed, knows when to run, gains great chunks of yardage. IIRC he has the fourth most rushing yards for a QB in the last several years.

I think Rodgers, like Luck, is a very underrated runner for a QB. Deceptive speed, knows when to run, gains great chunks of yardage. IIRC he has the fourth most rushing yards for a QB in the last several years.

I agree. They are mobile QBs, but you never see them running read option or whatever. It's probably because their arm's are far more useful to the offense than their legs.

I agree. They are mobile QBs, but you never see them running read option or whatever. It's probably because their arm's are far more useful to the offense than their legs.

Right. They are not running QBs at all, they are pocket QBs who can run. Kap and Taylor are running QBs who you want to throw. To me, Wilson is the only guy who is both. He's a QB who is just as big a threat to run.

To me, Steve Young is the greatest QB of all time because he could do it all as a pocket QB and he was a great runner and could throw remarkably well on the run. I thought he was better in his prime than Montana in his prime. It's so hard to find a guy who can do both. It's best to have a guy like Rodgers or Luck who are great pocket QBs but can also run.