Preseason Game 2: 8/20 - Bills @ Browns at 8 PM ET on ESPN

• Replies 939
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Players that are penciled in for opening Day starters shouldn't even see the field in this game (other than QBs). Just too many injuries going on and no need to risk starters.

Absolutely. The starters need to get some work in but it should be minimal.

I have no idea. But as this is going to likely be the only preseason game I get to watch live, I'm not complaining.

We all know why. Johnny Football and Rex are fun offseason distractions, then ESPN can focus on real teams during the season.

We all know why. Johnny Football and Rex are fun offseason distractions, then ESPN can focus on real teams during the season.

This.

And aside from the decision to take less $from the Broncos to compete for a starting QB job in Buffalo, it's the biggest moment in TT's entire career - and it's on national TV. At VT, he seized every one of those.

I still can't figure out why they chose this game for national TV

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000513341/article/what-to-watch-for-in-thursdays-preseason-games

Buffalo Bills at Cleveland Browns (8 p.m. ET, ESPN)

1. Wait, what did you say? The best game we'll see all preseason? Absolutely. First of all, we have a Buffalo Bills team where each and every snap matters through the third quarter (at least). Tyrod Taylor was the most explosive quarterback we've seen so far this preseason and one we know very little about. Tonight, he gets to run the show against a defense piloted by Rex Ryan's most notable disciple; so far the only branch on his coaching tree. It's more than just Taylor, though, it's the entire Italian intermezzo opera that is the Bills' quarterback situation. EJ Manuel has first-round talent but is working his way through an epic mental blockade that is making some of us picture him in another uniform come September. Then, there is Matt Cassel who is dependable, but all-of-a-sudden less intriguing than Taylor, whose spectacular athleticism may just be the answer to Buffalo's gimmick-needy offense.

2. Taylor, Cassel and Manuel will have no reprieve against Mike Pettine either. Make no mistake, Ryan and Pettine are still close friends, maybe closer than any two head coaches in football. That being said, Pettine does not want his defense to be embarrassed. It wouldn't surprise us at all to see Cleveland stray a bit from the typically-vanilla preseason zone looks and send some complex pressures into the backfield to ruin Taylor's debut in Buffalo.

3. The Browns have their own quarterbacking questions, though none quite as lively as the one in Buffalo. Still, Josh McCown was efficiently robotic in his preseason debut and Johnny Manziel was far more mature on the field than we've ever seen him before. Perhaps we're seeing the growth of a young quarterback under a great new coordinator, John DeFilippo, or Manziel just has us fooled again. Either way, it's absolutely worth our time to hang around into the second half and watch as Manziel tries to chip away at the gap between himself and McCown.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

maybe the sheer numbers? i know Yankees, Mets, Phillies, O's and Nats take the train between the cities, but they aren't transporting 90 players plus the bulk of the football gear, seems silly though for a, what, 30 minute flight?

Why didn't they take the Amtrak??

"A solid performance against the Browns could help push Taylor into closer contention with Matt Cassel for the starting job at quarterback."

Closer contention? I think a solid performance would make him the leader. Ugh...I'm really not excited with the prospect of Cassel starting the season.

Those WRs, Davis and Thompson, are intriguing.