Concerns about Rex

vegas55

Without question, the worst moment of Rex Ryan's coaching career was when he had Sanchez playing into the 4th quarter of a meaningless preseason game where Sanchez incurred a serious injury. Even worse was Ryan's explanation - "we were trying to win the game". A Hall of Fame dumb move and statement. The concern is that I see hints of that in his coaching now. I mean, for all the injuries this team has had, why in the world, with 20+ seconds left in the first half last night, does he have Mario Williams and Dareus both lined up to defend/block the Cleveland field goal attempt. Likewise, with 20 seconds in half and ball at our own 15, why hand it off to a new RB instead of taking a knee.

For all the criticism of Marrone when it came to game strategy and complete disregard for analytics, don't expect Ryan to be better in that area. I believe Ryan is an upgrade, but I do have concerns. I know he will not embrace analytics in any way, shape or form. He never has.

It was the second preseason game... if he's still doing that in the 4th game, then I'll be concerned.

Yep- they are still evaluating at this point- even the vets. Next game is usually the one where the starters play the longest. The 4th game is all scrubs usually. If we see the vets out there, it would be a bit troubling.

The 1st team D was on the field longer than my panic-y fan comfort zone was ok with. However, at least he actually knew who was on the field, didn't publically blame an assistant coach for it, and indications are he may actually leave the top DL for critical drives in the regular season. So, we are making progress.

Let's not forget he's installing a new system. I too was wishing he had pulled them sooner, but we open up against Indy and NE. These guys need to be ready to go out the gate and have to get some significant game reps in with the new system, build chemistry with some of the young guys, etc. I expect them to play a half in the 3rd game then sit the 4th game.

But like everyone else, it was nerve racking to see them out there and preferred them get out of the game based on our bad luck with injuries thus far. I get it though...plus he may have had an agreement with Pettine before the game to play the main units for the first half, coaches do this all the time.

Edited by Alphadawg7

The Bills had a 9 minute drive to open the game. The D came up with two turnovers with short drives. The coaches will have a set number of plays or drives they want the first team in to see what they can do. Because of our offense, and because of how good the defense was early, that's the only reason you saw them late in the second quarter. If we would have gone three and out on offense or TT hadn't controlled the TOP, the defense would have only played the first quarter.

The Bills had a 9 minute drive to open the game. The D came up with two turnovers with short drives. The coaches will have a set number of plays or drives they want the first team in to see what they can do. Because of our offense, and because of how good the defense was early, that's the only reason you saw them late in the second quarter. If we would have gone three and out on offense or TT hadn't controlled the TOP, the defense would have only played the first quarter.

Fine, but what's the reason for Mario & Marcel out there at end of first half attempting to block/defend a meaningless field goal attempt. That was the point of my post. I am not sure I want either of those guys out there on field goal attempts during the regular season.

Let's not forget he's installing a new system. I too was wishing he had pulled them sooner, but we open up against Indy and NE. These guys need to be ready to go out the gate and have to get some significant game reps in with the new system, build chemistry with some of the young guys, etc. I expect them to play a half in the 3rd game then sit the 4th game.

But like everyone else, it was nerve racking to see them out there and preferred them get out of the game based on our bad luck with injuries thus far. I get it though...plus he may have had an agreement with Pettine before the game to play the main units for the first half, coaches do this all the time.

Yes, Mario even stated as much during his half time interview. He said they are still learning a new defensive system, so they need the reps.

Fine, but what's the reason for Mario & Marcel out there at end of first half attempting to block/defend a meaningless field goal attempt. That was the point of my post. I am not sure I want either of those guys out there on field goal attempts during the regular season.

Mario blocked a big one last year. He is out there.

It's also a meaningless game.

As for the run at the end of the 1st half, a penalty put the drive start at the 10 with 22 secs left. Kneel downs would encourage Cleveland to call TO's for a possible punt return from a deep end zone kick. Any thought of that disappeared with the handoff into the line.

JMO. I liked the call.

I'm more concerned with the undisciplined penalties last night - Rex's Jets teams were known for that sort of nonsense. And you bring a guy over here on his "last chance" after he punched out his QB, and he proceeds to jump offsides on 4th and 4... I don't want to lead the league in stupid.