Rex's total contract is more than all previous headcoaches

Probably figured they had to pay him enough to have him not just go to TV.

from everything we heard,he really preferred to stay in coaching and only as a HC (Not intererestedin going back to DC). He said he thought about doing TV if he didn't land a HC opportunity, but it wasn't his first choice because he thought it would be harder to get back in with a year in TV than it would be fresh off of a HC job, and he said he knew he wasn't done. But, he says this is his last stop as a HC. Edited by YoloinOhio

I kind of have a tough time believing that. Like the idea of seeing the numbers-- please. Marrone took 4 mil just for leaving.

I'll even help OP out...

Rex's deal is worth $27.5mil. We've been in the drought for 15 years. So those 5 coaches (not counting Fewell) would have to average $1.833mil/year to be at that.

Ralph was generous in many ways, but was convinced by his bean counter buddy Littman that he didn't need to be when it came to coaches. I don't know if Littman could even spell "football" but anyone in the league knows good coaches and front offices are the difference. Littman's departure alone should equal 2 or 3 more wins per year. Probably a little less profit but I don't think the Pegulas are eating mac and cheese every night.

In a league where parity rules, coaching takes on great importance. Beyond the head coach, the quality of coordinators and position coaches is critical. To acquire this expertise, you have to spend dollars, a concept completely lost on Ralph W. as he accumulated his billion dollars + fortune. This of course is reflected in the very sad win/loss record of this franchise.

Enjoy it WNY, this is what it feels like when you have a real NFL owner

In a league where parity rules, coaching takes on great importance. Beyond the head coach, the quality of coordinators and position coaches is critical. To acquire this expertise, you have to spend dollars, a concept completely lost on Ralph W. as he accumulated his billion dollars + fortune. This of course is reflected in the very sad win/loss record of this franchise.

Enjoy it WNY, this is what it feels like when you have a real NFL owner

yes. it shows. No shot at Mr Wilson ever. But wow. we gots us some real coaches

I'll even help OP out...

Rex's deal is worth $27.5mil. We've been in the drought for 15 years. So those 5 coaches (not counting Fewell) would have to average $1.833mil/year to be at that.

That actually seems believable until you factor in the years when we were actually paying multiple coaches due to firings and whatever the hell you call what happened with Marrone.

Ralph was generous in many ways, but was convinced by his bean counter buddy Littman that he didn't need to be when it came to coaches. I don't know if Littman could even spell "football" but anyone in the league knows good coaches and front offices are the difference. Littman's departure alone should equal 2 or 3 more wins per year. Probably a little less profit but I don't think the Pegulas are eating mac and cheese every night.

This is insane. Two seasons ago, Ralph hired Marronne, one of the hot college head coaches who was coveted by many teams. I thought they paid him something like 4M a year including the sweet out clause. Ralph was not cheap.

This is insane. Two seasons ago, Ralph hired Marronne, one of the hot college head coaches who was coveted by many teams. I thought they paid him something like 4M a year including the sweet out clause. Ralph was not cheap.

I dare you to use any poll of football fans to prove that Marrone was a "hot college coach".

Unless you're asking Russ Brandon, how exactly would hiring Doug Marrone and his Syracuse OC be considered "hot"?

I dare you to use any poll of football fans to prove that Marrone was a "hot college coach".

Unless you're asking Russ Brandon, how exactly would hiring Doug Marrone and his Syracuse OC be considered "hot"?

Go back two years and the only guy hotter was seemingly the possibility of chip Kelly. If that pr reflected nfl sentiments is a legit question but ESPN, Twitter and more had him at the top of lists.

He was. He was offered the Browns job too

The best thing to ever happen to the Bills was for him to quit

Go back two years and the only guy hotter was seemingly the possibility of chip Kelly. If that pr reflected nfl sentiments is a legit question but ESPN, Twitter and more had him at the top of lists.

And even in January 2015, everyone in ESPN, NFL, CBS had Marrone at the top of the list for HC vacancies. They were very sure that he will be the #1 sought HC for Jets, Falcons and even Chicago.

I guess you were tucked inside your basement two winters ago!!

That's my point, though. He's a top guy based on what? An interview with the Cleveland Browns?

Again, ask anyone and he was not a "hot" candidate. I don't doubt there was a lot of bogus PR spinning it after we hired him, but he wasn't the "hot" candidate.

That's my point, though. He's a top guy based on what? An interview with the Cleveland Browns?

Again, ask anyone and he was not a "hot" candidate. I don't doubt there was a lot of bogus PR spinning it after we hired him, but he wasn't the "hot" candidate.

who am i supposed to ask, in this ask anyone if he was a hot candidate for nfl jobs 2 years ago? i cant say i have many gms and front office personnel on speed dial. even before he was signed he was a "hot name" publicly.

he interviewed with us, philly, and cleveland, and the chiefs were allegedly high on him. peter king had him in the top 5 college coaches that nfl teams would want. he was a guy that was viewed as having NFL background, and generally college success. if you want to argue HOT vs pretty warm - ill have no issue but you cant pretend that he came out of nowhere and it was all post-hire PR. multiple NFL teams were interested in the guy, and nfl writers were covering him as the top college guy not named chip kelly.

who am i supposed to ask, in this ask anyone if he was a hot candidate for nfl jobs 2 years ago?

Obviously...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/01/report-cleveland-buffalo-to-interview-syracuse-coach-doug-marrone/

"Syracuse head coach Doug Marrone is already proving to be a hot commodity among teams looking for their next head coach."

Well, technically, Rex and most of his staff were in the Jets dumpster when Pegs hired him...

Actually......like a total soldier he and his staff didnt quit on the jets (like a certain HC did who is now a offensive line coach but I wont mention any names but his last name starts with M and sounds a lot like "MORON"

but anyways

Rex Ryan gave his all to the jets right up until they fired him.....even though the management above him OBVIOUSLY didnt give him the tools he needed to win at the end

• 2 weeks later...
Total known: $24.5 Million. Seven missing years. Rex Ryan: $27.5 Million

I'm going to guess that Gailey and Williams made more than $3 Million combined in the six years they coached (average salary would be less than $500,000). Surprisingly couldn't find Gailey or Williams with a bit of web searching. Not sure where else to look for those.

2015 Marrone $4 Million

2014 Marrone $4 Million

2013 Marrone $4 Million

2012 Gailey ?

2011 Gailey ?

2010 Gailey ? + Jauron $3 Million

2009 Jauron $3 Million

2008 Jauron $1.5 Million

2007 Jauron $1.5 Million

2006 Jauron $1.5 Million

2005 Mularkey $1 Million

2004 Mularkey $1 Million