RD 2, Pick 50: DB Ronald Darby, Florida State

SDS

I didn't say they were invalid. Re read my post again and then get back to me.

You were probably the wrong one to reply to, there are others who are taking the more ridiculous stance that no one not getting paid for their opinion has an informed one.

I agree with you that there's a tremendous amount of unknown regarding how this plays out. That was the original intent of my post before I went sideways a bit. There's no real true expert because you simply don't know how these kids are going to respond to their new environment. There's 250+ kids whose worlds got flipped upside down this weekend, most are moving to new unfamiliar cities and most will shortly be seeing more money than they ever have in their entire lives. That's a culture shock for even the most level headed 22 year old.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gilmore is the only press/man db on team and rexy defenses need them to accomplish the scheme.

So they draft A really fast guy with decent size that held opponents to 40% completion in college and was considered the third or fourth best db in the draft?

I don't understand the beef... It's a logical pick

Gilmore is the only press/man db on team and rexy defenses need them to accomplish the scheme.

So they draft A really fast guy with decent size that held opponents to 40% completion in college and was considered the third or fourth best db in the draft?

I don't understand the beef... It's a logical pick

its a passing league but somehow people have a fear of drafting a CB high when we only have one under 30 and Rex's scheme leans on them heavily and even average ones in FA cost a boatload. We still got our OG. I don't have an issue because I just wanted to get out of Friday with an upgrade to the OL and we did.

Even more logically, whaley has stated repeatedly that he wants to build a roster where he has the ability to redshirt guys and ensure they are ready for the next level. A CB, especially one who will be put on an island like in this scheme, is the hardest position to transition from college to the NFL outside of QB. It is a wise, forward thinking strategy. Obvious holes being plugged by other teams are because their roster was lacking and those make more "sense" initially. We got our OL, TE and big WR. The QBs sucked and we have 4. The draft wasn't splashy from espn a standpoint but the impact could be huge.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I think that the number of posters with a formed, rationale opinion outnumbers the crazies by about the same factor as the number of unqualified opinions does the qualified.

Although you did use the word "amuses", when you chide others' opinions and call them clueless, it kind of reads like someone who's annoyed or bothered by it. Not saying that to pick on you; just saying that it's really easy to get the impression that it bothers you from the tone of your post.

I guess I should have been more specific. It amuses me when I read the posts that have "$@&! " and the ones that imply that a pro football team has their head up their asses regarding a pic. You gotta admit most of these posts are from regular joes that have no clue when compared to the pros that are getting paid to make these decisions. Come on, you gotta give me that!

its a passing league but somehow people have a fear of drafting a CB high when we only have one under 30 and Rex's scheme leans on them heavily and even average ones in FA cost a boatload. We still got our OG. I don't have an issue because I just wanted to get out of Friday with an upgrade to the OL and we did.

Even more logically, whaley has stated repeatedly that he wants to build a roster where he has the ability to redshirt guys and ensure they are ready for the next level. A CB, especially one who will be put on an island like in this scheme, is the hardest position to transition from college to the NFL outside of QB. It is a wise, forward thinking strategy. Obvious holes being plugged by other teams are because their roster was lacking and those make more "sense" initially. We got our OL, TE and big WR. The QBs sucked and we have 4. The draft wasn't splashy from espn a standpoint but the impact could be huge.

Again, for me it was more about the ability of some of the players they passed on (specifically Jake Fisher) than the guy they took. As I said in this thread at the time, I'm sure I'll come around when we get our starting LG in the fold...we probably did that with Miller in round 3, and although I still don't agree with picking Darby, I'm significantly less sour on it than I was at the time.

I guess I should have been more specific. It amuses me when I read the posts that have "$@&! " and the ones that imply that a pro football team has their head up their asses regarding a pic. You gotta admit most of these posts are from regular joes that have no clue when compared to the pros that are getting paid to make these decisions. Come on, you gotta give me that!

Sure...I didn't intend to marginalize that sentiment. I would never imply that the pros don't know what they're doing (other than John Idzik...how did that guy get to be in charge of a personnel dept?). I've met too many scouts and talked to too many people in the industry to think that.

Again, for me it was more about the ability of some of the players they passed on (specifically Jake Fisher) than the guy they took. As I said in this thread at the time, I'm sure I'll come around when we get our starting LG in the fold...we probably did that with Miller in round 3, and although I still don't agree with picking Darby, I'm significantly less sour on it than I was at the time.

That's pretty much how I feel as well. At the time of the pick, I was livid that's the direction they took with Fisher and AJ Cann still on the board. I'm still not exactly sold on Miller relative to those two guys and wish we would have moved back in the 2nd with news coming out that teams like Baltimore were desperate to jump up, but I can rationalize the age of our other corners and the importance Rex puts on the position in his scheme. At the time (and even still a bit) it felt like the same old Bills drafts I've watched for years, desperately hope a guy is on the board when we pick, he's there and we go in a complete opposite direction while a non-Cleveland AFC North team grabs him (I swear the Bengals-Ravens-Steelers get almost every single guy who makes me say "how is he still on the board?").

Darby was probably a wise pick. There seems to be this idea floating around that we already had great DBs. Maybe it is true that they played well last year, but Gilmore is the only objectively elite player. The rest are only one year removed from being viewed as massive question marks, and could easily regress to their career mean. Lack of DB depth is one of the only things that could scuttle the efforts of every other person on defense, and indeed did so in Rex’ last year with the Jets. Graham and McKelvin being 29, this pick will only be appreciated more over time.

I've watched every snap Ronald Darby took in college and here are my thoughts:

He's blazingly fast, with elite track speed that translates well to the football field.

While tackling isn't his strong suit, he's a very willing tackler. He doesn't blow people up (like his DB mate PJ Williams does) but he almost always gets the ball carrier on the ground and very rarely misses tackles.

His hands absolutely need work. He only had two career interceptions @ FSU and had several more passes clank directly off his hands. His coverage is very good and thus he was rarely targeted.

Darby played fulltime from the second he stepped on campus, getting ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year and was a Freshman All-American.

He was almost impossible to complete a pass on his sophomore year. His JR year there was either a lack of a. production of the d-line or b. effort on his part due to not wanting to risk draft status that didnt live up to his Sophomore year

production.

There was talk of Darby being a back half first round pick, so this is a very good value. I like the pick (I may be a bit biased)

I've watched every snap Ronald Darby took in college and here are my thoughts:

He's blazingly fast, with elite track speed that translates well to the football field.

While tackling isn't his strong suit, he's a very willing tackler. He doesn't blow people up (like his DB mate PJ Williams does) but he almost always gets the ball carrier on the ground and very rarely misses tackles.

His hands absolutely need work. He only had two career interceptions @ FSU and had several more passes clank directly off his hands. His coverage is very good and thus he was rarely targeted.

Darby played fulltime from the second he stepped on campus, getting ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year and was a Freshman All-American.

He was almost impossible to complete a pass on his sophomore year. His JR year there was either a lack of a. production of the d-line or b. effort on his part due to not wanting to risk draft status that didnt live up to his Sophomore year

production.

There was talk of Darby being a back half first round pick, so this is a very good value. I like the pick (I may be a bit biased)

i didn't do much research on him before the draft but I did afterward and he was the 3rd ranked corner by many analysts behind Peters (who got kicked of his college team) and Trae Waynes (who I think is kind of overrated after watching him in the Big 10 for a few years). Waynes has speed and technique which will allow him to start sooner but he has a tough time with the more physical, sudden WRs. Anyway, I am pretty excited for this kid to get in there with Donnie Henderson and Rex, could be a very big pick for us.

This board cracks me up. I'm holding out and letting the future tell the story as to whether this was a bad pick or not.

How many of you scout and evaluate college players for a living?

I'd like to see you in a draft room making the decision on who to select.

Fans would literally be clueless on these players if they didn't have some writer telling them who has what skills for the NFL and how they fit in the planning of this team. And how many of the writers are dead wrong with their targets?

I can see it now, the average fan in the draft room.

"Ok I have my Kiper/McShay/Mayock lists here, so I'll start there...."

Hilarious

What would the trolls and fanboys do without Kiper/McShay/ Maycock prospect lists? The subordinates would be lost....

Imo

What would the trolls and fanboys do without Kiper/McShay/ Maycock prospect lists? The subordinates would be lost....

Imo

I get what you're saying but I appreciate those guys for what they do. Even from a statistical stadpoint, like you say, most would be lost. I like hearing the different opinions and projections, despite how biased or wrong they might be.

I think the disconnect is when people rely on them like they're gold. They give you a base idea that an averag joe wouldn't have but to base a pick on what they say is ridiculous.

I do like Mike Mayock though.

I get what you're saying but I appreciate those guys for what they do. Even from a statistical stadpoint, like you say, most would be lost. I like hearing the different opinions and projections, despite how biased or wrong they might be.

I think the disconnect is when people rely on them like they're gold. They give you a base idea that an averag joe wouldn't have but to base a pick on what they say is ridiculous.

I do like Mike Mayock though.

We'd have Drafttek, which our own Astrobot contributes at.

There is going to come a time that we are going to be REALLY thankful that Whaley had the forsight to make the Darby pick

I think you're right. Most of us know that Ryan's schemes begin with press coverage at the corners so I re-watched the Rose Bowl and although I didn't have an All 22 perspective, it was clear to me that when Mariota saw Darby in single coverage, he made it a point to look there early but was forced to go to his other options more than he wanted to. Darby was in the back pocket of his man all day from what I saw. I know it's only one game, but given who it was against and in the national semis, that was a big time performance.

GO BILLS!!!

D had better be a stone frickin' wall this year... 'Cuz it was pretty dang good lat year with our current corners/safeties... With a glut of chitty QB's on te roster, I KNOW I wouldn't have let Maxx Williams fall to the Ravens @ 55... i think it was a terrible mistake... Then again, I'm not a fan of taking corners high anyway... Gilmore was a 1st, and he's really helped our bottom line, has'nt he? :lol:

Nothing against Darby (even though he has a tendency for faceguarding) I would never have taken him at 50. -No way. I would have MUCH rather move the chains with my stud TE... JMO

Edited by #34fan

D had better be a stone frickin' wall this year... 'Cuz it was pretty dang good lat year with our current corners/safeties... With a glut of chitty QB's on te roster, I KNOW wouldn't have let Maxx Williams fall to the Ravens @ 55... i think it was a terrible mistake... Then again, I'm not a fan of taking corners high anyway... Gilmore was a 1st, and he's really helped our bottom line, has'nt he? :lol:

Nothing against Darby (even though he has a tendency for faceguarding) I would never have taken him at 50. -No way. I would have MUCH rather move the chains with my stud TE... JMO

You have a stud TE......his name is Clay.....followed closely by another stud TE.....his name is O'Leary

And if one of these corners misses time you will thank the stars that Whaley was smart enough to take Darby.

And yes....GIlmore was a huge get

Right? I don't understand all the hate. He has had a couple nice seasons the past few years. Far from perfect but people jump on him like he should be cut. That is not the case at all

i like him at cb but I would prefer someone else return punts

Leodis, to me, has had a couple solid seasons.

He was very good in 2013, and a bit feast-or-famine last year. Made a lot of plays on the ball, but also got beat quite a bit as well.

Overall, I'm glad we have him on the roster, but it would surprise me if he saw the last year of his deal in 2016.

You have a stud TE......his name is Clay.....followed closely by another stud TE.....his name is O'Leary

And if one of these corners misses time you will thank the stars that Whaley was smart enough to take Darby.

And yes....GIlmore was a huge get

This.

So a thought occurred to me last night that drastically increased my affinity for this pick...

Julian Edelman

The guy had 92 receptions last year, and has a combined 25 receptions in his last 3 games against Buffalo.

I wonder if Rex wanted a corner that could follow him around the field. A guy that could play in the slot without sacrificing run support, stick with Edelman in coverage, and play physical against him 1-on-1.

Sounds like a Rex thing to do.

That would really free up the LBs to spy the backfield, and also allow bracket coverage on Gronk.

I mean, where NE killed Buffalo last year was when they went to max protect and let Brady and his 3 targets pick apart Schwartz's 7-man coverage scheme. Rex isn't going to sit back and let that happen. He'll be aggressive, and he'll force the ball out of Brady's hands quickly. To do that, he needs to make sure that NE's biggest threats--Gronk and Edelman--aren't available as safety valves.

I liked hearing that he was the least tested CB in CFB last year. They don't avoid throwing at you because you suck, and that explains the lack of INTs (although he'll be taught to turn his head around and look for them). I've also heard some people say he's like Antoine Winfield with his tacking and PFF said he only missed 2 tackles last year. If he and Gilmore can approach what Revis and Cro did with the Jets...

I liked hearing that he was the least tested CB in CFB last year. They don't avoid throwing at you because you suck, and that explains the lack of INTs (although he'll be taught to turn his head around and look for them). I've also heard some people say he's like Antoine Winfield with his tacking and PFF said he only missed 2 tackles last year. If he and Gilmore can approach what Revis and Cro did with the Jets...

IMO I dont think he approaches Winfield in his tackling at all.....Winfield will plant you in the turf where it looks like Darby is a willing tackler who will "ankle bite" you into the ground....this is not necessarily a bad thing as aggressive corner tacklers also get injured more...

McKelvin had this same problem and our corners coach helped him work through it.......what I do see from Darby is that great closing speed and the ability to stay in the hip pocket of a receiver.

He is gonna get tested in the NFL because QBs dont want to throw at Gilmore too much.......

@RyanTalbotBills: How Ronald Darby (@realronalddarby) Fits in the #Bills Defense - Buffalo - Scout - #BillsMafia http://t.co/JEcR6TE820

I just hope that this in some way does not send our USC corner packing.......

There is gonna be pressure to get Darby on the field sooner rather then later

more likely Ron Brooks if they can replace him on ST

IMO I dont think he approaches Winfield in his tackling at all.....Winfield will plant you in the turf where it looks like Darby is a willing tackler who will "ankle bite" you into the ground....this is not necessarily a bad thing as aggressive corner tacklers also get injured more...

McKelvin had this same problem and our corners coach helped him work through it.......what I do see from Darby is that great closing speed and the ability to stay in the hip pocket of a receiver.

He is gonna get tested in the NFL because QBs dont want to throw at Gilmore too much.......

this. winfield was a powerful tackler for being small. darby is an effective dragdown tackler.

You know....I know that we dont have Revis on this team......but I def get the feel that we have the most overall QUALITY corner stable in the AFC East

When teams try to spread us out and put our 3rd to 4th corner on the field.....it just feel like we can match that

cb and OL are always the thinnest groups on each NFL team. We are still working on the ol ;) but at least we aren't throwing justin Rogers out there or combing the waiver wire if one of our CBs go down. Lots of teams are forced to do this every season and it really affects the kinds of schemes they are able to run and whether they can blitz. This happened to Rex last year. My guess is he will not let it happen again. Edited by YoloinOhio

Winfield was a great tackler, that's why I thought it was surprising that some people that had watched Darby made the comparison.

cb and OL are always the thinnest groups on each NFL team. We are still working on the ol ;) but at least we aren't throwing justin Rogers out there or combing the waiver wire if one of our CBs go down. Lots of teams are forced to do this every season and it really affects the kinds of schemes they are able to run and whether they can blitz. This happened to Rex last year. My guess is he will not let it happen again.

I thought it was a huge reason for taking him....I mean lets face it Fisher (OT) was ON THE BOARD.......at the time I was really upset we didnt take him because I think he is a player......

but then u step back and try to look at it through the teams eyes....

We have brought in a christmas list of offensive talent....but at the end of the day the identity of this team will be about playing dominant defense......creating turnovers....given field position and the ball back to the offense......

Rex had his D fall apart and become extremely limited because they didnt have the corners they needed with the jets. I think we probably should have all seen this pick coming (I didnt)

Winfield was a great tackler, that's why I thought it was surprising that some people that had watched Darby made the comparison.

I made the comparison based on 2 things: aggressiveness in the run game and ball skills (or relative lack thereof).