Serious About Drafting Bryce Petty?

This is all hypothetical:

Ok, so Whaley puts out the smokescreen and goes and talks to Petty to provide the rest of the teams with the misinformation that the Bills are interested in him, all the while having true interest in Garrett Grayson. However, the Steelers (pick #56) are also interested in Grayson to groom behind Ben. With Whaley showing interest in Petty, the Steelers do not feel it is necessary to trade up to pick #49 in order to get Grayson due to the smokescreen from Whaley. Bills are on the clock and now able to draft Grayson because the Steelers didn't trade up because of the false interest in Petty.

Did I understand that correctly? Thanks for helping clear it up for me.

I do think teams play that game. It's why the Fin's panicked and jumped up to take Dion Jordan two years ago. :doh:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/26/dolphins-couldnt-believe-jordan-trade-as-cheap-as-it-was/

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes - I hope Whaley pays attention to advanced stats...

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/introducing-qbase

Petty projects to be substantially worse than replacement level, in large part because QBASE questions the opposition that he faced in 2014. Petty accumulated his college stats against the 70th-toughest slate of opposing defenses. His 6.1 percent chance of developing into an upper-tier quarterback makes Petty unworthy of a third-round selection.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Petty projects to be substantially worse than replacement level, in large part because QBASE questions the opposition that he faced in 2014. Petty accumulated his college stats against the 70th-toughest slate of opposing defenses. His 6.1 percent chance of developing into an upper-tier quarterback makes Petty unworthy of a third-round selection.

GIGO. Other than Rivers and Palmer, the difference between the predicted and actual DYAR on that list is enormous!

Those guys just futz with numbers, IMO...

DINNER tho...

@PSchrags: News coming on @FOXSports1 -- multiple members of the Bills front office are in Dallas to have dinner w/ QB Bryce Petty tonight. @NFLonFOX

"Bryce, enjoy this 24 oz. bone-in rib-eye on us...now go tell every single team that we're dead serious about taking you at 50."

DINNER tho...

@PSchrags: News coming on @FOXSports1 -- multiple members of the Bills front office are in Dallas to have dinner w/ QB Bryce Petty tonight. @NFLonFOX

If they truly like him and could trade back into the 4th round to get him, then I'd have no problem with it.

But I want pick 50 and 81 to be immediate contributors in 2015. If they use one of those picks on Petty, I'll be majorly bummed...

Yes, hypothetically, it could work that way. As others have stated, however, the timing of this "leak" is odd.

yes, unless the Steelers view it as a double secret smokescreen and trade up for Grayson assuming that's who the Bills really wanted

I assume that draft boards are pretty much set already and that's why there are questions regarding the timing and ineffectiveness of a smokescreen 2 days prior to the draft.

IMO, it would still be effective though. Whaley sits back and waits until 2 days before the draft and then makes his visit. Wouldn't that in turn make teams question his motive for such a late visit? Kind of a "now that the boards are set, I can go visit my guy". Making it appear that he is very interested and can visit freely because the boards are set. Would that not raise some eyebrows, or is just that apparent that it's a smokescreen?

I assume that draft boards are pretty much set already and that's why there are questions regarding the timing and ineffectiveness of a smokescreen 2 days prior to the draft.

IMO, it would still be effective though. Whaley sits back and waits until 2 days before the draft and then makes his visit. Wouldn't that in turn make teams question his motive for such a late visit? Kind of a "now that the boards are set, I can go visit my guy". Making it appear that he is very interested and can visit freely because the boards are set. Would that not raise some eyebrows, or is just that apparent that it's a smokescreen?

Another thing to think about: what if the Bills got a hint that another team--say, the Jets for instance--love Petty,and are planning to take him in round 2?

This would be their last chance to go pick his brain and get a feel for what type of player he is before he goes into another team's system.

Man, you suggest that Whaley laying his coat down over a puddle is a sign of his affection for Petty and your post gets deleted??? This must be the new regime led by that tyrant CBF...

The Bills may like Petty. I guess that we will see this week whether or not they ask him on a 2nd date.

Man, you suggest that Whaley laying his coat down over a puddle is a sign of his affection for Petty and your post gets deleted??? This must be the new regime led by that tyrant CBF...

The Bills may like Petty. I guess that we will see this week whether or not they ask him on a 2nd date.

no way! that was probably as insightful of a post as we will see today too, honestly. tongue in cheek jokes about the overanalyzing of move, rumor of a move, lack of a rumor..... is about as meaningful as the actual analyzing being done. Edited by NoSaint

Interesting stuff. He looked good against Michigan State.

no way! that was probably as insightful of a post as we will see today too, honestly. tongue in cheek jokes about the overanalyzing of move, rumor of a move, lack of a rumor..... is about as meaningful as the actual analyzing being done.

Whoops, that was in another thread. Sorry for calling you a tyrant CBF.

Another thing to think about: what if the Bills got a hint that another team--say, the Jets for instance--love Petty,and are planning to take him in round 2?

This would be their last chance to go pick his brain and get a feel for what type of player he is before he goes into another team's system.

Or they may be baiting the Jets into taking him in Round 2 instead of Round 3.