Bills' Camp @ SJF: Week 1 Day 6 - Begins on Page 64

Interesting to see these reporters and read Astro's notes. They're often at odds, and I trust Astro more.

Amen brother!

Seriously. As much as I enjoy play by play, I want to see a comprehensive review before I wade into the waters of "EJ is going to be traded! Of course! BILLS SUCK! WHY OH WHY DIDN'T WHALEY LISTEN TO MY MOCK DRAFT WHERE I TOTALLY CALLED EVERY SLEEPER WHICH I SHALL RETROACTIVELY CALL THE SAVIOR OF THIS FRANCHISE! RALPH IS CHEAP, REGARDLESS OF BEING DEAD AND NO LONGER IN ANY WAY MAKING DECISIONS

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep.

Just to counter, I'm not saying anything positive or negative against Astro but how do you know who is more objective. If anything I would assume someone that actively roots for the Bills would be more biased. The guys who cover the Bills for local news have always been pretty down on EJ and EJ has pretty much lived up to to their criticism thus far. If what I see on the field totally went against what those guys said I wouldn't buy the tweets and coverage but it's almost always right. I really don't understand why the hate for these guys except for the fact that you don't want to believe that what they're saying is correct.

Let's say joe B and Rodak held the opinion they seem to have that EJ isn't good but Fairburn loved what EJ was doing (purely hypothetical) would people here really only believe what Fairburn had to say? It seems that way.

Edited by jletha

Just to counter, I'm not saying anything positive or negative against Astro but how do you know who is more objective. If anything I would assume someone that actively roots for the Bills would be more biased. The guys who cover the Bills for local news have always been pretty down on EJ and EJ has pretty much lived up to to their criticism thus far. If what I see on the field totally went against what those guys said I wouldn't buy the tweets and coverage but it's almost always right. I really don't understand why the hate for these guys except for the fact that you don't want to believe that what they're saying is correct.

His observations seems pretty objective to me

I really enjoy reading Astros stuff but some people that totally disregard everyone else except for Astro seem to just be searching for confirmation bias. That's all

If anything Astro gives way MORE details than the press. You actually get the picture that all three guys are making some plays and missing others.

Also day three. Rex mentioned too that they were installing the 46 and the O would be confused. Let's hope that was part of it :beer:

If anything Astro gives way MORE details than the press. You actually get the picture that all three guys are making some plays and missing others.

Also day three. Rex mentioned too that they were installing the 46 and the O would be confused. Let's hope that was part of it :beer:

Pretty much my feelings. Guyß reporting aren't breaking down each individual session like astro has been. They are just saying this person won the day because he did x. Astro is giving us a-z as best he can.

Reports are meh had the best day but from Astros breakdown, it looks more like TT was better.

Edited by The Wiz

yea the QBs struggling against our D early on doesn't bother me much. If we gave someone like Aaron Rodgers

fits late in the season then it's silly to think any of our guys would come in and light it up 3 days into camp. What concerns me are the reports

of inaccuracy against "air". Still too early for me to panic

Edited by CNY315

Let's say joe B and Rodak held the opinion they seem to have that EJ isn't good but Fairburn loved what EJ was doing (purely hypothetical) would people here really only believe what Fairburn had to say? It seems that way.

Its just my opinion. jletha : )

i, for one never said i dont believe the beat reporters dont believe what they write is true. and i dont hate anyone.

dont worry friend i have my concerns about he QBs too.

constantly critical is tiresome though.

Tyler Dunne is breath of fresh air.

there needs to be a yin to the yang.

yea the QBs struggling against our D early on doesn't bother me much. If we gave someone like Aaron Rodgers

fits late in the season then it's silly to think any of our guys would come in and light it up 3 days into camp. What concerns me are the reports

of inaccuracy against "air". Still too early for me to panic

This is a mystery to me. seriously. how can you not hit receivers in stride when running routes against air. or pulling it down and running in 7s without pads?

what is That all about

Pretty much my feelings. Guyß reporting aren't breaking down each individual session like astro has been. They are just saying this person won the day because he did x. Astro is giving us a-z as best he can.

Reports are meh had the best day but from Astros breakdown, it looks more like TT was better.

Don't ignore Mike328456248 reports either. He's been doing it every since algore invented the Internet and they're well worth the read.

Sometimes his observations differ from Astro

Don't ignore Mike328456248 reports either. He's been doing it every since algore invented the Internet and they're well worth the read.

Sometimes his observations differ from Astro

Not discounting Mike at all. There are more consistencies between Mike and astro than either of them and the news.

I have been here for 7 years and I should be surprised by how many of you are on the ledge after 3 days of camp but I'm not.

Jesus grown ass men in full blown panic mode. Lmfao

Tap your brakes boys it's waaay to early

Edited by BeefCurtns

I really enjoy reading Astros stuff but some people that totally disregard everyone else except for Astro seem to just be searching for confirmation bias. That's all

maybe Astro has an open mind and isn't letting his personal feelings sway his observations.

@ESPNStatsInfo

39 days to start of NFL season: @buffalobills held their opponents to a 39.0 Total QBR last season, best in the NFL.

@ChrisTrapasso

Sounds like Cassel was #Bills best QB today. EJ best of avg group yesterday. Push on FRI. Tomorrow's night practice is big. I'll be there.

I wonder if that first Stat could have anything to do with the struggles we've seen in camp so far.

1. Amazing d

2. Offense always behind d in camp

3. New offense as opposed to similar scheme from 2 years ago

4. Average qbs

Not surprising to see struggles. Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning struggled against this d!

Can we get some levity please? This sky is falling crap is happening way to soon!

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/19761/matt-cassel-shaky-but-leading-bills-quarterback-pack-in-camp

Matt Cassel:

Friday, first 11-on-11 period: 3-for-4, interception

Friday, second 11-on-11 period: 2-for-3

Saturday, first 11-on-11 period: 1-for-3

Saturday, second 11-on-11 period: 3-for-4

Sunday, first 11-on-11 period: no passes, three sacks

Sunday, second 11-on-11 period: 3-for-3, sack

Total: 12-for-17, four sacks, one interception

Observations: Cassel's stats are better than the other two quarterbacks but to my eye, he hasn't stood out above either of them. He'll miss throws in routes against unguarded receivers that you would expect a more experienced quarterback to hit. Most of his completions have come on check downs. Cassel improved Sunday and generally looks better than he did in the spring but that isn't saying much -- he still has been shaky.

Tyrod Taylor:

Friday, first 11-on-11 period: 1-for-2, touchdown, sack

Friday, second 11-on-11 period: 1-for-3, one receiver drop, two sacks

Saturday, second 11-on-11 period: 2-for-3, two sacks

Sunday, first 11-on-11 period: no passes, one sack, one scramble, one defensive holding penalty

Sunday, second 11-on-11 period: 2-for-2

Total: 6-for-10, six sacks, one touchdown, one scramble, one defensive holding penalty, one receiver drop

Observations: As advertised, Taylor will hold the ball and try to make plays with his feet more than the other two quarterbacks. He'll spin and scramble out of the pocket when his receiver isn't open. Since the defensive line can't hit Taylor in practice, it can be hard to judge when Taylor would have been sacked. He has a strong arm and will loft some deep balls, but it's easy to see him getting in trouble attempting those throws in game action.

EJ Manuel:

Friday, second 11-on-11 period: 0-for-1, two sacks

Saturday, first 11-on-11 period: 0-for-5

Saturday, second 11-on-11 period: 1-for-2, one receiver drop, one scramble

Sunday, second 11-on-11 period: 1-for-2, one sack, one botched snap

Total: 2-for-10, three sacks, one botched snap, one scramble, one receiver drop

Observations: The Bills' rotation between quarterbacks means that Manuel has been with the first group only once in their "two spot" drill, although he will presumably get time with the top group in Monday evening's practice. Since there are simultaneous 11-on-11 drills, I haven't been able to watch Manuel's reps with the second and third teams, so my insight is limited to his action with the first team. It hasn't been pretty. His 0-for-5 sequence Saturday featured three bad misfires and a near interception. He ended June's minicamp on a high note but hasn't been able to recapture that accuracy. Aside from a perfect lofted throw to Robert Woods in a 1-on-1 drill Saturday, he has looked out of sorts so far in training camp.

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/19761/matt-cassel-shaky-but-leading-bills-quarterback-pack-in-camp

Matt Cassel:

Friday, first 11-on-11 period: 3-for-4, interception

Friday, second 11-on-11 period: 2-for-3

Saturday, first 11-on-11 period: 1-for-3

Saturday, second 11-on-11 period: 3-for-4

Sunday, first 11-on-11 period: no passes, three sacks

Sunday, second 11-on-11 period: 3-for-3, sack

Total: 12-for-17, four sacks, one interception

Observations: Cassel's stats are better than the other two quarterbacks but to my eye, he hasn't stood out above either of them. He'll miss throws in routes against unguarded receivers that you would expect a more experienced quarterback to hit. Most of his completions have come on check downs. Cassel improved Sunday and generally looks better than he did in the spring but that isn't saying much -- he still has been shaky.

Tyrod Taylor:

Friday, first 11-on-11 period: 1-for-2, touchdown, sack

Friday, second 11-on-11 period: 1-for-3, one receiver drop, two sacks

Saturday, second 11-on-11 period: 2-for-3, two sacks

Sunday, first 11-on-11 period: no passes, one sack, one scramble, one defensive holding penalty

Sunday, second 11-on-11 period: 2-for-2

Total: 6-for-10, six sacks, one touchdown, one scramble, one defensive holding penalty, one receiver drop

Observations: As advertised, Taylor will hold the ball and try to make plays with his feet more than the other two quarterbacks. He'll spin and scramble out of the pocket when his receiver isn't open. Since the defensive line can't hit Taylor in practice, it can be hard to judge when Taylor would have been sacked. He has a strong arm and will loft some deep balls, but it's easy to see him getting in trouble attempting those throws in game action.

EJ Manuel:

Friday, second 11-on-11 period: 0-for-1, two sacks

Saturday, first 11-on-11 period: 0-for-5

Saturday, second 11-on-11 period: 1-for-2, one receiver drop, one scramble

Sunday, second 11-on-11 period: 1-for-2, one sack, one botched snap

Total: 2-for-10, three sacks, one botched snap, one scramble, one receiver drop

Observations: The Bills' rotation between quarterbacks means that Manuel has been with the first group only once in their "two spot" drill, although he will presumably get time with the top group in Monday evening's practice. Since there are simultaneous 11-on-11 drills, I haven't been able to watch Manuel's reps with the second and third teams, so my insight is limited to his action with the first team. It hasn't been pretty. His 0-for-5 sequence Saturday featured three bad misfires and a near interception. He ended June's minicamp on a high note but hasn't been able to recapture that accuracy. Aside from a perfect lofted throw to Robert Woods in a 1-on-1 drill Saturday, he has looked out of sorts so far in training camp.

Very interesting notes there. So meh is safe, Taylor is risk/reward and EJ is ?.

I know it's a bit amusing considering the source, but trent edwards and some other nfl'ers all mentioned tyrod when talking about the bills with me recently. First thing they all mentioned actually. Hope he beats Cassel. Preseason games will be very interesting that's for sure.