Brady/Patriots fines

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol::lol:

I thought for sure this was from an Onion article until I searched it and found that this is what the Pats are actually claiming!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm pretty sure the Onion writers are all dumbfounded on how they can write something based off of that report. I mean you can only get so stupid before you're not even writing anything.

Someone from the Pats organization actually looks at this and thought it was a good idea to put this out there. How does that happen?

I really don't get it. I expected the denial, just as I expect an appeal. But this is getting hilarious, and I would find it even funnier if I didn't have a nagging voice in my head saying that it will work.

I really don't get it. I expected the denial, just as I expect an appeal. But this is getting hilarious, and I would find it even funnier if I didn't have a nagging voice in my head saying that it will work.

IMO and after a ton of reading, Brady was suspended for two games for the act and two games for the uncooperation. They have no basis for appeal on the uncooperation because it was entirely reasonable, and Brady clearly lied as well. Jastremski even corroborated that Brady lied to the investigators. It's possible that he will get half of the two other games based on the actual deflating of the balls reduced from 2 to 1 but I ever find that hard to argue against. Regardless of actual proof, there is not a single sane person that believes Brady did not orchestrate it and Needledee and Needledum did it on their own. There is also zero chance it was just atmospheric.

Hubris.

which has to work against Brady in the appeal process... I mean, his whole attitude from the beginning has been condescending and "it's so ridiculous that I'm being questioned." I remember his press conf the week before the SB when he wore that stupid hat and laughed as he walked away from the podium, like " haha I'm tom !@#$ing brady, nothing will ever happen to me." He continued this attitude by giving the investigation his middle finger when asked for specific info from his phone. Then the arrogance of Kraft asking for an apology from the league

Now they have tried to come up with something so ridiculous that they think it is believable, to try to act like this is still a big joke. They continue to act like they are above the NFL. It is a compete insult to everyone's intelligence.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Thr 1 million fine is twice the maximum allowed by the CBA. It will be appealed and reduced, most likely.

Wrong, and wrong.

1) The CBA is between the players and the league, not the clubs and the league. What restrictions on discipline of clubs it states, it applies in two specific instances related to the relationship between the players and the league: salary cap violations and off-season workout violations (Article 16, Section 6(b) and Article 21, Section 8 respectively).

2) Even if you were to extrapolate those specific fines to a general restriction, the maximum fine against a club is $6.5 million. The maximum fine against a club executive is $500k...but the league didn't fine any executives, they fined the club.

The confusion in #2 probably comes from Irsay's case, who was fined the maximum allowed for an official, and ever since everyone seems to assume that's some sort of global maximum when it's not. But regardless, the idea that the CBA governs the relationship between the league offices and clubs is idiotic in the extreme - the league IS the clubs, they don't collectively bargain with themselves. :doh:

The current CBA is here, if you want to read it: http://nflcommunications.com/current-cba/ The appeals process, including discovery, is covered in Article 46 - and KTD has pretty much nailed it throughout this thread. The league can't demand evidence, merely request.

Edited by DC Tom

Wrong, and wrong.

1) The CBA is between the players and the league, not the clubs and the league. What restrictions on discipline of clubs it states, it applies in two specific instances related to the relationship between the players and the league: salary cap violations and off-season workout violations (Article 16, Section 6(b) and Article 21, Section 8 respectively).

2) Even if you were to extrapolate those specific fines to a general restriction, the maximum fine against a club is $6.5 million. The maximum fine against a club executive is $500k...but the league didn't fine any executives, they fined the club.

The confusion in #2 probably comes from Irsay's case, who was fined the maximum allowed for an official, and ever since everyone seems to assume that's some sort of global maximum when it's not. But regardless, the idea that the CBA governs the relationship between the league offices and clubs is idiotic in the extreme - the league IS the clubs, they don't collectively bargain with themselves. :doh:

The current CBA is here, if you want to read it: http://nflcommunications.com/current-cba/ The appeals process, including discovery, is covered in Article 46 - and KTD has pretty much nailed it throughout this thread. The league can't demand evidence, merely request.

You're right. Read the CBA at lunch. The CBA does allow for fining coaches (for off-season rules violations, for instance), but not teams.

Was anyone sayng the league can demand evidence?

I've hung out with him from time to time. He's a bit arrogant and has a bit of a God complex, but he's fun to drink with.

img_3529.jpg

Edited by stevewin

You're right. Read the CBA at lunch. The CBA does allow for fining coaches (for off-season rules violations, for instance), but not teams.

Was anyone sayng the league can demand evidence?

Of course I'm right. :D I read that deadspin article days ago, and my first reaction was "That's not right...the CBA isn't between the clubs and league." Then I found the CBA, and found how not right it was. I found the CBA as a whole to be interesting reading...I don't know if that says more about the writers of the CBA, or my reading interests.

I recall a few people upstream saying Brady was required to comply with the investigation and turn over his phone. I could be wrong, though...it was in that whole mess comparing criminal cases to parenting that I mostly ignored.

BREAKING NEWS: NFL Network is reporting that the Patriots are challenging the accuracy of the Ideal Gas Law. :lol:

I'm not even making that up...

NFL Network is calling the Pats' rebuttal "an insult to our intelligence." I've got to read this thing. :lol:

I love this part:

Footballs needed to be prepared for the Super Bowl. Since this was Mr. Jastremski’s first Super Bowl experience since assuming the role as game football preparer, it is not surprising he and Mr. Brady spoke a lot about football preparation during the days after the AFC Championship Game. Issues that they needed to discuss included: how footballs would be prepared (there were several different ways used for preparation during the season, sometimes dependent on weather); how many more than the required number for the game should be prepared so that, as he always does, Mr. Brady could select game footballs from among a larger number of prepared footballs; when, if at all, would the footballs be available in Foxborough for practice; when were they to be sent to Arizona; when would they be available for use in practice in Arizona; etc. All of these discussion topics were triggered by winning the AFC Championship and needed to be dealt with in the days following that win.

You know I'm actually the same way. I tend to call people I "don't know" repeatedly 2 weeks before something is due to be sure it's done correctly.