MMQB: 2 Bills assistants looked at as future HC candidates

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/06/10/nfl-future-head-coaching-candidates-adam-gase-josh-mcdaniels-teryl-austin/

The Next 32: The Men in Line to Become Bosses

The MMQB sought out the guidance of 24 respected football mindsagents, coaches, scouts, plugged-in reporters and front office executivesto compile a list of those who might become NFL head coaches. Remember, its an unscientific study of something that cannot be studied in a scientific way.

Greg Roman

Anthony Lynn

Edited by YoloinOhio

Nooooooooo!!!

I'd put Marrone under the "Something to Prove" category.

He was just a HC last year and is now an OL coach/assistant HC

He built his case while in the NFL and Syracuse. Then destroyed his case with the Bills.

Edited by LeGOATski

Tough business when 3 consecutive division titles and contention for them NFC championship plus a Superbowl appearance gets a guy on the "something to prove" list, but winning the Pinstripe bowl at Syracuse and quitting on a 9-7 team gets you "building a case".

This was the one negative that went through my mind when the Bills hired Roman. If the best case scenario happens and he is able to turn this offense around with a purely defensive minded head coach and no real QB to speak of, he'll be gone.

Of course that's not a reason to pass on a good coach, but we'll be back to the drawing board if he gets a head coaching job next year.

I've wondered if having Chris Palmer around is potentially a plan for him to take over to have continuity with the offense if Roman were to leave

if the Bills make the playoffs and have the best running game in the league then Roman might jump to the top of that list. this job is like a "prove it" job where if he can show he can take a team and turn around their offense then he will be a highly sought after coach. he had HC interviews last year but they probably wanted to see him do it on another team first to prove that it wasn't Harbaugh's influence that did the trick in SF.

•Not surprisingly, the Seahawks lead the league in potential head coaches according to our poll, with three (Darrel Bevell, Tom Cable and Kris Richard). The Chargers, Patriots, Bears, Colts and Lions each boast two on the list.

Ummm....and the Bills.

I've wondered if having Chris Palmer around is potentially a plan for him to take over to have continuity with the offense if Roman were to leave

i recall reading the succession plan is Aaron Kromer. He was hired in part for OL coach because of his OC experience should Roman get a HC position down the line and could continue the same system.

Not surprisingly, the Seahawks lead the league in potential head coaches according to our poll, with three (Darrel Bevell, Tom Cable and Kris Richard). The Chargers, Patriots, Bears, Colts and Lions each boast two on the list.

Ummm....and the Bills.

noticed that too. Lol

This was the one negative that went through my mind when the Bills hired Roman. If the best case scenario happens and he is able to turn this offense around with a purely defensive minded head coach and no real QB to speak of, he'll be gone.

Of course that's not a reason to pass on a good coach, but we'll be back to the drawing board if he gets a head coaching job next year.

The good news is?

- We now have a deep pocket owner

- There is no cap on how much you can pay coaches

Let's wait and see how the O actually does under Roman, shall we? I can remember the same worry being expressed about Wannstache (*wwwaaahhh wwwaaahhhh wwwaaaahhhh*).

And lo, we know the result of that worry. Then about Pettine. And lo, we know that while the D was improved under him, it was even better under Schwartz, who for some reason no one wants for HC at all.

Wait and see.

Just match his pay to whatever HC job is out there. No cap on coaches.

Meh. Most of these guys have Great Big Egos and want to be The Man and prove that they can do it...and there are only 32 NFL HC jobs in the world

Let's wait and see how the O actually does under Roman, shall we? I can remember the same worry being expressed about Wannstache (*wwwaaahhh wwwaaahhhh wwwaaaahhhh*).

And lo, we know the result of that worry. Then about Pettine. And lo, we know that while the D was improved under him, it was even better under Schwartz, who for some reason no one wants for HC at all.

Wait and see.

Meh. Most of these guys have Great Big Egos and want to be The Man and prove that they can do it...and there are only 32 NFL HC jobs in the world

Yea but most fail, maybe knowing you can have a solid foundation for your family with great pay is worth it. Edited by Beef Jerky

People worried about this with Wannstadt? Crazy.

I only remember it with Pettine. That was justifiable.

The good news is?

- We now have a deep pocket owner

- There is no cap on how much you can pay coaches

You aren't likely to keep a coordinator that is being offered a HC job, no matter the money. It happens, but it's pretty rare. The money will be helpful bringing in new talent, but just like the draft bringing in a new OC is a crap shoot.

Wait and see.

And in the meantime...sit on my thumbs? I'm just talking here about a possible eventuality, pretty much 98% of the offseason discussion.

Edited by Acantha

Roman has been talked about as a HC candidate for many years, but has been repeatedly passed over. At this point I have to think there's a valid reason he hasn't gotten that HC gig he seems to want pretty badly (judging by the interviews he has done). Or maybe it's just been bad luck and now owners are gun shy. That happens. And sometimes guys are just much better coordinators or position coaches than stepping up a level. I don't know what's up, but I'd love to.

The nicest part about the BILLS having potential HC candidates on their staff is that there are potential HC candidates on the staff. That means the new ownership is doing something that Ralph was the worst at: spending money on coaching talent.

Based on that list, nearly every team has a "potential HC" on the staff.

Lynn is not a potential HC. I can't see that ever happening for a guy who has been around for 15 years and is still a RB coach. He's only here (anywhere?) because Rex is a loyal guy and brought nearly his whole Jets staff with him.

You aren't likely to keep a coordinator that is being offered a HC job, no matter the money. It happens, but it's pretty rare. The money will be helpful bringing in new talent, but just like the draft bringing in a new OC is a crap shoot.

And in the meantime...sit on my thumbs? I'm just talking here about a possible eventuality, pretty much 98% of the offseason discussion.

Thought that was his point. Even if the Bills lose a coordinator to a HC job somewhere, they will be in the mix, at worse, to get the next coordinator that'll be in the mix for HC openings.

The nicest part about the BILLS having potential HC candidates on their staff is that there are potential HC candidates on the staff. That means the new ownership is doing something that Ralph was the worst at: spending money on coaching talent.

As you know though, Ralph really was cheap.