Harvin: The world hasnt seen me explode like I'm about to

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its going to be an interesting season...here are some things to consider I see coming up all year:

1. Watkins, Woods, Clay, Harvin will all have a great impact on the success of this offense if healthy, but the stats wont reflect nearly the same impact. There is only one football to go around, and in a run first offense, those 4 guys will be inconsistent in terms of the stat sheet because we have so many play makers and any one of them is capable of a big week. So, while I believe Harvin can be explosive, I don't know if statistically it will come close to his most productive year simply because of how much the ball is likely to be spread around.

2. Harvin has to stay healthy. His ability speaks for itself, but its inability to stay on the field. The good news is with how many weapons we have, that may help him stay healthier as the ball is spread around more.

3. McCoy is most likely going to be a sizeable factor receiving the ball as well, taking receptions away from our talented foursome of Watkins, Woods, Harvin, and Clay.

4. I expect the "We should have taken OBJ" nonsense to not only continue and be fueled by the difference in stats of the people who only check stat sheets...all the while completely ignoring the fact that Sammy is going to be on a run first team with one of the most talented roster of offensive weapons in football to spread the ball around to while OBJ is going to be the focal point of his offense.

5. People are going to complain about Clays stats versus his contract all year because he is likely going to be inconsistent statistically again given the talent of the skill players and a run first offense...again ignoring what his real impact is and how he creates mismatches and opportunities for our 3 WRs and our Run Game.

All very valid points. Well put. I agree but I think the O is going to light it up this year. I think EJ will break out this year and this will be a high powered offense. The idea that they will be a run first type of O, opens the door for bigger plays in the passing game as defenses will be keying on the run. The receivers will have big games and shush the naysayers. Of course this is all just y opinion and you know what they say about that.

Yes and no. Harvin, McCoy and Watkins are all guys that can make huge plays with swing passes or simple slants or sweeps. You don't need great quarterbacking for a lot of plays to them. I very much doubt that Cassel or EJ or whoever is QBing will be doing a lot of seven step drops and going through progressions. Roman is going to design and call plays to get mismatch problems and guys like Harvin or Watkins to get single coverage and then get them the ball quick.

I've seen plenty if bubble screens and slants thrown poorly. The QB must play well if these weapons are going to make a difference. PEOPLE CAN SCREAM we've heard that before, but it's true, the QB must make plays to create an explosive offensive.

The good news is we likely don't need an explosive offensive if the defense is good. 20-24 points a game should get the job done!

If Cassels is good then we should be a contender. If he's average or bad then 8-8, here we come again.

I've seen plenty if bubble screens and slants thrown poorly. The QB must play well if these weapons are going to make a difference. PEOPLE CAN SCREAM we've heard that before, but it's true, the QB must make plays to create an explosive offensive.

The good news is we likely don't need an explosive offensive if the defense is good. 20-24 points a game should get the job done!

If Cassels is good then we should be a contender. If he's average or bad then 8-8, here we come again.

Orton was horrible, had much worse coaching, and way less weapons, and we were 9-7.

I have a good feeling about Harvin. He's been underperforming by his standards the last few years and from what I've heard from Pegula, Rex, the WR coach, now Harvin himself, and our loaded receiving corp, I think he really might breakout this year.

He could have visited other places, flashier places, but for some unexplained reason signed with us on his first trip despite reports of his inner circle trying to persuade him to visit other teams. Something about us appealed to him. I keep thinking about Pegula telling the story about Percy having a long conversation with Pegula's daughter on the private jet. Usually hearsay from owners and management is BS but sometimes when you read between the lines you can get a feel for things. My intuition is Percy has matured a lot and is ready to be a professional. Percy might know it himself and that's why he said what he said. Maybe he signed with us not just because of Rex's charisma, but because he wanted a quiet place to put his head down and get his career back on track.

I've been totally nailing fantasy picks the last few years based on my gut so hopefully I'm right about Harvin this year.

Edited by musichunch

From Kyle Williams...

"So, you don’t go in expecting bad things of people."

He doesn't know us very well, do he?

So he will average about 3 catches and 30 or so yards per game in 2015, then be released in the offseason before the big money kicks in next season. Or maybe he'll be traded mid season. Just like last year. Wonderful.

Please don't twist the words of another so that they are made (by you) to be the exact opposite of what the OP actually said. If you can't make a point without doing that then it's quite possible that you don't have one.

Shut up and prove it.

So, don't answer questions from the press? Should all of the players do the same, a team wide media ban?

The most beneficial WR out of all this HAS to be Robert Woods.......

With Watkins, Harvin, and Clay on the field with him Woods is gonna have a great season

hmmm.... Felton, McCoy, Clay, Harvin, Watkins Plus a marginal, run game QB and 5 O Linemen. Guess who the odd man out is. Only way Woods sees the field is if Felton or Harvin comes out. Not sure that's gonna happen much.

Edited by 8and8Forever

You and I were talking about him being trouble off the field, and in the locker room, not what he did on it.

Please don't twist the words of another so that they are made (by you) to be the exact opposite of what the OP actually said. If you can't make a point without doing that then it's quite possible that you don't have one.

You both missed my point. I wasn't twisting anyone's words around, I was trying to make the point that the poster was cherry picking by pointing out the good and ignoring the bad. Gushing over half a season of being a good teammate on the heels of being a terrible one - so bad that he forced a cheap trade - is a stretch in itself. Add in the fact that his production was below average during that time makes it worse. Hope that's clear now.

The eternal optimist I see....

I guess we should all just wish really hard and our dreams will come true. I just can't do the Pollyanna thing and lie to myself. I'll stick with a reality-based view of the world. People do sometimes change and I've acknowledged that possibility several times in this thread, but it's pretty rare. I hope he does and it works out, but I will need to see some proof before I count on it.

More talk is cheap. For most of his career, his body is more likely to explode and he is more likely to explode on his coaches.

Another guy who needs to grow up. Drop the angry little man syndrome and just play football. Because if you blow it here, you're mostly likely out of the league.

Its going to be an interesting season...here are some things to consider I see coming up all year:

1. Watkins, Woods, Clay, Harvin will all have a great impact on the success of this offense if healthy, but the stats wont reflect nearly the same impact. There is only one football to go around, and in a run first offense, those 4 guys will be inconsistent in terms of the stat sheet because we have so many play makers and any one of them is capable of a big week. So, while I believe Harvin can be explosive, I don't know if statistically it will come close to his most productive year simply because of how much the ball is likely to be spread around.

2. Harvin has to stay healthy. His ability speaks for itself, but its inability to stay on the field. The good news is with how many weapons we have, that may help him stay healthier as the ball is spread around more.

3. McCoy is most likely going to be a sizeable factor receiving the ball as well, taking receptions away from our talented foursome of Watkins, Woods, Harvin, and Clay.

4. I expect the "We should have taken OBJ" nonsense to not only continue and be fueled by the difference in stats of the people who only check stat sheets...all the while completely ignoring the fact that Sammy is going to be on a run first team with one of the most talented roster of offensive weapons in football to spread the ball around to while OBJ is going to be the focal point of his offense.

5. People are going to complain about Clays stats versus his contract all year because he is likely going to be inconsistent statistically again given the talent of the skill players and a run first offense...again ignoring what his real impact is and how he creates mismatches and opportunities for our 3 WRs and our Run Game.

Excellent post. To sum it all up -- stat-sheet watchers of the Bills this season will be disappointed, but the overall offense (and team) is likely to be significantly better.

hmmm.... Felton, McCoy, Clay, Harvin, Watkins Plus a marginal, run game QB and 5 O Linemen. Guess who the odd man out is. Only way Woods sees the field is if Felton or Harvin comes out. Not sure that's gonna happen much.

Woods will be on the field plenty, far more than Felton. He's the number 2 WR even with Harvin (mainly because Harvin will be used all over the field).

You both missed my point. I wasn't twisting anyone's words around, I was trying to make the point that the poster was cherry picking by pointing out the good and ignoring the bad. Gushing over half a season of being a good teammate on the heels of being a terrible one - so bad that he forced a cheap trade - is a stretch in itself. Add in the fact that his production was below average during that time makes it worse. Hope that's clear now.

A lot of players on the Vikings and the Seahawks said he was a great guy and great teammate, too. In fact, I don't think I have ever heard a player say anything bad about him, although I'm sure some number of them exist. Even Golden Tate.

This is why I hate fantasy football and what its done to the fans.

Woods will be on the field plenty, far more than Felton. He's the number 2 WR even with Harvin (mainly because Harvin will be used all over the field).

This ^

Watkins and Woods will be the traditional 1 and 2 WRs, especially since Harvin adds literally no value and is probably a negative in terms of down field blocking in the run game. I fully expect the reps to be similar at the end of the game between Woods and Harvin as there will be packages where its Watkins/Woods or Watkins/Havin, not to mention I still expect many 3 WR sets even with the addition of Felton.

We are going to run a lot, no doubt, but that doesn't mean we wont be creative in our sets and running out of 3 wide and even 4 wide formations. So I expect Woods and Harvin to see similar amounts of time on the field given they bring 2 completely different skill sets.

A lot of players on the Vikings and the Seahawks said he was a great guy and great teammate, too. In fact, I don't think I have ever heard a player say anything bad about him, although I'm sure some number of them exist. Even Golden Tate.

come on KTD -- hes super talented, but i think you are getting a little carried away with the model teammate angle here. the dude has had his issues.

Come on Kelly. Judging players by what other players think of them? Football player are meatheads. Incognito was popular in Miami. I bet Hernandez was popular with other players in NE.

Harvin has had issues with coaches since high school. Pete Carroll and Frazier are probably two of the easiest coaches to play for in any sport. And he couldn't handle them.

Let's not pretend that he is a different person because he's now a Bill. He has been an injury prone problem child. Hopefully, he has finally grown up. But like Incognito, let's wait and see.

come on KTD -- hes super talented, but i think you are getting a little carried away with the model teammate angle here. the dude has had his issues.

I'm not saying he is a model teammate and has no character issues. What I am saying are the facts. A lot of times, we fans think of certain players as good guys when they are scumbags, and sometimes we think of guys labeled scumbags who are actually great guys.

There are also a lot of players who get in arguments or fights in the locker room or do stupid stuff but they are actually great teammates and their teammates love them because on the field they work their ass off and try as hard as anyone. TO was a guy like that. Ricky Williams was a guy like that. TO was no problem whatsoever on most of teams he was on, including and especially the Bills.

I'm not saying he is a model teammate and has no character issues. What I am saying are the facts. A lot of times, we fans think of certain players as good guys when they are scumbags, and sometimes we think of guys labeled scumbags who are actually great guys.

There are also a lot of players who get in arguments or fights in the locker room or do stupid stuff but they are actually great teammates and their teammates love them because on the field they work their ass off and try as hard as anyone. TO was a guy like that. Ricky Williams was a guy like that. TO was no problem whatsoever on most of teams he was on, including and especially the Bills.

Whose opinion seems more revelant: Pete Carroll's or Marshawn Lynch? Harvin and Lynch are boys. That doesn't really seem like a ringing endorsement.

And you need to check your facts on TO. He helped destroy the Eagles and 49ers by being an attention starved diva. He did what he had to do in Buffalo because he was on his way out of the league.