Sabres on NBC-NBCSN 5 Times Next Season

26CornerBlitz

here comes a "oh great, beer snobs" type post....

yes, I/We enjoy delicious beer that is complex and delicious and can be enjoyed in various ways

and if you are a fan of your beer flavored water (thanks Joe) , by all means, crush those beers man!

It's killing me drinking good beer at $10 a six pack.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eichel lives within a small community at BU where everyone knows who he is. McDavid is allowed to fly under the radar as I assume just about no one in Erie has any clue who he is. That's going to have a lot to do with that perception. It's possible that McDavid is in fact the angel that he is perceived as, but I highly doubt it. These are 18 year old kids and they've all got their own kind of craziness happening at some point.

This view of Eichel seems a bit crazy to me since it is based completely off of one single video which was posted online. Everything you ever see out there that comes from the coaches and people surrounding Eichel talks about how hard he has worked to get to where he is. Accelerating his education while playing with the US developmental program should be another sign of his ethic. To try to bury that because a teenager drank a can of beer seems disingenuous to me.

My assessment is certainly not fair and based on a very limited knowledge of these two. I admit I do have a pro-Canadian bias and pro-CHL bias.

Im sure Eichel has plenty figured out and will be fine.

I dont have any kids, so I have plenty of money to throw around at good beer : )

I don't have kids either but I still cringe at $10 six packs. The only thing that helps is knowing that if I was at a bar it would be at least $36 for those six. Though I never would drink that many at a bar even if I wasn't driving.

Didn't everyone drink cheap beer in college? I don't know about you all but we didn't drink Sam Adams and the better beers until we graduated.

I actually drank liquor at that age. I never liked beer really, mostly because it was cheap stuff. Wasted years. Spent all this time thinking all beer was the same nasty stuff.

Edited by The Real Buffalo Joe

I actually drank liquor at that age. I never liked beer really, mostly because it was cheap stuff. Wasted years. Spent all this time thinking all beer was the same nasty stuff.

We drank the cheapest beer in college but it was great at the time - we didn't realize it until you get older and try the good ones. Now I can't really drink Bud Light but it does remind me of college when I do. What college kid has 10 bucks to spend on a 6 pack? I didn't but maybe times have changed! We were all about beer in volume, lol. Now I will have 1 or 2 beers at a time and that's it, so will drink the microbrews, etc. Edited by YoloinOhio

Where in the world is this coming from? Cause the kid had a beer at a college party you make the inference he is a boozer ???

Had a beer? He was faced dude. He put himself in a position to be arrested before he even got a contract. Maybe he'll straighten up and I think the Sabres almost have to take him, but let's see him lead a stable life for a while before we start counting on him to deliver a cup.

Had a beer? He was faced dude. He put himself in a position to be arrested before he even got a contract. Maybe he'll straighten up and I think the Sabres almost have to take him, but let's see him lead a stable life for a while before we start counting on him to deliver a cup.

Underage drinking. He'd be the only player in the NHL, possibly all of professional sports who would get caught partaking in such a heinous event.

Underage drinking. He'd be the only player in the NHL, possibly all of professional sports who would get caught partaking in such a heinous event.

Dude he was drinking and probably still is drinking in Boston. At that time he was a local hero. Now he is headed to the enemy. Any chance the local gendarmes adjust their behavior?

My assessment is certainly not fair and based on a very limited knowledge of these two. I admit I do have a pro-Canadian bias and pro-CHL bias.

Im sure Eichel has plenty figured out and will be fine.

I did think it was funny that two of the guys you pointed out as examples of character issues were CHL guys. ;)

Can't believe the load of crap I'm reading here regarding Eichel's work ethic and "character."

According to his coach and the former BU coach that recruited him, his work ethic is beyond reproach. Quinn said his idea of a good time is to get to the rink at 7am and take 200 shots. He's a rink rat and has been since he started skating. Additionally, you don't acquire the kind of strength he has without that work ethic. Somebody wake me when McDavid is doing 350 lb cleans in the weight room or 25 pullups at 6' 2" and 198 pounds.

Regarding the bud-light chug; that has been taken entirely out of context. First of all, it occurred back in September, BEFORE his season started, when he was at a birthday party and BEFORE the prospects game in Buffalo. He was literally on his way to Buffalo a couple days after that video was shot. That's what he meant by, "Buffalo, I'm coming for ya." Had nothing to do with the draft and the possibility of being selected by the Sabres.

Finally, he had a prior family commitment to keep and couldn't make the NHL freak show that was the lottery event. This family commitment was moved to last weekend in part because Eichel needed to join the US Men's team in preparation for the IIHL World Championship in Prague starting next week.

If people need to insist on casting aspersions on an 18 year old college freshman, have at it. But perhaps you should acquaint yourselves with some facts before hand. Might make you look less foolish.

Edited by K-9

We drank the cheapest beer in college but it was great at the time - we didn't realize it until you get older and try the good ones. Now I can't really drink Bud Light but it does remind me of college when I do. What college kid has 10 bucks to spend on a 6 pack? I didn't but maybe times have changed! We were all about beer in volume, lol. Now I will have 1 or 2 beers at a time and that's it, so will drink the microbrews, etc.

I was just having this discussion the other day with some friends.

We were recalling what a HUGE deal it was to scrape together enough cash to get a keg. Even though they were/are only $45.

Versus where we are in adulthood today, where it is financially very easy to go pick up a few kegs, but then the issue becomes who is gonna carry these things, and how am I going to hide them from the wife?!? :thumbsup:

Can't believe the load of crap I'm reading here regarding Eichel's work ethic and "character."

According to his coach and the former BU coach that recruited him, his work ethic is beyond reproach. Quinn said his idea of a good time is to get to the rink at 7am and take 200 shots. He's a rink rat and has been since he started skating. Additionally, you don't acquire the kind of strength he has without that work ethic. Somebody wake me when McDavid is doing 350 lb cleans in the weight room or 25 pullups at 6' 2" and 198 pounds.

Regarding the bud-light chug; that has been taken entirely out of context. First of all, it occurred back in September, BEFORE his season started, when he was at a birthday party and BEFORE the prospects game in Buffalo. He was literally on his way to Buffalo a couple days after that video was shot. That's what he meant by, "Buffalo, I'm coming for ya." Had nothing to do with the draft and the possibility of being selected by the Sabres.

Finally, he had a prior family commitment to keep and couldn't make the NHL freak show that was the lottery event. This family commitment was moved to last weekend in part because Eichel needed to join the US Men's team in preparation for the IIHL World Championship in Prague starting next week.

If people need to insist on casting aspersions on an 18 year old college freshman, have at it. But perhaps you should acquaint yourselves with some facts before hand. Might make you look less foolish.

Look dude I hope it works out for him...I really do. But the evidence is right there on Twitter or whatever and sure is reminiscent of Johnny Football. You have to be pretty boozy to do it on camera when you know you're staring down a huge contract....just like Johnny Football was. It hasn't worked out for him in Cleveland at all. You can't just snap your fingers and stop boozing.

I still think the Sabres should pick him. I'm just saying that there was a huge difference losing the lottery. 1A with no character risks is a lot different than 1B and thinking about losing a year somewhere to rehab.

Look dude I hope it works out for him...I really do. But the evidence is right there on Twitter or whatever and sure is reminiscent of Johnny Football. You have to be pretty boozy to do it on camera when you know you're staring down a huge contract....just like Johnny Football was. It hasn't worked out for him in Cleveland at all. You can't just snap your fingers and stop boozing.

I still think the Sabres should pick him. I'm just saying that there was a huge difference losing the lottery. 1A with no character risks is a lot different than 1B and thinking about losing a year somewhere to rehab.

Exactly. We need the hockey equivalent of Andrew Luck.

Patrick Kane had a drinking problem. He even got drunk (underage) and assaulted a cabbie. That's a major off-ice incident.

You know how he fixed that problem?

By winning a Stanley Cup and getting absolutely obliterated in public at the victory parade.

IT'S HOCKEY FOR CRIPES SAKE!!

Edited by DrDareustein