Bills' Mandatory Minicamp: June 16-18

I guess you missed the Losman era. :)

Manuel was bad but he had Watt on his knees all game. I've never seen an oline get female dog slapped like that. And there's a lot to like about Woods but he needs to control himself more. He got kicked out of a game his rookie year for being dumb.

Was that the game woods threw a couple fits but also dropped a key 3rd down? I remember being unimpressed by his demeanor that day, despite being a fan of his

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ravens, with their classic drop back scheme designed for Flacco, would have been unlikely to have kept Taylor so long (or wanted to resign him) if all he could do is run.

Teams aren't going to throw out their playbook if the starting QB goes down, even if it's a guy who never goes down like Flacco...

I'm willing to go along with this line of thinking.

I just wish we'd have a bit more of an indication that Taylor has made that transition. Last time I saw him play an entire game of football, he was a far cry from being a pocket passer.

GO BILLS!!!

I know you feel strongly on that game. How much weight do you think that JJ Watt playing lights out and our line being a mess factor into EJs issue that day though?

I'm curious if you have gone back to re watch it or might be a little too strongly swayed by the emotion of being there and the theatrics of the experience. Absolutely not a knock on your football acumen - just surprised me that you feel THAT strongly about the single game. I'm not arguing he was good, just that having a DE take over a game like that, and not getting a lot of help from teammates or coaches skew me away from final judgement on what I saw as a bad day (and not the worst ever even without mitigating factors)

OMG, was JJ Watt good. He was unbelievable that day and it certainly played a big role.

I've admitted that sometimes that game skews my

memory. I was frustrated from the week before already. When I think that though, I come back to the fact that he hasn't started another game, they signed a FA (tried to sign another) and traded for a guy to compete for the job. Clearly, the Bills don't feel that it was a rough couple of weeks. They began to really question if he could be the answer.

EJ was put in a difficult situation without question. There is no denying that. I really like the guy and want him to be good. He feels like a franchise QB. At this point he just doesn't play like one.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I would suggest none. I think it was Marrone getting Orton in . pure and simple conspiracy theory on my part.

How many pass plays? against a nasty pass rush that was winning big time. nope, keep passing em Nate. somethings gotta give!!!

I don't like to suggest conspiracy but it wouldn't shock me to see Doug hurt himself to try and prove a point - as ugly as the idea of putting a player in a position to fail is. I don't think he'd say "let's screw this player over" but I could see "oh let's show DW just what EJ looks like if we try to put it on his shoulders" similar to the feeling of "fine I'll go for it on 4th just to say I told you so if it doesn't work"

That game was just so frustrating all around.

OMG, was JJ Watt good. He was unbelievable that day and it certainly played a big role.

I've admitted that sometimes that game skews my

memory. I was frustrated from the week before already. When I think that though, I come back to the fact that he hasn't started another game, they signed a FA (tried to sign another) and traded for a guy to compete for the job. Clearly, the Bills don't feel that it was a rough couple of weeks. They began to really question if he could be the answer.

EJ was put in a difficult situation without question. There is no denying that. I really like the guy and want him to be good. He feels like a franchise QB. At this point he just doesn't play like one.

Oh I hear you on him having not earned the job. It'd be crazy to think he should walk in unchallenged. I'm just keeping the door a little more open I think. We will see where he ends up with time.

Makes a little more sense with the qualifier. Though part of me suspects having a college qb in your ear criticizing might have still impacted a little extra.

170 live? That's season tickets for 20+ years? Seemed higher than I would've expected, even as a guy that I know has seen A LOT.

Every game (plus preseason & playoffs from 1988-1999 120ish), every game again from 2003-2006 (no playoffs :( 40) and an average of 3 games a year over the last 8 year (24). It's a lot (not as many as I would like though).

Again, I may have been particularly tough on that one day but please go back and watch. I promise that it was worse than you remember.

Edit: About 2 a year from 1999-2002 that I forgot about. It is about 190 I guess.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

My hope is that our edge weapons are the difference between here and SF.

It takes defenders to set the edge. Players who have to commit to the box. If this can be read pre-snap, the adjustment, I would guess, is to get the ball to the players on the outside. We have better players on the outside so if teams do commit to stopping the rollout then we can just get the balls in the hands of Sammy or Percy.

Great point and I agree. I think our speed on the outside can hurt most teams, regardless of how good they are at holding a corner. But how often do you plan on using rolling pockets or rollouts? It's a nice change of pace play that, with our speed guys on the edge, can really hurt a defense, as you say. But it can't be your bread and butter. It's just too easy for a defense to defend when they only have to defend a third of the field.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't like to suggest conspiracy but it wouldn't shock me to see Doug hurt himself to try and prove a point - as ugly as the idea of putting a player in a position to fail is. I don't think he'd say "let's screw this player over" but I could see "oh let's show DW just what EJ looks like if we try to put it on his shoulders" similar to the feeling of "fine I'll go for it on 4th just to say I told you so if it doesn't work"

That game was just so frustrating all around.

Oh I hear you on him having not earned the job. It'd be crazy to think he should walk in unchallenged. I'm just keeping the door a little more open I think. We will see where he ends up with time.

well it most certainly was Ollie!

I expect much more from the line and blocking altogether this year. and the receivers of course. hope they will have confidence to run those routes completely and trust in the coaches and QB to not get them killed waiting for the ball

Believe it or not, I agree EJ was bad against Houston... Just not the worst game a QB has ever had.

Of course thats true.

I saw the game that EJ played last year in Houston and it was the worst game that I have ever seen a guy play. That isn't hyperbole either. It is burned into my memory. There were guys running free all over the field that he just didn't see. He was regressing when he got pulled and looked completely lost.

I know that he hasn't had the best coaching or opportunities but he looks like a less decisive Trent Edwards at this point. I hope that I am wrong but I have seen some qualities that I don't think can be overcome. It has nothing to do with the stats to me and everything to do with the things that he struggles with. He has trouble seeing the field and with accuracy. He has the personality and build to be a good QB.

In some ways to me it is like Spiller if this makes sense. Spiller will never be a great RB because he can't see the holes. He may be a good offensive weapon but vision is a necessity to be a good RB. These traits to me are inate and not things that you improve upon. You can improve upon arm strength but anticipation is instinctual. It is a feel for the game and I can't think of anyone that ever developed that. To me, Fitz was really good at that but he is so limited physically that he could never overcome it.

Taylor to me is the unknown. He has an effortless motion and is a great athlete. I'm willing to see if he can combine these traits as he has never been given a chance to do so. I don't think that EJ can develop instincts and I don't think that Cassel can develop physical skills. Again, I am not thrilled with the options but he has as much of a chance as anyone.

This doesn't even beat the Geno v Bills game

Great point and I agree. I think our speed on the outside can hurt most teams, regardless of how good they are at holding a corner. But how often do you plan on using rolling pockets or rollouts? It's a nice change of pace play that, with our speed guys on the edge, can really hurt a defense, as you say. But it can't be your bread and butter. It's just too easy for a defense to defend when they only have to defend a third of the field.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah very good point. Obviously not the bread and butter, but I expect to see a lot of option type plays. I think the optimal D&D would be second and short/medium for this type of option play. If theres a big hole in the middle, then you hand it off. If there is an open receiver, then you throw the intermediate/long pass. If neither are there (I have to imagine because there are so many defenders everywhere elsewhere), then take the free first down and get down.

I used to be all over these practice reports. However, having gone to the steelers/bills practice sessions last year, I came away with the opinion that no spectator really can judge anything that is going on. There's just too much going on, and QBs are throwing to PS scrubs who are running free against broken coverages--- just makes it silly to evaluate QBs.

If EJ vs Houston as the worst game you've seen a QB play, you need to watch more football.

Billy Joe Hobert's never-looked-at-the-playbook game is one that comes to mind. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Bad news for #Bama OT Cyrus Kouandjio. I’m told several teams have failed him on his physical. Arthritic knee from failed surgery. “Ugly.”

Facing this new reality, the 49ers turned the typical meeting, which on some teams can go for as long as two hours, into 30-minute blocks, each followed by 10-minute breaks that allow players to do what young people do. That is, as Tomsula puts it, to “go grab your phone, do your multitasking and get your fix” before returning the meeting.
Edited by ALF

Bad news for #Bama OT Cyrus Kouandjio. I’m told several teams have failed him on his physical. Arthritic knee from failed surgery. “Ugly.”

Facing this new reality, the 49ers turned the typical meeting, which on some teams can go for as long as two hours, into 30-minute blocks, each followed by 10-minute breaks that allow players to do what young people do. That is, as Tomsula puts it, to “go grab your phone, do your multitasking and get your fix” before returning the meeting.

Random semi related link/content dump?