Eagles released Evan Mathis

I guess I'm not sure how much money you want to commit to a guy who is scheme-specific and turns 35 this year. If the Bills think he is a great fit for our scheme and worth the money that's fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is not going to be the case

how many years, as well?

Say Miami wants to pay him $10mm for the next two years and $6mm for a third. Maybe we offer him 4 years, $7mm. Etc

But I am weary of a guy like Mathis who is so old, wants so much money and behaved like he did forcing himself out.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unpopular opinion alert: is Mathis possibly getting overrated, Tyson Clabo style? I don't pretend to watch G play like some of you. I think he is a good player. I also think he became a "great" G playing next to Peters in a offense that completely tires out defenses for a great playcaller.

Next to receiver, G is the most dependent position in the NFL. The better the players are around them, the better they will look.

I'm all for them bringing him in if they like him. But he is after strictly money (don't fault him at all) and he might be overrated.

almost certainly overrated.

may still be a nice step up though.

I guess I'm not sure how much money you want to commit to a guy who is scheme-specific and turns 35 this year. If the Bills think he is a great fit for our scheme and worth the money that's fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if that is not going to be the case

how many years, as well?

Say Miami wants to pay him $10mm for the next two years and $6mm for a third. Maybe we offer him 4 years, $7mm. Etc

But I am weary of a guy like Mathis who is so old, wants so much money and behaved like he did forcing himself out.

It's so tempting to see a player like this at such a position of need and want to squeeze him under the cap. But the more I think about it, the dumber that would be. I've been critical of the Bills FA spending already - and some of those players (like Clay) are young enough to be around for awhile if they are worth it. Mathis would be going after an expensive, older player who would really start to majorly mess up the cap situation and likely wouldn't be here in 3 years. F that. The only thing I give him a pass on is wanting out of Chip Kelly's kingdom, I don't blame any player for that at this point.

I wonder if McCoy will reach out to him about Buffalo and try to talk him into coming here

I was willing to deal a 3rd for him before the draft and I would still love him on the team now.

I'm not worried about the contract. I feel that since the Pegula's took over, JO knows how to structure a contract so that it benifits both sides

CBF

He's turning 34 Nov 1. He's not a great fit for the Bills blocking scheme. In Carolina, Cinci and Philly he played in a zone blocking scheme, which perfectly fits his size and athleticism. Roman and Rex will be running power/man. At 300 lbs Mathis is not a road grading mauler, which is the direction the Bills have gone and what their current O line personnel are cut out for. So Mathis would likely not be as good and as comfortable here than with a team that zone blocks. That could also impact his decision making.

As for the money issue, I may be missing something. Eagles claim to have tried hard to trade him (and his current contract) without anyone showing any interest. One would think that some guard needy team like the Bills might have offered a 7th if they were that interested. Apparently he was happy to play for the very small increase the former GM had promised him for this year but when Chip took that off the table he got his nose out of joint. My guess is that he will not be getting a (much) better contract than he had (and maybe even less).

Probably some team will dicker with the contract terms a bit (guaranteed money, contract term) to let him save face but ultimately he gets about equivalent consideration as what he was to get in Philly. Maybe we can deal with the money.

Would he upgrade our line? Absolutely he would, and that's a good thing in the circumstances we are in. The fact that he's played with and is familiar with McCoy is also a real positive. But i think some fans are maybe going a little overboard in their expectations.

He's turning 34 Nov 1. He's not a great fit for the Bills blocking scheme. In Carolina, Cinci and Philly he played in a zone blocking scheme, which perfectly fits his size and athleticism. Roman and Rex will be running power/man. At 300 lbs Mathis is not a road grading mauler, which is the direction the Bills have gone and what their current O line personnel are cut out for. So Mathis would likely not be as good and as comfortable here than with a team that zone blocks. That could also impact his decision making.

As for the money issue, I may be missing something. Eagles claim to have tried hard to trade him (and his current contract) without anyone showing any interest. One would think that some guard needy team like the Bills might have offered a 7th if they were that interested. Apparently he was happy to play for the very small increase the former GM had promised him for this year but when Chip took that off the table he got his nose out of joint. My guess is that he will not be getting a (much) better contract than he had (and maybe even less).

Probably some team will dicker with the contract terms a bit (guaranteed money, contract term) to let him save face but ultimately he gets about equivalent consideration as what he was to get in Philly. Maybe we can deal with the money.

Would he upgrade our line? Absolutely he would, and that's a good thing in the circumstances we are in. The fact that he's played with and is familiar with McCoy is also a real positive. But i think some fans are maybe going a little overboard in their expectations.

I have yet to read/hear any credible report about the Eagles "trying hard" to trade him. All I have read is there were some discussions, and an almost trade, during the draft.

And you are correct, he has been in a zone blocking scheme for the most part. Has he ever been asked to play the way he would have to with the Bills? What I'm asking is it clear he isn't good at it, or just that he hasn't demonstrated it due to the scheme his teams have played?

Still, I'll take him over Williams, and probably Incognito.

I have yet to read/hear any credible report about the Eagles "trying hard" to trade him. All I have read is there were some discussions, and an almost trade, during the draft.

And you are correct, he has been in a zone blocking scheme for the most part. Has he ever been asked to play the way he would have to with the Bills? What I'm asking is it clear he isn't good at it, or just that he hasn't demonstrated it due to the scheme his teams have played?

chip said he has been available for trade for 2 years and they received no offers.

chip said he has been available for trade for 2 years and they received no offers.

That's hardly "trying hard" to trade him. Actively working the phones, proposing deals, etc, is trying hard.

With that said, I'd be surprised if they received no offers (Chip Kelly not 100& truthful? What?), but maybe Chip meant no credible offers. Perhaps interest in a trade was shown, but the Eagles let the asking price known, and it was artificially high. Or as some have speculated, maybe teams just counted on Chipper simply cutting him. After all, he said he would have cut McCoy.

I can't direct you to the site unfortunately but I do recall Chip being reported as saying they did try.

Idk but I suspect he would be good in any blocking scheme, just that he would logically be better, possibly much better, in the one he is used to and that physically he is better cut out for and that it might affect his own decision making. But he's a great player and I agree he is in a different universe than say Chris Williams. Kyle Williams is not a nose tackle but he can play it with some accomplishment because he's a heck of defensive tackle. I expect Mathis would certainly be good and a significant upgrade.

That's hardly "trying hard" to trade him. Actively working the phones, proposing deals, etc, is trying hard.

With that said, I'd be surprised if they received no offers (Chip Kelly not 100& truthful? What?), but maybe Chip meant no credible offers. Perhaps interest in a trade was shown, but the Eagles let the asking price known, and it was artificially high. Or as some have speculated, maybe teams just counted on Chipper simply cutting him. After all, he said he would have cut McCoy.

And he did cut Jackson, who was coming off a Pro Bowl year.

I think what Kelly is doing is great in theory, however, mimicking what Bellicheat does ignores one small detail, and that's having TB as your QB. With Brady, Belicheat could offload his high priced players, and look like a genius, however, Kelly does not have that same luxury, and will be exposed this year, IMO.

Tim-

@spotrac

NEW: 5 Potential “Cause & Effect” moves that make sense for the #Chiefs, #Vikings, #Bills, #Seahawks, & #Broncos http://bit.ly/1JKjDoq

Holy crud. I'm multitasking and clicked the link and found the section that says "Bills release G Chris Williams; Sign Evan Mathis" and my heart skipped a beat.

Potential moves, potential. . . . Okay, I'm back.

Why would you say that? He is one of the fresher, brighter minds in a league filled with idiots.

Just because he is not afraid to cut players, it still remains to be seen how successful his plan will be. As Bills fans, we are all aware of how fleeting talent is, and how hard it is to come by. Just because being an un-sentimental prick has worked for Belichek, it doesn't necessarily mean it works for Chip Kelly. Perhaps it will, but this sentiment (fresh, brighter mind) is all based on perception, rather than reality at this point. He has won some games his first two seasons in Philly, but a large part of that was with the talent he inherited from Andy Reids' time there...lets' see how he does after he guts his team, and re-builds on the fly.

Edited by Buftex