Whaley not happy Bills haven't done more to address OL

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OL is a huge problem for a team with our QBs. Combining this OL with our QBs and expecting those playmakers to produce isn't smart. This is the last huge hurdle for our team. We won't win with an average OL...even w/ this D and those playmakers.

OL is a huge problem for a team with our QBs. Combining this OL with our QBs and expecting those playmakers to produce isn't smart. This is the last huge hurdle for our team. We won't win with an average OL...even w/ this D and those playmakers.

We won last year with less talent on offense. Get the ball out quick into your playmakers' hands and let them make plays.

I remain confident that at least one of those three guys drafted last year will get coached up by the new staff and surprise this year.

I'm hoping the same. The fact is wood was at least an adaquate starter and Glenn was solid before the previous regime showed up. Both of their play declined, whether it be coaching or scheme, I don't know. Regardless, Aaron Kromer has a very good history of putting together good lines and I'm hoping these guys bounce back.

I haven't heard much about Richardson this offseason, but Kouandjio is working his ass off. Henderson obviously has some talent or he wouldn't have started. I'm really hoping they develope one or two of these guys.

I can't believe people are so quick to give up on these guys. There are countless examples of guys taking a couple of years to look like they belong. Mckelvin, bradham, Hughes, and hogan are all such players.

Edited by elroy16

Interesting Rex mentions the possibility of moving Glenn to LG. If CK really does turn it up this year, that would solve a lot of problems.

Henderson, Glenn, Woods, InC, CK

yeah, I know, Glenn won't like it going into his FA year....

C'mon man it's a legitimate concern.

I was just funning around. I agree 100%. But there's a lot of time between now and September.

Again, there are guys that surprise every year. We have a new coaching staff. Rex calls them all-stars. I am hopeful that at least one of our O-linemen drafted last year will step up.

Plus, there's still the rest of free agency and the draft.

Edited by jimmy10

Would I be correct in projecting that our starting O-Line will look like this?

LT-Glenn

LG-Incognito

C-Wood

RG-Urbik

RT-Henderson

I think so. Although, if CK is working as hard as they are saying, I could see him replacing Seantrel.

I will echo the sentiment that the line might not be in as bad a place as some are saying. If Urbik regressed due to coaching and his apparent lack of favor from Marrone, he can easily return to form. He was more than serviceable at RG under Gailey. I like to think that CK or Henderson can develop at RT too. It can be assumed that we will draft a guard and/or tackle again this year and one of these guys is bound to pan out. Maybe not top-10 line, but middle of the pack would be my projection.

This thread title is misleading. Whaley lamented the fact that they couldn't get 2 guys they targeted. But there are still players out there and again, I think that Incog starting at LG and Urbik moving back to RG will be major upgrades, while I think Henderson will continue to develop, there is Clay to help out on his side, and Felton as well.

Interesting Rex mentions the possibility of moving Glenn to LG. If CK really does turn it up this year, that would solve a lot of problems.

Henderson, Glenn, Woods, InC, CK

yeah, I know, Glenn won't like it going into his FA year....

And yes, as this is a recurring discussion, it is a possibility if both CK and Henderson step up. Seantrel had a terrible year, but great potential. I would feel much less comfortable with this plan for the first unit OL going into camp, but would be fine with this coming to fruition if they showed up big in camp.

Great PR move saying that as GM he's mad about something that serious fans know is an issue. Clearly a pre-emptive shot in case the OL struggles.

There's a guy in Washington DC who does it all the time this way. And rarely found culpable as well.

Edited by BillsVet

Whaley has second round pick that he can invest at the guard position to try and help the O-line. They were in on a lot of O-line this year, they just couldn't seal the deal. Hopefully Evans or another good veteran O-line is made available to address the O-line before the draft. InCognito and the new staff working with Cyrus and the young guys along should be enough to improve the line.

I think so. Although, if CK is working as hard as they are saying, I could see him replacing Seantrel.

I will echo the sentiment that the line might not be in as bad a place as some are saying. If Urbik regressed due to coaching and his apparent lack of favor from Marrone, he can easily return to form. He was more than serviceable at RG under Gailey. I like to think that CK or Henderson can develop at RT too. It can be assumed that we will draft a guard and/or tackle again this year and one of these guys is bound to pan out. Maybe not top-10 line, but middle of the pack would be my projection.

Those Pro Football Focus ratings have to be taken with a grain of salt, but I think Urbik's hit the nail on the head -- they had him at something like 56th out of 80 at guard. Does that mean:

A. he was one of the worst starting guards in football

B. he was one of the best backup guards in football

C. both of the above

Since there are 64 regular starting guards, I vote C. So that's not good, but it's not Richardson/Pears-style terrible.

And if Incognito can be roughly average (and I don't see why he can't be), that's a huge upgrade over Pears (I do realize they'll be playing opposite sides of center, but you get my point)

Allow for Glenn to have a better season (it's his contract year) and for either Seantrel to improve a bit or CK to take over, and I think we have reason to expect a significantly improved O line. Still below average? Yeah, probably. But not one of the worst O lines in football, which is what we were last year. And there's still time to find another guy out there. I am not a fan of drafting a couple more O lineman -- when you have so many inexperienced backups, there's no effective depth. But one guy with our 2nd round pick? Sure, why not.

Edited by The Frankish Reich