Clemson OT Isaiah Battle to enter Supplemental draft

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked up how the supplemental draft works. In case I'm not the only one who didn't know... Each team interested in a player submits the round for which they would draft him. Then there is a process where the player is awarded to the team with the combination of the worst record/submitted the highest round. The team then forfeits their pick in that round the following year.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Did anyone get caught just watching Watkins :)

So pathetic that college coaches can figure out how to get Watkins the ball better than NFL ones. Of course, Clemson > Cuse.

And Ryan should know this guy well. He seems to fit the mold of some of the guys we have acquired this offseason. Some off the field issues but talented. The last guy to get drafted in the supplemental draft was Josh Gordon. Not sure if that is good or bad.

But if we can spend a 4th on Byrce Brown, I'd def spend a 4th on a potential starting OT.

So pathetic that college coaches can figure out how to get Watkins the ball better than NFL ones. Of course, Clemson > Cuse.

And Ryan should know this guy well. He seems to fit the mold of some of the guys we have acquired this offseason. Some off the field issues but talented. The last guy to get drafted in the supplemental draft was Josh Gordon. Not sure if that is good or bad.

But if we can spend a 4th on Byrce Brown, I'd def spend a 4th on a potential starting OT.

gordon's issues were much deeper than this kid's (from what I know). Gordon had been kicked off of teams and busted for drugs multiple times. He had (has) an attitude and work ethic problem in addition to all of that. Doesn't appear that Battle has all that much baggage, but I haven't done a ton of research. A 4th would be wise imo if they have him rated higher than that going into 2016, as our OT depth is so thin we have to sign Wayne hunter off of his couch.

gordon's issues were much deeper than this kid's (from what I know). Gordon had been kicked off of teams and busted for drugs multiple times. He had (has) an attitude and work ethic problem in addition to all of that. Doesn't appear that Battle has all that much baggage, but I haven't done a ton of research. A 4th would be wise imo if they have him rated higher than that going into 2016, as our OT depth is so thin we have to sign Wayne hunter off of his couch.

Yeah, two different guys for sure. Battle did get kicked out of a game for punching a player. But hopefully that is competitive fire.

It's the supplemental draft. These guys are there for a reason. Hopefully, he is worth the risk.

I think we would need a third to get this guy, considering there would be so many lesser teams in front of us in the fourth round. But the supplemental draft is strange because of the baggage factor. I would be thrilled to get a guy like that in the third round.

Yeah, two different guys for sure. Battle did get kicked out of a game for punching a player. But hopefully that is competitive fire.

It's the supplemental draft. These guys are there for a reason. Hopefully, he is worth the risk.

sounds like he's Rex's type ;)

Ok so what round? If they really want him will a 3rd do it? And is it too much?

It depends.

If they evaluate him, and see a player that could've potentially been a 1st or 2nd round pick (based on ability) had he performed well in 2015, then a 3rd is probably the right bid. I'd probably go no higher than a 4th...often times, these supplemental draft prospects are hyped a lot more than they're actually valued.

It depends.

If they evaluate him, and see a player that could've potentially been a 1st or 2nd round pick (based on ability) had he performed well in 2015, then a 3rd is probably the right bid. I'd probably go no higher than a 4th...often times, these supplemental draft prospects are hyped a lot more than they're actually valued.

There are 10 teams in tier one, I'd venture to guess they could all use a tackle. They all get first crack. The bills are tier two with nine other teams. If they really want him can a fourth do it?

There are 10 teams in tier one, I'd venture to guess they could all use a tackle. They all get first crack. The bills are tier two with nine other teams. If they really want him can a fourth do it?

Maybe...I mean, if they really like him, as in "value him as a 1st-round talent", then they probably ought to go higher, since it's unlikely they'll be the only team that does so. So in that case, no, a 4th won't get it done.

If they think he's got the potential to be a 1st-round guy, then bid a 3rd because it's definitely a risk-reward scenario.

If they see him as a flawed player that would potentially go in the 1st based on raw ability, but would need to be coached up (which I'm guessing is how he'll be viewed), then bid a 4th, because the early return just won't be there.

Ask and ye shall receive:

Note: he's playing RT (#79) in the above video...Brandon Thomas was still around at LT

Looks like he disengages a lot and gets beat with outside moves regularly... When he crashes down he looked good, but who doesn't.... Seemed more like a Sammy highlight film than anything else, lol

My only concern with bringing in another young OT is that Kujo and Henderson and then Battle would all be coming up for contract renewals at about the same time. OTs are well paid and if all three are good the total price will be difficult to work under the salary cap.

My only concern with bringing in another young OT is that Kujo and Henderson and then Battle would all be coming up for contract renewals at about the same time. OTs are well paid and if all three are good the total price will be difficult to work under the salary cap.

1st world problems man...we should be so lucky.

If they go out and get Battle, I would imagine it would be to compete with Henderson and Kouandjio next offseason when Glenn is allowed to walk. I also wonder if it would serve as an impetus to move Glenn to LG this year if--and only if--Kouandjio looks like he can handle the RT spot.

1st world problems man...we should be so lucky.

If they go out and get Battle, I would imagine it would be to compete with Henderson and Kouandjio next offseason when Glenn is allowed to walk. I also wonder if it would serve as an impetus to move Glenn to LG this year if--and only if--Kouandjio looks like he can handle the RT spot.

I'm guessing he's not ground and pound enough for our current coaches. Looked good to me in pass protection and getting to the next blocking level. I like what the coaches asked of him. It will be interesting to see how the off field stuff affects him - might go much lower than his talent level.

didnt attend his pro day, fwiw

@RavensInsider: ARZ, SF, GB, OAK, TEN, NYJ, MIA, WR, DET, SEA, SD, ATL, RAMS, TB attending West Georgia Pro Day

@NFL

7 players eligible for the 2015 Supplemental Draft: http://bit.ly/1LYmGXU

CI8-_BdWsAA4Ff1.jpg

Joining Battle in the draft are West Georgia defensive tackle Dalvon Stuckey and defensive end Darrius Caldwell, Houston defensive end Eric Eiland, UConn tight end Sean McQuillan, Kansas defensive back Kevin Short and North Carolina Central wide receiver Adrian Wilkins.

The supplemental draft will be held July 9.

didnt attend his pro day, fwiw

@RavensInsider: ARZ, SF, GB, OAK, TEN, NYJ, MIA, WR, DET, SEA, SD, ATL, RAMS, TB attending West Georgia Pro Day

As our head coach should be pretty familiar I wouldn't read too much either way. I'm not expecting it but not being on the list doesn't change my perception

As our head coach should be pretty familiar I wouldn't read too much either way. I'm not expecting it but not being on the list doesn't change my perception

Thats right, I forgot his son plays at Clemson.

I wonder if Rex ever goes down there swinging kettlebells?

Taking place today, not sure if Bills are there

@MikeReiss: Clemson OL Isaiah Battle, eligible for Thursday supplemental draft, has 26 NFL clubs on hand for his Pro Day today, per school official.

I would guesstimate that there is a 81.25% chance they are there.

I would guesstimate that there is a 81.25% chance they are there.

Rex probably knows about this guy, good or bad. A pro day isn't going to show them anything they probably don't know already. A good poker move is to not show up if you are really interested.

There's also a chance the guy has more issues than the media knows about too.