Dumping home phone?

Nervous Guy

I've been looking at ways to trim our household budget and an obvious expense to cut is the 40 some bucks a month I spend on the home phone. To be honest, we rarely get calls on it that are worthwhile, charities, those guys from "Microsoft" calling that my computer is infected :lol: , and other odd ball robocalls. My kids just call my cell or text me, same with my wife...I was wondering how many of you have dumped the home phone and gone strictly cell. Any downside (beside the 911 "issue")?

I've been looking at ways to trim our household budget and an obvious expense to cut is the 40 some bucks a month I spend on the home phone. To be honest, we rarely get calls on it that are worthwhile, charities, those guys from "Microsoft" calling that my computer is infected :lol: , and other odd ball robocalls. My kids just call my cell or text me, same with my wife...I was wondering how many of you have dumped the home phone and gone strictly cell. Any downside (beside the 911 "issue")?

I haven't had a home phone in probably 15 years. Only issue I've had is when there's a major event (Hurricane Sandy, Power Outages on East Coast) and the networks tend to be over capacity.

I ditched my land line years ago, and I haven't missed it for even one second. Also, most - if not all - emergency response centers (police/fire/EMS) now employ what is called 'E911' (enhanced 911) which will deliver your number, home address, and even your location via GPS, so emergency access isn't much of a concern anymore.

Waiting until my contract with Comcast expires, then sayonara. Also had my alarm tied to the home phone, but now everyone is cellular & broadband. Don't even check the VM anymore, as 99% of the calls are telemarketers. Will decide if I keep the phone # and do Vonage or OOma

I still have one. Even have a wall mounted one in basement and kitchen w/cord so when the power goes out.

Is this surprising anyone about me?? ;-) Had it for years... Same w/our cell numbers, they are all the same except the first three numbers of the local exchange... I hate to part w/it on number and history alone... When I got my cell numbers decades ago, they ask me if I want all the same last 4 numbers. LoL!

I am not exactly a Luddite... But what happens when the end of the world hits? LMAO In the Corps of Engineers (work), they got rid of The District radios, repeaters, etc... Everything is cell phone now. We used to have a big radio array on site @ work... That's all been taken down... Again, what happens when the end of the world hits and current cell system gets vaporized first. You think they would have some short wave, or whatever radio system mothballed, @ least in place. Radios were ripped out of the trucks, etc... Ah... Who the heck even remembers how to operate The District radios? :-/

For now... I am not cutting the cord for the chump change a month.

Sorry to give you the other side. I know landlines will be vaporized too when Zombies attack... But @ least some lines will still be intact. And... With everybody else cutting the cord, lines won't be jammed.

It's good go be King... King of the Fools! :-P

We cut our home phone around 2010. Haven't missed it since.

Until Zombies attack. You aren't using my phone as an Amish calling post.

:-P

Those of you who use Ooma, are you pretty happy with it?

We still have a land line as well, mostly for the same reasons as Exiled. Nice to have a line that works when the power is out, but I can think of only one time when that was useful. It's also nice to have a number that we can give to businesses instead of our cell numbers.

Now, of course, all we get are solicitations. I think my mother is the only one who calls that number. I'd gladly switch to Ooma if people are happy with it.

Edited by Rubes

I keep a landline for my office as I am always worried if my phone dies or I lose it I am chit out of luck if that is only way customers can get me. Also like my wired phone ... It's like 20 years old, but the speaker phone is awesome and I like it better than a headset.

Convinced my 89 year old mother to drop the land line a few years ago. Only problem we had was teaching her to how to use the cell.

Inlaws are 80 and they have a cell phone w/small buttons, flip phone... Trying to get them to upgrade to at least an iPhone. BUT can't get past the fact they don't want a cell bill! They are prepaid and have a surplus of a couple hundred in the account! LoL Even if they drain that for and don't have a bill for a year or so... They will go into DT's when they see a $25 a month (yes a MONTH) bill... I simply can't beat their something like 10 bucks or less they spend now. They got the PayLo Plan (legacy now) w/Virgin Mobile... Phone was 14 bucks. How do I beat that an upgrade them? I racked my brain last time in BFLO figuring out a deal... I simply can't beat it outside of just having them tack onto my account and I pay the bill! LMAO, they will never go for that!

They'd have a coronary if they found out what my mobile, phone, internet/cable bills amounted to a year.LoL...

I still have one. Even have a wall mounted one in basement and kitchen w/cord so when the power goes out.

Is this surprising anyone about me?? ;-) Had it for years... Same w/our cell numbers, they are all the same except the first three numbers of the local exchange... I hate to part w/it on number and history alone... When I got my cell numbers decades ago, they ask me if I want all the same last 4 numbers. LoL!

I am not exactly a Luddite... But what happens when the end of the world hits? LMAO In the Corps of Engineers (work), they got rid of The District radios, repeaters, etc... Everything is cell phone now. We used to have a big radio array on site @ work... That's all been taken down... Again, what happens when the end of the world hits and current cell system gets vaporized first. You think they would have some short wave, or whatever radio system mothballed, @ least in place. Radios were ripped out of the trucks, etc... Ah... Who the heck even remembers how to operate The District radios? :-/

For now... I am not cutting the cord for the chump change a month.

Sorry to give you the other side. I know landlines will be vaporized too when Zombies attack... But @ least some lines will still be intact. And... With everybody else cutting the cord, lines won't be jammed.

It's good go be King... King of the Fools! :-P

Until Zombies attack. You aren't using my phone as an Amish calling post.

:-P

You seem pretty preoccupied with the Zombie attack. My question is, at that point who are you expecting to call?

I dumped mine 4 years ago, then when I got cable for my house two years, Time Warner 'forced' me to get a landline as part of their bundling. Remember the Bill Cowher adds "Why pay for something you don't use?" Well they're making me pay. I have never used the landline and have no idea what the number is, but I have one.

I'm going to go to Time Warner again and try to get it deleted.

Edited by BuffJim

Got Magic Jack a few years ago. Works good enough for me for the little I use it. Only costs under $20 per year. There is an app for iPad which makes it pretty convenient.

I cannot get rid of my landline.

Verizon has these bundle packages where it is more expensive to get rid of it. So, everytime I try, I am forced to keep it.

Same here...we have Cablevision for phone, broadband and TV so cutting the phone would hardly make a dent. Plus I live smack dab in the middle of one of few remaining dead zones located on the east coast. :doh:

Home phones just became popular out where I am.... Still trying to figure out what these cell phone things are all about....

Kidding....

Mrs Cletus and I haven't had a landline since 2006. Not one time since that time have I thought, "man, I wish I had a landline!"

Cut the cord!

Those of you who use Ooma, are you pretty happy with it?

We still have a land line as well, mostly for the same reasons as Exiled. Nice to have a line that works when the power is out, but I can think of only one time when that was useful. It's also nice to have a number that we can give to businesses instead of our cell numbers.

Now, of course, all we get are solicitations. I think my mother is the only one who calls that number. I'd gladly switch to Ooma if people are happy with it.

I initially went to VOIP with Vonage in 2009 and switched to Ooma in 2012. I'm completely satisfied with Ooma with regard to cost, voice quality, reliability, and features. Highly recommended.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

OldFartActionFig.jpg

Love the slogans. Specially the same old stories over and over.

I dont agree with new complaints. It's old and new complaints over and over. Mostly old ones. Life used to be cheap. etc etc.

Got Magic Jack a few years ago. Works good enough for me for the little I use it. Only costs under $20 per year. There is an app for iPad which makes it pretty convenient.

Yeah I have this too. I use it when im required to enter home phone # and know i will get sales calls. like online shopping stores that dont take paypal. it's basically just for telemarketers.

my credit card companies have that number too. you know, its my "for stupid people" #.

(And someone on tbd says, did you give the number to yourself yet?)

You seem pretty preoccupied with the Zombie attack. My question is, at that point who are you expecting to call?

Ha! I am not sure. Who's talking about making calls. You can "jump" a landline and use the voltage present on it... @ least it could charge something...

http://m.instructables.com/id/How-to-Get-Emergency-Power-from-a-Phone-Line/

I dumped mine 4 years ago, then when I got cable for my house two years, Time Warner 'forced' me to get a landline as part of their bundling. Remember the Bill Cowher adds "Why pay for something you don't use?" Well they're making me pay. I have never used the landline and have no idea what the number is, but I have one.

I'm going to go to Time Warner again and try to get it deleted.

Just bought a place in DC. Cable internet $74/ month. Cables Internet plus basic TV $54 a month. Hmm, hard choice that one.

I initially went to VOIP with Vonage in 2009 and switched to Ooma in 2012. I'm completely satisfied with Ooma with regard to cost, voice quality, reliability, and features. Highly recommended.

Thanks! I think I might make the switch. Hard to argue with $3.85 a month.

I've never paid for a land line in my life.

You're also probably 13 1/2 years old.

Everyone over age 30 had a landline at one point. That and pay phones was all we had available. Cell phones didnt become crazy popular till 2000 or maybe even after that. 2005ish.

I haven't had a home phone in probably 15 years. Only issue I've had is when there's a major event (Hurricane Sandy, Power Outages on East Coast) and the networks tend to be over capacity.

While true, I feel like your likely to lose phone service in the larger incidents anyway

You're also probably 13 1/2 years old.

Everyone over age 30 had a landline at one point. That and pay phones was all we had available. Cell phones didnt become crazy popular till 2000 or maybe even after that. 2005ish.

But I'd venture that in the under 30/35 crowd most haven't owned one outside of their parents home

Phones can be in the home? Like in a wall?

We also give our plants water. Like water from a toilet.

;-P ;-P

But I'd venture that in the under 30/35 crowd most haven't owned one outside of their parents home

And I'd venture that mommy & daddy are still picking up the cell bill too! Heck, I know a couple that is almost 50 and their parents pay the cell bill. :-/