Sabres on NBC-NBCSN 5 Times Next Season

26CornerBlitz

Nope. Eff that. You tank you last few games to get a guy who has zero NFL experience. That's even worse that hockey. How many top rated players in the NFL bust?

There are a few sure things though. Luck/Manning in football. Gretzky/Kane/Crosby. All knew how good they were gonna be coming into the draft.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few sure things though. Luck/Manning in football. Gretzky/Kane/Crosby. All knew how good they were gonna be coming into the draft.

Nope. Luck was just that. The pro game (NFL) is light speed ahead of the college game. And in any sports a career ending injury is can happen anytime. Purposeful tanking is very, very pathetic. I'd rather build the team through smart drafting and bringing in FA's that want to be part of a winning team not a team of losers. Pretty much what's going on with the Bills now. Any athlete that loses on purpose has to check his competitive drive IMO.

Edited by Chef Jim

Not a bad idea signing the star player's best buddy, the Bills did it for OJ when they signed Al Cowlings...never mind, bad example. :)

He may need somebody to do the driving for him in 25 years!

Nope. Luck was just that. The pro game (NFL) is light speed ahead of the college game. And in any sports a career ending injury is can happen anytime. Purposeful tanking is very, very pathetic. I'd rather build the team through smart drafting and bringing in FA's that want to be part of a winning team not a team of losers. Pretty much what's going on with the Bills now. Any athlete that loses on purpose has to check his competitive drive IMO.

Did you follow any of this? It doesn't appear that you have.

He may need somebody to do the driving for him in 25 years!

Did you follow any of this? It doesn't appear that you have.

Nope. Question. Did it appear that they tanked on purpose?

BTW why would I follow 101 pages of a thread about a team and sport I haven't followed in several years?

Edited by Chef Jim

Nope. Question. Did it appear that they tanked on purpose?

BTW why would I follow 101 pages of a thread about a team and sport I haven't followed in several years?

The players were doing the opposite of tanking. They were playing like their lives depended on it. Much to our consternation.

Not sure why you would decide to jump in with misinformed opinions on page 101? :lol:

The players were doing the opposite of tanking. They were playing like their lives depended on it. Much to our consternation.

Not sure why you would decide to jump in with misinformed opinions on page 101? :lol:

So they truly suck? !@#$ing awesome.

My opinions are on tanking in general. Seems to be an awful lot of talk of the team tanking here from what I've seen however.

The players/coaches were playing their asses off to win. The FO built the team to lose, which other than coming in last place benefited the team in other ways. Trading away expensive players who we wouldn't retain anyway to get draft picks and clear up cap space.

So they truly suck? !@#$ing awesome.

My opinions are on tanking in general. Seems to be an awful lot of talk of the team tanking here from what I've seen however.

This stuff has always existed in sports. For whatever reason, it only became a popular buzz word in recent years. The leagues can go through as many crazy proposed changes as they want, but this will never go away.

Like others have said... "The Tank" refers to the FO gutting the team. It's like tearing down a house to build new on the same land. The players didn't really suck, there is just a small differnece between winning and losing in The NHL.

How many years of Darcy/Lindy? How do you change culture quickly? It's called "The Tank." How many players are still asscociated w/the old system? Why would you even want to build around one piece from the old system. New owner, new everything! One of the few ocassions something like this can be justified... And it worked, they are assured the #2 pick and had a 20% shot @ #1.

It's the only way to get better quick and have a whole new house! Tear it down, build it new... Build it your way!

This stuff has always existed in sports. For whatever reason, it only became a popular buzz word in recent years. The leagues can go through as many crazy proposed changes as they want, but this will never go away.

Absolutely! This league couldn't be any more pretentious and sanctimonious if it tried.

He's 21. For a North American to be draft eligible, they have to be between 18-20 in the year of the draft.

Rodrigues is clearly a guy who benefited from playing with Eichel. He had 60 points total his first three seasons at BU. This year he had 61.

that's weird, too old to get drafted :wacko:

No way. It's not that bad.

Wait until the thread title changes again when we trade half the roster for McDavid.

Someone on SS started a thread on that, and it is my greatest fear right now. I am so sold on and watched so much of Eichel, I am not fine with, I am ECSTATIC , the Sabres are going to get him. Would kill me to see Risto, Girgensons , Eichel and say Pysyk go.

AD asked upthread about trades, I was hoping we won the lottery and Arizona would trade up for McDavid and we would get the big haul and Eichel.

If McDavid asks the Oilers to trade him to Buffalo for Eichel to be closer to home near Toronto. Doesn't look like Connor's father likes the Oilers owner. Similar to Manning - Rivers trade and Eric Lindros refusing to go to the Nordiques.

I'am happy with Eichel , would not give up a lot more for a trade.

If McDavid asks the Oilers to trade him to Buffalo for Eichel to be closer to home near Toronto. Doesn't look like Connor's father likes the Oilers owner. Similar to Manning - Rivers trade and Eric Lindros refusing to go to the Nordiques.

I'am happy with Eichel , would not give up a lot more for a trade.

I'm thinking a trade begins with this....eichel....risto....girgs

If Edmonton hires Peter Chirelli he might trade McDavid for a slightly more accomplished veteran. After all, he did trade Seguin for Louis Ericksson. Yeah, that really happened.

I'm kidding of course. I don't see Edmonton trading McDavid for anything, or even entertaining offers. That fanbase is on the verge of total revolt at this point and trading McDavid would put them over the edge.

yeah. For sure. MacTavish said again yesterday that there was no chance (which of course is smart to say either way).

But yeah, fans would reject a trade pretty harshly. As it is, they despise Katz and management vehemently. They trade away the next Canadian great hope... oh boy. I think people would actually attack the team offices. I just dont see nearly enough motivation on their part to trade McDavid away to risk the backlash, and the possibility of being a future Jeopardy question.

Then there is the sour feelings the McDavids (likely) have towards Katz (I dont think it has anything/much to do with Edmonton). That would be the behind scenes thing that can drive it. McDavid seems like a righteous kid. However, I would think Katz would be more than willing to bury the hatchet with Bassin/the Otters and make it right as he has a lot more to gain with a happy Connor McDavid. The only factor remaining is how much do they dislike/distrust Katz already for trying to obliterate a great hockey man for greed? Especially when they were exposed to the Pegulas who appear to be very friendly, salt of the Earth, wanting to do right by people (at least in their Sports enterprises lol)...

Overall, I would put a Sabres' trade for McDavid at a <2% chance. I only have it that "high" just because Murray/Pegulas are obviously over-the-moon for the kid and the "call" has been/will be made.

Edited by May Day 10

Has anyone seen anything about Eichel's absence from the draft show? Too boozed up at the hotel and they told him to stay there? It is what it is and of course you prefer 1A to 1B, but when 1B comes with character yellow flags and 1A goes to the worst team possible from a marketing perspective, the whole thing stings a little.

Has anyone seen anything about Eichel's absence from the draft show? Too boozed up at the hotel and they told him to stay there? It is what it is and of course you prefer 1A to 1B, but when 1B comes with character yellow flags and 1A goes to the worst team possible from a marketing perspective, the whole thing stings a little.

I dont know, but Im sure its a legit reason and I wouldnt look twice at it, really.

Agreed a bit on the character thing and was a huge force in me preferring McDavid as much as I did. Eichel just seems like your prototypical American player/college kid. A lot of times, these players are loose cannons, entitled, and sometimes run into problems. From my view, the psyche of a US player (not always the case) is less desirable than the Canadians. It doesnt necessarily mean disaster/burn, etc. You have Kessel, Kane, had Tkachuk, Chelios, Roenick, Hull etc... those are the greats, really but were prone to immaturity on and off the ice and its one more thing to overcome. I saw the same kind of spoiled entitlement in Miller... its tough to quantify, but its there. The one A-Hole who complained about Buffalo at the WJC was an American kid... I also heard Eichel got himself into a bit of headache over social media stuff.

That video of Eichel chugging the beer. All I can think of is "I wonder if at this moment, McDavid is working on his faceoffs or his shot?".

It just seems like McDavid is so... I dont know, "wholesome" as opposed to Eichel. He seems dedicated only to being the best. Maybe Eichel is too... I dont know.

I dont intend to take shots at Eichel. Im excited we secured him for sure. Really pumped. Just being open with my thoughts.