Sabres on NBC-NBCSN 5 Times Next Season

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sabres add Eichel, O'Reilly, Lehner to speed rebuild

By Dan Rosen - NHL.com Senior Writer

SUNRISE, Fla. -- Buffalo Sabres general manager Tim Murray isn't a fan of talking in hypotheticals, but even he knows Friday could be remembered as an unprecedented day.

"Hey, it's exciting, it's exciting," Murray said. "We've gotta get ready for [saturday], but we did hit some targets today, and that's satisfying when you can do that."

If Friday only featured the selection of Boston University forward Jack Eichel with the No. 2 pick in the 2015 NHL Draft at BB&T Center, that might have been enough to be considered one of the most important days in Sabres history. But Murray built on it by acquiring forwards Ryan O'Reilly, Jamie McGinn and David Legwand, and goalie Robin Lehner in separate trades.

I haven't followed... Is he going to wear #15 or is that a promo?

He can't wear #2... That was Timmy Horton. BUT #2 would have been gr8! :lol:

Who wore Sabres #15?

Mike Boland has to be the biggest?

Adam Creighton

Yvon Lambert (1982)

Rob McClanahan

Danius Zubrus

http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/numbers.cgi?number=15

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I hope folks realize that 2015 has been the greatest year in Buffalo sports history. Nothing even close.

Okay, I am going to be a real prince here

But I clearly remember someone going off the rails when several of us were hoping, praying, lighting candles etc that Marrone would actually take the opt out.....and when it came to fruition someone named after a beloved Buffalo children's character chastising us " that you all got what you deserved today., and will rue the day we chased a winning coach out the door. Buffalo fans can never be happy, and I hope the Bills lose next year"""" hmmm wonder who that was

Edited by plenzmd1

Seems like a 1st is a lot for a goalie, wasn't Samsonoff supposed to be good?

I thought Zodorov was supposed to be a core player, 4 guys for 2 seems steep (although , I'm glad to see Grigorinko go)

Zadorov should have been part of the core but acquiring Bogosian who is already established in the league made him slightly less important. Add in his maturity red flags and it was best to deal him at his biggest value. Computer's absolute best case scenario was a poor man's O'Reilly, so that's fine by me, and Grigorenko was headed to the KHL.

But I clearly remember someone going off the rails when several of us were hoping, praying, lighting candles etc that Marrone would actually take the opt out.....and when it came to fruition someone named after a beloved Buffalo children's character chastising us " that you all got what you deserved today., and will rue the day we chased a winning coach out the door. Buffalo fans can never be happy, and I hope the Bills lose next year"""" hmmm wonder who that was

I'm always struck by the undying pessimism of some fans. Okay, plenzmd1. Let's play your game.

I can recall a time when the idea of a Buffalo team landing just one top free agent, much less a bunch of them, was a foolish dream.

I can recall a time when it was less than 50/50 that we could retain our top free agents.

I can recall a time when top coaches would laugh at us when we had openings to fill.

I can recall a time when Buffalo was the butt of every joke from every national media figure.

I can recall a time when vultures circled both our sports teams, waiting for one owner to drop dead!!

I ESPECIALLY recall a time when TBD'ers would dream of a savior to not only keep our teams here but be able to spend enough to make them competitive.

So what do I read now?

"We haven't won anything yet, Promo."

"You thought Marrone was going to be good, Promo."

And people say I lack perspective.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

So, So, True. LOL

Buffalo fans suck yea that's the problem. The homers hoist the beers as the Bills and Sabres win paper off season trophies yet again. BFD. Sorry, there a long effin way to go with BIG pieces missing. But at least there is a owner where money is no object. That's cool but he is not a player just a guy that has boatloads of cash. And he has misfired in the management roles on The Sabres once already. But he tries so thats is great.

Are these times ro be hopeful? Yes. read up on the 64-65 Bills when the city had an actual reaon to celebrate they were the champs. Not offseason paper champs.

Flame away tin man.

Edited by Best Player Available

I haven't followed... Is he going to wear #15 or is that a promo?

He can't wear #2... That was Timmy Horton. BUT #2 would have been gr8! :lol:

Who wore Sabres #15?

Mike Boland has to be the biggest?

Adam Creighton

Yvon Lambert (1982)

Rob McClanahan

Danius Zubrus

http://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/numbers.cgi?number=15

@BillHoppeNHL

Jack Eichel thrilled to be drafted by #Sabres: 'I wanted to be a part of this' Story: http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/jack-eichel-thrilled-to-be-drafted-by-sabres-i-wanted-to-be-a-part-of-this/

#Buffalo

What number will Eichel wear? He sported No. 9 in college, a digit winger Evander Kane grabbed in February. Eichel was given No. 15 for 2015 to wear on stage.

“Fifteen’s a good number,” Eichel said. “I’ve worn it before. It’s my dad’s lucky number. It’s my sister’s lucky number. It’s my dad’s number. It happened to be the year I was drafted. So there’s a lot of significance to the No. 15.”

So, So, True. LOL

Buffalo fans suck yea that's the problem. The homers hoist the beers as the Bills and Sabres win paper off season trophies yet again. BFD. Sorry, there a long effin way to go with BIG pieces missing. But at least there is a owner where money is no object. That's cool but he is not a player just a guy that has boatloads of cash. And he has misfired in the management roles on The Sabres once already. But he tries so thats is great.

Are these times ro be hopeful? Yes. read up on the 64-65 Bills when the city had an actual reaon to celebrate they were the champs. Not offseason paper champs.

Flame away tin man.

You're right. We still suck.

Read above post, realist

Edited by PromoTheRobot

You're right. We still suck.

Read above post, realist

Dan Patrick one of the few media types I respect said. The Sabres tanked on purpose, fans had to pay and watch that. That is just not right i have little respect for teams that do that. i am paraphrasing but again just What have they won? Nothing. A projected player that has huge upside. And, A couple of other good moves.

As for the Bills do you think percy harvin and incognito are the signings that put the bills deep into the playoffs? Just an example. But very doubtful. i am excited about this season and have high hopes anything less that 11-5 and at least a single playoff win and the season will be a disaapointment. Wonder what the odds of that happening are?? With no QB?

The Sabres well even if the draft pans out as expected, where do you think they are at the end of next season? Well better I hope? I was lucky to sell our seasons that I actually split anyways. for face value the people that bought them called and said they regretted it. No Kidding. What were you expecting? it was so bad. Money should have been refunded. Thats not NHL hockey. Some would call it a form of cheating. But they got their guy.

It's getting old. personally, I hope it is over for both teams. i suspect big things now. No more excuses. i am sick of the long flights and expenses year after year. but I would love to see Brady in game 2 and not beating some second string chump. I pay huge for these games like others I'm sure. i was jacked when we beat the Vikes last year in a game where the team sucked for arounf 55 minutes.

Looking for these things like a game 2 suspension by a great QB is not something the Kelly teams would even consider as a advantage. here fans some of which have never seen the team in the playoffs are jacked that we may beat them because of a crap QB. Myself lets beat em at full strength. it tastes better. IMO.

I'm always struck by the undying pessimism of some fans. Okay, plenzmd1. Let's play your game.

I can recall a time when the idea of a Buffalo team landing just one top free agent, much less a bunch of them, was a foolish dream.

I can recall a time when it was less than 50/50 that we could retain our top free agents.

I can recall a time when top coaches would laugh at us when we had openings to fill.

I can recall a time when Buffalo was the butt of every joke from every national media figure.

I can recall a time when vultures circled both our sports teams, waiting for one owner to drop dead!!

I ESPECIALLY recall a time when TBD'ers would dream of a savior to not only keep our teams here but be able to spend enough to make them competitive.

So what do I read now?

"We haven't won anything yet, Promo."

"You thought Marrone was going to be good, Promo."

And people say I lack perspective.

I did not do a good job explaining myself PTR..My fault

I was giddy the day Marone left..I am giddy now....I am over the top excited for both teams.

My point was the day Marone opted out....you were the "typical" Buffalo fan you often chastise here. You were extremely pissed he walked. Paraphrasing here as too lazy to find exact quote, but your words were " hope the Bills suck next year cause you people make me ill...typical Buffalo can't be happy"

All I am saying is your tune has changed in the last six months and you have come to your senses LOL

People with your attitude never do.

Couldn't agree more Promo...

What a great day! This roster is really coming together nicely. GMTM is picking up 23 and 24 year olds that already have have 4 or 5 years of NHL experience, someone else has already taken the time to develop them and GMTM plucks them in what should be their prime years. I love these moves. They're risky, and bold, but on paper are great. Anything can happen on ice, but it's been a great off season. Can't remember the last time I was excited about both the Bills and the Sabres upcoming seasons, great stuff....

Talbot trade today makes the Lehner one look like GMTM gave up way too much, but I still am not too upset. If Lehner plays well then he got his guy and it doesn't matter imo. He's 4 yrs younger than Talbot, and Talbot wants paid. Too soon to judge the trade until we see the team, and the oreilly trade looks great on paper.

Talbot trade today makes the Lehner one look like GMTM gave up way too much, but I still am not too upset. If Lehner plays well then he got his guy and it doesn't matter imo. He's 4 yrs younger than Talbot, and Talbot wants paid. Too soon to judge the trade until we see the team, and the oreilly trade looks great on paper.

IMO, He overpaid regardless. Should have exercised more patience with the abundance of available goalies.

@BuffaloSabres

ALERT: With the #51 pick in the 2015 #NHLDraft, the #Sabres select D-man Brendan Guhle of @PARaidersHockey. #SabresDraft2015

@SabresProspects

The #Sabres select D Brendan Guhle 51st overall. Beautiful skater. Solid physical presence. Was great at CHL Top Prospects Game.

A heads-up defenseman who can really take a beating and dish it out as well. Built like a tank; grueling play doesn't phase him. Calm, collected, and poised with the puck; great body and stick positioning without the puck. Reliable at both ends of the ice and can be trusted with a hefty amount of ice time. All-in-all, a defenseman who strives to be difficult to play against, consistently, with and without the puck. (Curtis Joe, EP 2015)
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

So, So, True. LOL

Flame away tin man.

You must be a blast at parties......like the guy everyone hopes will go home so the real party can begin.

Just sayin