Brady/Patriots fines

if i remember correctly, vilma had his overturned on appeal right around week 1, than that overruled by the league and told the suspension would stand and i believe he was playing due to court intervention until tagliabue upheld the original appeal which let him play.

That's right. If the original suspension held, none of those guys would have been playing week 2...plain and simple. But it was overturned , hence they could play. Curran and CSNNE conveniently leave that point out of both the video report and article. He was then suspended again by the NFL, and was allowed to play while THAT appeals process took place.

Maybe Rob or Eball could help here( both lawyers I think), but if The suspension is held up or even reduced to 2 games on appeal, and Brady then takes out of the NFL process and files a suit....would the NFL be mandated to allow him to play until the case could be heard? That I do not know.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

would the NFL be mandated to allow him to play until the case could be heard? That I do not know.

im going off memory here, but i think the judge filed an order due to the fact that letting the punishment go through would irreparable once he missed the games if it was found the nfl messed up, unlike a fine that could just be paid back. so it wouldnt be automatic that he filed suit and got to play - but judges discretion.

Edited by NoSaint

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/adam_schefter_source_predicts_tom_bradys_suspension_will_be_overturned/18788225?linksrc=story_home_module_related_18793898

Apparently Schefter laid this out on Cowherd's show this morning. His source predicts the suspension will be overturned.

the major impact being is his source with the nfl, or is it bradys lawyer. it would carry much different weight based on the answer.

Andrew Brandt had some interesting things to say on Sirius NFL Radio this AM. One thing is that he thinks it's possible the NFL either thought or actually had knowledge that Brady has been doing this for years, or even his whole career, and that's possibly why the penalty was so harsh. He felt that it was possible the NFL might play that card if things escalated.

For arbitration, Goodell can pick himself or someone else. Brandt didn't think he'd pick himself, but also that all the most likely people he would pick would have some connection to the NFL which would bring into question bias by some.

He also made what I thought was a strange comment. That if they got to a point where they, say based on arbitration, reduced the suspension by a game or so, if NE played nice and accepted that it might earn Kraft a "chip" in the future to cash in when NE** wanted some favorable action in league matters :huh:

Edited by stevewin

Andrew Brandt had some interesting things to say on Sirius NFL Radio this AM. One thing is that he thinks it's possible the NFL either thought or actually had knowledge that Brady has been doing this for years, or even his whole career, and that's possibly why the penalty was so harsh. He felt that it was possible the NFL might play that card if things escalated.

For arbitration, Goodell can pick himself or someone else. Brandt didn't think he'd pick himself, but also that all the most likely people he would pick would have some connection to the NFL which would bring into question bias by some.

He also made what I thought was a strange comment. That if they got to a point where they, say based on arbitration, reduced the suspension by a game or so, if NE played nice and accepted that it might earn Kraft a "chip" in the future to cash in when NE** wanted some favorable action in league matters :huh:

1) they said in the ruling they didnt think it was the first time. so they already played that card

2) id assume they will choose someone else, but almost no matter what that person will be "employed by the nfl" and has some incentive to rule in the favor of leagues if they want to continue in the role. doesnt mean itll sway his ruling as it seems they are guilty. given tagliabue being willing to go against the league last time, he is an interesting candidate for a role like this. id be curious his take on the punishment. if he said he upheld it, given he vacated the saints players - it would give it some credibility i think.

3) any business is a people business. that doesnt mean the human element always interferes but theres always potential for "you make it easy, and im more prone to make your life easy --- you make it hard, and im more likely to be hard on a guy i dont like." again, just potential for that, and at this point it seems the ship may be sailing on easy.

The Pats legal counsel has launched a website attempting to debunk the wells report

http://wellsreportcontext.com

I am not going to read this whole thing, but I am leaning more and more to the side of this report has serious flaws. Maybe I am listening to EEI to much LOL.

I THINK Brady did something, but I don't think it can be PROVED even just to the level of more probably than not.

I don't know, I am just very confused !

I am not going to read this whole thing, but I am leaning more and more to the side of this report has serious flaws. Maybe I am listening to EEI to much LOL.

I THINK Brady did something, but I don't think it can be PROVED even just to the level of more probably than not.

read it lol. its pretty embarrassing what they are trying to do explaining away the texts. They are saying he used the term "deflator" in regard to trying to lose weight. It's really lame.

1) they said in the ruling they didnt think it was the first time. so they already played that card

Not if they have evidence or proof they haven't

Brady had duty to “reasonably cooperate,” whatever that means

Kessler, for example, would have strongly advised Brady to say nothing publicly prior to being interviewed by the league. That would have avoided the awkward and unhelpful press conference from January 22 and the less awkward but equally unhelpful pre-Super Bowl interview with NBC’s Bob Costas.

Kessler also presumably would have advised Brady to cooperate with the league’s request for text messages and emails.

read it lol. its pretty embarrassing what they are trying to do explaining away the texts. They are saying he used the term "deflator" in regard to trying to lose weight. It's really lame.

how did they explain the F :censored: Tom* texts?

Brady will never miss a game.. I am convinced he will have the suspension overturned on appeal

I think he will miss a game or two but maybe not four (unfortunately for Dallas who have supported the league office while reminding folks that the commish has come down hard on them - meaning they don't want to play against TB if they can avoid it and applying a little moral pressure).

A groundswell of opinion from respected former players with a national audience has somehow now mobilized in support of reducing or eliminating the penalties, especially the Brady suspension. Prior to the penalties being announced, Terrelle Davis for example was very critical of Brady. He focussed on his lack of candour and unwillingness to come clean and fully cooperate with the investigation. Now he says that he understands the reason for the suspension being those very factors but that the penalty is disproportionate to the offence. IMO he is losing sight of the reason for the suspension while continuing to acknowledge it. In other words, in his view the penalty is disproportionate even if it is being levied for the players disengenuous behavior. Well the most powerful man in the world was driven from office not because of the actions of a bunch of clown hackers breaking into an office, which had no influence whatsoever on his landslide election victory, but because he knowingly lied about what went on. Only his credibility was impugned and that was enuf to bring him down. So such things matter and what this is mostly about now is a personal integrity issue, not whether a material advantage was secured.

Generally, unlike Davis, folks like Heath Evans and Willie McGinest (the latter at least being a generally stand up guy) defend TB on the basis that all QBs like their game balls in a certain personalized way, that game balls get aged or seasoned (or not) depending upon such preferences, etc...Sorry, all of that relates to the "material advantage" issue, which is in fact a non issue. But their views are captured by a national audience and can influence (unthinking) public opinion.

McGinest also makes the point that the Patriots are held to a very high standard of compliance by their coach and accordingly he never saw Brady once break any rules. Wasn't the super corner Revis sent home for being late to a team meeting? Well there is no doubt that a very well run team like the Pats is going to have the players adhere to team rules. The question is does the team feel the same way about league rules? It was the enforcer BB who was spying after all. Willie is a good man, a better man than his former teammate, but maybe he is blinded by loyalty or being a little thick between the ears in this case.

TB's defence is basically the following - you can't prove it. The league can't prove that he knowingly conspired with the equipement guys to have the game balls deflated below the regulation psi. Brady's strategy can work only due to the much lower level of discovery that applies to league investigations than to all other investigatory procedures, be they criminal, civil or indeed congressional in nature. Poor Tom was asked to turn over relevant info from his phone. The nerve. Well people who argue along these lines have really no clue of what a real discovery process is like. It is a virtual colonoscopy. Tom Brady may well be able to get away with the sort of thing Richard Nixon and Martha Stewart did not (Martha went to jail not for trading on the basis of material non public info, but for not cooperating with federal prosecutors conducting the investigation) indeed even if the evidence fully justifies the Wells report findings on the balance of probabilities. And all this hogwash about the evidence being "circumstantial". Circumstantial evidence is frequently more probative than direct evidence. Just ask Ronald Cotton. They can stick a needle in your arm on the basis of evidence that is circumstantial.

If the Brady campaign succeeds in any of its objectives the credibility of the league as a self governing and rule making authority will be irrevocably compromised.

Edited by starrymessenger

Again:

I just posted this in the Box o' Shout:

Brady was absolutely treated fairly. He was suspended for lying (he did, in fact, know the ball handlers despite claiming that he didn't--this can be proven unequivocally) and refusal to cooperate.

So now McNally referred to himself as the "Deflator" because he was trying to lose weight.

Haha you can't make this stuff up.

Except the crack Pats/Brady legal team DID make this stuff up.

That one ridiculous assertion blows their entire defense out of the water. Do they have any idea how stupid they sound?

Most fans side with NFL over Brady in deflate-gate, poll finds

America speaks out

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12881342/poll-shows-fans-support-nfl-sanctions-tom-brady

News poll found that 63 percent of all fans surveyed, and 76 percent of self-described "avid" fans, supported the NFL's decision to suspend Brady for four games,

Except the crack Pats/Brady legal team DID make this stuff up.

That one ridiculous assertion blows their entire defense out of the water. Do they have any idea how stupid they sound?

Color me unimpressed if that was the best Brady**'s dream team can offer. Let's continue to try to bog everything down in science mumbo-jumbo, the texts are just jokes from jokey jokesters, the "stress trying to get them done" was a reference to one of the Marrone's having to resell tickets for his sick sister(?") - on and on - give me a f'ing break. So much verbal vomit saying so little of substance, but confusing nonetheless which I guess is the whole point.

Edited by stevewin