Bills training camp practice 8/11

This is ridiculous. In almost every practice Cassell has seen time with the ones and then either Taylor or Manuel will see time with the ones. The next day it switches.

Rex said that the scrimmage and the games will play a big part of the QB decision process. Manuel started the scrimmage. Cassell is going to start the first preseason game, and then Rex has already said that either Taylor or EJ would start the second.

And it can't go any longer than the second PS game.

Has it really been so long that people have forgotten than the first game gets some rust off. The second game is a separator for the 2ns and 3rd teams. The third game is the game that the 1s play three quarters and they work on a few game play wrinkles. The 4th game sees the 1s playing AT MOST a single quarter. The rest of that game features roster spot musical chairs.

It's imperative that someone steps up and takes command and soon. The Panthers game is huge. We should know by next Tuesday who the Week One starter will be.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope you are right. Over at BBMB, a vicious lot for the most part, the large tribe of EJ haters -- yes, they hate, they are not simply Buffalo Bills' fans --

have already concluded from EJ working mainly with the third team that he is virtually on his way out and that the battle is between Cassel and Tyrod.

I'll wait for GG and VABills to tell me how I am deluded and the local media is telling it straight.

What kind of an explanation do you need, that virtually the entire press corps covering training camp are hinting that EJ Manuel is being relegated to third string?

Why is that hard to fathom, knowing that he was on the outside looking in with the new coaching staff? All he needed to do was show improvement or at least consistency, which he apparently did not. At least not yet, but that window is getting very small.

@viccarucci: Matt Cassel has another strong day, EJ Manuel fading. My #Bills Day 10 Camp QB Report: http://t.co/gEn00DKYt3

I trust Carrucci more than any reporter on the scene. It sounds like EJ isn't responding to the challenge at this point. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts to being demoted in such a fashion when he returns tomorrow. If the coaches don't give him #1 reps tomorrow to see how he comes back, I'll be surprised.

GO BILLS!!!

What kind of an explanation do you need, that virtually the entire press corps covering training camp are hinting that EJ Manuel is being relegated to third string?

Why is that hard to fathom, knowing that he was on the outside looking in with the new coaching staff? All he needed to do was show improvement or at least consistency, which he apparently did not. At least not yet, but that window is getting very small.

He was the best QB in a scrimmage three days ago -- this makes no sense.

Which he proceeded to blow away

Huh? What of the notion that Rex/Roman are comfortable in their evaluation of EJ thus far, and are therefore giving Cassel/Taylor more time w/ the first team leading up to the preseason? Is that such a ridiculous suggestion?

How I see it: EJ no doubt is inconsistent.

He still is the most talented qb on the roster.

He may be failing, but I absolutely do not trust the local press corps.

I think some of them have an agenda. Joe B. does.

I've read reports from ordinary folk and from Astro that paint a different picture.

So I am going to wait until actual games to draw significant conclusions.

I certainly think if one is going to make a big deal out of a bad practice Monday for EJ,

but not out of his being the best at the scrimmage, one is being selective.

If one just goes by the most recent results, then I'll just wait a day or two for something to change.

It usually does.

Which he proceeded to blow away

I'm not sticking up for him. He's been inconsistent and it's the one thing that the coaches want. But the idea that because today he didn't get a bunch of reps means he is no longer in the running is ridiculous. It's like what Rex said yesterday to a question about the QBs in the press conference. Someone asked "would it be fair to say that since Matt is spending more time with the ones and will be starting the first preseason game that you are leaning towards him being the starter?" and Rex said, "Sure. It would be fair to say that. It just wouldnt be true."

And then today Rex said after the second preseason game we will start to make a choice.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I trust Carrucci more than any reporter on the scene. It sounds like EJ isn't responding to the challenge at this point. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts to being demoted in such a fashion when he returns tomorrow. If the coaches don't give him #1 reps tomorrow to see how he comes back, I'll be surprised.

GO BILLS!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if they're giving each of Taylor and EJ the chance to earn a few series with the 1's in the Carolina game when Cassel comes out.

If they truly intend to pick a starter after game 2, as Rex is indicating, then it would only make sense to split reps with the 1's over the first 2 games so that each guy has a chance.

@viccarucci: Matt Cassel has another strong day, EJ Manuel fading. My #Bills Day 10 Camp QB Report: http://t.co/gEn00DKYt3

I seem to remember Rex saying, and I'm paraphrasing, that the reps in practice are a rotational thing and nothing to read into. By the way, where was Vic when Manuel had three good practices and best QB in scrimmage? I don't remember reading any of his synopsis then