Bills' Camp @ SJF: Week 1 Day 6 - Begins on Page 64

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to mention that it looks like he's hit on every draft pick except the 7th rounder this year.

Yeah but still.

Also, this can't be repeated enough: our defense has a very legitimate shot of being the GOAT.

Yes. That's right.

That (some, not most, but some) Bills fans can't get beyond the QB position when our team is LOADED everywhere else...I just can't...

If that defense doesn't make the playoffs in the next two years, whose fault is it?

Let's !@#$ing worry about that when it happens, shall we?

Troubling yes. Mitigating factor to be considered IMO is new players in a new offense practicing against good to great defensive players in a defensive scheme that's designed to create confusion. Total FN panic to start searching high and low under garbage cans for other teams' dregs QBs.? Nope! Not me.

I think this is where we agree. I am frightened at the prospects this season, but otoh they shouldn't panic and trade for more garbage.

Uh...how to the 2 bolded sentences resolve one another? Premium pick...but worthles to anyone who is not the owner?

If RG3 is kind of worthless to anyone other than Synder, why would anyone trade for him? :blink:

The Bills don't have to do anything Dan Synder wants, desperate or not. If anything, Dan Synder has to do what the Bills want, if there is a trade, in this situation.

This appears to be left-over "RG3 Trade is the Best trade of all Time" residue. Let me help: if Stevie Johnson is worth a 4th? So is RG3.

On that Redskins team, RGIII is kind of worthless because that team needs an Andrew Luck QB since they have such a deficit in talent on that roster.

IMO RGIII perhaps could be worth a high pick to a team like the Bills since he is only going to be asked to make 2 to 3 big plays a game and not going to be asked to carry the team.

Interesting to guess what might happen down the road if Manuel and Taylor can't turn it around.

Yeah but still.

Also, this can't be repeated enough: our defense has a very legitimate shot of being the GOAT.

Yes. That's right.

That (some, not most, but some) Bills fans can't get beyond the QB position when our team is LOADED everywhere else...I just can't...

Let's !@#$ing worry about that when it happens, shall we?

Did I miscommunicate? I meant that, other than QB, Whaley has had a rather good track record

Not to mention that it looks like he's hit on every draft pick except the 7th rounder this year.

They say it usually takes 3 years to judge a draft, but 2013 is looking like it could be one of the best all-around drafts in history. Whaley brought his guys in after he was named GM shortly after the 2012 draft, in which they drafted EJ. I think the best way to judge Whaley is on the last 2 drafts, which he and HIS team directed. The team of Whaley, Monos, and Fisher are building a powerhouse.

Still wouldn't want Whaley to be fired

Me either. The constant need for a "head" when a team fails is an unfortunate symptoms of the American mindset where everything must be immediate and perfect. I think, and obviously this is my opinion, that finding a franchise QB is the hardest thing in sports to find and coincidentally the arguably the most important single position in the four major sports. It's problematic not because a specific GM is unable to identify one, it's because the supply far outweighs the demand. It's simply that a small number actually exist, the rest of the drafted and draftable QBs are projects or likely to be mediocre QBs that stick around not because their GM can;t see the guy is mediocre, but because there are no viable replacements to improve their skill at the position. GMs will probably admit that they look like fools when they reach for QBs but at the same time recognize that sometimes you have to give it a try out of desperation.

To throw out a GM who has shown the ability to identify good NFL players beyond the first round at many positions is foolish. People want to fire Whaley because he can't "find" a QB yet people, for reasons beyond my ability to understand, hold Bill Polian up to some untouchable demigod standard for having Peyton Manning fall in his lap.

Does it make sense to expect, knowing how it works, another GM to "find" what Whaley can't?

Me either. The constant need for a "head" when a team fails is an unfortunate symptoms of the American mindset where everything must be immediate and perfect. I think, and obviously this is my opinion, that finding a franchise QB is the hardest thing in sports to find and coincidentally the arguably the most important single position in the four major sports. It's problematic not because a specific GM is unable to identify one, it's because the supply far outweighs the demand. It's simply that a small number actually exist, the rest of the drafted and draftable QBs are projects or likely to be mediocre QBs that stick around not because their GM can;t see the guy is mediocre, but because there are no viable replacements to improve their skill at the position. GMs will probably admit that they look like fools when they reach for QBs but at the same time recognize that sometimes you have to give it a try out of desperation.

To throw out a GM who has shown the ability to identify good NFL players beyond the first round at many positions is foolish. People want to fire Whaley because he can't "find" a QB yet people, for reasons beyond my ability to understand, hold Bill Polian up to some untouchable demigod standard for having Peyton Manning fall in his lap.

Does it make sense to expect, knowing how it works, another GM to "find" what Whaley can't?

I can forgive Whaley for not succeeding in finding a franchise QB.

I fault him for not trying hard enough.

And the specific tipping point in this thread that led me to question Whaley's efficacy was the statement by a credible poster that the team is shopping EJ already. Again, this just blows my mind. Whaley was part of the team that decided to draft EJ. EJ was considered a project when drafted, one who would need some time. Whaley was part of the team that decided not to give EJ a QB coach during his rookie year, and to hire a rookie OC for our project rookie QB. Whaley was then promoted to lead the team that decided not to draft any QB in the following two drafts, and has done no better than to bring in a belatedly-signed Orton and 2nd Choice Cassell to take the reins in the event EJ fails (I do not consider TT a legitimate option, unlike many posters - perhaps that's where I err). These decisions are mind-boggling on their own, but when you add the prospect of cutting bait on our project QB during his third offseason, with no real alternative on the roster, it is legitimate to question whether Whaley knows what he's doing as a GM. Sure, he's a great scout - let's all agree on that. DOES HE KNOW HOW TO BUILD A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM is the relevant question...

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Agreed. And as I have said many times, don't forget that we traded DOWN when we selected EJ. This strongly indicates that they were ready to "lose" him and had another qb rated about as high.

You just don't trade down if a player you think is your franchise quarterback is on the board. It doesn't happen, or so I think.

I disagree with this only because I remember hearing from Whaley or someone else that we could have traded down again, even further back, I believe with San Fran, netting another pick/player, but we didn't want to risk losing EJ.

I think this is where we agree. I am frightened at the prospects this season, but otoh they shouldn't panic and trade for more garbage.

And this is the position any reasonable fan should have at this point. Concern, not panic. There's an odd sense of "calm" around Rex/Whaley regarding the QB issue. If they are expecting the worst they aren't letting on.

I can forgive Whaley for not succeeding in finding a franchise QB.

I fault him for not trying hard enough.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you probably have no idea how hard Whaley has tried to find a franchise QB.

The fact that we don't have one yet doesn't mean hes not trying hard enough. The real problem is that even though we haven't made the playoffs in 15 years...we have never sucked bad enough to draft the "Jack Eichel" of football.

Last time I checked there are less franchise QBs on the planet than there are NFL teams.

Edited by Hot Buffalo Wings

And this is the position any reasonable fan should have at this point. Concern, not panic. There's an odd sense of "calm" around Rex/Whaley regarding the QB issue. If they are expecting the worst they aren't letting on.

Or they have accepted the fact that it is what it is for this season, no need to panic just adjust the offense accordingly and hope for the best.

Or they have accepted the fact that it is what it is for this season, no need to panic just adjust the offense accordingly and hope for the best.

It's difficult to believe they would be taking a nonchalant, "it is what it is" attitude when the clear directive is to win now. I think they're confident Roman can make it work with one of these guys, and already have an idea of who it will be but want to let the "competition" play itself out.