Serious About Drafting Bryce Petty?

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because i value your opinion Kirby....what is u dont like about Bryce Petty?

He throws into huge windows. I watched the whole WV game and that was 1 of only 2 complete Baylor games that I watched. That probably isn't fair to Petty but I didn't like what I saw. I thought that he missed guys all over the field.

He throws into huge windows. I watched the whole WV game and that was 1 of only 2 complete Baylor games that I watched. That probably isn't fair to Petty but I didn't like what I saw. I thought that he missed guys all over the field.

honest question.....do you think that some of that was the product of the offense he was asked to run.......

I know the spread is a get rid of it quick offense.....which causes you not to go through progressions

honest question.....do you think that some of that was the product of the offense he was asked to run.......

I know the spread is a get rid of it quick offense.....which causes you not to go through progressions

It's definitely a part of it. A lot of people like him & he is probably the 3rd QB on the majority of team's boards. He just doesn't look like a franchise guy to me but I'd be happy to be wrong if he comes here.

I believe the trade up in the late second more than I believe the pick at 50. Unless they really don't like EJ, which is possible but I doubt it.

Rex went out of his way today to speak real nicely about EJ. That had to be for the sake of EJ's feelings. Why'd he care if the plan is to shed EJ?

Rex went out of his way today to speak real nicely about EJ. That had to be for the sake of EJ's feelings. Why'd he care if the plan is to shed EJ?

Not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean that lends more credence to the idea that Rex and the Bills don't like EJ, or more credence to the fact they probably do like EJ?

Not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean that lends more credence to the idea that Rex and the Bills don't like EJ, or more credence to the fact they probably do like EJ?

I think it means they like him enough to actually give him a chance. I think drafting Petty spells doom for EJ as a Bill.

He did put that caveat in his words though about how he wished EJ would play faster

and maybe that really is the base problem of it all......

Cassell - the information is processed and the ball is out

EJ - we sure wish he would play faster

I think it means they like him enough to actually give him a chance. I think drafting Petty spells doom for EJ as a Bill.

Right. That is why I don't think they are drafting a QB high. Maybe if Petty falls to the third round and no one else is rated higher but I truly doubt that would happen. Cassel is a lock. Taylor seems like a lock because Rex loves him and they had to convince him he would have a legit chance to be a starter. They are not going to cut him. That leaves EJ. They probably want to see what he can do. The comments by Whaley, the coaches, Watkins, McCoy, etc, make me believe they are going to give EJ a solid chance, and I think they would be dumb not to.

Rex, Whaley, the Pegulas, and a lot of fans want the Bills to win game one, week one. Bryce Petty is not going to start opening day. There isn't a chance he would beat out Cassel. If they really truly think he has more than a 50-50 shot of being a franchise QB and have a first round grade on him and he is there at 50, then sure they might do it. I highly doubt any of those are the case though (except maybe being there at 50).

If they take Petty in round 2 or any QB in rds 2 or 3 - and I have NO idea if they will - then we know for a fact they don't like EJ. They traded for the other 2 guys after Ryan arrived, so presumably he's on board with them. If that scenario occurs, I expect that Manuel will be cut provided they can't trade him this weekend. The cap can handle the cut. If they don't draft a QB, Manuel will remain on the team.

We'll know in 72 hours or so.

Edited by dave mcbride

He did put that caveat in his words though about how he wished EJ would play faster

and maybe that really is the base problem of it all......

Cassell - the information is processed and the ball is out

EJ - we sure wish he would play faster

That was a specific thing he noted about his throwing yesterday. That was not a make or break point on whether or not he can be a franchise QB or not.

If they take Petty in round 2 or any QB in rds 2 or 3 - and I have NO idea if they will - then we know for a fact they don't like EJ. They traded for the other 2 guys after Ryan arrived, so presumably he's on board with them. If that scenario occurs, I expect that Manuel will be cut provided they can't trade him this weekend. The cap can handle the cut. If they don't draft a QB, Manuel will remain on the team.

We'll know in 52 hours or so.

Yup. That is why I don't think there is any real chance of it.

That was a specific thing he noted about his throwing yesterday. That was not a make or break point on whether or not he can be a franchise QB or not.

Yup. That is why I don't think there is any real chance of it.

I do think there is a real chance of it. They aren't interviewing all of these qbs for nothing. Smokescreen? Seriously? Outer teams know that the Bills have a bad QB situation. They're not fooling anyone (assuming they're trying, which I'm not). They're doing due diligence. If their complaint is that Manuel doesn't "play fast" (as per what John says above), then they don't think he's any good. "Playing fast" is absolutely necessary for succeeding as a QB in the NFL.

Edited by dave mcbride

I do think there is a real chance of it. They aren't interviewing all of these qbs for nothing. Smokescreen? Seriously? Outer teams know that the Bills have a bad QB situation. They're not fooling anyone (assuming they're trying, which I'm not). They're doing due diligence. If their complaint is that Manuel doesn't "play fast" (as per what John says above), then they don't think he's any good. "Playing fast" is absolutely necessary for succeeding as a QB in the NFL.

Ryan was talking about EJ throwing yesterday. Compared to Cassel, who has played 11 years in the league, EJ wasn't getting the ball out as fast as Cassel was. He was throwing well, but Rex was pointing out they wanted him to get the ball out a split second earlier. Cassel was throwing before the WR broke, EJ was throwing as the WR broke. It was a day one observation that they wanted him to do it a couple tenths of a second earlier. There is zero chance that had anything to do with what they think of him as a QB or drafting Petty.

I think they think Petty is going to fall. To me there is also zero chance that after they are already done with their board, which they are, now is going to be the first time they really sat down with Petty outside of the combine. That makes no sense. If they are drafting him they have spoken to him several times.