Serious About Drafting Bryce Petty?

So a Bills source leaked their plan to trick other teams to the media?

Seems odd, doesn't it? Kind of spoils the secret.

Or, they just want people to think it is a smokescreen, everyone thinks they want Huntley, but really want Grayson and then take PETTY!!!

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/brett-hundley?id=2552588

His scouting report is almost identical to EJ's. Almost to a tee.

I have no problem with a 4th or later but none of these QBs should ever see the field this year.

As a UCLA alum, I saw a lot of him. I have issues with his game, but he's a LOT more athletic (functionally athletic) than EJ - not that EJ is a statue.

Did you get that quote from an article or see/listen to the whole press conference?

From an article. Do you really think Ryan has any love for the Bills' QB situation? The position killed him in NY, and it killed the Ravens when he was the DC of a great defense that went 13-3 but went nowhere in the playoffs because of bad qb play. He knows he needs to fix the QB situation above all else. This is a guy who has been through Boller, and aging and mostly ineffective McNair, Geno, Sanchez, Jeff Blake, Elvis Grbac, and a washed up Mike Vick. He has NEVER coached on a team with a decent QB. The best he ever had was a rookie Flacco, who was OK for a rookie but still a rookie.

Edited by dave mcbride

gross. BTW Massare himself wants Hundley and keeps tweeting about it. If the Bills do, I hope its late. But would explain Whaley at those UCLA games last fall. And he "fits" Roman's offense.

Oh and remember this... :censored: it's happening. What # will Hundley wear? 3? :cry:

Mike Rodak ‏@mikerodak Apr 21

Doug Whaley doesn’t seem high on Brett Hundley: http://es.pn/1JqOQsR

I'm a ucla fan and watched a few games last year, he's EJ2. I'll be shocked if they take him.

This sounds more likely to me:

Kevin Massare @KevinMassare · 26m 26 minutes ago

Like I was told a few months ago, names to watch for Friday include Carl Davis DT (2nd), Preston Smith (2nd) DE, and Tony Lippett (3rd).

agreed. ive been thinking the d-line surprise could be coming for awhile now, and that its not even that surprising. having a 5th guy in the rotation that could play without large dropoff and potentially down the line take over after mario/kyle or if MD somehow isnt here long term. also seems to be a group that our staff is good at scouting and rex obviously has an eye for it - which might make it a safe pick if they see a guy they all really like.

From an article. Do you really think Ryan has any love for the Bills' QB situation? The position killed him in NY, and it killed the Ravens when he was the DC of a great defense that went 13-3 but went nowhere in the playoffs because of bad qb play. He knows he needs to fix the QB situation above all else. This is a guy who has been through Boller, and aging and mostly ineffective McNair, Geno, Sanchez, Jeff Blake, Elvis Grbac, and a washed up Mike Vick. He has NEVER coached on a team with a decent QB. The best he ever had was a rookie Flacco, who was OK for a rookie but still a rookie.

Listening to the actual press conference, he was very effusive in his praise. What he was talking about in a perfect world was not the quality of the QB play, it was knowing which guy was going to be #1 already, right now, versus having it play out between three of them. He was the way he always is, praising the players and what he saw a lot. That quote was out of context and not what he was talking about.

I actually think that he doesn't know about his QBs. I think he likes having a veteran fall back and he loves Taylor, but like everyone else in the world, isn't sure about him. I think he sees potential in EJ. I very, very much doubt he wants a #2 pick to be a QB because he wants to win right now, this season, game one.

agreed. ive been thinking the d-line surprise could be coming for awhile now, and that its not even that surprising. having a 5th guy in the rotation that could play without large dropoff and potentially down the line take over after mario/kyle or if MD somehow isnt here long term. also seems to be a group that our staff is good at scouting and rex obviously has an eye for it - which might make it a safe pick if they see a guy they all really like.

DL seems like the perfect storm to me; beyond all of the legitimate reasons that you mentioned:

- There's no true NT on the roster (Dareus, despite his size, is more suited to rushing the passer)

- 3 out of 4 of the DTs on the roster will be FAs next year (Dareus unrestricted and Bryant/Charles restricted)

- The DL is the strength of this draft class, and it's highly likely that there will still be a top-tier guy left at that position, which won't really be true of many (if any) other position groups

I'm perfectly happy if the Bills add a top DL prospect at #50. Then again, I'll talk myself into being happy with whomever they pick.

i will have a draft therapy thread ready to go, where we prepare batches of special "draft kool aid" and talk each other into why we love the picks

i will have a draft therapy thread ready to go, where we prepare batches of special "draft kool aid" and talk each other into why we love the picks

Sign me up for an extra large glass. I'm a fan and can't help it.

I'm perfectly happy if the Bills add a top DL prospect at #50. Then again, I'll talk myself into being happy with whomever they pick.

I have a tendency to do that as well (except for Kouandjio, that pick still ticks me off). In this case, however, I really do like the idea of taking a guy that will give you snaps immediately and is in the top tier of his position group.

Listening to the actual press conference, he was very effusive in his praise. What he was talking about in a perfect world was not the quality of the QB play, it was knowing which guy was going to be #1 already, right now, versus having it play out between three of them. He was the way he always is, praising the players and what he saw a lot. That quote was out of context and not what he was talking about.

I actually think that he doesn't know about his QBs. I think he likes having a veteran fall back and he loves Taylor, but like everyone else in the world, isn't sure about him. I think he sees potential in EJ. I very, very much doubt he wants a #2 pick to be a QB because he wants to win right now, this season, game one.

You may well be right about what he wants at #2, but I'd bet a lot of money he isn't thrilled with our QB situation relative to the Pats and Dolphins. By my count, 11 teams in the AFC have better QB situations than the Bills. I'm including Bortles and Carr, which I realize is based on projection rather than production. The teams in the same boat as Buffalo include Cleveland, the Jets, Houston, and Tennessee. I think fans are deceiving themselves if they think the Bills situation is as good as the other 11.

agreed. How would you compare him with Kaepernick?

Good arm and very athletic. That said, I always felt the UCLA offense looked a bit disorganized/chaotic when he was at the helm. I don't know how his game will translate at the pro level, but he has physical talent. Kaepernick isn't a bad comparison, it would seem, but I had no knowledge of Kaep's game coming out of college.

Edited by dave mcbride

Rex took the question about Bryce Petty head on today, confirming that the front office traveled to Petty to meet yesterday. He said to the reporter, "I guess you let the cat out of the bag." Good acting.