Serious About Drafting Bryce Petty?

They must want someone else. The Bills twitter feed also has a question about who the #3 QB is and do the bills want him?

Maybe they want Grayson and think he will go after Petty so they want to know which round he'll be taken in

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did meet with all of those QBs at the combine. I do not know if that is relevant to this discussion or not. I'm not really a big fan of any of these guys but we need to find the guy. I really could care less who the guy is or what my thoughts are on him.

Right. It's possible but I highly doubt they draft a QB in the 2nd round this year without bringing him in for a workout at OBD.

Basically, for a guy like Petty, there is no good reason for a Bills smokescreen. If he's there, which he probably not going to be at 50, they can take him. They are not going to be either scaring anyone away from taking higher, nor surprising anyone hoping for him to last into the third, or making anyone think they are looking at another position that would affect their own draft. There is nothing the Bills could do whatsoever as a smoke screen that would affect another team because 50 is their first choice.

As far as Petty goes, I think all three of the Bills' present QBs are near locks for opening day. So I see precious little to no chance of them drafting one in the 2nd or 3rd this year, regardless of if any of the three are going to be good enough. It's just the way things have turned out. We have Harvin likely for one year. We have to make the playoffs this year and start our climb. We don't need to start a rookie 2nd rounder with this team, and we don't need to wait -two-three years for him to sit on the bench. This is the find out about EJ year and the find out about Tyrod year and the find out about Cassel year, not the find out about Petty or Hundley or Grayson year.

His age coupled with his injury history alone makes it a gamble the Bills shouldn't bother with. Add the offensive system he played in and I just can't see him as a desirable pick.

He is 23 about to be 24. You act like he is Brandon Weeden old

He is 23 about to be 24. You act like he is Brandon Weeden old

I do? I said his age coupled with his injury history, and later combined that with the fact that he is a project (especially given his offensive system). I think it's all valid when looked at as a whole. 24 by itself is no big deal, but he's had concussions, back injuries, and knee issues (although there are differing reports on the knee).

Still. Is that a real concern given the age successful QBs can play until?

They are saying he will need time to transition to the pros. That means another year or 2. Additionally, and it's my personal opinion, but being older in college is a huge advantage. I would have loved to be 23 my senior year going against 18 and 19 year olds. You are more mature mentally and physically. He won't have that advantage in the NFL.

The younger a player is when they enter the NFL, the more room for growth. There's a chance Petty has already peaked.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Are you going to play this pathetic victim card in every thread related to QB's?

I don't feel victimized whatsoever. Look at this thread right now- people scrutinizing his age because he's like one year older than most seniors. I'm just pointing out the irony, that's all. My biggest pet peeve is when people have unwavering, steadfast opinions on how good of a pro these kids are gonna be before they're even drafted. I remember in 2011, half this board was all "BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I can't believe Carolina is actually gonna take Newton!!!!! What a joke!!!!!" As opinionated as I am, I prefer to judge players after they've been in the league a couple years. Half you guys are like the 15 year old Jets fans in the audience who put their hands on their head in disbelief when the Jets take a cornerback in the fourth round on day three of the draft because he wasn't the highest rated cornerback on Mel Kiper's big board. It's a freaking crapshoot.

Right. It's possible but I highly doubt they draft a QB in the 2nd round this year without bringing him in for a workout at OBD.

Basically, for a guy like Petty, there is no good reason for a Bills smokescreen. If he's there, which he probably not going to be at 50, they can take him. They are not going to be either scaring anyone away from taking higher, nor surprising anyone hoping for him to last into the third, or making anyone think they are looking at another position that would affect their own draft. There is nothing the Bills could do whatsoever as a smoke screen that would affect another team because 50 is their first choice.

As far as Petty goes, I think all three of the Bills' present QBs are near locks for opening day. So I see precious little to no chance of them drafting one in the 2nd or 3rd this year, regardless of if any of the three are going to be good enough. It's just the way things have turned out. We have Harvin likely for one year. We have to make the playoffs this year and start our climb. We don't need to start a rookie 2nd rounder with this team, and we don't need to wait -two-three years for him to sit on the bench. This is the find out about EJ year and the find out about Tyrod year and the find out about Cassel year, not the find out about Petty or Hundley or Grayson year.

If you love one of the QB's you take them. If you don't you don't. But you don't not take a QB even if you love him because you have Matt Cassel, EJ Manuel and Tyrod Taylor on your roster.

If you love one of the QB's you take them. If you don't you don't. But you don't not take a QB even if you love him because you have Matt Cassel, EJ Manuel and Tyrod Taylor on your roster.

There is no way they "love" any of these guys. That is the point. They may like them. I agree if you love them you take them, but these three are not lovable players. Wilson was a lovable player without the height issue. Kaep, too, for the most part. Petty, Hundley and Grayson are not lovable. They are longshots.

There is no way they "love" any of these guys. That is the point. They may like them. I agree if you love them you take them, but these three are not lovable players. Wilson was a lovable player without the height issue. Kaep, too, for the most part. Petty, Hundley and Grayson are not lovable. They are longshots.

I so think some personnel people love Petty. I'm not saying they're right, but I do think it is the case that some teams - possibly the Bills - have a greater regard for him than you apparently do. I saw him a couple of times in college and thought he was good. But it's hard to say how he'll do at the next level. I don't really worry too much about the spread offense issue like some, however. Drew Brees, who Petty reminds me of slightly, also played in a spread in college too. He turned out fine.

EDIT: According to the nfl.com scouting report, Petty is "smart." http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/bryce-petty?id=2552369

Edited by dave mcbride

They are saying he will need time to transition to the pros. That means another year or 2. Additionally, and it's my personal opinion, but being older in college is a huge advantage. I would have loved to be 23 my senior year going against 18 and 19 year olds. You are more mature mentally and physically. He won't have that advantage in the NFL.

The younger a player is when they enter the NFL, the more room for growth. There's a chance Petty has already peaked.

C. Biscuit - fyi. Russell Wilson turned 24 early in his rookie season: http://www.allprofootballsource.com/age-based-metrics-quarterbacks-24-real-knockout-factor/

I so think some personnel people love Petty. I'm not saying they're right, but I do think it is the case that some teams - possibly the Bills - have a greater regard for him than you apparently do. I saw him a couple of times in college and thought he was good. But it's hard to say how he'll do at the next level. I don't really worry too much about the spread offense issue like some, however. Drew Brees, who Petty reminds me of slightly, also played in a spread in college too. He turned out fine.

EDIT: According to the nfl.com scouting report, Petty is "smart." http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/bryce-petty?id=2552369

To me, if a QB is not taken in the first round he is likely not "loved" by anyone. That is something of course we will never know. There is a chance that Petty goes in the first round. I think it's likely that he goes in the second. I think there is almost a zero chance he starts opening day anywhere.

The person I was referring to was talking about him as a person, and was surely in a position to know, with very little reason to denounce him. Talking about his general intelligence level. Not that he often made smart decisions with the football in college games.

Didn't Russell Wilson come out of a Pro Style Offense at Wisconsin and already know how to take dropbacks and go through progressions though?

Yes. He actually learned their entire offense in two weeks and absolutely floored his coaches and teammates.

To me this is a clear signal they are not going to draft him in the second round. If they were serious about him Whaley would have gone a long time ago. They have already pretty much finalized their board and slotted every player. Maybe if he falls to the third round, which is very possible, that is why he is going.

I very much doubt they draft any QB before the seventh round and probably none at all, although any seventh rounder has very little chance of making this team.

While this is a plausible scenario, they're more than likely moving on from Manuel. I know some people here think EJM just needs better coaching, but waiting until the 7th round or via UDFA seems implausible considering their depth at the position. They need a prospect and it's not Manuel.

EDIT: I'm not saying it's Petty, Grayson, or the other 2nd tier QB's. Just that they're interested given the depth.

Edited by BillsVet

While this is a plausible scenario, they're more than likely moving on from Manuel. I know some people here think EJM just needs better coaching, but waiting until the 7th round or via UDFA seems implausible considering their depth at the position. They need a prospect and it's not Manuel.

EDIT: I'm not saying it's Petty, Grayson, or the other 2nd tier QB's. Just that they're interested given the depth.

isnt TT a "prospect"?

Smokescreens? I don't understand this, what is the reason behind it?

My thoughts are, why do teams need to do this? For example: When it comes time for Team A to draft, they are going to take who they need, one that fits their scheme of what they are trying to build. Why would they draft a player that doesn't fit, just to block Team B from drafting that player? It would become a wasted pick at that point, no? What is the purpose of a smokescreen when it comes to the draft (and yes, I understand the principle of a smokescreen, to offer many options to whoever it is directed at so as to not tip your hand in the direction you are going)? I have been curious about this for quite awhile.

I don't feel victimized whatsoever. Look at this thread right now- people scrutinizing his age because he's like one year older than most seniors. I'm just pointing out the irony, that's all. My biggest pet peeve is when people have unwavering, steadfast opinions on how good of a pro these kids are gonna be before they're even drafted. I remember in 2011, half this board was all "BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I can't believe Carolina is actually gonna take Newton!!!!! What a joke!!!!!" As opinionated as I am, I prefer to judge players after they've been in the league a couple years. Half you guys are like the 15 year old Jets fans in the audience who put their hands on their head in disbelief when the Jets take a cornerback in the fourth round on day three of the draft because he wasn't the highest rated cornerback on Mel Kiper's big board. It's a freaking crapshoot.

Not buying it. I'd be more inclined to believe your explanation above if both times it was about a potential draft pick. Not the case. In that thread, you complained about how people "scoff at the idea of RG3 yet defend EJ."

We get it. You don't think EJ will be good and don't like that people want to give him a chance. You still just come off as if you feel slighted because you're brave enough to have the opinion that EJ will never succeed.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

@FLbills -- I don't believe teams specifically draft players to "keep them away" from another team. But teams certainly do trade up to jump ahead of a team to get a player they want if they believe said team also wants that player.

By floating misinformation about the players in which your team has true interest, you may influence trade opportunities and/or cause a player you really covet to fall down the draft board.

And in the case of the poorer scouting organizations, you might actually influence their selection decisions.

Edited by eball

While I am against us using one of our top 2 picks on a QB this year, I would not be shocked if we traded up a few spots in round 3 assuming Petty slipped to that point. I do not, however, believe he will slip that far. I'm guessing Petty goes somewhere between pick 31 and pick 59

@FLbills -- I don't believe teams specifically draft players to "keep them away" from another team. But teams certainly do trade up to jump ahead of a team to get a player they want if they believe said team also wants that player.

By floating misinformation about the players in which your team has true interest, you may influence trade opportunities and/or cause a player you really covet to fall down the draft board.

And in the case of the poorer scouting organizations, you might actually influence their selection decisions.

While I agree that is how the game is played, it's impossible for me at least to believe that Doug Whaley going to see Bryce Petty for the first time two days before the draft is going to influence anyone anywhere to the point of thinking the Bills are serious about selecting him at 50 and then expedite trading up ahead of 50 to take Petty because they were worried the Bills would. I don't really find the idea of Whaley going there today influencing that trade plausible in the least. if anything, they would look at it more as a smokescreen than a genuine interest. And if they want Petty and want to trade up for him and their hard deck is less than 50 they will do it.

While I agree that is how the game is played, it's impossible for me at least to believe that Doug Whaley going to see Bryce Petty for the first time two days before the draft is going to influence anyone anywhere to the point of thinking the Bills are serious about selecting him at 50 and then expedite trading up ahead of 50 to take Petty because they were worried the Bills would. I don't really find the idea of Whaley going there today influencing that trade plausible in the least. if anything, they would look at it more as a smokescreen than a genuine interest. And if they want Petty and want to trade up for him and their hard deck is less than 50 they will do it.

So maybe it's a smokescreen intended to make other teams think it's a smokescreen.

So maybe it's a smokescreen intended to make other teams think it's a smokescreen.

to me it depends on whether this was intentionally leaked from OBD or if Joe b really has this secret source who is throwing him a bone. I hope it's the first one. Since he has never to my knowledge broken any news like this I think it is.

Until we have a good QB on the roster, Bills should seriously consider drafting a QB every year until we find one. Stop wasting time on the Manuel's and Tuel's that we already know aren't any good. Belichick has one of the all-time best QB's and he still burns 2nd and 3rd round picks on QB's hoping to find his replacement.

:lol: That would be smart. But it's not true. Ha. Again, there is zero chance to me that they are serious about drafting him there and this is his first visit. It's possible that they have been hearing that he may fall to the third and that is the impetus for the visit. But I doubt that, too. I think he's probably not even going and this is just info put out there to keep teams in the dark.

Not buying it. I'd be more inclined to believe your explanation above if both times it was about a potential draft pick. Not the case. In that thread, you complained about how people "scoff at the idea of RG3 yet defend EJ."

We get it. You don't think EJ will be good and don't like that people want to give him a chance. You still just come off as if you feel slighted because you're brave enough to have the opinion that EJ will never succeed.

Not trying to argue and certainly not trying to turn this into an EJ thread. I believe I have been pretty consistent though: a) I'm not going to pretend to know more about how good a college player is going to be from catching a few 4th quarters on ESPN than an NFL scouting department. I trust Doug Whaley. If he loves Grayson or Petty or whoever and the Bills draft them then it will be pretty easy to sell me on them. b) I think it's ridiculous for someone to scoff at or dismiss the idea of trading for a guy who is two seasons removed from one of the best rookie seasons in the history of the NFL while telling everyone it's way too early to judge EJ Manuel. And c) for the record, I am all for giving Manuel a chance. I would be thrilled if he took control and emerged as the franchise QB. I just don't think it's going to happen at this point.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

It's great that you get to pick and choose statements from all of the posters on this board and lump them into one set of people. I question Petty as a developmental project QB because of his age, injury history and system. That doesn't mean I am dead set against him or have claimed that he will no doubt be a failure in the NFL; it's just an opinion on what I think about him. I also have never made any claims about EJ being a total failure, or about Cam Newton when he was drafted by Carolina.

But yeah, you're the only one with a rational take on the draft. Keep patting yourself on the head.

This is all hypothetical:

Ok, so Whaley puts out the smokescreen and goes and talks to Petty to provide the rest of the teams with the misinformation that the Bills are interested in him, all the while having true interest in Garrett Grayson. However, the Steelers (pick #56) are also interested in Grayson to groom behind Ben. With Whaley showing interest in Petty, the Steelers do not feel it is necessary to trade up to pick #49 in order to get Grayson due to the smokescreen from Whaley. Bills are on the clock and now able to draft Grayson because the Steelers didn't trade up because of the false interest in Petty.

Did I understand that correctly? Thanks for helping clear it up for me.

Not trying to argue and certainly not trying to turn this into an EJ thread. I believe I have been pretty consistent though: a) I'm not going to pretend to know more about how good a college player is going to be from catching a few 4th quarters on ESPN than an NFL scouting department. I trust Doug Whaley. If he loves Grayson or Petty or whoever and the Bills draft them then it will be pretty easy to sell me on them. b) I think it's ridiculous for someone to scoff at or dismiss the idea of trading for a guy who is two seasons removed from one of the best rookie seasons in the history of the NFL while telling everyone it's way too early to judge EJ Manuel. And c) for the record, I am all for giving Manuel a chance. I would be thrilled if he took control and emerged as the franchise QB. I just don't think it's going to happen at this point.

Fair enough. I will also not attempt to hijack this thread any longer.

Go Bills!

I heard a fwiw rumor today that originated from someone that knows his football abilities as well as anyone at Baylor that Petty is a nice kid but dumb.

If first impressions are worth anything, he looked dumb on Gruden's QB segment.

Ok, so Whaley puts out the smokescreen and goes and talks to Petty to provide the rest of the teams with the misinformation that the Bills are interested in him, all the while having true interest in Garrett Grayson. However, the Steelers (pick #56) are also interested in Grayson to groom behind Ben. With Whaley showing interest in Petty, the Steelers do not feel it is necessary to trade up to pick #49 in order to get Grayson due to the smokescreen from Whaley. Bills are on the clock and now able to draft Grayson because the Steelers didn't trade up because of the false interest in Petty.

yes, unless the Steelers view it as a double secret smokescreen and trade up for Grayson assuming that's who the Bills really wanted

Yes, hypothetically, it could work that way. As others have stated, however, the timing of this "leak" is odd.