Forget the stat line. Who looked better EJ or TT?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EJ’s last game in college (has all his passes I think)…

:54 unfreaking real play fake
5:40 great scrambling ability
6:30 very impressive scrambling w/ TD pass to the corner
9:32: sick QB draw TD from 10 yard line
EJ was always a guy who should have had two or three years on the bench to learn the NFL game because he was just plain raw (mentally, emotionally and mechanically). If an NFL team did this then they could very well have a bonified franchise QB on their hands because he is someone who would apply themselves to the fullest to get the most out of his abilities. If we start seeing EJ get a handle on things then look out, it's on.
The EJ haters sadly continue to play a very silly and simple game of “See, I told you he doesn’t have it!” with a QB who needed actual, old fashioned DEVELOPMENT.
Imagine when EJ will be able to comfortably apply those sick skills he showed in his last college game in the NFL. Will he always have a few clunkers and probably never be considered an all pro passer? Sure. But there’s so much more a QB can do to win ball games. EJ has those kind of intangible 4th quarter, go win the game skills that helps negate not having the gleaming top passing stats.

EJs last game in college (has all his passes I think)

EJ was always a guy who should have had two or three years on the bench to learn the NFL game because he was just plain raw (mentally, emotionally and mechanically). If an NFL team did this then they could very well have a bonified franchise QB on their hands because he is someone who would apply themselves to the fullest to get the most out of his abilities. If we start seeing EJ get a handle on things then look out, it's on.

The EJ haters sadly continue to play a very silly and simple game of See, I told you he doesnt have it! with a QB who needed actual, old fashioned DEVELOPMENT.

Imagine when EJ will be able to comfortably apply those sick skills he showed in his last college game in the NFL. Will he always have a few clunkers and probably never be considered an all pro passer? Sure. But theres so much more a QB can do to win ball games. EJ has those kind of intangible 4th quarter, go win the game skills that helps negate not having the gleaming top passing stats.

Agreed. I just hope that the relentless drum of "he can't play" by the press and some fans hasn't completely beat the confidence out of him. I also expect a firestorm of criticism for every int and incomplete pass in camp and preseason - much more so than the other QBs will get. He will have to be very strong to overcome that.

I get the desire for TT, but put me in the camp of the doubters. When I lived in Virginia, I was beat over the head by the media with this kid and his perpetual upside, only to never see it realized. Ever. A play here, or and early upset win over a powerhouse there mean nothing when you can't beat a 1AA defense the following week. An enigma wrapped in Under Armour.

The only tape on Taylor is against college kids and late camp cuts. That tells me most of what I need to know. It is more likely the coaching staff is talking him up to increase competition, than them thinking he has a legit chance to start.

I will happily eat a plate of crow if I am wrong, served Buffalo style, of course.

The EJ haters sadly continue to play a very silly and simple game of “See, I told you he doesn’t have it!” with a QB who needed actual, old fashioned DEVELOPMENT.
Imagine when EJ will be able to comfortably apply those sick skills he showed in his last college game in the NFL. Will he always have a few clunkers and probably never be considered an all pro passer? Sure. But there’s so much more a QB can do to win ball games. EJ has those kind of intangible 4th quarter, go win the game skills that helps negate not having the gleaming top passing stats.

The only thing I disagree with here is this. He has a great head on his shoulders and seems to be very emotionally balanced and also doesn't let the ridiculous nonstop criticism bother him. I think he's above it. I mean, just compare EJ to Jameis from an emotional standpoint. One is mature and smart and emotionally intelligent and the other is stuck in middle school.

The only thing I disagree with here is this. He has a great head on his shoulders and seems to be very emotionally balanced and also doesn't let the ridiculous nonstop criticism bother him. I think he's above it. I mean, just compare EJ to Jameis from an emotional standpoint. One is mature and smart and emotionally intelligent and the other is stuck in middle school.

I think maybe EJ was taken aback by the nonstop criticism a bit, but I'm hopeful that he's learned to let it wash

Sorry my bad, by "emotionally" I meant that he just did not seem to have the authenticity of being the leader yet. He just seemed like a man-child who would always say the right things but you knew he was just saying what people wanted to hear. I think now that he's turned 25 he's probably naturally grown out of that stage just being a couple of years older.

EJ:

TD !!!

Tyrod:

hit the broad side of a small barn in practice

Meh:

under thrown on purpose?, and catch able

Practice is not game film but I appreciate the effort.

before people over react on my input

It was all in jest ... hitting the porta john was kinda cool

First.....

Christ....sometimes

You called My son?

Basically EJ has to make one more completion per 30 attempts and people will be OK with him - if he makes 2 more completions per 30 attempts then the fans will love him- such is the fine line between being a winner or loser in the NFL.

Watching EJ highlights, I think it's unfair to call him inaccurate he's just very slightly too inconsistent in his accuracy.

Entering year 3, we are all imagining that...

You are talking about a bowl game versus the mighty Northern Illinois (fighthing northern illini?).

Could you show some highlights from his THIRD LAST college game? Or his SECOND LAST college game? I think he totalled just over 300 yards passing (combined) in those two games and 4-5 ints.

It is EJ Manuel in a nutshell....so much promise, but so inconsistent.

Entering year 3, we are all imagining that...

IMO if EJ isn't starting, making plays and winning games by mid season than that will be very disappointing because this truly is the "make or break" year we all should start seeing consistent signs that he's well on his way to becoming the long term franchise QB for the Bills.

There really should be a big jump in his level of play this year.

I love EJ, but something happened last year.

I remember watching the WR give up on plays over the middle. One particular play, early last year in the Preseason, I saw Robert Woods yell at EJ and say "Your going to &$!?@ kill me."

It was referring to a jump catchable pass in the middle...with the safety ready to nail Woods if he were to go for the ball.

As the begining of he season progressed, EJ had similar pass plays in the first few games--with similar results. The game against the Texans,the WR crew was not favoring EJ at all.

Edited by KollegeStudnet

I love EJ, but something happened last year.

I remember watching the WR give up on plays over the middle. One particular play, early last year in the Preseason, I saw Robert Woods yell at EJ and say "Your going to &$!?@ kill me."

It was referring to a jump catchable pass in the middle...with the safety ready to nail Woods if he were to go for the ball.

As the begining of he season progressed, EJ had similar pass plays in the first few games--with similar results. The game against the Texans,the WR crew was not favoring EJ at all.

This is how Andre Reed got into the Hall of Fame.

You are talking about a bowl game versus the mighty Northern Illinois (fighthing northern illini?).

Could you show some highlights from his THIRD LAST college game? Or his SECOND LAST college game? I think he totalled just over 300 yards passing (combined) in those two games and 4-5 ints.

It is EJ Manuel in a nutshell....so much promise, but so inconsistent.

You just pointed out the reason why he was considered too raw to pick in the first round. If he looked great in all those games than the Bills would have never had a shot at him. I was just showing a full college game example of him making the type of plays that transfer to the NFL level. It wasn't meant to be proof that he's ever going to make it. Just that there's hope he could.

Edited by 1billsfan

You just pointed out the reason why he was considered to raw to pick in the first round. If he looked great in all those games than the Bills would have never had a shot at him. I was just showing a full college game example of him making the type of plays that transfer to the NFL level. It wasn't meant to be proof that he's ever going to make it. Just that there's hope he could.

Is "too raw" the same as not good enough? Maybe rather than being raw he is just who he is...isn't that as likely? EJ started at least 3 years in college.....it wasn't like he only started his senior year (or never started, eh hem, Cassell).

I think it reflects his 10 year career and especially the last 4 years and 30 games where he put up 30 TDs and 34 INTS. That is pretty "meh"

I don't think there is a word that could sum up my feelings on the cassel signing any more than "meh" so I think it's a fair thing to call him for now. That being said, when I try and call our other qb "boyuel" everyone gets all butt hurt and acts like I'm insulting their five year old son's performance on the little league soccer team. And boyuel doesn't have two ten win seasons and a pro bowl under his belt. Edited by metzelaars_lives

Is "too raw" the same as not good enough? Maybe rather than being raw he is just who he is...isn't that as likely? EJ started at least 3 years in college.....it wasn't like he only started his senior year (or never started, eh hem, Cassell).

No, "too raw" was only meant regarding why he wasn't considered a first round pick. EJ was always a "boom or bust" type of QB prospect. Some never believed in him at all, some have closed the book after two years and some still believe he may develop into a winning franchise QB. I'm in the latter group up until around mid season this year. That's the point where he should have the playbook down pat and the experience to where the game slows down and he's becoming a consistently productive and winning starting QB.

so the response is to cut the boyuel and clean with alcohol?

how many 10 win seasons does Tyrod have?

No the response is to let it play out and may the best man win. But when "meh" cassel wins the job and plays well enough to lead us to ten wins and Manuel becomes another footnote, what will your nickname for him be?

yes, let it play out and let the best man win.

you don't just give the meh 10 year vet the consolidation prize for having the longest career.

No the response is to let it play out and may the best man win. But when "meh" cassel wins the job and plays well enough to lead us to ten wins and Manuel becomes another footnote, what will your nickname for him be?

first off you assume EJ will fail.

IF EJ wins the job and plays well enough to lead us to ten wins and meh once again becomes another footnote, what will your nickname for him be?

What would I call EJ - another failed attempt by Buffalo to secure a QB.

What would I call it if Meh wins the #1 job, - another failed attempt by Buffalo to secure a QB.

yes, let it play out and let the best man win.

you don't just give the meh 10 year vet the consolidation prize for having the longest career.

first off you assume EJ will fail.

IF EJ wins the job and plays well enough to lead us to ten wins and meh once again becomes another footnote, what will your nickname for him be?

What would I call EJ - another failed attempt by Buffalo to secure a QB.

What would I call it if Meh wins the #1 job, - another failed attempt by Buffalo to secure a QB.

Whats the point of EJ?

Herb...I am sure that Roman is getting visions of Russel WIlson when he looks at Taylor because they have similar skill set....

I am just talking about overall.....Cam.....hurt.....Dog Killer....always hurt.....Thad Lewis tryed to be a runner and almost got his body broke doing it.

You can have all the skill in the world.....but if your not on the field it wont matter...I would like to see a QB that the THREAT of him taking off actually slows down a pass rush because they are trying to contain him......and then having the ability to make those throws from the pocket for taking that approach on defense.

OK, not trying to hate here, I don't know if he can play the way Wilson does but, the little guys IE Flute, Wilson, Tarkington, don't seem to get hurt as much as the taller awkward QB's.

OK, not trying to hate here, I don't know if he can play the way Wilson does but, the little guys IE Flute, Wilson, Tarkington, don't seem to get hurt as much as the taller awkward QB's.

Because there are more of the taller awkward guys playing in the NFL.....they are able to see over the 6'7 offensive line better......

Now....before you go telling me that they see through the "gaps" of the offensive line......I am just saying that is the stereotype

I still maintain that if Doug Flutie would have come down from the CFL when he was younger he would have a nice long NFL career

Because there are more of the taller awkward guys playing in the NFL.....they are able to see over the 6'7 offensive line better......

Now....before you go telling me that they see through the "gaps" of the offensive line......I am just saying that is the stereotype

I still maintain that if Doug Flutie would have come down from the CFL when he was younger he would have a nice long NFL career

Flutie looked good until they started designing defense to stop him - keep him in the pocket, don't pass rush hard just push the pocket and keep your hands up, did they bring the secondary up too because he had loss arm strength? that part I'm unsure of.

I've stood next to Tarkington on more than one occasion (at a bar) he seems taller than six foot.

Whats the point of EJ?

thanks for asking

it is clear if you chose to read what has been said. Many others besides myself have been saying it for a while,

We don't know if EJ will succeed or not.

We know that the last meh 10 year pro failed to produce what we all wanted.

see comments like this

Gugny, on 05 Jun 2015 said:

I don't know why you need to come here and bash EJ every chance you get. We get it. You don't like him. But enough is enough.

Expecting a Brady* or Manning or Luck or Roethlisberger, or Wilson to pop up in Buffalo is not going to happen.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Flutie looked good until they started designing defense to stop him - keep him in the pocket, don't pass rush hard just push the pocket and keep your hands up, did they bring the secondary up too because he had loss arm strength? that part I'm unsure of.

I thought that was the part that did him in...he was older and lack of arm strength....

I hear TT throws a really nice deep ball

thanks for asking

it is clear if you chose to read what has been said. Many others besides myself have been saying it for a while,

We don't know if EJ will succeed or not.

We know that the last meh 10 year pro failed to produce what we all wanted.

see comments like this

Expecting a Brady* or Manning or Luck or Roethlisberger, or Wilson to pop up in Buffalo is not going to happen.

But whats the point of him? Why is there an EJ?

Well.... Ej Manuel was a regular NFL starter at one point and Tyrod was not... Let's face it, -Being an understudy to Joe Flacco is a permanent gig... I've liked Tyrod Taylor as an athlete since his Vatech days... His preseason work in the pro's has impressed me as well.... He's easily the best pure athlete out of all the QB hopefuls we have...

The question is, at this point, -does Tyrod really want the Job... sure, i think he can do it... But can he TAKE it? -Can he be effective enough in camp, and pre-seaze to wrest this position away from EJ and Matt... It'll be hard... But the Victor could be the best QB we've had in years... EJ and O'leary could have tremendous chemistry... they did at the collegiate level, and EJ should be ecstatic to see his old stand-by again. -That combo was lethal at FSU.

I like combos... Burger and fries.... Steak and Potatoes... Biscuits and Gravy... Kelly and Reed.. Montana and Rice... Rivers and Gates... Brady and Gronk :sick: .... Correction, I like ALMOST all combos... The point is, the best combo wins.. Tyrod is going to have to make at least one freind out there (receiver) and form a bond with him... OR that Chemistry between EJ and Nick has to emerge once again... Either way, It's all about the combo... And YES.. I WOULD like to supersize it!

Edited by #34fan