Bills' Camp @ SJF: Week 1 Day 6 - Begins on Page 64

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blitz Blog: #Bills HC Rex Ryan on RT Cyrus Kouandjio ... "That absolutely could be his job." http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/01/rex-ryan-on-kouandjio-that-absolutely-could-be-his-job/

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe even a brand new thread. When you're on an iPhone it doesn't let you jump to a specific page. It makes you press "next" a thousand times. Or maybe I'm an idiot?

I have no such issue when I'm surfing on my android.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe even a brand new thread. When you're on an iPhone it doesn't let you jump to a specific page. It makes you press "next" a thousand times. Or maybe I'm an idiot?

yes it's very hard to navigate long threads with an iPhone. Only thing to do is switch to other mode (not mobile). But that is harder to read IMO. Edited by YoloinOhio

yes it's very hard to navigate long threads with an iPhone. Only thing to do is switch to other mode (not mobile). But that is harder to read IMO.

I agree. I think the easiest thing to do is to just leave the window open where I left off.

I also would like to have the option to "like" posts someday :)

Who's in charge of this circus?

2 drops, 1 completion (over 10 yards) vs. no pass rush in 10 minutes. That is beyond unacceptable. Then Cassel and EJ turn around and go 1 for 8 in the 7 on 7. There is no defending what we've seen this morning (and yesterday for that matter). The Bills can win with average to below average QB play and so far it is tough to see that happening. It's hard to make guys more accurate.

People will continue to blast your position as "negativity" along with any reporter who reports the same. They will continue to mention that it is only camp and people are over analyzing. They will dismiss it as only being pre season. And then our qb play will continue to suck in the regular season. Happens every year.

People will continue to blast your position as "negativity" along with any reporter who reports the same. They will continue to mention that it is only camp and people are over analyzing. They will dismiss it as only being pre season. And then our qb play will continue to suck in the regular season. Happens every year.

I really try to take an objective stance on this team. I don't think that I'm a hater and gave my reasons for why I feel that way. The criticism is fine as long as people support their opinion. Edited by Kirby Jackson

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blitz Blog: #Bills HC Rex Ryan on RT Cyrus Kouandjio ... "That absolutely could be his job." http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/01/rex-ryan-on-kouandjio-that-absolutely-could-be-his-job/

I have no such issue when I'm surfing on my android.

Regarding Cyrus, here's a tweet by Buscaglia that I didn't see posted today, that I thought was encouraging:

Cyrus Kouandjio just pancaked DE Cedric Reed into the ground... hard. #Bills

Edited by Fixxxer

I really try to take an objective stance on this team. I don't think that I'm a hater and gave my reasons for why I feel that way. The criticism is fine as long as people support their opinion.

I hear you. It just seems like the lousy qb preseason play is always dismissed around here as not important because it's preseason. And then it always translates to bad regular season play.

What is there to look up? I know Gabbert was bad.

You made a direct comparison between Gabbert and Manuel. You inferred that since Gabbert did nothing under Roman why should we expect anything from Manuel. Right off the bat it's bogus.

A much better comparison would be to compare EJ Manuel to an early career Alex Smith.

You made a direct comparison between Gabbert and Manuel. You inferred that since Gabbert did nothing under Roman why should we expect anything from Manuel. Right off the bat it's bogus.

A much better comparison would be to compare EJ Manuel to an early career Alex Smith.

Someone said that we shouldn't be worried about the QB position this year because EJ or Taylor can do what Kaep did under Roman. I questioned that opinion and brought up Blaine Gabbert, a QB with all the same physical tools and intangibles that EJ has still not amounting to anything despite being coached up by Roman. Like I said, some guys just aren't good and I don't think it's safe to assume that either EJ or Tyrod will automatically do what Kaep was able to do.

Why would Alex Smith be a much better comparison? Because it fits in with the hope that EJ will magically turn it around because Smith was able to? I'm not at all saying that EJ will fail because Gabbert did. I'm saying that I'm not ready to consider Roman some QB whisperer just yet. His scheme may help but it could also be that our QBs aren't any good regardless of who is coaching them.

Not a ton, more than Glennon but not much.

Mett would have been a 1-2 round pick had he not blown out his knee in college. He has it all - just needs a chance to gain some experience. I was impressed with him last year considering he was with a bad team & was a rookie.

Kirby, what are your thoughts on the theory that EJ can improve with better lower body mechanics? Proper footwork and throwing more consistently from a strong base. My thought is that Marrone, Hackett and whatever the name was of that joke of a QB coach we hired last year did not even attempt to overhaul Manuel's mechanics the way he needed coming from a simplified system at FSU. Would it be fair to say that he may have just begun that much-needed overhaul this offseason?

His inaccuracy in my opinion is because of a lack of confidence. Only success will improve his confidence. It is necessary that the Bills have a plan to do just that. I'm sure when he is warming up & throwing to the WR's that he is accurate. When he has to hit a slant with a DB on the receiver's tail he is hesitant & afraid to make a mistake.

The NFL is a league of QB led 4th Q winning drives. Does anyone here have confidence that he can do that. I know that he had a few good games & won the Carolina game in the last minute, but can he do it regularly. I have doubts. I'm rooting for him but I'm beginning to think like Kirby that the unknown (Taylor ) may turn out to be the best option to move the chains.

His inaccuracy in my opinion is because of a lack of confidence. Only success will improve his confidence. It is necessary that the Bills have a plan to do just that. I'm sure when he is warming up & throwing to the WR's that he is accurate. When he has to hit a slant with a DB on the receiver's tail he is hesitant & afraid to make a mistake.

The NFL is a league of QB led 4th Q winning drives. Does anyone here have confidence that he can do that. I know that he had a few good games & won the Carolina game in the last minute, but can he do it regularly. I have doubts. I'm rooting for him but I'm beginning to think like Kirby that the unknown (Taylor ) may turn out to be the best option to move the chains.

EJ had the Atlanta game won twice. That game should count as two comeback wins. I'm sure some other guys here can come up with one or two more.

Someone said that we shouldn't be worried about the QB position this year because EJ or Taylor can do what Kaep did under Roman. I questioned that opinion and brought up Blaine Gabbert, a QB with all the same physical tools and intangibles that EJ has still not amounting to anything despite being coached up by Roman. Like I said, some guys just aren't good and I don't think it's safe to assume that either EJ or Tyrod will automatically do what Kaep was able to do.

Why would Alex Smith be a much better comparison? Because it fits in with the hope that EJ will magically turn it around because Smith was able to? I'm not at all saying that EJ will fail because Gabbert did. I'm saying that I'm not ready to consider Roman some QB whisperer just yet. His scheme may help but it could also be that our QBs aren't any good regardless of who is coaching them.

Which is where you went wrong and I gave you the link to pro football reference.

As slow developing as EJ Manuel has been, Blaine Gabbert couldn't carry his jock strap when you compare their stats. Your whole premise was a fallacy from the get go.

Edited by 1billsfan

yes it's very hard to navigate long threads with an iPhone. Only thing to do is switch to other mode (not mobile). But that is harder to read IMO.

Pro tip: if you're stuck at the beginning of a long thread, switch to the standard version at the bottom, scroll to the bottom, hit the last page arrow, scoll to the bottom and switch back to mobile version.;)

@BuffRumblings

Our recap of the recaps from #Bills training camp Day 2 is here. Read up! #Recap http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2015/8/1/9084963/buffalo-bills-training-camp-practice-recap-recap-8-1

#Bills claim OT Terren Jones... who was released by #Titans yesterday

@buffalobills

The Bills have claimed OT Terren Jones. DETAILS: http://bufbills.co/U6py36

CLWrDXwUEAAC9Mv.jpg

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Which is where you went wrong and I gave you the link to pro football reference.

As slow developing as EJ Manuel has been, Blaine Gabbert couldn't carry his jock strap when you compare their stats. Your whole premise was a fallacy from the get go.

You gave me a link to football reference for no reason really and are so hung up on the Blaine Gabbert reference. I don't think you're really understanding what my premise was. And if you want to look at stats without any kind of context at all and think you've come to a logical conclusion then by all means. People like to try and put EJ's career into context by mentioning his coaching staff and talent around him then completely ignore those factors when talking about other QBs.

My entire point was that it's not a safe assumption that Tyrod or EJ can just magically do what Kaep did just because Roman is their OC now. There's no secret potion he gives these guys otherwise Blaine Gabbert would not be a scrub still. Sometimes, QBs are bad regardless of who is coaching them. That was my premise and you're turning it into something it's not.

@ChrisTrapasso: Also re: #Bills QBs today - EJ Manuel's misses on deep balls were all overthrows. Most of Cassel's were underthrows.

@ChrisTrapasso: Two previously unmentioned observations from today's practice: #Bills RBs Anthony Dixon and Karlos Williams are way bigger than I thought.

@ChrisTrapasso: Also re: #Bills QBs today - EJ Manuel's misses on deep balls were all overthrows. Most of Cassel's were underthrows.

@ChrisTrapasso: Two previously unmentioned observations from today's practice: #Bills RBs Anthony Dixon and Karlos Williams are way bigger than I thought.

Well I'd prefer them not missing at all but an overthrown ball is better than an underthrown one.

There is so much to be excited about heading into camp. I think Gilmore will be a star. He's already a borderline shutdown corner, he'll just get the recognition now.

I can't wait for camp to start so we know more about the QB situation.

Go Bills!

Astro's daily report hasn't had much praise for our number one corner so far.

Well I'd prefer them not missing at all but an overthrown ball is better than an underthrown one.

Agree. Hate watching receivers slow down to find balls. These receivers are fast and EJ knows that. I'd guess coach said he doesn't want to see underthrown balls and EJ took it seriously lol

Edit: There were a few yesterday that I saw from Matthew.

this is true. However, Sammy toasted him on the regular in camp last year, too.

I've heard a lot of people talk about Gilmore being a shutdown corner...not saying he's bad but I feel like his tires are being pumped a little too much. He had a good season last year but I don't think he's anywhere near Revis/Sherman YET.

Can I get some discussion on this?

Edited by Hot Buffalo Wings

Agree. Hate watching receivers slow down to find balls. These receivers are fast and EJ knows that. I'd guess coach said he doesn't want to see underthrown balls and EJ took it seriously lol

Edit: There were a few yesterday that I saw from Matthew.

I've heard a lot of people talk about Gilmore being a shutdown corner...not saying he's bad but I feel like his tires are being pumped a little too much. He had a good season last year but I don't think he's anywhere near Revis/Sherman YET.

Can I get some discussion on this?

He keeps having slow starts, due to injuries mostly. Then he gets into his rhythm in the second half of the season and has games like the GB game. I haven't bothered looking at his numbers in depth, but I think I've read that they're in line with the best in the league.

Astro's daily report hasn't had much praise for our number one corner so far.

I read that as well. I'm not concerned. Gilmore is a physical corner. Without pads, a great WR will beat a great CB nearly every time. With pads, the CB cam get into the WR on the line and then it's game on. I'm very excited about our entire DB situation.

Wasn't a tight enough spiral.

too dart like

I read that as well. I'm not concerned. Gilmore is a physical corner. Without pads, a great WR will beat a great CB nearly every time. With pads, the CB cam get into the WR on the line and then it's game on. I'm very excited about our entire DB situation.

. May i suggest there is method to this. I am one to overthink things.

But the defense has to let these guys run the routes to get a decent rep in.

i can imagine the corners are told to give them some room on some plays , and to tug the jerseys on others. especially the youngsters who are trying to get up to NFL speed in a hurry> obviously both sides are not playing to win they are playing techniques and how to work against them. whether it's defense or offense.

I too am pretty stoked about the DBs all the way up to the front 7.

seems like the depth players are coming along this year.

Edited by 3rdand12

too dart like

i can imagine the corners are told to give them some room on some plays , and to tug the jerseys on others. especially the youngsters who are trying to get up to NFL speed in a hurry> obviously both sides are not playing to win they are playing techniques and how to work against them. whether it's defense or offense.

Interesting take.

too dart like

as far as tugging on jerseys, it was reported yesterday that all the WRs are wearing their tighter game day jerseys so the DBs can't do that. Edited by YoloinOhio

Richardson has been playing OG and Rex has good things to say about him. It's early, but I won't be surprised if Miller or Incognito don't start because Richardson. I'm convinced we'll see the OL is improved.

I miss Orton.

There. I said it. Does anybody have his #?

I'd take Fitz 10 times of 10 over Orton, and over any other QB we've had here since Kelly, save for Bledsoe.

as far as tugging on jerseys, it was reported yesterday that all the WRs are wearing their tighter game day jerseys so the DBs can't do that.

and Darby was getting shet for his holding and Watkins kept asking for holding calls. Holding and interfering with routes with late jams and hands are all the same to me.

So dbs sure can do all of that and should. thats how the game is played. And no reason not to give those DBs the gameday jersey to work against.

I think you made my point.

there is a method

:thumbsup:

I'd take Fitz 10 times of 10 over Orton, and over any other QB we've had here since Kelly, save for Bledsoe.

I would take an bonafide NFL O line over all 3 of those choices J.