Sabres on NBC-NBCSN 5 Times Next Season

26CornerBlitz

No problem. You just seem to be confused. The whole reason people wanted them to tank and get last place was because it guarenteed us one of the two. It was always a long shot that we would get McDavid, and people wouldn't be as invested in tanking if it was solely McDavid and the 20% shot. You don't tank for a 20% shot. You tank for the 100% shot at getting 1 of 2 supposed generational talents.

Why does this need explaining yet again on April 19th?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a fitting end to the tank because any reasonable person who even halfway follows the NHL knows they were tanking for a Eichel, with a tiny chance for mcdavid. If you personally don't approve of teams tanking in general you are obviously entitled to that opinion, but the tank itself was a success. Only those who don't understand how the NHL lottery works, or who don't understand how rare of a talent Eichel is, would look at the tank as having not met expectations.

I know the situation.

But if it's all good, why is Murray "disappointed for the fans"?

Because they aren't getting what they wanted. Eichel is the consolation prize, and that's what tankers deserve.

I know the situation.

Because they aren't getting what they wanted. Eichel is the consolation prize, and that's what tankers deserve.

he was referring to how the NHL lottery is set up and announced. Did you hear the whole dialogue or just see that one quote? Come on.

He said he knew the odds and expected to get the second pick, but that many fans were very invested in the process and really hoping to get the first pick. This is why WGR kept doing the draft drill every day, because fans don't always get how small of a chance it is to get the first pick with the way the lottery is. He was disappointed for the fans who were invested to get the first... Not disappointed that the Sabres have the second.

Again, you say you "know the situation" but frankly your posts continue to reflect the opposite.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Again, you say you "know the situation" but frankly your posts continue to reflect the opposite.

That's because he's trolling.

Because he's upset that everyone knows the Patriots cheat and get away with it, so he's trying to prove a point...somehow.

I know the situation.

I simply love this lottery... If anybody is going get those two, can't be better that it's EDM and BFLO. BFLO wins the lottery and it is AZ getting one of them...

The Gods are smiling on The League and the true (yet but small) markets!!!

Eichel could have waited till next year and come out... He'd be number one and in the same ranks as Crosby, Ovie, Kane and every other "generational" pick before them.

I take you are a BU fan? Does it break your heart that JE is shuffling off to BFLO?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I simply love this lottery... If anybody is going get those two, can't be better that it's EDM and BFLO. BFLO wins the lottery and it is AZ getting one of them...

Eichel could have waited till next year and come out... He'd be number one and in the same ranks as Crosby, Ovie, Kane and every other "generational" pick before them.

I take you are a BU fan? Does it break your heart that JE is shuffling off to BFLO?

Hockey doesn't work that way. As soon as they're eligible for the draft they're in. The only thing he can do is play hardball with the team that drafts him and stay the full four years at BU

Wouldn't it be sweet if Edmonton realized the magnitude of what I mentioned above and took Eichel... Because that's who they wanted...

Box the rest of the teams out...

YET, again, I am very happy with Edmonton getting McDavid... Oiler are a Western Conference team! Box the rest of the sucky teams out and control talent on one team.

Hockey doesn't work that way. As soon as they're eligible for the draft they're in. The only thing he can do is play hardball with the team that drafts him and stay the full four years at BU

My bad... I was under the impression he didn't have to declare.

Nope, I just think many Sabres/Bills fans have an odd double standard.

The same fans that claim to "deserve a championship" because they have been such great fans (but Buffalo never wins). Now one of the teams is actually tanking a season, and fans cheer for the opponents. All so they can draft a kid who MIGHT bring a championship to the city. That is really sad. Sad because it displays such a desperate yearning for some kind of legitimization for the city through pro sports. It's not a good look.

It reminds me of a Kelly Era news column by Donn Esmonde, where he wrote about the fans desperate need to "bask in the reflected glory" of the Bills.

And then the same fans attack a truly exceptional organization (NE Pats), and exaggerate any transgression that the Pats MIGHT have made, in a bitter attempt to drag down their accomplishments. Again, not a good look.

Well, it's your time to bask in the reflected glory of "The Tank". And you didn't even win that one.

Edited by HoF Watkins

The same fans that claim to "deserve a championship" because they have been such great fans (but Buffalo never wins). Now one of the teams is actually tanking a season, and fans cheer for the opponents. All so they can draft a kid who MIGHT bring a championship to the city. That is really sad. Sad because it displays such a desperate yearning for some kind of legitimization for the city through pro sports. It's not a good look.

It reminds me of a Kelly Era news column by Donn Esmonde, where he wrote about the fans desperate need to "bask in the reflected glory" of the Bills.

And then the same fans attack a truly exceptional organization (NE Pats), and exaggerate any transgression that the Pats MIGHT have made, in a bitter attempt to drag down their accomplishments. Again, not a good look.

Well, it's your time to bask in the reflected glory of "The Tank". And you didn't even win that one.

Hey... If you can't beat them, join them... Nice guys finish last. Looks don't matter anymore, we went down that route and came out 3-20 something against the Cheatriots.

When in Rome, do as the Romans...

The Tank wasn't about winning The Lottery and it's odds... It was making sure we got one of those two.

they did indeed win the tank. I have explained this to you - scratch that, everyone has explained this to you - and you continue to ignore it to beat the drum of your own "anti-tank" agenda. It's fine to be anti-tank, it's not my personal stance, but I get it. At least be informed about the other side though, or you just cannot be taken seriously.

That's because he's trolling.

Because he's upset that everyone knows the Patriots cheat and get away with it, so he's trying to prove a point...somehow.

His point is that the Sabres cheating by tanking. But still came up 2nd.

they did indeed win the tank. I have explained this to you - scratch that, everyone has explained this to you - and you continue to ignore it to beat the drum of your own "anti-tank" agenda. It's fine to be anti-tank, it's not my personal stance, but I get it. At least be informed about the other side though, or you just cannot be taken seriously.

I fully understand the concept of "The Tank", and don't need any more explanations. The fact is, everyone wanted McDavid.

Eichel is the consolation prize. I won't explain it to you, just read what the rest of the world is writing about it...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/sabres-gm-tim-murray---i-m-disappointed-for-our-fans-011101406.html

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/04/18/nhl-draft-lottery-oilers-sabres-tim-murray-connor-mcdavid-jack-eichel

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/buffalo-sabres-lose-nhl-draft-lottery-connor-mcdavid-jack-eichel

it goes on and on...face it man, it didn't work out like you, the other fans, or the team, hoped it would.

His point is that the Sabres cheating by tanking. But still came up 2nd.

Yep.

I'm not sure why that needs to be explained, but when you have your head in the sand, it's hard to see clearly.

But another point that really bothers me,and separates it from the Pats (or other teams cheating/bending the rules) is that, not only did the team act deplorably, THE FANS WERE COMPLICIT!

Edited by HoF Watkins

He's trolling. GMTM gutted the team. They were trying to win. Sure they may have pulled a few more games out w/pure grit and gumption... BUT they would be mired in mediocrity. That is what HoFWatkins wants. Only Nolan knows if they actually threw a game. Simply "not trying very hard" is not considered cheating. They team did try hard and win. I wish he would point out a game where they didn't try. Now GMTM gutting the team can be viewed differently? But is it wrong to bulldoze a house and start fresh. IMO, no. You don't have to work with what you have. You don't have to keep what you don't want. The team was simply built to tank. Contrary, it never tanked on ice. Nothing comes out of mediocrity unless a team cheats. See: The crook Kraft and The Pats*.

I like Plenz analogy. Are you going to throw the baby out with the bathwater to try and win 400 million in The Lottery vs. a sure payday of 250 million.

You'd have to be a fool not to game the system legally and make sure the 250 was a given.

That is straight out of Belicheat's playbook! Game the system LEGALLY! Or until they make it illegal... Which Belicheat simply doesn't care anyway.

I fully understand the concept of "The Tank", and don't need any more explanations. The fact is, everyone wanted McDavid.

Eichel is the consolation prize. I won't explain it to you, just read what the rest of the world is writing about it...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/sabres-gm-tim-murray---i-m-disappointed-for-our-fans-011101406.html

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/04/18/nhl-draft-lottery-oilers-sabres-tim-murray-connor-mcdavid-jack-eichel

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/04/buffalo-sabres-lose-nhl-draft-lottery-connor-mcdavid-jack-eichel

it goes on and on...face it man, it didn't work out like you, the other fans, or the team, hoped it would.

Yep.

I'm not sure why that needs to be explained, but when you have your head in the sand, it's hard to see clearly.

But another point that really bothers me,and separates it from the Pats (or other teams cheating/bending the rules) is that not only did the team act deplorably, THE FANS WERE COMPLICIT!

the more you talk, the less you make sense. The Tank was not for McDavid. Most fans wanted him. The Sabres wanted him. But the Tank was not for him, it was for Eichel, with a small chance for mcDavid and any informed person knows that. You can send me all the links you want about people wanting McDavid. That's irrelevant. There was no way to tank for him with the way the NHL lottery is set up . Everyone who knows anything about the NHL knows this. It was for one of the two. If there are fans who think it didn't work, they started paying attention too little and too late. I think you are one of them. Edited by YoloinOhio

This seems like a good place to remind everyone to please not feed the trolls. Research indicates that unfed trolls quickly lose interest and are rarely seen again, but, well fed trolls will continue to post their idiocy again and again in hope of more feedings. Reinforcing this behavior does no one any good, especially the troll who is "rewarded" for bad behavior.

Recuerde que debe mantener los brazos y las piernas dentro del paseo en todo momento.

He's trolling. GMTM gutted the team. They were trying to win. Sure they may have pulled a few more games out w/pure grit and gumption... BUT they would be mired in mediocrity. That is what HoFWatkins wants. Only Nolan knows if they actually threw a game. Simply "not trying very hard" is not considered cheating. They team did try hard and win. I wish he would point out a game where they didn't try. Now GMTM gutting the team can be viewed differently? But is it wrong to bulldoze a house and start fresh. IMO, no. You don't have to work with what you have. You don't have to keep what you don't want. The team was simply built to tank. Contrary, it never tanked on ice. Nothing comes out of mediocrity unless a team cheats. See: The crook Kraft and The Pats*.

I like Plenz analogy. Are you going to throw the baby out with the bathwater to try and win 400 million in The Lottery vs. a sure payday of 250 million.

You'd have to be a fool not to game the system legally and make sure the 250 was a given.

That is straight out of Belicheat's playbook! Game the system LEGALLY! Or until they make it illegal... Which Belicheat simply doesn't care anyway.

You can talk among yourselves to assure each other that the Sabres (and their fans) acted honorably. I'm sure if you keep the blinders on, everything will feel better. The fact is, they didn't. And they definitely aren't more honorable than the Patriots (who at least try to win...and do).

This seems like a good place to remind everyone to please not feed the trolls. RESEARCH INDICATES that unfed trolls quickly lose interest and are rarely seen again, but, well fed trolls will continue to post their idiocy again and again in hope of more feedings. Reinforcing this behavior does no one any good, especially the troll who is "rewarded" for bad behavior.

Recuerde que debe mantener los brazos y las piernas dentro del paseo en todo momento.

Link please.

J/K... ;-P ;-P