Harvin: The world hasnt seen me explode like I'm about to

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope he's put in a position to succeed... Until then, It's all blah-blah, yaketty-schmackety.... I still think we need a BIG Target... 6'4" or better for whoever our QB ends up being... I likes 'em big.... If we can get that guy, that'll be the diffference.

Woods remains the team's second best receiver.

Easily.

we will see. i dont think "easily" is a fair assessment, but i think we have 3 true nfl starters now which is great.

I agree with Kemp that Woods is the second best WR on the Bills - until Harvin proves otherwise. Talk is cheap. All Harvin has proven is that he wears out his welcome quickly. While I sure hope he lights it up, I will believe it when I see it.

I'll take that a step further...we have three WRs who could legitimately compete to be the #1 on most teams.

sammy id agree

harvin id say some teams

woods i think is a #2 across the board essentially

and thats not a major knock - i just think its hard to be a #1 without the ability to take the top of the defense even as the focal point of their coverage. i think woods is very good at what he does but not that type of receiver.

Sammy - He'd be the best WR on some teams, but I think he is much better suited to be a "Y" rather than an "X".

Harvin - Nope, not a chance. He's an "X", but wouldn't be the best WR anywhere and hasn't shown he can be counted on due to both attitude and injury.

Woods - He's a good WR who can be counted on, but isn't a #1 anywhere.

Edited by BarleyNY

I think the way he is talking that he has been promised a bigger role in the offense than we know. I think they plan on making Harvin the number 2 receiver and Woods the Slot receiver which if that is the plan is stupid. I think Roman wants speed on the outside on running downs so if they cheat the safety up on running downs then they can go over the top. Then on 3 wide sets then Harvin goes to the slot. We will see

I agree with Kemp that Woods is the second best WR on the Bills - until Harvin proves otherwise. Talk is cheap. All Harvin has proven is that he wears out his welcome quickly. While I sure hope he lights it up, I will believe it when I see it.

Sammy - He'd be the best WR on some teams, but I think he is much better suited to be a "Y" rather than an "X".

Harvin - Nope, not a chance. He's an "X", but wouldn't be the best WR anywhere and hasn't shown he can be counted on due to both attitude and injury.

Woods - He's a good WR who can be counted on, but isn't a #1 anywhere.

to the first half -- hes shown to be pretty productive, and explosive. hes also been trouble, no doubt. trouble aside - go watch him when he was on the field.

as to the breakdown, as the original post was "compete to be a #1" i think its fair to say we generally agree on sammy and woods. harvin was that guy in minny, seattle traded for him to be that guy. down the stretch he was the #1 target in NY. i dont think hes a prototype #1 but i do think there are some teams that would see him potentially in that role. seattle gave up a pile of picks AND a monster contract.

I think the way he is talking that he has been promised a bigger role in the offense than we know. I think they plan on making Harvin the number 2 receiver and Woods the Slot receiver which if that is the plan is stupid. I think Roman wants speed on the outside on running downs so if they cheat the safety up on running downs then they can go over the top. Then on 3 wide sets then Harvin goes to the slot. We will see

generally speaking - yup. you also can have him or sammy come behind the play with end arounds (or fakes) to keep the defense honest horizontally, as well as vertically. i do think woods will see his share of snaps too though. heck, hogan had a heavy share last year.

Its going to be an interesting season...here are some things to consider I see coming up all year:

1. Watkins, Woods, Clay, Harvin will all have a great impact on the success of this offense if healthy, but the stats wont reflect nearly the same impact. There is only one football to go around, and in a run first offense, those 4 guys will be inconsistent in terms of the stat sheet because we have so many play makers and any one of them is capable of a big week. So, while I believe Harvin can be explosive, I don't know if statistically it will come close to his most productive year simply because of how much the ball is likely to be spread around.

2. Harvin has to stay healthy. His ability speaks for itself, but its inability to stay on the field. The good news is with how many weapons we have, that may help him stay healthier as the ball is spread around more.

3. McCoy is most likely going to be a sizeable factor receiving the ball as well, taking receptions away from our talented foursome of Watkins, Woods, Harvin, and Clay.

4. I expect the "We should have taken OBJ" nonsense to not only continue and be fueled by the difference in stats of the people who only check stat sheets...all the while completely ignoring the fact that Sammy is going to be on a run first team with one of the most talented roster of offensive weapons in football to spread the ball around to while OBJ is going to be the focal point of his offense.

5. People are going to complain about Clays stats versus his contract all year because he is likely going to be inconsistent statistically again given the talent of the skill players and a run first offense...again ignoring what his real impact is and how he creates mismatches and opportunities for our 3 WRs and our Run Game.

Its going to be an interesting season...here are some things to consider I see coming up all year:

1. Watkins, Woods, Clay, Harvin will all have a great impact on the success of this offense if healthy, but the stats wont reflect nearly the same impact. There is only one football to go around, and in a run first offense, those 4 guys will be inconsistent in terms of the stat sheet because we have so many play makers and any one of them is capable of a big week. So, while I believe Harvin can be explosive, I don't know if statistically it will come close to his most productive year simply because of how much the ball is likely to be spread around.

2. Harvin has to stay healthy. His ability speaks for itself, but its inability to stay on the field. The good news is with how many weapons we have, that may help him stay healthier as the ball is spread around more.

3. McCoy is most likely going to be a sizeable factor receiving the ball as well, taking receptions away from our talented foursome of Watkins, Woods, Harvin, and Clay.

4. I expect the "We should have taken OBJ" nonsense to not only continue and be fueled by the difference in stats of the people who only check stat sheets...all the while completely ignoring the fact that Sammy is going to be on a run first team with one of the most talented roster of offensive weapons in football to spread the ball around to while OBJ is going to be the focal point of his offense.

5. People are going to complain about Clays stats versus his contract all year because he is likely going to be inconsistent statistically again given the talent of the skill players and a run first offense...again ignoring what his real impact is and how he creates mismatches and opportunities for our 3 WRs and our Run Game.

I think winning will silence some of the detractors on Watkins and Clay

Harvin needs to stay healthy. He is a versatile potentially explosive offensive weapon. But his main issues has always been staying on the field and being an issue in the locker room.

His main issue is his inability to run routes like a true WR. Hopefully he proves this year that he can run routes and read a defense.

Well stated. Agree completely with everything you said. Good stuff.

to the first half -- hes shown to be pretty productive, and explosive. hes also been trouble, no doubt. trouble aside - go watch him when he was on the field.

as to the breakdown, as the original post was "compete to be a #1" i think its fair to say we generally agree on sammy and woods. harvin was that guy in minny, seattle traded for him to be that guy. down the stretch he was the #1 target in NY. i dont think hes a prototype #1 but i do think there are some teams that would see him potentially in that role. seattle gave up a pile of picks AND a monster contract.

http://www.nfl.com/player/percyharvin/80425/careerstats

My problem with Harvin is this: The Bills will be his fourth team in four years. He's played in 23 games in the last three years and 14 in the last two. If it was just injury issues I'd be taking more of a wait-and-see approach, but he's been a consistient locker room problem too. There is a lot of added risk there. I wasn't a fan before he got here and I'm not a fan now.

http://www.nfl.com/player/percyharvin/80425/careerstats

My problem with Harvin is this: The Bills will be his fourth team in four years. He's played in 23 games in the last three years and 14 in the last two. If it was just injury issues I'd be taking more of a wait-and-see approach, but he's been a consistient locker room problem too. There is a lot of added risk there. I wasn't a fan before he got here and I'm not a fan now.

How do you reconcile Rex spending a half season with him, loving him, the Jets players loving him (shown by the voting for the Ed Block Courage Award), the WR coach loving him, and Harvin choosing the Bills as his first and only visit, and wanting to sign the first day.

How do you reconcile Rex spending a half season with him, loving him, the Jets players loving him (shown by the voting for the Ed Block Courage Award), the WR coach loving him, and Harvin choosing the Bills as his first and only visit, and wanting to sign the first day.

CTE?

Seven random coincidences.

I guess I'd point to the Vikings parting ways with him, the multiple locker room altercations he had in Seattle, their decision to part with him despite the picks given up for him and the huge contract they gave him and the Jets decision to part ways with him after part of a season. I hope he has turned a corner and works out, but counting on it is foolish - at least at this time.

Seven random coincidences.

Lol, poor Buffalo will have a shortage of shrinks once the Bills finally do win the big one; all these cynics that don't know how to handle feeling great and confident.

I guess I'd point to the Vikings parting ways with him, the multiple locker room altercations he had in Seattle, their decision to part with him despite the picks given up for him and the huge contract they gave him and the Jets decision to part ways with him after part of a season. I hope he has turned a corner and works out, but counting on it is foolish - at least at this time.

Lucky we aren't counting on it? It's not like we dumped all the eggs in his basket- simply saying that he's incredibly talented